[Q] Using the secondary mic for phone calls

Search This thread

maayuur

May 1, 2014
Hello Folks,

I have an HTC One with a faulty primary mic, I have concluded it to be a hardware problem because its condition is the same after installing various different custom ROMs (the mic became faulty while on the stock ROM). I am using Viper ROM at the moment.

Now, with this problem, I have to use the mic from my earphones everytime I make a call. I am mostly OK with that, but I am trying to find ways where I should be able to use it without external mic in case I forget to carry my earphones/mic with me.

I was running the HTC Function Test the other day and discovered that my device comes with a secondary mic at the back of the phone, which works absolutely fine when I tested it. The recording (while holding as if I was talking on the phone) and playback from that mic was perfect. It would be really useful if I could either make it my primary microphone (calls, recordings, etc.) or atleast use it for phone calls. I don't know if there is a way from the hardware perspective, but I am quite sure we could do it by changing properties from within the build.

This is my first ever question, and I am counting on this community for the solution.

Cheers!

Reactions: bicho2015

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Not sure if it's possible. But if it's under warranty still why not get it fixed?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

djason89

May 14, 2013
Sydney
The primary mic seems to get clogged very easily with dust. I've read a few threads in the past where people thought their mic's were defective but after cleaning out the hole, the mic was working fine again.

maayuur

May 1, 2014
The primary mic seems to get clogged very easily with dust. I've read a few threads in the past where people thought their mic's were defective but after cleaning out the hole, the mic was working fine again.

That's exactly what I had thought as well, so instead of poking toothpicks into the mic hole, I disassembled my phone, took the mic out, looked at it, cleaned it carefully, assembled my phone back, started it all up... and it just didn't make any difference at all. :)

maayuur

May 1, 2014
Just to update the thread with the latest...

I ordered the spare via www/parts4repair/com and replaced it. The new microphone works perfectly well. Problem sorted :)

Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Folks,

I have an HTC One with a faulty primary mic, I have concluded it to be a hardware problem because its condition is the same after installing various different custom ROMs (the mic became faulty while on the stock ROM). I am using Viper ROM at the moment.

Now, with this problem, I have to use the mic from my earphones everytime I make a call. I am mostly OK with that, but I am trying to find ways where I should be able to use it without external mic in case I forget to carry my earphones/mic with me.

I was running the HTC Function Test the other day and discovered that my device comes with a secondary mic at the back of the phone, which works absolutely fine when I tested it. The recording (while holding as if I was talking on the phone) and playback from that mic was perfect. It would be really useful if I could either make it my primary microphone (calls, recordings, etc.) or atleast use it for phone calls. I don't know if there is a way from the hardware perspective, but I am quite sure we could do it by changing properties from within the build.

This is my first ever question, and I am counting on this community for the solution.

Cheers!