[APP]Bluetooth Keyboard Easy Connect

Search This thread
Nov 1, 2007
Moscow
www.mybesttools.net
Hi guys,
I was frustrated to find out that I was not able to connect my newly bought bluetooth keyboard. I could pair it within Bluetooth settings, but it always shows "Paired but not connected".
Even more frustrating is that the developers of apps which allow for a working connection to the keyboard are asking around 10 USD for the app.
I don't care about any features like shortcut keys and such. I just need a connected keyboard.:eek:
I decided to write an app which exactly does just this. For free, as it should be!

Description
-------------
A service which connects your bluetooth keyboard device.
Android 2.3 has support for HID devices but is not able to connect bluetooth keyboard devices correctly (yet).
This service automates the connection to your keyboard.
There are no extra features like key mappings a.s. (yet)

WARNING
---------------
This application needs superuser permissions!

You can find this app in Google Market. Search for "easyconnect"

BTW If anyone finds any bugs, or inability to connect a certain device, please let me know the details and I will work on a fix.

Thanx for sending logs, I fixed a number of issues:

- No longer scanning every 15 seconds. Instead it monitors connection state.
- Connection now is event driven. Device nearby will connect it.
- added notification of device connection
- Preventing Android from closing the service after a certain time.
Keep sending bug reports guys!

Compatible keyboard devices (from user comments):

- iGo Stowaway XTBT01
- CVDH-A66 Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for Smartphones, iPad, iPhone, PS3, More
- Apple Bluetooth keyboard
- Freedom i-Connex Mini
- Broadcom Keyboard Device (German keyboard with annoyingly positioned connect button which needs a toothpick to be pressed)

Latest update:
Finally got some time to work on stability.
Let me know if you have troubles getting it to work for you.
Working on keymaps ;-) as well
Fixed a FC on startup after installation

Greetz,

Mike

Last edited:

Forge94

Dec 19, 2009
Wow this is perfect! Thanks so much!
Previously I had a shortcut to bluetooth settings on my home screen to try and connect as quick as possible, but this is 50 times better. I don't have to enter any stupid pins and make sure I press the pairing button at the right time.
I did have one little hang and lag which finished with a force close. But all good nonetheless.

I'm using a mini bluetooth keyboard with a N1 running CM6.1.1 btw which I typed this message with.
5 stars on the market ;)

Edit: Wait, so as long as you're using this app, you dont need a ROM that supports Bluetooth HID devices? As long as your phone is rooted, anyone can use this?
If so, hats off to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: winter-92

neilbantoc

Oct 16, 2010
For as far as I can see anyone can use this, because in a way, the bluetooth stack is actually available for Human Interface Devices in Android starting at 2.1 update 1 if I'm correct.

Yeah but i experienced something different. I just got my phone from a Samsung Repair center because i kinda bricked it while upgrading to froyo so i had them upgrade it. Since i was already in a mall, i decided to visit a powermac store to try out the apple bluetooth keyboard that is reported to be working with the Galaxy S froyo update. Unfortunately i was not able to detect the bluetooth keyboard, and made a fool of myself because the apple guy that was assisting me didn't believe at first that a mobile phone was able to use a bluetooth keyboard (yeah, he didn't know that the iphone 4 that they were selling was compatible with the bluetooth keyboard.. i didn't tell him though..)

so maybe this app might work.. im going to try it out when i return to that powermac store..

Nov 1, 2007
Moscow
www.mybesttools.net
The code is there, but it's not complete. It doesn't connect hid devices by itself yet. My app takes care of that. good luck trying it.

I noticed some bug already, so there will be an update very soon.

:D

Last edited:

digital8

Sep 23, 2008
Noord-Brabant
I can't find this app on the marketplace when i search for easyconnect, how did you guys find it..?

Edit.,

Found it here., www appbrain.com/app/bluetooth-keyboard-easyconnect/net.mybesttools.btkbservice

Last edited:

carrot34

May 22, 2007
This is phenomenal! Thanks so much. Using with a iGo/ThinkOutside Stowaway ultra-slim keyboard and it works great. I've used BlueKeyboard, but it has a number of issues: frequent force-close errors, easily-accidentally-triggered switches into Japanese mode. This is much easier and more reliable! Thank you!

hejhej.ac

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks! But should really be supported by default in android and without root! Hopefully google will fix this in a new version of android.

Nov 1, 2007
Moscow
www.mybesttools.net
You'll have to test it to find out. ;-)

Latest update v0.3 :

- no longer scanning for bluetooth devices. Instead it checks for connectivity with the pheripheral device directly trough a socket connection.

Last edited:

daveaus

Jul 13, 2004
I could pair it within Bluetooth settings, but it always shows "Paired but not connected".

Hi,

Will this work with any Bluetooth device? I have the exact same problem with my cars head unit.

In Froyo it will connect if I either go into the bluetooth settings and press on the connection or if I turn bluetooth off and on.

In Gingerbread its the same as Froyo except for added annoyance it asks for the pin each time.

Thanks

Edit: Just tried it and it doesnt work, would it be hard to make a version for phone / media profiles?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2007
Moscow
www.mybesttools.net
A device as such is not a Human Input Device. As you can see A2DP is supported starting at cupcake. http://source.android.com/porting/bluetooth.html
If you want the ability to wirelessly stream music, the head unit must support Bluetooth A2DP. Currently, the majority of Bluetooth car stereos only support the Handsfree profile, which only allows you to make and receive phone calls via the head unit.
This post might be of help:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=649059

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
It will not come up in the Market:confused:

That's all i get when i search for "Easyconnect"

Attachments

• snap20110125_082835.jpg
    snap20110125_082835.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 396
  • snap20110125_083247.jpg
    snap20110125_083247.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 384
Nov 1, 2007
Moscow
www.mybesttools.net
A quote from Android Developers:

How Filters Work in Android Market

Android Market uses the filter restrictions described below to determine whether to show your application to a user who is browsing or searching for applications on a given device. When determining whether to display your app, Market checks the device's hardware and software capabilities, as well as it's carrier, location, and other characteristics. It then compares those against the restrictions and dependencies expressed by the application itself, in its manifest, .apk, and publishing details. If the application is compatible with the device according to the filter rules, Market displays the application to the user. Otherwise, Market hides your application from search results and category browsing.

You can use the filters described below to control whether Market shows or hides your application to users. You can request any combination of the available filters for your app — for example, you could set a minSdkVersion requirement of "4" and set smallScreens="false" in the app, then when uploading the app to Market you could target European countries (carriers) only. Android Market's filters would prevent the application from being visible on any device that did not match all three of these requirements.

A filtered app is not visible within Market, even if a user specifically requests the app by clicking a deep link that points directly to the app's ID within Market. All filtering restrictions are associated with an application's version and can change between versions. For example:

•If you publish a new version of your app with stricter restrictions, the app will not be visible to users for whom it is filtered, even if those users were able see the previous version.
•If a user has installed your application and you publish an upgrade that makes the app invisible to the user, the user will not see that an upgrade is available.
So it means you have a device with a Android version which is not compatible.

I could lower the minimum version for you so you can at least try the app.
I cannot lower it any further then SDK version 5 because it lacks some needed functionality in the bluez stack.

Last edited:

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
I found this on appbrain and i see it says android 2.2 and up.

My Samsung Galaxy S Epic is running a stock 2.1 rom. Thanks for the offer but that's totally up to you if you want to let the app on to all the 2.1 phones. It just sounds cool :cool: and something useful to have installed. I don't have a bluetooth keyboard

daveaus

Jul 13, 2004
If you want the ability to wirelessly stream music, the head unit must support Bluetooth A2DP. Currently, the majority of Bluetooth car stereos only support the Handsfree profile, which only allows you to make and receive phone calls via the head unit.

Thanks for replying, my head unit does support A2DP and it works fine once I manually initiate a connection. The problem is it doesn't connect automatically the same way your Bluetooth keyboard doesn't connect on its own.

Nov 1, 2007
Moscow
www.mybesttools.net
[Updated version available]

Guys,

I just upped v0.5. Let me know your experiences.
The minSDK version is lowered to make it available to android versions 2.0 and up. I was not able to test that, so please let me know if it does/doesn't.

:cool:

Forge94

Dec 19, 2009
It doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.
The first version worked but drained battery like crazy.
With the newest version from the market, I turn BT on, put keyboard into discoverable and nothing happens.
0.1 would connect after both those steps...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    I was frustrated to find out that I was not able to connect my newly bought bluetooth keyboard. I could pair it within Bluetooth settings, but it always shows "Paired but not connected".
    Even more frustrating is that the developers of apps which allow for a working connection to the keyboard are asking around 10 USD for the app.
    I don't care about any features like shortcut keys and such. I just need a connected keyboard.:eek:
    I decided to write an app which exactly does just this. For free, as it should be!

Description
    -------------
    A service which connects your bluetooth keyboard device.
    Android 2.3 has support for HID devices but is not able to connect bluetooth keyboard devices correctly (yet).
    This service automates the connection to your keyboard.
    There are no extra features like key mappings a.s. (yet)

WARNING
    ---------------
    This application needs superuser permissions!

You can find this app in Google Market. Search for "easyconnect"

BTW If anyone finds any bugs, or inability to connect a certain device, please let me know the details and I will work on a fix.

Thanx for sending logs, I fixed a number of issues:

- No longer scanning every 15 seconds. Instead it monitors connection state.
    - Connection now is event driven. Device nearby will connect it.
    - added notification of device connection
    - Preventing Android from closing the service after a certain time.
    Keep sending bug reports guys!

Compatible keyboard devices (from user comments):

- iGo Stowaway XTBT01
    - CVDH-A66 Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for Smartphones, iPad, iPhone, PS3, More
    - Apple Bluetooth keyboard
    - Freedom i-Connex Mini
    - Broadcom Keyboard Device (German keyboard with annoyingly positioned connect button which needs a toothpick to be pressed)

Latest update:
    Finally got some time to work on stability.
    Let me know if you have troubles getting it to work for you.
    Working on keymaps ;-) as well
    Fixed a FC on startup after installation

Greetz,

Mike
    Wow this is perfect! Thanks so much!
    Previously I had a shortcut to bluetooth settings on my home screen to try and connect as quick as possible, but this is 50 times better. I don't have to enter any stupid pins and make sure I press the pairing button at the right time.
    I did have one little hang and lag which finished with a force close. But all good nonetheless.

I'm using a mini bluetooth keyboard with a N1 running CM6.1.1 btw which I typed this message with.
    5 stars on the market ;)

Edit: Wait, so as long as you're using this app, you dont need a ROM that supports Bluetooth HID devices? As long as your phone is rooted, anyone can use this?
    If so, hats off to you.
    sorry, previous post was posted outdoor via the onscreen keyboard.. so let me explain now..:)

in /sdcard/btk You have to put your bluetooth mac address of the keybord..

for example

echo AA:22:BB:44:55:66 > /sdcard/btk

where AA:22:BB:44:55:66 has to be your keyboard bluetooth address

If you have installed the app (and downloaded bluez utils), then you can find hidd binary...

find /data/data -name hidd

(then you can copy it to whenever location you want)

Then the success way to connect is as:
    1. turn on the bluetooth (on the phone)
    2. turn on the keyboard
    3. make the keyboard discoverable (e.g. press the flat button right of leds). The blue led has to start blinking
    4. execute the command:
    hidd -t 15 --connect `cat /sdcard/btk`

Ok it is ugly method (working for me:), i have setup a script which do the job, and call it from the notification area via gscript lite).

The better method is this workaround* to be included in the app (may be the developer will be glad to do it for some beers:)

*workaround:

this bluetooth keyboards (e.g. yours and mines broadcoms ones) are not visible unless the blue led is blinking. so the hidd binary is not able to connect to them.
    That's why i have to "steal" the hidd binary and do the things so they work for my setup.
    IMHO if the app has the possibility to "search" just for one keyboard (instead of all paired, or all in range). And this search to be not exactly search, but just "blind" connect, it should work.
    Anyway the app is great (especially in terms of ease of use).

So hope it helps (btw, will be glad to try to make some patches if there are source of the app)
    I have an iGo Stowaway keyboard, but have no idea where the (paper) manual that came with it is (it's been years.

I couldn't even remember how to put the thing into discoverable mode, so I went searching, and found a couple of online manuals for the keyboard, but specific to not Android devices (given Android's non HID support, I guess that's a 'duh!')

So, assuming some other folks might be in my same position, I excerpted the relevant parts, made some edits, and the result is pasted below.
    Note that this will only get you as far as 'paired but not connected' state - but it's a start

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Relevant info excerpted from an online copy of a manual for an iGo keyboard for a different OS.

On the Android device, go to Settings / Wireless & Networks.
    Set Bluetooth to ON, if it isn't already.
    Tap 'Bluetooth Settings'.
    Tap 'Scan for devices'.

Put the keyboard into Discoverable mode: Press the <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> keys together until the green LED (above the <T> key) flashes once per second.

The keyboard should appear as a 'Think Outside Keyboard'.

On the Android device, there should now be a block labeled 'Think Outside Keyboard / pair with this device'. Tap that block.

There will be a dialog box "Bluetooth Pairing Request".
    Enter a Passkey of your own choosing (of 1-9 digits), using the tablet on-screen keyboard.
    NOTE: The Passkey must contain only digits, for example 12345.

Next, type the same Passkey number on the Stowaway keyboard, using the <Left Fn> + <Number> keys.
    When finished, press the <Enter> key on your keyboard.

If the Passkey is entered successfully on both devices, the message "Think Outside Keyboard Paired" will appear on the Status tab. If the keyboard does not show up as paired:
    a. Press the <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> keys together on the keyboard again.
    b. Or, power cycle the keyboard (close and reopen), then press <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn>.
    c. Or, check that the Red LED on the keyboard is not lit after a power cycle, indicating a dead battery condition.

If the passkey is not entered correctly, the pairing will fail. In this case you will need to re-start at 'pair with this device'
    NOTE: Enter the passkey on your Android device first, press OK and then follow with the passkey on the keyboard.
    When finished, press the <Enter> key on the keyboard.

Even when disconnected, the mobile device and the keyboard remain paired. The keyboard will only reconnect to the paired mobile device. To break pairing press <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> for approximately 1 second or until the green LED flashes quickly. Normally, you'd only need to do this to use the keyboard with another device.
    If you break pairing by pressing <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn>, you will have to re-establish pairing.

Notes on the keyboard status light:

When the keyboard is open there is a light above the <T> key that indicates the status of the keyboard.

- When the keyboard status light flashes a fast green light (approx. once per second) it is in Discoverable mode. This is the state that allows it to be detected by the mobile device. To place the keyboard in Discoverable mode, use the <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> key combination.

- When keyboard status light flashes a slow green light (approx. once every four seconds) it is connected to the mobile device and is available for use.

- When the keyboard status light is solid red for 5 seconds after power on, the batteries must be replaced before the keyboard can resume normal operation.

- When the keyboard is not connected to the mobile device, the status light is dark. This happens when a connection or reconnection has not been established or the connection has been broken.
    Hey, Android2k -- It looks like you're having the same errors I was having with the same keyboard. (Yes, ol' XTBT01 is still the best out there. I even keep a couple of spares on hand just in case...) But the original version of Mike's app from January works fine for me. If this is kosher (is it?), I could send you that .apk for you to try.

--Alan