Apps to SD card app

Search This thread
Jun 15, 2007
Hey all,
I know I just put up my tutorial on how to do this but hopefully this will make things easier for everyone. I'd still suggest doing a nandroid backup first just to make sure but I tested this on my phone so it should work. Just run the app and if this is the first time moving your apps to your sd card(and you want to keep the ones you have) leave the checkbox checked. Otherwise uncheck it. Then just press the buttons that correspond to what you want to do. Enjoy :)

In order to use this you MUST:
1: Have an apps-to-sd ROM
2: Have your sd card partitioned correctly with FAT32 first and ext2 second.
3: Have busybox already installed to /system/xbin

NOTE: I'll try to help as much as I can but I can't take responsibility for anything this does to your phone. I'm pretty sure nothing bad will happen and nothing irreparable can happen but gotta say these things just to be sure anytime I'm messing with root permissions.

ANOTHER NOTE: I'll put this up in the market for $1. It'll remain free here but people can donate to me that way.

YET ANOTHER NOTE: I've managed to get a new method working that's a lot more stable and flexible. I will keep this thread here but won't be maintaining it.

EDIT: Moving data is too unstable, I've removed the option. It doesn't force close anymore when you don't have the setup right, it just gives an error and wont let you do anything, so that's better.

Attachments

• AppsToSD_signed.zip
    17 KB · Views: 9,456
Last edited:

derekedw

Feb 6, 2008
Tried it this morning and worked great. You might add a pop up at the end of moving apps to restart the device. When less experienced people use it, they won't know to do that I'm afraid.

Nismo300zx

Jun 26, 2008
Florida
the app sends me into abootloop at the htc screen

ps
i tried from fresh wipe and sd

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2007
the app sends me into abootloop at the htc screen

ps
i tried from fresh wipe and sd

OH SHOOT!!! I fixed this problem on the market one but forgot to put it back up on here. Umm... for now no1 should use the one posted here, until I can get home and post the updated one. OR if you still want to fix this and don't much just a bit of fiddling in the recovery terminal, after moving apps to sd, restart in recovery mode and do this:

Code:
mount data
ln -s /system/sd/app /data/app

For anyone who cares about such things, the problem is that it deletes the /data/app folder and then makes a symlink, which sounds ok, except that every super user command has to be run through the whitelist app... which no longer exists. So it's not able to set up the link and all hell breaks loose.

AbsoluteDesignz

Sep 16, 2007
New Jersey
if i already had apps2sd, tried to upgrade my phone from 5.0 to 5.01G, so I wiped...then data.img wouldn't flash over...if i do this, will my apps show up again?

Jun 15, 2007
if i already had apps2sd, tried to upgrade my phone from 5.0 to 5.01G, so I wiped...then data.img wouldn't flash over...if i do this, will my apps show up again?

Yes, just uncheck the checkbox. But you might want to read the note that I just posted, there's a known problem with it that has a fix but requires going into the recovery terminal. I'll post the updated version of this app that doesn't have that bug tonight.

Dantehman

Mar 30, 2009
Sheffield
i been at this for 2days ive tried evrythin ..hmm time to give up soon

Not really,,

According to the like 6th post or something its states this app wont work if you download it from here, but if you were to get it through the market....
Bob should now be your uncle :p

if you give him some time as clearly posted again, he will fix the app from the first post and replace it later on :cool:

Nismo300zx

Jun 26, 2008
Florida
Not really,,

According to the like 6th post or something its states this app wont work if you download it from here, but if you were to get it through the market....
Bob should now be your uncle :p

if you give him some time as clearly posted again, he will fix the app from the first post and replace it later on :cool:

ok if i typed the commands in manually and it wnt work ..and the app wnt work ..im tired of wipin the fone and formattin the sd card...=[ i give up

Jun 15, 2007
ok if i typed the commands in manually and it wnt work ..and the app wnt work ..im tired of wipin the fone and formattin the sd card...=[ i give up

you had the "stale NFS handle" right? I'm not really sure what's going on but something in your phone's file system sounds like it went screwy. Maybe someone like JF or LucidREM could help? Your problem goes way over my head and I'm guessing the same is true of a lot of people on here unfortunately.

Nismo300zx

Jun 26, 2008
Florida
its cool imma jus stay with apps n caches to sd...n kep dalvik on the fone..i got passed the nfs error and get stuck at tmo g1 screen maybe ill try again l8ter

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
jf rom

Ok question I know it says apps to sd rom is needed does this mean only haykuro roms? I have a jfrc33 1.42 and I could do apps to sd using this rom (planning on doing it tonight my 8gig class 6 card arrived) so my question is can I just use this app or do I need to do all the steps manually

Jun 15, 2007
Ok question I know it says apps to sd rom is needed does this mean only haykuro roms? I have a jfrc33 1.42 and I could do apps to sd using this rom (planning on doing it tonight my 8gig class 6 card arrived) so my question is can I just use this app or do I need to do all the steps manually

It should work on any apps to sd ROM. This includes LucidREM's modified JF ROMs. If you're gonna be manually changing it into an apps to sd, then I would think it would work but can't promise it. I wasn't able to figure that out when I tried so I'm not 100% sure that they work the same but I would imagine they would. Again, though, the one posted here has that known bug which will be fixed after I get home from work.

Short answer(s):
Haykuro's ROM: definitely works
LucidREM ROM: Don't have it to test it but almost assuredly works
Self-modified: probably works?

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
Sounds good I wasn't doing it till later tonight anyways (stuck at work also) also is it still a good idea to keep ext2 parititon less then 2gb like lucid reported on his tutorial