Defect - Plastic around the screen cracking with light use.

Search This thread

hp79

Nov 14, 2007
Tigard, OR
I was cleaning my 9 months old Galaxy Note today, and noticed micro fine cracks, (THREE OF THEM!!) around the plastic that is surrounding the screen. I never dropped it or handled it rough. It was always in a protective case, with a screen protector.
Here's a photo of mine:
crack.jpg

There is a similar post for the AT&T model.

Since I got the unlocked international version through Amazon, I have no warranty support at all here in U.S. This sucks.
If I had known about this problem, I would have never bought this phone. I am really pissed, and will not buy any Samsung phones designed this way.

I've read that Galaxy S3 also has this problem. I imagine that Note 2 will probably be the same.

Last edited:

hp79

Nov 14, 2007
Tigard, OR
3 MICRO cracks after 9 months and you say 'do not buy' Seems totally over the top to me.

From the man in your attic...

Maybe it is acceptable for some people... I would definitely not accept anything like this happen to my gadgets. Heck, there shouldn't be any micro cracks even after 2 years. All my gadgets looks new after years. That's how much I'm careful with these things.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I was cleaning my 9 months old Galaxy Note today, and noticed micro fine cracks, (THREE OF THEM!!) around the plastic that is surrounding the screen. I never dropped it or handled it rough. It was always in a protective case, with a screen protector.

Since I got the unlocked international version through Amazon, I have no warranty support at all here in U.S. This sucks.
If I had known about this problem, I would have never bought this phone. I am really pissed, and will not buy any Samsung phones designed this way.

I've read that Galaxy S3 also has this problem. I imagine that Note 2 will probably be the same.

You got three, that's THREE tiny cracks on your phone and you're freaking out after 9 months? Also, i have never heard of this before, so this is clearly an isolated incident. I have no cracks and i bet 99.999% of people out there doesn't have it either. Go home son, you're drunk.

msedek

Apr 3, 2012
Santiago de chile
Maybe it is acceptable for some people... I would definitely not accept anything like this happen to my gadgets. Heck, there shouldn't be any micro cracks even after 2 years. All my gadgets looks new after years. That's how much I'm careful with these things.

Poor wife and kids.. Get over it.. Stuff its just stuff... Enjoy your devices until you get a new one and that's it.. "micro scratch" pfft get a life

Tapatalking on my n7000

hp79

Nov 14, 2007
Tigard, OR
You got three, that's THREE tiny cracks on your phone and you're freaking out after 9 months? Also, i have never heard of this before, so this is clearly an isolated incident. I have no cracks and i bet 99.999% of people out there doesn't have it either. Go home son, you're drunk.

Poor wife and kids.. Get over it.. Stuff its just stuff... Enjoy your devices until you get a new one and that's it.. "micro scratch" pfft get a life

Tapatalking on my n7000

"while being babysitted"
Don't feed the little baby troll :banghead:

Wow, so offensive here. No I'm not drunk. Yes I know it's just a device, albeit a poor quality one. it's not a scratch, it's a real crack. A plastic piece separated into two or more pieces. Big difference there. Third, I'm not trolling so please stop trolling.

I paid $600 for a high end device, and I expect a certain level of quality with that price tag. I'm not as rich as you guys so I take care of my gadgets and use it for at least two years. I found mine having this crack after 9 months of careful use, most likely developed over time. It's just now that I found this while cleaning it.

This is not an isolated issue as I can easily find people with same issues. Here are some of the "0.001% of people" complaining about the cracks because the bad build quality/material.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-crack-appearing-front-bezel-out-nowhere.html
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/35091-hairline-cracks-on-the-sides-d/
http://www.huzoorbux.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-burden-of-hairline-cracks_1332.html#.UMk3SYO5PzQ

I don't understand why you guys are so defensive about this.

Last edited:

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
I bought my black note in Feb 2012. I just looked at mine with a magnifying glass, no micro cracks in mine. Little rough on one corner where my Macbook Air fell on it, what a heart attack that was. It just ripped my screen protector. I say just throw a tpu cover on it and forget about it.

White historically has issues. The HTC One X had issues with white and I remember the White HTC Vouge for Verizon had a slight cracking issue. I wonder in order to make it white they have to add too much TiO2 in and less plasticizer making it more brittle. I usually try to avoid white phones.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Just checked my black Note, purchased in November 2011. No cracks at all, and I've dropped it a couple of times including one time when I dropped it face down onto a wet concrete floor (the rough type you find outdoors).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Blu3Fr0g and hp79

burtcom

Apr 23, 2007
Helena

You pretty much have to expect rudeness when posting here. Report them or ignore them.

As for the warranty -- are you sure you don't have one? Check with Amazon. I thought anyone selling in the US has to provide the manufacturer warranty.

Of course they might not cover cracks anyway since it would be hard to prove it wasnt dropped.

Reactions: hp79

abax44

Oct 13, 2010

This guy is sooo in tune with all things Note. If he hasn't heard about it, you must be lying...or drunk.

I'd look into the warranty thing. That's definitely a defect.

GocaS6

Mar 31, 2011
Mostar
I dropped my Note couple of times and i've got at least 20 scratches and guess what?
I don't give a f**k :D
I buyed a damn phone, he didn't buy me for me to be his slave :cool:

rraaka

Sep 8, 2010
Im also proud of the little dents and scratches as long as I caused them and I can get the phone up and working again.

But i can never defend the build quality which is less than satisfactory.

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
Well, Samsung uses "cheap plastic" but then again look at Apple - most expensive anodized aluminum and 1/3 of iphones 5 came scratched out of box.

What i'm trying to say... im just like you, i treat my gadgets like eggs, but we're talking about things we use all day every day - they will get damaged no matter how you try so its best to get over it. Anyway i think your case is not very common.

Reactions: YLNdroid

tozneno

Sep 6, 2007
France
about this micro cracking, don't wast your time to send your phone to sammy, i try it ( because me too i don't think sutch craking are normale on a 600€ phone ) and sammy don't take that in warenty, they sad it my fault... crap plastic and crap warenty... it was clear that sammy don't wan't to eard about that lol

Reactions: OMC-LUXOR

kaylacokefreak

Oct 9, 2012
I checked mine too. I got it in August 2012. Im pretty careful with it also. Got a case for it too. I found one of those cracks on the right side. To be honest..its covered with my case..and its not on my screen...Its not a big deal. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

kingears

Nov 7, 2010
Gosport, Hampshire
I've got a black note and I've dropped it a couple of times, no cracks.

My Mrs has a white note and hers does have cracks the same as the OP, but then she does have Teflon hands hahaha :D

*******Before posting a question, search, search and search again, if there is no solution then post your question*******

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Do I have to remind all users to be courteous when posting. If your going to post something don't post in a way that is demeaning to others.

If you don't have this minor issue then great. But to flame someone who does is just pathetic. Thanks for drawing attention to yourselves, I'll now keep an eye out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Wow, so offensive here. No I'm not drunk. Yes I know it's just a device, albeit a poor quality one. it's not a scratch, it's a real crack. A plastic piece separated into two or more pieces. Big difference there. Third, I'm not trolling so please stop trolling.

I paid $600 for a high end device, and I expect a certain level of quality with that price tag. I'm not as rich as you guys so I take care of my gadgets and use it for at least two years. I found mine having this crack after 9 months of careful use, most likely developed over time. It's just now that I found this while cleaning it.

This is not an isolated issue as I can easily find people with same issues. Here are some of the "0.001% of people" complaining about the cracks because the bad build quality/material.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-crack-appearing-front-bezel-out-nowhere.html
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/35091-hairline-cracks-on-the-sides-d/
    http://www.huzoorbux.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-burden-of-hairline-cracks_1332.html#.UMk3SYO5PzQ

Finally, a picture of one of my cracks.
    crack.jpg

'Not as rich as you guys' you more $ than me. Fyi I've cancer, no job, savings gone living. You start saying micro cracks, then they are bits of plastic dropping off!
    I do know how it feels when a pristine phone shows its f first mark. Your eyes are Drawn to to them. My Swiss watch has a tiny scratch. That's life. Put it in a case.

I bought my black note in Feb 2012. I just looked at mine with a magnifying glass, no micro cracks in mine. Little rough on one corner where my Macbook Air fell on it, what a heart attack that was. It just ripped my screen protector. I say just throw a tpu cover on it and forget about it.

White historically has issues. The HTC One X had issues with white and I remember the White HTC Vouge for Verizon had a slight cracking issue. I wonder in order to make it white they have to add too much TiO2 in and less plasticizer making it more brittle. I usually try to avoid white phones.
    Do I have to remind all users to be courteous when posting. If your going to post something don't post in a way that is demeaning to others.

If you don't have this minor issue then great. But to flame someone who does is just pathetic. Thanks for drawing attention to yourselves, I'll now keep an eye out.
    3 MICRO cracks after 9 months and you say 'do not buy' Seems totally over the top to me.