[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.6.3.1 V510 Palman LG G Pad 8.3 GPE

Search This thread

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
First thanks to drgravy who compiled this TWRP build for the LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (V510); device name Palman, a link to the official TWRP download page will be posted once the appropriate section for (Palman) has been created.

Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:
AgsV.png
WujW.png

Tablet look:
eIDZ.png

fYob.png

CHANGELOG for 2.6.3.0:
-Proper backup and restore of SELinux contexts (thanks to Tassadar)
-Pull in some ROM information for backup name generation
-Merge all recent patches from AOSP bringing TWRP up to date with Android 4.3
-Add 1200x1920 theme (thanks to Tassadar)
-A few other fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.1.0:
-Initial SELinux support (only a few devices, need testers so come by IRC if your device doesn't have it and needs it)
-Initial support for f2fs file system formatting (Moto X)
-Update SuperSU install for 4.3 ROMs
-Fixed a permissions bug on files created during backup
-Fixed a bug that caused TWRP to not wait for compressed backups to finish causing 0 byte files and md5sums to not match
-Fixed decryption of encrypted data so that both TouchWiz and AOSP decryption are possible
-Ignore lost+found folder during backup and size calculations
-Various other minor bug fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.0.0:
Special Note: If you are running a custom theme, you will likely need to remove that theme before updating to 2.6.0.0 as your custom theme will likely not have some of the new changes visible (e.g. you won't be able to encrypt a backup)!
-Can encrypt a backup to prevent theft of private data from your backup files
-Updated graphics / icon courtesy of shift
-Updated exFAT to latest commits
-Fixed a problem with Samsung TouchWiz decryption
-Update SuperSU binary
-Fixed saving of backup partitions list
-Fixed saving of last used zip install folder
-Fixed backup of datadata on devices that use a separate partition for datadata
-Fixed some issues with the advanced wipe list (android_secure, can now wipe internal storage on data/media deivces and wipe data on the advanced list no longer formats the entire data partition)
-Fixed some problems with partitioning a SD card
-Various other bug fixes and tweaks

Notes about encrypted backups:
Why encrypt your backups? -- Most people store their backups on the device. Any app that has permission to access storage could potentially read your backup files and try to harvest your data. Encrypted backups also provide an added layer of security if you move your backups to other storage devices or to the cloud. The encryption that we're using is probably not strong enough for enterprise level security, but should be strong enough to make it significantly difficult to get to your data.

Encryption is using OpenAES which uses AES 128-bit cbc encryption. If you happen to use a longer password (over 16 characters) then the encryption strength improves to 192 or 256 bits. Do not forget your password. If you forget your password you will be unable to restore your backup. We don't encrypt the entire backup. Encryption is very CPU intensive and can be fairly slow even when we spread the workload over multiple cores even on the latest high-end devices. To ensure that encrypted backups don't take forever, we don't encrypt any other partitions besides /data and in /data we don't encrypt /data/app (or other app related directories where apks are stored) and we don't encrypt dalvik cache.

DISCLAIMER:
I nor anyone else is responsible for what you do to your device.
but if something goes wrong I will do my best to help

Download:

TWRP 2.6.3.1 V510 Palman

How to flash:

Since this is a GPE Tab simply boot your device into fastboot. Easiest way is to do adb reboot bootloader.
Once booted into the bootloader simply issue this command:

fastboot flash recovery palman.img

Once done reboot into recovery and you should be greeted with TWRP.

CREDITS:

@Dees_Troy and team win for this wonderful recovery

Last edited:

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Confirmed working on GPE version.

Unlocok bootloader and flash recovery or you can just do "fastboot boot palman.img" and it will boot in recovery without flashing it (so you get to keep stock recovery in case you need to run an OTA later).

lasset

Jan 15, 2005
Malmo
Hi

I get the message "Waiting for the device", so how get the device in fastboot mode?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Last edited:

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Enable usb debugging or check if u have drivers

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

Sorry for the dumb question, but where do I get the drivers for the GPE? I used Dalingrin's easy root script for the LGE, but "adb shell" doesn't work with that minimal adb, so I'm assuming I need to grab a different driver?

UPDATE: Still looking for the drivers. I downloaded the latest ADT and had it install the Google USB Driver, but still neither "adb shell" nor "fastboot devices" works properly. Just to answer the obvious question, yes, I've enabled USB Debugging in Developer Options. Any thoughts on how I can get past this hurdle so that I can get to a point where I can root a GPE device?

UPDATE 2: Okay, I figured it out and have GPE all nice and rooted now! Basically just follow the instructions to root a Nexus 5 but use the recovery image on this thread and you should be golden!

Last edited:

Mixinitup4Christ

Jun 23, 2013
Grand Prairie, TX
The 4.4.2 update just hit my GPE running this recovery and it failed to install saying:

Is there any easy way to fix that?

I might have an easy answer for you, give me a few minutes to try it out first.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

The 4.4.2 update just hit my GPE running this recovery and it failed to install saying:

I think you can do this two ways, flash back to the stock recovery, or just run the stock recovery once from the bootloader. Flashing back to the stock recovery is probably the safest option, however I have an idea if you don't want to have to go back and forth.

Disclaimer, I'm an NOT expert with this so it may not work.....
Ok, for either option you'll need the stock recovery. You can download it from HERE (Stolen from AutoPrime's post).

I recommend putting the update ZIP and recovery image file in a folder of your root path (for me "C:\android\")

Here's my idea, have fastboot just boot the stock recovery once.

Make sure ADB debugging is enabled in "Developer Options"

Connect your USB cable and run

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Your tablet should reboot and your should see the bootloader screen, once you see the screen run

Code:
fastboot boot C:\android\17-recovery.img

fastboot should show you progress indicator and once it is finished your tablet should see a red exclamation mark. press the power button and then the vol. up button. This should show options 1. Reboot System 2. ADB Sideload, use the volume keys to select adb sideload then press the power key to select.

then
Code:
adb sideload C:\android\a0bd45922b5958a38acef76f577f527268ef90db.signed-KRT16O.L004_user-KOT49H.L004_user_update.zip

I think it will work, not sure if it will keep TWRP or overwrite it. Like I said earlier, I'm not an expert.

Reactions: SCWells72

katsika

Oct 15, 2013
Athens

Archon810

Feb 19, 2010
Oakland
I flashed TWRP after applying the latest OTA 4.4.2, and now it won't boot - just reboots into TWRP and has all kinds of errors about not being able to mount /data.

Any ideas for recovering from this?

Screenshot when trying to factory reset: http://i.imgur.com/Zyf1507.jpg

Edit: Had TWRP reformat /data, still nothing.

Last edited:

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
I flashed TWRP after applying the latest OTA 4.4.2, and now it won't boot - just reboots into TWRP and has all kinds of errors about not being able to mount /data.

Any ideas for recovering from this?

Screenshot when trying to factory reset: http://i.imgur.com/Zyf1507.jpg

Edit: Had TWRP reformat /data, still nothing.

Odd, I flashed the 4.4.2 OTA after restoring stock recovery, it updated then after the updated I flashed TWRP back, and am having no such issue.

Archon810

Feb 19, 2010
Oakland
Odd, I flashed the 4.4.2 OTA after restoring stock recovery, it updated then after the updated I flashed TWRP back, and am having no such issue.

What can we do right now to try to sort this out? I've also started http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48593224 to help with the recovery process, which I'm sure folks will find useful in the future.

I'm available for any kind of debugging. Could boot.img have gotten messed up somehow?

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
What can we do right now to try to sort this out? I've also started http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48593224 to help with the recovery process, which I'm sure folks will find useful in the future.

I'm available for any kind of debugging. Could boot.img have gotten messed up somehow?

I have an idea, looking at your screenshot it looks like a similar error that occurred on the N5 and TWRP early on after unlocking the bootloader...After you updated 4.4.2 and then did fastboot oem unlock, did you let the tab boot up? Because after you do that it sets a flag to format the system ext4 on first boot, if you flash a recovery before that happens and boot into recovery first you get errors....do this in recovery delete the file .twrps in /sdcard/TWRP use the file manager advanced...this is the TWRP settings file, once you do that then try to reboot system.

Archon810

Feb 19, 2010
Oakland
The problem is /sdcard/TWRP/ is completely empty. There are no files in there. I even checked using shell and ls -al.

And yeah, I didn't let it reboot after unlocking.

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
I actually have a replacement en route from Google to address a yellow tinted display. I think I'll wait until that gets here, let it update to 4.4.2, and then go through this process on that device.

Archon810

Feb 19, 2010
Oakland
I have an idea, looking at your screenshot it looks like a similar error that occurred on the N5 and TWRP early on after unlocking the bootloader...After you updated 4.4.2 and then did fastboot oem unlock, did you let the tab boot up? Because after you do that it sets a flag to format the system ext4 on first boot, if you flash a recovery before that happens and boot into recovery first you get errors....do this in recovery delete the file .twrps in /sdcard/TWRP use the file manager advanced...this is the TWRP settings file, once you do that then try to reboot system.

djkinetic, can you take a look at this reply? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48613367&postcount=10. Could it be that TWRP isn't accounting for something and it needs to do a little extra cleanup to reset a flag somewhere?

I've fastboot formatted cache and userdata already to no avail.

mpmilestogo

Aug 9, 2009
Union City California
djkinetic, can you take a look at this reply? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48613367&postcount=10. Could it be that TWRP isn't accounting for something and it needs to do a little extra cleanup to reset a flag somewhere?

I'm probably earlier in the process than you @Archon810. I have similar issues have a decreasing feeling that I will solve this any time soon. At this point, if I fastboot boot the recovery palman.img and try to install the noroot V510 zip image provided, I get the binary link error which was present on my Nexus 7 on twrp for awhile. I backleleveled the twrp to 2.6.3.0 on the Nexus 7 and this stopped that problem. More seriously, after all the stuff I've done to fix things, I fear I have probably borked things more than fixed them.

Now after any attempt at flashing anything in recovery whether I install the recovery or just boot from it, the result is binary file error.

Going to try restoring the default image and doing things again.

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago

Flash the stock recovery from here http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprim...Firmware/KRT16O_16_partitions/17-recovery.img

Then reboot in recovery see if it continues the format process from unlocking the BL

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

sualpine

Apr 26, 2009
Any way we can get a CWM build for V510 so that we can avoid the binary error from TWRP?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First thanks to drgravy who compiled this TWRP build for the LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (V510); device name Palman, a link to the official TWRP download page will be posted once the appropriate section for (Palman) has been created.

Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:
    AgsV.png
    WujW.png

Tablet look:
    eIDZ.png

fYob.png

CHANGELOG for 2.6.3.0:
    -Proper backup and restore of SELinux contexts (thanks to Tassadar)
    -Pull in some ROM information for backup name generation
    -Merge all recent patches from AOSP bringing TWRP up to date with Android 4.3
    -Add 1200x1920 theme (thanks to Tassadar)
    -A few other fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.1.0:
    -Initial SELinux support (only a few devices, need testers so come by IRC if your device doesn't have it and needs it)
    -Initial support for f2fs file system formatting (Moto X)
    -Update SuperSU install for 4.3 ROMs
    -Fixed a permissions bug on files created during backup
    -Fixed a bug that caused TWRP to not wait for compressed backups to finish causing 0 byte files and md5sums to not match
    -Fixed decryption of encrypted data so that both TouchWiz and AOSP decryption are possible
    -Ignore lost+found folder during backup and size calculations
    -Various other minor bug fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.0.0:
    Special Note: If you are running a custom theme, you will likely need to remove that theme before updating to 2.6.0.0 as your custom theme will likely not have some of the new changes visible (e.g. you won't be able to encrypt a backup)!
    -Can encrypt a backup to prevent theft of private data from your backup files
    -Updated graphics / icon courtesy of shift
    -Updated exFAT to latest commits
    -Fixed a problem with Samsung TouchWiz decryption
    -Update SuperSU binary
    -Fixed saving of backup partitions list
    -Fixed saving of last used zip install folder
    -Fixed backup of datadata on devices that use a separate partition for datadata
    -Fixed some issues with the advanced wipe list (android_secure, can now wipe internal storage on data/media deivces and wipe data on the advanced list no longer formats the entire data partition)
    -Fixed some problems with partitioning a SD card
    -Various other bug fixes and tweaks

Notes about encrypted backups:
    Why encrypt your backups? -- Most people store their backups on the device. Any app that has permission to access storage could potentially read your backup files and try to harvest your data. Encrypted backups also provide an added layer of security if you move your backups to other storage devices or to the cloud. The encryption that we're using is probably not strong enough for enterprise level security, but should be strong enough to make it significantly difficult to get to your data.

Encryption is using OpenAES which uses AES 128-bit cbc encryption. If you happen to use a longer password (over 16 characters) then the encryption strength improves to 192 or 256 bits. Do not forget your password. If you forget your password you will be unable to restore your backup. We don't encrypt the entire backup. Encryption is very CPU intensive and can be fairly slow even when we spread the workload over multiple cores even on the latest high-end devices. To ensure that encrypted backups don't take forever, we don't encrypt any other partitions besides /data and in /data we don't encrypt /data/app (or other app related directories where apks are stored) and we don't encrypt dalvik cache.

DISCLAIMER:
    I nor anyone else is responsible for what you do to your device.
    but if something goes wrong I will do my best to help

Download:

TWRP 2.6.3.1 V510 Palman

How to flash:

Since this is a GPE Tab simply boot your device into fastboot. Easiest way is to do adb reboot bootloader.
    Once booted into the bootloader simply issue this command:

fastboot flash recovery palman.img

Once done reboot into recovery and you should be greeted with TWRP.

CREDITS:

@Dees_Troy and team win for this wonderful recovery
    TWRP 2.8.0.0

I've built TWRP 2.8.0.0 for the LG G Pad 8.3 GPE. Download here if you're interested and flash using fastboot:
    http://d-h.st/0CR
    I'm posting a link here for the 4.4.2 update. The only thing I've done is removed the device check from the updaterscript. It worked on my device just fine. You'll be able to flash this with twrp with no problems. From what I can tell is that this recovery img wasn't made correctly for the device. It thinks that it is a v 500 which is the non-gpe... The device name needs to be palman. I'll look into building twrp correctly for our device but as I've never done it before no promises.

I might have an easy answer for you, give me a few minutes to try it out first.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I think you can do this two ways, flash back to the stock recovery, or just run the stock recovery once from the bootloader. Flashing back to the stock recovery is probably the safest option, however I have an idea if you don't want to have to go back and forth.

Disclaimer, I'm an NOT expert with this so it may not work.....
    Ok, for either option you'll need the stock recovery. You can download it from HERE (Stolen from AutoPrime's post).

I recommend putting the update ZIP and recovery image file in a folder of your root path (for me "C:\android\")

Here's my idea, have fastboot just boot the stock recovery once.

Make sure ADB debugging is enabled in "Developer Options"

Connect your USB cable and run

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Your tablet should reboot and your should see the bootloader screen, once you see the screen run

Code:
    fastboot boot C:\android\17-recovery.img

fastboot should show you progress indicator and once it is finished your tablet should see a red exclamation mark. press the power button and then the vol. up button. This should show options 1. Reboot System 2. ADB Sideload, use the volume keys to select adb sideload then press the power key to select.

then
    Code:
    adb sideload C:\android\a0bd45922b5958a38acef76f577f527268ef90db.signed-KRT16O.L004_user-KOT49H.L004_user_update.zip

I think it will work, not sure if it will keep TWRP or overwrite it. Like I said earlier, I'm not an expert.
    You should start a new thread with your link. There is also a 27.01 build out for the gpe.
    Has anybody tried this yet?
    What is new from 27.01?
    You mean 2.7.0.1. The download link's dead.
    I thought of starting another thread but then there would be 3 threads about TWRP for the gpe. Maybe if development for the two existing threads are truly dead then someone can get an admin to close the threads then I would start a new thread.