Accessing files from workstation via Web

Search This thread

keeseckb

Sep 8, 2010
Is there any apps out there for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that work like Motocast or Zumocast? I've got the remote desktop app Splashtop setup, but was wondering if there is a simpler app that allowed you to access files on my work computer via the web?

nightmarebadger

Jan 31, 2010
Ljubljana
www.natan.termitnjak.net
Is there any apps out there for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that work like Motocast or Zumocast? I've got the remote desktop app Splashtop setup, but was wondering if there is a simpler app that allowed you to access files on my work computer via the web?

So, you just want to access files from your work computer on your tab? If that's all, most file managers are able to access shared files over LAN/WAN (I use it all the time for music/pictures/stuff computer).

keeseckb

Sep 8, 2010
Teamviewer is just another remote desktop app. Ubuntu one is just a cloud service. And I need to access my files anywhere, not just when i'm on a LAN/wan. The problem with a cloud service is th I have thousands pdf's, spreadsheets, and photos on my workstation and uploading them all a cloud and them having to keep updating that cloud daily is not feasible.

Motocast works flawless in that anywhere you have web access you can access a PC that is on and running the client in the background. Just wondering if there is an app like that that works for the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1...

MapleSyrup

Oct 9, 2011
You could set a FTP server (I recommend SFTP for security) on your workstation and use an app like AndFTP.

Last edited:

nightmarebadger

Jan 31, 2010
Ljubljana
www.natan.termitnjak.net
Teamviewer is just another remote desktop app. Ubuntu one is just a cloud service. And I need to access my files anywhere, not just when i'm on a LAN/wan. The problem with a cloud service is th I have thousands pdf's, spreadsheets, and photos on my workstation and uploading them all a cloud and them having to keep updating that cloud daily is not feasible.

Motocast works flawless in that anywhere you have web access you can access a PC that is on and running the client in the background. Just wondering if there is an app like that that works for the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1...

Just thought I'd mention, WAN is wide area network (aka internet), not WLAN (wireless LAN).
So using shares (or FTP/SFTP) you can easily access all your files, you can even mount them so that tab sees them as "local" (useful for quite some apps that don't support network shares).

sudhirkhanger

Jun 29, 2010

You 'just' create a folder and 'just' drop your files there. How hard is that? Dropbox is not something physical that you have to do anything to it daily. Their is no hard labor involved. You definitely need paid service for thousands and thousands of your files. Just like that.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

DigiPooch

Mar 12, 2012
alternative

Another option that helped me was pocketcloud explore. Because you have the pocketCloud remote desktop but this is a separate app that will let you just access, view, and download all your files. It's 1 of the closest things motocast I could find.