[Guide] How To Flash Custom Roms On Your Droid X

Search This thread

sjmoreno

Dec 19, 2010
DFW, TX
Your current root applications still work.
But anything new you try to grant root access won't work.

Yup, you're right. I've verified the apps that had root access prior to my updating to .621 via the OTA upgrade still have root access and any new apps installed after the update that require root cannot access it.

Sorry for jumping the gun and thinking everything was okay when in actuality they were not.

I'm okay for now even without root for new apps since the ones I use are already installed on my phone. I can wait patiently for someone to release a rooted .621 SFB later or another root method for .621.

And in the end, I can always just get a newer phone since 2 of the 5 phones on my Verizon account have been up for renewal for several months now. I've just been waiting for them to offer a quad-core phone (with hopefully an unlocked bootloader). Here's to hoping...

Reactions: Jubakuba

dnynooberone

Mar 9, 2012
Re: Factory Reset

Near the end of the instructions is the line -

"- Do a factory reset from within this menu."

The only option is "wipe card/factory reset."

Since the wording is a bit different, and people might be afraid of an untold "wipe card" option, they might freak out.

Thanks for the guide!

franz_r20

Mar 7, 2012
looking for a rom motorola mb810

I am looking for a rom that disable the activation of the motorla call

xdeadman

Apr 4, 2012
Flagstaff
Ready to Install a ROM...

Hi. Im just about ready to install a rom. I just wanna check if I have all the right software. Here's my phone specs: Droid X 2.3.3, 4.5.605

I'm attempting to install using the method above: Liberty Gingerbread v0.9 - downloaded from Liberty Toolbox.

I have ROM Manager installed, flashed recovery, and can reboot into Clockworkmod. I have also made a backup of my current ROM through ROM Manager.

I have researched, and feel confident, on how to SBF back if something bad happens.

Please let me know if I have all the right stuff to make this happen.

deboyz1014

Jan 21, 2011
I have a spare droid x that I rooted and its on 2.3.3 .605 and everything is great. Yesterday, I did a backup of it, flashed to CM7 03302012 and everything works fine there. When I tried to do a CWM restore of my stock backup, it failed. Do I need to sbf back to .605 in order to do a restore of that backup?

kidd1872

Mar 17, 2012
Droid X

I have been trying to unlock a droid X and I got no resolution. Can some help me. I really appriecated

Wazzzz up

Sep 4, 2011
Tulsa
Okay, so I read you post and most of the comments. The comment before mine is asking the same question I am about to ask, but it has no responses so here I go.

I just purchased a DROID X from a guy on Craigslist, I got home bypassed the Activation, and all of that, it shows like it is still in service thou, there are a few apps that I know don't come with it stock. I am not new to flashing ROM's.

I checked my version and it ends in, .620.MB810.Verizon.en.US.
The phone is rooted, it has Superuser. it updates like it has signal from Verizon and displays the Verizon Wireless logo when I drop down the status bar. I have no intention on using the previous owners service, or going through their information or stuff, I am about to format the SD Card, but don't want to do it in case there is a file in there I need.

Anyways, I want to start from scratch and just format it or flash a new ROM, I have no interest in using it as a phone, just as an extra to play games on, etc. Can I install a custom ROM?

Also if I call Verizon will they deactivate it or something? I don't want to cause the person to have to pay for service or something.

Hacker101

Apr 4, 2011
Miami Beach
Okay, so I read you post and most of the comments. The comment before mine is asking the same question I am about to ask, but it has no responses so here I go.

I just purchased a DROID X from a guy on Craigslist, I got home bypassed the Activation, and all of that, it shows like it is still in service thou, there are a few apps that I know don't come with it stock. I am not new to flashing ROM's.

I checked my version and it ends in, .620.MB810.Verizon.en.US.
The phone is rooted, it has Superuser. it updates like it has signal from Verizon and displays the Verizon Wireless logo when I drop down the status bar. I have no intention on using the previous owners service, or going through their information or stuff, I am about to format the SD Card, but don't want to do it in case there is a file in there I need.

Anyways, I want to start from scratch and just format it or flash a new ROM, I have no interest in using it as a phone, just as an extra to play games on, etc. Can I install a custom ROM?

Also if I call Verizon will they deactivate it or something? I don't want to cause the person to have to pay for service or something.

well the guy you bought the phone from should have done that if he sold you a phone and its not turned off (service wise) I would contact him and let them no unless he is already in the process's of doing so if the phone still is on verizon service the one you bought from him he has to call verizon about it because its still on his verizon plane. Hope it helped

And yes you can Rom it as long as its rooted

MAKE NANDROID BACKUP

Titanium Backup ★ root https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DMsImNvbS5rZXJhbWlkYXMuVGl0YW5pdW1CYWNrdXAiXQ..

Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap (for Droid X) https://play.google.com/store/apps/...vbS5rb3VzaGlrZHV0dGEuZHJvaWQyLmJvb3RzdHJhcCJd

ROM Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImNvbS5rb3VzaGlrZHV0dGEucm9tbWFuYWdlciJd

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 25, 2009
I'm re-purposing my old Droid X to be a mini-tablet for my three year old, and for the life of me I cannot flash it to a new ROM. It's been a long time since I've done anything with it, so part of this is trying to recall what I did. As it stands right now here are the variables:

*If I power off and back on, it goes from the Motorola logo to ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.6
*From here I cannot flash any zips, when I go to try I only see the clockworkmod folder on the SD card and when I try to flash an update.zip it says E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
*If I reboot from there it loads up to the stock rom (.605) and from there if I open rom manager it says I have v5.0.2.0 flashed/installed. I can't install a zip from there either.

I've tried various combinations of trying to flash zips from either side, I remembered I had installed something called droid x bootstrap so I've tried flashing and rebooting with that as well, but no luck. My end goal is just to get to a good stable stock'ish ICS/JB ROM that can play many Google Play games. Thanks for your help.

goast

Aug 18, 2012
Hinesville, Ga
OK... I got a question gentleman, my friend has a droid x, when he got it a few years ago I put miui ICS 2.1.6, I was a noob, after some time I am much more familiar with rooting and ROMs, but I haven't played with his phones in a good minute... I have a cm9 ROM to flash and the gaapps...I got it to go into recovery, one with a super user logo which I've been told is bootstrap recovery... I'm supposed to flash this evening but I need to know if this recovery can be used to flash ROM... I tried using ROM manager to use cwm but I couldn't get it to boot into it...so my question is can I use this recovery I'm seeing to flash the ROM?

Anti-theist

Dec 16, 2012
Need Help installing custom ROMS

Your current root applications still work.
But anything new you try to grant root access won't work.

I am new to installing custom roms but I would to learn. I have motorola droid x system version 4.5.621 and android version 2.3.4. I almost bricked my phone twice but installed factory firmware with rsd lite (newest version). Therefore, I had to re-root my phone twice successfully. I have rom manager premium and bootstrap recovery for droid 2 which also works. Can anyone tell me or point me step by step instructions for installing roms?

i know how to get into bootloader and recovery.

I would like cyanagenmod but I will take anything at this point just to actually put a custom rom on it. There are two things that I dont think I am doing right. How do I use rom manager to install different mods? If I download a .zip file for a rom online, where do i put it on the sd card?

Thanks.

gleggie

Jan 13, 2013
Sry, I'm very new to the Droid X. I used Framaroot one click root app, and verified that I have root on my droid X. I'm on system version 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android version 2.3.4
Build Number4.5.1_57_DX8-51

Can I just use bootstrap to boot into recovery and flash the latest CM nightly found here? http://get.cm/?device=shadow
Is it really that simple?

Or is there more I need to do?
Sry i'm just really unfamiliar with all the version numbers, as I'm accustomed to ICS and JB

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Sry, I'm very new to the Droid X. I used Framaroot one click root app, and verified that I have root on my droid X. I'm on system version 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android version 2.3.4
Build Number4.5.1_57_DX8-51

Can I just use bootstrap to boot into recovery and flash the latest CM nightly found here? http://get.cm/?device=shadow
Is it really that simple?

Or is there more I need to do?
Sry i'm just really unfamiliar with all the version numbers, as I'm accustomed to ICS and JB

no it's not that simple
official cm builds are still using old kernel, and once on 2.3.4/ 4.5.621, you can not downgrade
so just use roms in my list for 621

Reactions: gleggie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    kite edit: stuck! :)

IMPORTANT UPDATE

*[Warning!]*
    The .621 system update that Verizon is currently pushing to the Droid X has potential to render your device without root access.
    Worse yet, it breaks the ability to use ANY SBF file currently available...and any attempt to do so will brick your phone.
    Developers are currently working on un-bricking the users who have already taken the .621 update and attempted an SBF.
    This may or may not prove to be successful.

If your System Version is ends in .621 you cannot use this guide!

[Root Access]
    There is currently no root method available for the 621 update.
    However, users have reported that OTA RootKeeper from the Android Market will maintain root access if you run it before accepting the update.
    Keep in mind: If you go this route...you can't go back.
    NEW SBF
    http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1517985 This SBF should work. Still no root method or ability to use prior SBFs.
    Developers are unlikely to port their roms to the new base. And you'll never be able to return to .340/.596/.602/.605 or anywhere else for that matter. Thus: if you take this update, you won't be able to run a custom rom ever again. (Unless ports are made [unlikely]).
    Root Method Achieved for .621

Estimated Time To Complete

1-2 Hours

What You'll Need

-Root Access
    -Know your System Version (Settings>About Phone)
    -Titanium Backup (A pro Key isn't needed but I recommend one)
    -Bookmark Backup
    -Droid 2 Bootstrap
    -3Gigs free space on your SD card (estimate).
    -A Rom of your Choice:

--Liberty is a great rom. Especially for someone who is new to this whole process, as you can put whatever Blur you want back in!
    --MIUI is an excellent rom. It offers SUPERB customization, a beautiful interface, and awesome themes!
    --CyanogenMod is another excellent choice. It offers superb customization on top of an AOSP experience.
    --Any other Rom that is running on your System Version (Settings>About Phone).

Before We Flash

- Root your phone using the above link as a guide. (It's as simple as downloading a small program on your computer and plugging your phone in.)

- Install all of the applications Above. If you previously purchased Droid X Bootstrap, you may install This instead. It was compiled using the Droid 2 Bootstrap Source and will work perfectly.

- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery using Droid 2 Bootstrap. Press: "Bootstrap Recovery" (if a SuperUser permission request pops up, accept it) and then "Reboot Recovery."

- Navigate to the "Backup and Restore" option with your volume keys and select it with the camera button. Select Backup. Let the process run.

- Once the Backup is complete, Navigate to the Reboot option.

- Open "Contacts" on your phone. Press the "Options" hard-key and find the "Import/Export" option. Export your contacts to your SD card.

- Open "Titanium Backup" and press the "Options" hard-key. Then press "Batch." Run the "Backup all User Apps" tool and wait for the process to complete.

- Open "Backup Bookmarks" and backup your browser bookmarks.

Installing Your Rom

- Make Sure the Rom you want to install is using the same System Version as the one you're currently on. The Cyanogen "Official" Builds are actually still on froyo while the newest versions are on 4.5.605 or 4.5.602 (either work).

- Put the Rom's .zip on your SD card.

- Use Droid 2 Bootstrap to reboot into recovery again. (Bootstrap Recovery > Reboot Recovery)

- Do a factory reset from within this menu.

- Navigate to "Install zip from SDcard" and select your Rom. Say "yes" to the install and wait for the process to complete.

- Reboot. Congratulations! Your phone should now boot up into the new Rom!

Restoring Our Applications/Contacts/Etc.

- Open the Android Market and you'll be prompted to log in.

- Download Titanium Backup / Bookmark Backup once again.

- Open Titanium Backup and open the "Batch" area again. Run the "Restore User Apps" option.
    --It is always recommended to restore the "App Only" with this option. Any application data that you restore MAY cause Force Closes. However, it is up to you what you want to do here. Personally, I've often restored Application Data...and rarely does it cause a problem. When a problem DOES occur, fixing is as simple as Booting into CWM > Factory Reset > Reinstall Rom.

- Restore Your Bookmarks with the Bookmark Backup application.

- Open the "Contacts" application and import the contacts you saved earlier.
    --This is only Necessary if you don't allow Google to backup your contacts to their servers.

IMPORTANT NOTES!!!

- When you're using a 2nd-init Rom (Cyanogen / MIUI) DO NOT use Droid 2 Bootstrap to boot into CWM once the Rom has been installed. You must either boot into recovery using the Power Menu or via Rom Manager's Recovery option.

- If you don't like the Rom you tried...you can restore the Backup you made in CWM. This may not work if you tried a 2nd-init Rom and decided against it. You'll then have to SBF, Re-Root, And Restore.

- Anybody who flashes custom Roms frequently has probably messed up at some point...or simply wanted a fresh start. That is where a SBF comes in handy. SBFing your phone isn't as scary as you may think. Follow this guide and you'll be golden. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/331-guide-flashing-droid-x-sbf/

SPECIAL THANKS

Google, For making Android!
    SyNiK4L, For The SBF tutorial.
    razorloves, For the Root tutorial.
    Framework43, For the never-ending Droid X support.
    cvpcs, for the original 2nd-init exploit.
    DroidXChat, for ENDLESS 2nd-init bug fixing.
    The Developers...of the wonderful roms/hacks/scripts/apks/etc we all love and appreciate.
    And to EACH and EVERY helpful community member out there who helps wherever they can!

I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. Nor is anyone else. You have chosen to do this, and whatever happens is on YOU. That being said: I'm sure there are countless members who would be more than happy to help should something go wrong.
    Are you on system 602/605?

It could also be a bad SD card...
    Copy your SD's contents to your PC and format it via
    Warning: All data on your memory card will be deleted.

Press the Menu key from the Home Screen
    Touch Settings
    Touch SD card & phone storage
    Touch Format SD card
    Touch Format SD card again to confirm
    I don't think its a bad SD card because I flashed APEX 2.0.0 RC4 and that worked fine from bootstrap recovery. Just having problems with Liberty. Tried both Liberty 1.0 and 2.0
    I'm trying to install the Liberty rom but it keeps giving me an error in the recovery. It just says can't open xxx.zip (bad) installation aborted. I checked the MD5 and it matched the file. Also tried it on Bootstrap recovery and Clockwork Recovery 5.0.2.0. Can anyone help please?

i had the same problem. I found it was the file. I re-downloaded it and everthing worked perfect, don't know if that helps you though