Emulators thread. Emulators that are working for the Fire TV

Search This thread

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Retroarch is free and great for NES,SNES,and Genesis/32x/Sega CD and other systems like PS1 on Fire TV if you can get it to co-operate like I do.
GenPlusDroid has easier access to rewind than Retroarch and is also free.

There is an unofficial updated version of Mupen64Plus AE with many internal improvements over the normal build.
You may have to sign up to get it from an attachment in some random topic or from inside the shoutbox.

You'll need Retroarch for the Sonic hacks (like the recent contest ones) since some only work properly on the Picodrive core.

Thomas was everywhere...

bobbym36

Aug 29, 2014
Retroarch is free and great for NES,SNES,and Genesis/32x/Sega CD and other systems like PS1 on Fire TV if you can get it to co-operate like I do.
GenPlusDroid has easier access to rewind than Retroarch and is also free.

There is an unofficial updated version of Mupen64Plus AE with many internal improvements over the normal build.
You may have to sign up to get it from an attachment in some random topic or from inside the shoutbox.

You'll need Retroarch for the Sonic hacks (like the recent contest ones) since some only work properly on the Picodrive core.

Thomas was everywhere...

Im having trouble mapping the buttons on my wired xbox 360 controller. It works awsome in xbmc. It navigates the menus in retroarch well but i dont understand how to map the buttons for specific cores. Nes.emu works great. All the other emulators ive used the key mapping was very simple.

deewad

Sep 20, 2013
.I also having trouble to get the xbox 360 wireless work correctly in epsxe. Can someone pls explain how i map the Controller correctly? It seems to me that the triggers (L1,L2,R1,R2) don't work. I also tried to map the joystick button as Start and Select without sucess.

edit: solved. resetet all and tried again. now everything is working fine, so far.

Last edited:

rog1121

Sep 5, 2011
USA
nissowebs.com
The main issue with emulators on the Fire TV is the linear filtering most of them use. It just blurs the image when stretched to 1080p.

So far the only one I've used which can disable Linear filtering is MyBoy and MyOldboy for Gameboy games.

dismissthesky

Sep 19, 2014
The main issue with emulators on the Fire TV is the linear filtering most of them use. It just blurs the image when stretched to 1080p.

So far the only one I've used which can disable Linear filtering is MyBoy and MyOldboy for Gameboy games.

I'm pretty sure all of the .emu/explusalpha emulators have the option to disable linear filtering.

nyder

Sep 15, 2007
Seattle

I turn on scanlines if possible, IMO, it makes all the old console games look the best, sort of like you were actually playing it on the TV. Linear doesn't bother me and it doesn't actually look that bad as long as your are not stretching images, but scaling images.

Y.G.

Jul 14, 2012
This is the best variation of RetroArch Available. Its a custom build that has more cores and more functions than the Google play store version.
My only issue is that my controller configuration with my DS4 controller will not save or stick for any reason. Maybe you guys can figure it out.

http://page3.yunfile.com/fs/1Craim2so3nR7ai0nde4/

Also Drastic (Nintendo DS EMU) Works FANTASTIC!

Also shoutout to the guy that talked about OpenBOR. Im freaking loving that game app! I've even been playing 2 players with Tincore Keymapper.

Here's the newest compiled file for OpenBOR (V.4074) with PS3 Button mapping to select items from the main menu below

Are you using the Fire Gamepad? I am and DraStic doesn't recognize the A button so I can't get past the first menu.

gt5oh

Apr 18, 2009
I know this thread is a bit old. I just swapped over from a first gen Fire Stick to the Fire TV 2.

Now with added processing power and speed I am interested in getting Emulators & Roms set up on the device. A lot of the guides I see are for older devices or are just out dated.

I am currently running Firestarter & Kodi on my Fire TV. I have pushed the Kodi apk file via using adbfire 2.0.

Is the process the same for getting the Emulators on the Fire TV?

gt5oh

Apr 18, 2009
So.. I installed ES File Explorer on my Fire TV and connected the Fire TV to my Dropbox account and now I can load files from there.

I am curious with the new Fire TV and Micro SD card support, how can I use that for all my Roms so I do not take up space on the actual Fire TV storage?

xm41907

Dec 7, 2010
I've recently set up a bunch of emulators and every one of them is having sound issues on my fire tv. They all have intermittent sound. Some worse than others. At first, I thought it was a fire tv issue, but some investigation and it is only with emulators. Weird that they all would have a similar sound problem. Anyone else have sound issues too? Using 2600.emu md. Emu new. Emu snes9x ex+ drastic and mupen64 plus.

gazdaman.

Jan 22, 2012
Also shoutout to the guy that talked about OpenBOR. Im freaking loving that game app! I've even been playing 2 players with Tincore Keymapper.

I don't suppose you could share your Tincore Keymapper configuration files for use on the FireTV?
I've looked at this app to set up 2 player on Mame4droid but it just seems so confusing to do.

If you can find the time to upload that would be awesome.

jbl0ggs

Dec 5, 2011
I want to be able to play games like Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Defender, Scramble, Pooyan, Centipede, Q*Bert, Commando, Galaga, Glaxians, etc. Would Mame emulator be the best for these types of games?

How well does Mame4Droid work on the Fire TV/Stick? which version is best? Will it work with the Moga Pro Controller?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
So.. I installed ES File Explorer on my Fire TV and connected the Fire TV to my Dropbox account and now I can load files from there.

I am curious with the new Fire TV and Micro SD card support, how can I use that for all my Roms so I do not take up space on the actual Fire TV storage?

I run all my roms off Micro SD on my new Fire TV. They've made it very easy and painless.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Here are the emulators I have tested on my unrooted 2nd-Gen Fire TV and Amazon Fire Game Controller.

Working Perfectly:
MAME4droid
Snes9x EX+
PPSSPP
Nostalgia.NES
MD.emu
reicast
PCE.emu
My Boy!

Runs, But with Issues:
ePSXe: I'm using v1.9.39 and selecting Preferences crashes the app, so there's no way for me to remap the Amazon controller to have a Start button. EDIT: Updated to v1.9.4. Preferences no longer crashes.

drastic DS: Runs, but can't get past menu screen because I couldn't select with controller or remote.

Last edited:

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
I've put Mame 4 Droid on my rooted Fire TV 2, rom path Is fine & shows games & that they are working but it won't load or scrape for covers it just comes up settings when I press the button, I think that possibly I didn't put the correct path For the emulator? & also I have tried a xbox 360 wired controller plugged straight in the usb port at the back but not getting any joy or sign of it working? Works straight on mame on my pc no problem? What's the beat controllers for aftv2 to use with mame or emulators.

Dec 10, 2015
I've put Mame 4 Droid on my rooted Fire TV 2, rom path Is fine & shows games & that they are working but it won't load or scrape for covers it just comes up settings when I press the button, I think that possibly I didn't put the correct path For the emulator? & also I have tried a xbox 360 wired controller plugged straight in the usb port at the back but not getting any joy or sign of it working? Works straight on mame on my pc no problem? What's the beat controllers for aftv2 to use with mame or emulators.

What version of Mame4Droid are you using that scrapes covers? I'm using Reloaded 1.1 and doesn't seem to be an option. As for controllers, I'm using the Amazon Fire Game Controller. It's great for everything except 2D fighting games. The DPad is stiff and sticks.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
What version of Mame4Droid are you using that scrapes covers? I'm using Reloaded 1.1 and doesn't seem to be an option. As for controllers, I'm using the Amazon Fire Game Controller. It's great for everything except 2D fighting games. The DPad is stiff and sticks.
I'm looking for a controller was thinking an Amazon one but need something with a good D-pad for Street fighter & the other fighting games. I'm using 0.139u1 but looking for the best looking & great mame version I can use with Kodi/AFTV2.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

finndo

Sep 1, 2009

Xbox 360 wired controller working fine on my AFTV2 - rooted, I plugged it in via the amazon basics 7 port USB3 hub, not sure if I tried it without... everything works in Naught2 except the top bumpers (works as in the I can play the game, plus the AFTV2 white light blinks when I push any of the buttons) the only issue is that there is no "menu button" and it messes up my mouse (mouse cursor disappears).

Try plugging yours in again and pressing each button to see if the white light blinks, that will tell you if the AFTV2 is reading it, but the emulator is not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My biggest reason for buying this was using it for emulation and I've tried countless different emulators for NES, SNES and Sega and the three I've found these three to work the best. The menus, the layout, gamepad detection and compatibility (xbox360) all work the best with it.

I did pay for all of these because they work flawlessly, Robert offers free versions as well so you can try them out.

NES: NES.emu
    Super Nintendo: Snes9x EX+
    Sega: MD.emu

PSX:
    FPse
    For the 360 pad, the triggers don't work and the back/start buttons are tied to the emulator menu and can't change them. Developer is currently working on the triggers as of last weekend when I emailed him about them being buggy.[update 7-27-2014] Still no update or email from developer. Issue still present.

ePSXe
    1.9.20 was sent to me by the developer to test the triggers for the X360 gamepad and have confirmed they work. Start button is tied to emulator menu. Not that big an issue since you can just set start button to an analog click. Everything seems to be in working order.
    Any suggestions for Nintendo 64? I'd love one more crack at Goldeneye. :good:
    The original Mupen64Plus AE or CoolN64 should be what you're looking for.

Too bad the original seldom updates nowadays.
    We are waiting on either the developer Paul,or anyone else that is capable of compiling a build with the much needed fixes like Banjo-Tooie and plugin updates.

Maybe someone can ask the CoolN64 developer to add the patches that fix Banjo-Tooie and the DelaySI function as well.
    Or anyone here that is source code mod savvy could make a modded version with fixes and other changes.

Why has DK64 never been fixed for Mupen64Plus AE when Wii64 (mupen64/plus port) could actually run it with collisions and level loaders intact?
    I run all my roms off Micro SD on my new Fire TV. They've made it very easy and painless.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Here are the emulators I have tested on my unrooted 2nd-Gen Fire TV and Amazon Fire Game Controller.

Working Perfectly:
    MAME4droid
    Snes9x EX+
    PPSSPP
    Nostalgia.NES
    MD.emu
    reicast
    PCE.emu
    My Boy!

Runs, But with Issues:
    ePSXe: I'm using v1.9.39 and selecting Preferences crashes the app, so there's no way for me to remap the Amazon controller to have a Start button.

drastic DS: Runs, but can't get past menu screen because I couldn't select with controller or remote.
    epsxe 1.9.40 seems to be working perfectly, no preference screen crashes! Also I'm loving NES.emu - not sure if it's better than nostalgia.nes but I've had no issues with it so far.