[XAP + SDK] WP7 Root Tools 0.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

MavBoss86

Jan 31, 2009
Yeah!

You are the man, boy!
It works very well on Lg Optimus 7 (vodafone it).
Now I can backup my sms with SMSBackup!

Thanks man!

IzaacJ

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 2, 2008
Eskilstuna
izaacj.github.io
IzaacJ, \T is an escape sequence, tabulation :) Add @ to your strings, i.e. @"Drivers\Touch"
If you going to write anything in registry, enable "root access" for your app by using WP7 Root Tools first.

VB.NET ;) But needed double backslash anyway. It works flawlessly :)

I have not really looked into this problem, but my guess is that you did not include the native dll or the xml as content to your project. Read the readme and follow those instructions. If it still doesn't work after that, let me know.

Heathcliff74

Well, got it working :) Easier than I thought :p Edited my old post and added how I did :) Here it is again ;)

Code:
Dim keyHive as WP7RootToolsSDA.RegistryHyve
Dim keyVal as string
keyHive = WP7RootToolsSDK.RegistryHyve.LocalMachine
keyVal = WP7RootToolsSDK.Registry.GetStringValue(keyHive, "Drivers\\Touch", "PDD")

Now a question about the WP7RootToolsSDK.ApplicationInformation class, is it supposed to return information about the app itself or an application fetched from the ApplicationList?

Other than that, the SDK is totally AWESOME :D Been longing for anything like this for a long time.

Regards!

PS! Working on a little project for all our chefs ;) And I think it could be REALLY useful :)

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
I believe Heathcliff74 should open another thread for SDK-related discussions only. Current one better to use for bug reports and customers testimonials.

Reactions: Heathcliff74

Silas0220

Mar 4, 2011
I'm just trying to wrap my head around what this does and does not do (forgive me if this is something I should already get by now - I'd rather not be one of those people posting yet another "I tried it with this app but it doesn't work" reply, while all the people who know what's going on smack their heads in frustration).

The registry editor and file explorer make perfect sense to me. They're also the two parts of the app I don't trust myself to touch. I'd been hoping this app would allow me to get around the whole issue with second gen devices not allowing apps to access the registry (ie, I'm trying to change the accent colors on my Focus Flash and was hoping to add notification sounds).

To this end, I was hoping to give Advanced Config. trusted app status and magically have the ability to do this. I'm realizing I was naive. Is there something I can do using this Root Tools app to successfully and relatively simply change these things on my device? Alternatively, is there an easy way for me to know what homebrew apps will work with this trusted app status and which will still be stymied by the second gen limitations?

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
I'm just trying to wrap my head around what this does and does not do (forgive me if this is something I should already get by now - I'd rather not be one of those people posting yet another "I tried it with this app but it doesn't work" reply, while all the people who know what's going on smack their heads in frustration).

The registry editor and file explorer make perfect sense to me. They're also the two parts of the app I don't trust myself to touch. I'd been hoping this app would allow me to get around the whole issue with second gen devices not allowing apps to access the registry (ie, I'm trying to change the accent colors on my Focus Flash and was hoping to add notification sounds).

To this end, I was hoping to give Advanced Config. trusted app status and magically have the ability to do this. I'm realizing I was naive. Is there something I can do using this Root Tools app to successfully and relatively simply change these things on my device? Alternatively, is there an easy way for me to know what homebrew apps will work with this trusted app status and which will still be stymied by the second gen limitations?

First of all, YOUR second gen device does not have limitations now anymore!! With WP7 Root Tools you can potentially open up anything you want.

The only limitation is what the apps will do for you. You should be able to do most configuration tasks manually using the file-explorer and registry-editor of WP7 Root Tools. But that can be tricky. It would be better to have an app for that, which can do that for you. There are already some apps out there that can do such things, but currently most of them rely on their own hacks. And often, they are meant only for specific devices.

I hope that the developers of those apps will use my SDK to make new versions of their app, that can be used on any device that can be unlocked with WP7 Root Tools. Once a device is unlocked with WP7 Root Tools, there are no device-specific hacks necessary anymore. The SDK will work on any unlocked device.

So, in most cases, WP7 Root Tools cannot magically turn an existing app into something that can suddenly run on any device. But with help of the SDK, the developer of such app should be able to make a new version of that app, that will run on your device.

Just have a little patience and new homebrew apps will probably released soon. You will probably find that your device will be supported more and more by these apps.

Good luck,
Heathcliff74

Reactions: Briefcase

Silas0220

Mar 4, 2011
I look forward to my patience paying off! Thank you for the swift reply. We ought to have a place for people to see what new homebrew apps have been made using your sdk, so we can take the most advantage of your hard work.

Rcf686

Feb 23, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Great job Heathcliff. You are the man. Can't wait for you to find a weakness on the Lumias. Root tools now works flawlessly on my Focus S but come the 9th Im replacing it with a 900. A donation is on its way.

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
Just for the record: exactly 24 hours after the release of WP7 Root Tools 0.9, the download-counter is at 3.617!! NICE!! :D

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Any way around the Incompatable message Dreamcaster012 and myself are getting with a Verizon HTC Trophy ?

I would love to use this.

As always, thanks for everything here !

JulietteOnXDA

Jul 6, 2011
Berlin
I extremely appreciate your work for the app.

There's just one little thing, redesign the website, it's an eyesore right now. I'd love to freely help you out with that if you would like me to.

Reactions: jaygriggs

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
HeathCliff74, you are a revolutionary! I thank you for all of the hard work you've done with this and even for providing me insight when needed! :-D

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Works great, unlocked my Omnia W and messed around with the registry.

Just a quick question, is it possible to run unsafe code without hitting the verification exception? Mostly I'm interested in using it to avoid the excessive array bounds checks.

revxx14

Feb 6, 2011
Chicago
ghostlyco.de
Anyone else having an issue of it closing on itself? I got it to work a few times, but now it just closes before it finishes loading. Going to try reinstalling from my main machine tonight...

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
Anyone else having an issue of it closing on itself? I got it to work a few times, but now it just closes before it finishes loading. Going to try reinstalling from my main machine tonight...

Hmm. This is an unhandled exception. WP7 Root Tools remembers the last location. The last folder or registrykey you had opened causes this problem. I'd be interrested to know what the last location was that you had opened, if you remember.

Heathcliff74

Reactions: Briefcase
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download: www.wp7roottools.com

Today I am proud to announce the immediate availability of WP7 Root Tools 0.9 alpha and WP7 Root Tools SDK 0.1!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 brings true Root Access to devices with stock ROM's, but it also works on devices with custom ROM's and Full Unlock. Your device needs to be Interop Unlocked to use WP7 Root Tools!

This is still an alpha-release, because there are a lot of new hacks and the tools are still not feature complete! I have rewritten about 75% of all code from the previous release. So before you install WP7 Root Tools you should make a backup of your device. WP7 Root Tools will make changes to system settings and, although this has been tested, it is still possible that a problem occurs. In that case you want to have a recent backup of your device. Installing WP7 Root Tools will be your own responsibility. The author of WP7 Root Tools and the SDK cannot be held responsible for any damages caused directly or indirectly by installing and using WP7 Root Tools or the SDK!

Windows Phone is a closed system to protect the user and his/her personal data from malware and to protect the intellectual property of the developers. The downside of this closed system is that homebrew developers are very limited in their ability to control and tweak a Windows Phone device. With WP7 Root Tools I attempt to open up the system in a gentle way, so that users stay in control of their device, while homebrew apps can get more control to get the maximum power out of your Windows Phone device!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 now has a File Explorer, Registry Editor, Certificate Installer and a Policy Editor! Thanks to true Root Access on Windows Phone, this new version of WP7 Root Tools will work a lot faster than previous releases and it supports a lot more devices!

WP7 Root Tools should work on these devices:

- Samsung first and second generation devices
    - LG devices
    - HTC first generation devices with Mango v1 drivers (SPL 4.x or lower)
    - Samsung first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock
    - HTC first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock

On devices with stock ROM's WP7 Root Tools need to install Root Access. The first time it runs, a 2-phase-installation will start. The app will inform you to start the first install-phase. Then the device will reboot after a few seconds. After the reboot you need to start WP7 Root Tools again immediately! Then the second phase of the installation will start and your device will be rebooted again. After the second reboot you are ready to use WP7 Root Tools. You can use the Policy Editor to give other homebrew app a "trusted" status. With this you will give the app Root Access privileges. So be very careful to which app you give Root Access!! You are responsible for giving access to an app! If you are not sure, read the forums to decide if an app is trust-worthy.

I also created an SDK, which developers can use to profit from Root Access. It provides a way to gain access to the filesystem and the registry (and more) from their managed Silverlight application. No need to worry about COM interop and C++ anymore! The package contains a read-me with short instructions. More details and examples will follow soon! Over the last days Rafael Rivera from the Chevron WP7 team has tested the SDK and he is finishing up the first homebrew app that will use my SDK. He is planning to release his Backup-app soon.

I also need to thank some people for making this possible:

- My wife! (for having to put up with me while doing all this hacking!)

- YukiXDA (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Justin Angel (for sending me a NOKIA)
    - Cees Heim (for supplying an HTC device for testing)
    - Rafael Rivera and Chevron WP7 team (for pioneering WP7 Unlocking)
    - HD2Owner (for helping me make custom ROM's for testing)
    - fiinix (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Ultrashot
    - xb0xm0d
    - AndrewSh
    - Ondraster
    - Barin
    - Football
    - Cmonex
    - GoodDayToDie
    - Jaxbot
    - Dennis Wilson

I will update the guides and manuals on www.wp7roottools.com and here on XDA in the next coming days. I need some time to update all of it.

Have fun with Homebrew now!

Heathcliff74
    I will release WP7 Root Tools 0.10 this weekend. It will have new features, but the new unlock is not yet ready. So it won't be in this version. I will release this version, because the current version will expire this weekend. I will release another version with the new unlock soon after this. The main feature of the new unlock is that you can run homebrew native executables.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Just a little progress report. I've not been very active in the forums in the last weeks. That's not because I didn't work on WP7 Root Tools. On contrary, I'm working really hard on this and I need to be focused on Research and Development, because the features I work on are extremely complex. But most research is done and I'm making real good progress on the development.

I'm mainly working on letting custom executables run with root access. And also some other nice features. I have not tested these hacks for drivers, like the DFT BT drivers. I will see if I can get that working too.

After this I will try to make this work on more devices.

When WP8 comes all hacking probably needs to be done from scratch. Hacking bootloaders will be more difficult due to SecureBoot. My hacks will probably not be affected by SecureBoot, but my guess is that the policy engine is rewritten for a significant part, because the new filesystem is based on NTFS. That probably means that the policies are not configured in the policy database, but in the filesystem itself.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Heathcliff74, a quick question to you: could you please provide us a little hint about Nokia hack status? Should we expect some tremendous news in near future? ;) Nokia Lumia 900 is coming so I'm extremely interested :eek:

Could take minutes, could take months. There is really no way of telling this. It's a matter of finding an exploit. I'm working on that.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74