What do you think about the new WinMo 7?? Like or Not?

What do you think of the New Windows Phone 7 Series

• Total voters
Search This thread

Mr. Makk

Oct 17, 2008
Toronto
UPDATE: Thanx for participating in the poll but kindly leave a small comment along with it. Thanx:)

When we say Windows Mobile, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Emmmmm…
Extensive Customization!! - True
Multi Tasking!! - True
Copy Paste!! - True
External SD Card!! – True
Humongous Application and Easy Installation!! - True
Boring but we got UI replacements!! - That is true aswel
And we love that don’t we. That is because it has something that no other Mobile OS had before.
Well lets hear it from you people..
Was this what you were looking for? Or is it no where even close?

To read more go here - Windows Phone 7 might really die before its even Out?

Lets hear what you guys have to say.

Last edited:

havox22

Oct 2, 2008
what about love it hate it..u should add a poll but im getting 1 when they come out

fuzzywerewolf

Aug 23, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
looks outdated visually boring like all things microsoft lately. The official statement appears to be Manufacturers will also be restricted to the smart tile user interface so not a smart move when you compare with the Android System.

techSage

Aug 4, 2007
I'm not worried about losing the freedom that we have on WinMo - I'm confident that the community here will find a way - and a great way, at that - to allow everyone to get what they want out of WP7, or the way I put it to my friend: I'm sure XDA-Devs will have there way with WP7. :)

derliebewolf

Mar 2, 2006
world
www.flickr.com
I like the look and feel alot!!

But somehow I fear we will loose all our custimisazion possibilities...like custon ROM's simple apps, Registry tweaks, etc...

But lets see...

wmh

Dec 31, 2008
Like it quite a bit, seeing some great potential there.

I'm happy to see Microsoft used the Zune interface as guideline as many, including myself, liked the interface and where "hoping"/"seeing" the possibility of a phone entry to the Zune's menu structure. In this case Microsoft went further even and expanded on that UI just like i feel the Zune interface is an expanded/further developed titanium UI. Thank god we get rid of Touchflo/Sense finally, always hated it, but that's just my personal opinion ofc.

Next to that the new zoom/rendering/cleartype is very nice and a great addition to any OS.

Personally i dont care too much about all the social networking features as i hardly use them myself and suspect europeans overall use these less than americans. However i like the widespread intergration of these things, from the photo app, the Me tile etc. to the automatic selection of contact information.

Hope our great dev's and myself here at XDA will figure out the inner workings of it and be able to polish it to our liking.

my two cents for now :)

D@vide

Dec 27, 2005
here
Wait to see how much the new OS is far to customizations, I belive that here at XDA we can hack again ;) but why the no Power user can't? I don't complain with this new Apple/like orientation.

Hope it's not like it seems

D@vide

WhyBe

Dec 27, 2008
Looks good to me. It is what I was expecting from a new OS. It isn't just rehashing and repackaging old ideas. I just hope there will be a call manager available for it :p

madnish30

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2009
New Delhi-India.
It looks good and advanced.
The only fear is that microsoft will go the apple way and cut the developments........
If m$ has not done that there is not better company !
If m$ has done that ( and done successfully ! ) its a sad day for XDA community.

Hope for the best be prepared for the worst !
Jump over to android if m$ has backstabed us :rolleyes::rolleyes:

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
OS is just an OS. The application is more important.
If all the application needs to rebuild, I will simply go for android.
Why should I pay for an OS, when the efforts in the industry is now to be open source? What makes the os distictive are efficiency, multitask, free of dead lock ....But not UI.

If windows phone could make application runs on my HD lighting fast, I might go for it.

It is definetly the end to charge for a mobile OS. Will the greedy M$ make it free for us? If not, it is likely the end of wm.

skr_xd

Oct 27, 2006
Al Ain
www.mygadgetfriend.com
Now i understand why microsoft is not completely burying their 6.5.x series development:D
WM7 at its present state is not for me or for business people.
It is for Iphonish common consumers.
I was expecting WM7 to be an OS with same functional menus & functionalities as previous versions but UI but built on silverlight with zune & Xbox integration. Such a thing would have made WM7 to appeal all types of customers.
Its sad that micrsoft has decided to go in a rather commercial way as apple.
Unless WM7 supports custom skinning like Sense or Mobile shell, i don't think microsoft is going to win here.

Nov 12, 2009
They Need You

Years ago, in the dark ages, I was given a prototype computer from Europe to work with and redesign it if necessary. It was necessary. With some skill and a lot of luck I rebuilt a great computer for its time. The American company who owned the European rights to this computer was sinking $200 million into making this machine work for the US market. I was an independent designer (who had already upgraded this computer) and this large company did not want to listen to me or even give me anything for my work. So I never turned over the secrets to them but I wrote software for it for my software company. They worked on this computer for another 8 months and finally solved the problems. In the end, because other companies (like Commodor) beat this computer (that was way ahead of the others) to market, this great machine never caught on. The other computers weren't better but they were first and now were being used by the public. The company who would not sign a contract with me, lost their shirts in their computer division. The company was Timex.
I feel this may be the same problem with Windows mobile. Yes, they have terrific engineers but they should also look to you all on sites like this one to really get new ideas and advice. Because of this site and the programmers on it, my WM 6.1 OS has blown away even phones with snapdragon processors. I hope WM doesn't become a third rate OS because of their not listening to people like you on this site.

theclueless

Jul 30, 2008
Chicago
too little is revealed on the presentation, to me at least. i dont use social networking nor LIVE service (i do have XBOX360). i need a good organizer, customizable layout, multitasking, and NOT iphone alike!

chalid

Jan 18, 2008
WP7S seems to be too stripped down, compared to current WM versions. The press conference didn't go into detail, but I fear the highly customizable OS we came to know is a thing of the past - which is a bad thing imo.

But luckily Android is becoming a nice alternative.

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
the problem for ms is that so far most apps since pocketpc2000 works on our devices so if we can suffer the UI there are tons of apps free and paied you can use

leaving that would mean that android and even nokia n900 (also linux based) are already way ahead of ms in terms of apps and getting fancy games running also a thing ms say is not the aim of wm7 from the rumours i read say and if thats the case the no good gaming options
then iphone / ipod touch are also ahead of them

so far ms had pretty good development res for their mobiles being .net and microMFC as core techs

where iphone / ipod touch required you to buy a mac to make apps which given apples market % few developers had

not sure about how good the symbian/android/n900 development tools are
as an sdk is not really enough to make a good IDE

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
to be honest i find it pitifully bad.
as i was expecting it too be as soon as the words "stop, thinking off it as a pc, its a phone" came put right near the start.
no matter how much bull and spin and pr hype they put on it its a list based os. list after list after list...

this isn't really what people want is it?

I was really hoping for innovation instead its gone back 8 years.
forget windows phone, its gone windows dumb phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LOL...at you...I really LOLed at you...

hate for no reasons???

Look, mate. You're really making a lot valid points here. But your continious use of terms like "M$" or "lol, i loled at you" doesn't make you look very mature. How should anyone take you seriously when all kinds of discussions having with you end up in terms like that?

But back now to the points you've made. Even though most of them are true and valid, Microsoft can't be held responsible for every single one of them.

1)can't you feel Mango update will ditch our 1st gen device in terms of performance,

Most if not all presentations we have seen so far were made using devices with the specs our devices have. I didn't even notice one single decrease in performance. To be honest, the opposite was the case. Scrolling was way better than it is now. Even in third party apps.

2)can't copy text from websites to the notes app.

I guess you know that you actually can copy text from websites. If you can't, then either you don't know how or it's just by design of the website itself, not IE. In both cases it's not Microsofts fault, is it?
    Furthermore you can paste that copied text into OneNote without any problem. So are you talking about a third party note app? If yes, it's again not Microsoft who can be blamed for it.

3)marketplace no longer fetching updates for my downloaded apps,only solution is hard rest?

I share this problem and agree that Microsoft definitely needs to fix it. Doesn't require a hardreset though. Just connect your device to your PC, start Zune and wait a couple of minutes. You'll notice that all of a sudden your marketplace tile shows that there a updates available. Now disconnect your device, launch marketplace and get those updates. The issue itself seems to be temporarily. Because most days I get these notifications and don't need to connect my device to the PC.

4)can't pause or play music from lockscreen.

Simply not true. If it's not working for you, it's either a device specific issue or your device is simply broken and should be replaced. I never ever had any problems pausing and resuming music from the lockscreen on my HD7.

5)when facebook intergrated,I can't save the photos to my picture hub?

Huh? What are you talking about? Of course you can save pictures from your facebook folders.

6)when zune pass,local scout&etc not available in your country?

This has also been discussed several times. The availability of Zune Pass in other countries than the U.S. is not in Microsoft's hands. In Germany for example there are specific laws that just don't allow the way Zune offers music via Zune Pass.
    Local Scout and other Bing services is a different story though. I agree that it's yet way behind googles services and Microsoft needs to work on that quickly if they want to compete.

7)when your zune software does not show the marketplace due to the 1st time you download the zune is using a different account?how do you feel?

I don't know what you mean here. When I installed Zune for the first time I created an account and all worked right out of the box. But maybe you mean something different.

8)when multitasking is just remember the 5 recent apps you used and you cant close them???make sense???

Who said that it only remembers the last 5 recent apps? Close or not, what makes it any different from how Android and iOS handle it? I honestly think you don't quite understand how that multitasking used in mango really works and why it doesn't even affect performance. Mango will basically change only two things:

- make recent apps visible by holding the back button so you can switch between them
    - enable immediate restarts, which is even possible right now by just changing one registry key

Now what happens when exitting an application? The application state is cached on the storage (NAND devices will be a little faster here than devices using SD cards). If you now resume an app, it's loaded from the cache. Again, it's just pretty basically spoken. The process itself is more complicated.

9)When you don't have an unlimited internet data plan and sharepoint,it is frustrating to read documents or pdf file on your device????FFS...pin skydrive to home menu,in order to access skydrive?no native apps??

I'm quite convinced there will be an official skydrive app at some point. Even though there's no real need for it as all documents will be accessible straight from within the office hub.
    No one can force you to use skydrive though. If you prefer having your documents directly on your device, do so. But I agree that the current solution - sending the documents to yourself via E-Mail - is a pain in the ass. But with skydrive? Sync your documents to your device via WiFi and you're good to go.

10)use microsd as storage but unswappable?damn...when I first bought my htc mozart device,there are only 5.8GB available for me???good idea?

I don't like it either, agreed. But is that any different from what Apple does with their devices? No. It's exactly the same. At least some of us are able to replace the built in SD cards easily.

11)when camera don't remember the setting?don't tell me about mango,it is not confirmed yet.

Wrong, it is confirmed. If it's good or not that the settings aren't saved yet depends on a certain point of view though. I for one would like to be able to save them. But I know a lot of people that like it just the way it is.

12)thread in mango???is the real deal??or it is just copied from HP webOS synergy?

Is it? I don't know. But I like it. Seems to be a good solution to me.

13)when pac man and the harvest are 10USD in your country,you feel good?I can get angry birds+infinity blade and tiny wings for my iphone...don't thhey(apple and m$) paying the same taxes?

I completely agree.

14)Lousy notification system???live tiles??what if you didn't pin the app to menu?and the stupid marketplace,once there are updates for my apps,even if i updated all,if i press home button to go back to home screen,the live tiles still showing updates are available.

Yeah, I whish notifications would be stored somewhere so they could be accessed later. But in most cases live tiles work very well for me.

15)no points for me to saying too much...please....WP7 fanboys please wake up and look around...there are something better and of course I didn't say that the future of WP7 is not good,but please admit the disadvantages at current stage....current stage....nodo...

Well, I admit that WP7 has its downsides. But I'm still very happy with it and believe it will even get better. See, every OS has its pros and cons. It always depends on personal likes and dislikes. What is good for me may not be good for you and vice versa.