[UPDATED] ZTE Open C 2.1 - modUI

Search This thread

a_tumiwa

Jul 16, 2014
Does anybody have problems with the sleep state of the device?
It's sometimes not possible to wake up the phone with the power button.
Only a connection to the USB port enables the login screen or wakes up the device.

it's hardware problem, try pressing the power button very very hard (1 hand is not enough, use 2 hands and push on table surface) , it's a bad quality control by zte

n00bn3ss-stark

Oct 20, 2014
sim card locked issue

I've finally managed to install your build with the cw_recovery_50.img (was a real struggle :p)
seems very cool and seems to work fine except for the fact that the sim card is 'locked' even if I correctly typed in the PIN at start up:
to be precise, I can go online and use the network provided by my mobile company but I cannot make phone calls nor access to the sim network menus (to enable/disable data roaming, to select operator etc.), the menu is grey and says 'sim card locked', any help?

Bada3.0

Oct 29, 2014
where to find the specified "json" file

Hey everyone!

I've been on a vacation for the last week and now I'm back and will be updating the build in the next couple of days (currently testing)
I want to thank everybody for the feedback. As you probably noticed - there are plenty of bugs in this build, which have been fixed in the current one. I'll update the thread as usual when the update is ready.

There is a JSON file in the browser app config that has all the possible search engine options, you can add to it and set any of them as default.

Hello,

currently I try to change the search engine on my Geeksphone Revolution (FFOS 1.3 pre), but I ordered a ZTE Open C which should be delivered today :) :eek:

Where can I find the specified json file?

On my Revolution I searched in /system/b2g/webapps/browser.gaiamobile.org/application.zip . I searched for a file called "browser.js" and also found one, but it's not the same as it is described here:

firefoxosguide.com --> how-to-change-the-default-search-engine-of-your-firefox-os-smartphone

As the article is rather old (June 2013) I believe that the described path ( gaia/apps/browser/js/browser.js ) is not the actual one and has changed.

My plans are to bring ZTE Open C also to your fantastic rom :) But where to find those settings in FFOS 1.3? Please can you tell me the file you edited?

Thanks for your effort, I can't wait to "upgrade" to FFOS 2.1 / FFOS 2.2

Piecer

Sep 18, 2012
You said your build is now based on 2.2 - Does this mean it gets OTA nightly updates? :D And is it using the KitKat base now (As I heard Mozilla have depreciated the JB base?)

YemSalat

Aug 9, 2014
Sorry everybody about the terrible delay and not living up to the promise to update this build often.

To be honest I just got very busy with my job and couldn't keep up with the updates from mozilla (a lot of merging work to do cause I was making changes to a lot of parts)

The update is coming, now that I have a bit more spare time. One big feature to note is browser extensions (basically ability to run js snippets in the ffos browser )
I will reply to all the questions later, one thing I'll say that not being able to switch the screen on is a hardware issue as it was mentioned above..

Bada3.0

Oct 29, 2014
Good morning everybody :)

First of all I want to thank you Yemsalat for this great piece of mod :) it runs very smooth and I had no unplanned reboot yet. I'm using it since since 3 days.

Nevertheless, I found some bugs and have suggestions for future versions:
- could you please add German Language pack? :)
- bug: external sdcard gets lost and reappears after a reboot (my sdcard worked fine in my GP Revolution, 32gb)
- volume regulation in youtube app does not work. Volume is very very low and when I try to yurn it up it shows me the volume bar of telephone calls (5 stripes available) which is already at maximum volume
- youtube app offers full screen mode but there's no way back... Only homescreen button reacts on touch, display remains in full screen mode
- some apps don't work like the "UTube" app or don't work properly (no push for new messages in Jongla messenger and not able to view pictures or adding smileys there)
- recorder apps can not use the microphone and also don't ask for it
- graphical glitches: when i activate / deactivate Bluetooth wlan or other things from the drop down menu, they sometimes don't change their status. After a reboot I can see if I was succesful by deactivating wlan and activating mobile internet, just for an example
- cannot add my CalDav calendars from my baikal server - was no problem under GP's Revolution ffos 1.3, so settings are correct

Did you also made that experiences? Can it be fixed by a reflash?

Last edited:

a_tumiwa

Jul 16, 2014
Sorry everybody about the terrible delay and not living up to the promise to update this build often.

To be honest I just got very busy with my job and couldn't keep up with the updates from mozilla (a lot of merging work to do cause I was making changes to a lot of parts)

The update is coming, now that I have a bit more spare time. One big feature to note is browser extensions (basically ability to run js snippets in the ffos browser )
I will reply to all the questions later, one thing I'll say that not being able to switch the screen on is a hardware issue as it was mentioned above..

dont worry, slow is better than zero , thanks :good:

zupx

Oct 21, 2010
add language

hello.
if you can add Slovenian language would be very happy :laugh:

anovac

Nov 18, 2014
Is this project still alive?

Can we expect any updates, bug fixes for this mod, please? I don't have the phone yet (it's in the mail:) but I got gaia-modui from git, compiled it and tried it in the simulator (both 2.1 and 2.2), no luck. The description of the features sounds really interesting, I just wanted to experience them beforehand.

wielkant

Nov 2, 2014
Hey there, are you still working on this, Yem?

I'd really like to know how the 'long screen'-problem can be solved!
After some research I found a way to update without compiling by myself:
(Posting links is forbidden, you will find the instructions by searching for
'Paul Rouget' and 'upgrade ZTE Open C')
Finally I flashed an newer image than the recommended, which worked not stable.
Now it works, but there are still all apps one page and some of Yems nice improvements are not implemented.

So what can we do now?! Do you need help, Yem? Can we do anything to support you?

I'm really looking forward to a new MODUI-build!

W.

Reactions: Piecer

Piecer

Sep 18, 2012
Just giving a :good: to those who, like me, are hoping for a new build of ModUI - There are no other channels for upgrading the Open C it seems, compiling from -git always fails for me and there doesn't seem to be any new ROM's to flash that are any newer than this one :p

lionrouge

Sep 20, 2014
Tried this build. Looks nice but it runs heavier than FFOS 1.3 and even than Android. And crashes (i just try to unlock my phone after some time and it appears to be turned off).

wielkant

Nov 2, 2014
Builds by French Community

I was searching for quite a while...finally I found a community which is building up-to-date versions
of Firefox OS for ZTE OPEN C (without KitKat and FLAME-builds and so on)!
I'm still not able to post links...so I try to write it down using space...and forget the http
builds . firefoxos . mozfr . org
The update (aurora) seems to work properly, *normal* language support is given, I'm happy :)

...but still there is a vertical, long homescreen, I'd like to have an horizontal screen does anyone know how to change that?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Piecer

sznattila

Oct 12, 2012
not working for me

I have flashed flame 2.0 image before and tried to update for that.
I tried with several images and signature check fails.
any ideas how to proceed on ubuntu?

I was searching for quite a while...finally I found a community which is building up-to-date versions
of Firefox OS for ZTE OPEN C (without KitKat and FLAME-builds and so on)!
I'm still not able to post links...so I try to write it down using space...and forget the http
builds . firefoxos . mozfr . org
The update (aurora) seems to work properly, *normal* language support is given, I'm happy :)

...but still there is a vertical, long homescreen, I'd like to have an horizontal screen does anyone know how to change that?

Thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    6igg2vs.png
    h8ha0ps.png
    ZsHE43r.png

Hey everyone!

I've been fiddling with gaia recently (big thanks goes to vampirefo for the clockwork recovery image and his 2.1 build!)

I decided to fix a few annoyances that I had with the mozilla build, cause the Open C is currently my main phone and I use it every day.
    So I forked gaia and over the last few days have implemented the following things:

Visuals
    - Made stock icons more consistent, changed the layout a bit.
    - Removed background from the search bar on the top of the screen (I think it is ugly).
    - Applied the font fix to get Fira Sans back (more info: MDN link)

Browser
    - Made the address bar appear when you start scrolling to the top - no more scrolling to the very top of the page to access it!
    - Added "Duck Duck Go" to the search engines (you can change them in browser settings)
    - Added Google suggestions to the browser address bar 'as-you-type'

[UPDATE 07/09/2014]

ciL7Rc4.png
    SdLVDiw.png

I updated the build, technically its not 2.1 anymore, mozilla moved to 2.2

Here is a list of the changes I made to this build:
    - Added a button to lock orientation to the swipe screen
    - Changed layout of the swipe screen a bit
    - Long tap on shift for capslock
    - Added a button to close all applications in the task manager
    - Other small updates to styling

(Also added French keyboard)

Udate: Mozilla added copy - paste for text fields! also available in this build (probably not stable yet)

Keyboards in this build
    English, Spanish, German, French, Russian (cyrillic)

Download
    ZTE-Open-C-21(22)-modUI.zip on Google Drive [Fixed the link, sorry about that]

GitHub
    I also decided to ublish my branch on github: https://github.com/YemSalat/gaia-modui feel free to fork and contribute or port to other phones.
    I am currently learning Gaia architecture as I'm making changes, so some of them are a bit 'hacky', but I try to follow the conventions and prefix my stuff (css/functions/etc.) with 'modui'

Installation instructions
    Make sure to backup your data!
    Download zip and extract it to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/
    Use .50 recovery to install by choosing restore
    In recovery mode navigate to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/ffos_21_modUI
    (backup and restore > restore from /external_sd > ffos_21_modUI > yes restore)
    Then let .50 recovery restore 2.1, reboot and enjoy

For more info on .50 recovery and zte open c go here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54552198&postcount=21

Let me know what you think!

[UDATED] ZTE Open C firefox os 2.1 - 2.2 modui

Hey everyone!

I finally updated the build, sorry it took so long, have been having hard times building it but everything should be fine now.

ZsHE43r.png
    ciL7Rc4.png
    SdLVDiw.png

Technically its not 2.1 anymore, mozilla moved to 2.2 (there are many updates and fixes since last build)

Here is a list of the changes I made:

• Added a button to lock orientation to the swipe screen
    • Changed layout of the swipe screen a bit
    • Long tap on shift for capslock
    • Added a button to close all applications in the task manager
    • Other small updates to styling

(Also added French keyboard)

Keyboards in this build
    English, Spanish, German, French, Russian (cyrillic)

Download
    ZTE-Open-C-21(22)-modUI.zip on Google Drive [Updated link, sorry about that]

Installation instructions in first post.
    PS I'll release this build for ZTE Open (1st gen) later today.

Let me know what you think!
    No file on google drive.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Free mobile app

Sorry guys, uloaded the files a few hours ago but forgot to update the links, my bad.
    Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0qKT-gspsmnX2doWnNPLUY1eEE/edit?usp=sharing (also updated in previous posts)

I also decided to publish my version of gaia on github, see the link in the first post.

who we can install firfox os on android
    Depends which Android, Nexus seems to be the best to port for so far.

By the way, mozilla finally added copy - paste support!

SdLVDiw.png
    Blocking adds

Hi there,

I updated the original firmware 1.3 to 2.2 without windows.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot devices
    fastboot boot /YOUR_PATH/cw_recovery_50.img

and then I unzipped your modUI and put it on the external sdcard.
    There was no need to unlock my phone with any windows tool.

Everything works fine camera, video, audio, microphone etc.

It is sad that the browser doesn't support addons like adblock - Hello mozilla:(.

So I changed with:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push PATH_TO_NEW_HOSTS  /etc/hosts
    the host file with

>>>someonewhocares.org/hosts/ (not allowed to post urls)

for blocking adds.

It doesn't feel slower but I have less adds.
    @YemSalat
    Thanks for providing your build and make it public on github.