LCD Mura

Search This thread

chockchip

Dec 21, 2007
Kaohsiung City
Has anyone else experienced "LCD mura" with their Primes, and if so, has the issue gotten any worse since you noticed it? LCD mura looks similar to light bleed, but not in corners of the screen. Rather, it is a small blotch/"bright spot" appearing anywhere on the screen. I have one such problem area that showed up after owning the Prime for about a month. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it's annoying on white backgrounds. I'm wondering how common of a problem this is. A Google search shows that it's a somewhat regular occurrence on cheaper LCD screens.

yes i have exactly same problem my spot is somewhere near center of the screen ...it is very noticeable under white background or yellow. i sent back to Asus for fix and try to request them to replace the panel but they told me that this case is not cover under Asus warranty. so i got back my prime without any fix.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012
I've had 3 screens and each one has either developed mura, or ,on my last one, came back from RMA with it already there! - it's gone back for one last RMA. After 3 hardware repair failures Asus will think about a refund, so if it happens again I shall probably be looking elsewhere. The ATP is so close, but it keeps on messing up in QC.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
Anyone have mura in a line? I have a bright section of pixels on the tablet right about where it would line up with where the spacebar meets the bottom oft he keyboard. Is that mura? Is it covered under warranty?

twoshortplanks

Jan 21, 2013
Mura effect TF201

I have had this Mura effect on my Transformer Prime for a number of months. It is centre of screen about 1cm up from the bottom. Having read many of the forums regarding ASUS RMA I decided not to send it back. That was until the rear camera went green-screen and the audio-out socket became intermittent. I RMA to their repair centre in Czech Republic, just got a bill from ASUS for 276 Euro for customer induced damage CID. I am questioning the bill with them at the moment as, like yourselves, believe it is a faulty panel not CID. I have used the contributions to the various forums to back up my case and I will keep you posted.

22/01/13 I was informed by email that because I queried the CID charge my repair has been passed back to servicing for further investigation.

24/01/13 Emailed ASUS as to delay in getting back to me .

25/01/13 Received the following response, "We apologise for any delay caused. Our service team need to contact our repair centre first and wait for their response.
Once they have received the information you will be contacted as soon as possible."

28/01/13 20:30 No contact from ASUS,about to email again

29/01/13 Received email from no_reply@asus.com including a reduced invoice dated 18th January 2013 for CID of 192.26 Euro stating that the camera and audio out issues would be fixed under warranty and therefore shipping will be paid for by Asus. I have forwarded this email to my earlier contact at Asus again stating that I do not accept that the mura effect is cid. I also asked why it had taken 10 days for the new invoice to filter down to me.

01/02/13 Since I did not get a reply I phoned customer services and was told to go on-line and fill out the form at a given web address (not able to post link) and to expect reply within 48 hours.

04/02/13 No reply by 1400 so rang customer service. Had an enlightened chat with anon to the effect that Asus decide what is CID Mura by comparing the damage on the screen to a database of photographs of Mura effects which their engineers have access to, very scientific :). I also learned that LCD screens can be easily damaged by simply handling them???? Odd sort of a statement when the item in question requires the user to handle it in order to communicate with it.

As I was talking to customer services I received a reply from customer complaints again informing me that the charge for the screen replacement still stands. They also gave me the contact details for Citizens Advice Consumer Service if I wished to contact them. I do not live in the UK so instead I contacted the my local European Consumer Centre to see it they can help. I have also written to: Customer Service Manager,Asus UK LTD,Focus 31,West wing first floor
Cleveland road,Hemel Hempstead,HP2 7BW,United Kingdom.. I await a response from both of the above.

25/02/13 Had a couple of email exchanges with asus support in the mean time and received a written unsigned reply from Customer Service Manager. No change to status, camera and audio a warranty fix but screen replacement chargeable. I have instructed them to do in-warranty repairs and return the unit.

The letter does contain one interesting sentence "If you believe that your product is not fit for purpose I can only suggest taking this up with your place of purchase."

I believe that UK consumer law states that electronic goods have a minimum 2 year warranty irrespective of the manufacturer warranty.

I await the return of the unit to see if their repair have worsened the mura effect, if it has I will be going down the consumer law route.

Last edited:

vipergrm

May 20, 2009
I am also in a dispute with Asus over a repair. From the image below you'll see that the mura effect is quite noticeable in the centre of my screen. I contacted Asus about this and they want me to pay 404 Euro for the cost of replacing the screen yet others are being charged 270 Euro? Anyway that doesn't really matter as I don't think I should be paying any amount for it. I cannot understand how they can possible say I've cause this fault. It is supposed to be tough gorilla glass and yet it can't withstand the normal daily presses it was designed to do in the first place?

I am very careful with my devices and I've always looked after my Transformer (TF300). This will be the last Asus product I will ever buy if this is the way they treat their customers.

imag0351llf.jpg

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
I am also in a dispute with Asus over a repair. From the image below you'll see that the mura effect is quite noticeable in the centre of my screen. I contacted Asus about this and they want me to pay 404 Euro for the cost of replacing the screen yet others are being charged 270 Euro? Anyway that doesn't really matter as I don't think I should be paying any amount for it. I cannot understand how they can possible say I've cause this fault. It is supposed to be tough gorilla glass and yet it can't withstand the normal daily presses it was designed to do in the first place?

I am very careful with my devices and I've always looked after my Transformer (TF300). This will be the last Asus product I will ever buy if this is the way they treat their customers.

imag0351llf.jpg

Asus didn't give me a problem with paying to fix my mura. It sucks they're giving you a hassle. Asus lost me as a customer too. My Prime has been sold, I'll never buy an Asus product again, and I've been bad mouthing them to all of my friends and family who ask me for advice on their tech purchases. They are a despicable, awful company, and I wish them nothing but the worst.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

twoshortplanks

Jan 21, 2013

I wish you better luck with Asus than I have had. I think they see these repairs as a cash cow to try and re-coup losses incurred an trying to rectify earlier issues with the device.

Reactions: rcca

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone else experienced "LCD mura" with their Primes, and if so, has the issue gotten any worse since you noticed it? LCD mura looks similar to light bleed, but not in corners of the screen. Rather, it is a small blotch/"bright spot" appearing anywhere on the screen. I have one such problem area that showed up after owning the Prime for about a month. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it's annoying on white backgrounds. I'm wondering how common of a problem this is. A Google search shows that it's a somewhat regular occurrence on cheaper LCD screens.
    Yes had two such areas on my TF201. Had the sreen replaced under warranty.
    My dead pixel area now has what looks like spider legs radiating from it (only short, maybe 3-4 mm long) and my number of mura spots has grown from one to 5.

It seems like my LCD is slowly dying. I contacted Asus today and am waiting reply.
    Has any one else noticed that in the Warranty information given in the box with the Prime, Asus seems to have expected mura, or something like it, to occur? There's a whole passage on LCD defects and what they will and won't cover, including the number of spots, the background they appear against, and their proximity to each other. It looks like they knowingly shipped cr*p!
    Have you gotten your Prime back yet? Any updates on what they said in response to the mura issue? Also, how did you initiate the RMA process?

Sorry, had too many threads to reply in about this that I forgot (aka one other lol). Anyways, prime came back within 12 days in my hands. No issues anymore that I see mura, but there might be some screen bleed after the repair. Doesn't bother me so oh well :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app