New firmware update today

Search This thread

Frooty

May 29, 2011
I got it about a half an hour ago and so far I feel like the only thing they changed was the menu button icon in a bunch of Google apps. Now it is 3 vertical dots. I could be wrong but I feel like it was different before.

Besides that I don't notice any difference.

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
I wonder if this time it wipes the whole system partition in order to eliminate any remaining HC niggles that may/may not have been causing issues.

I got it about a half an hour ago and so far I feel like the only thing they changed was the menu button icon in a bunch of Google apps. Now it is 3 vertical dots. I could be wrong but I feel like it was different before.

Besides that I don't notice any difference.

Were you rooted previously? Do you still have root?

GirLuvsDroid

Feb 16, 2010
Wilmington, DE
I used the Voodoo Rootkeeper app to temporarily undo root, then tried to install the update and the update failed. I used Rootkeeper to give me back root, but my overclock got wiped out. I just ran the Gscript I created from the vipermod tool script and got it back and then had SystemTunerPro set it to keep the CPU settings on boot again, but I'm not sure what to do about the update at this point.

BSMan1011

Sep 14, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Tried installing and got an android that looked like it was is in surgery with a red warning sign above it....about to try again... I have root but that is all

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

I also have a custom boot anim which i am going to remove and retry now

senatorxmg

Dec 21, 2011
You guys who have done stuff with root are brave. I'm waiting for the updates to slow down before I attempt any custom stuff. No need to confuse myself as to the cause of issues should they occur. I'm staying vanilla for awhile!!

Reactions: d1ez3

dabbill

Mar 25, 2010
Updated just fine for me on a rooted device. Restored root with root keeper. Did not unroot before running the update.

ragesoss

Jul 25, 2010
Seattle
I just upgraded. No issues, and root is still intact.

Update: Actually, I was mistaken. It broke root, but it restored fine with rootkeeper.

Last edited:

BSMan1011

Sep 14, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
You guys who have done stuff with root are brave. I'm waiting for the updates to slow down before I attempt any custom stuff. No need to confuse myself as to the cause of issues should they occur. I'm staying vanilla for awhile!!

All I have done is the custom boot anim and even that doesnt require replacing any files, I am still afraid to mess with cpu with things like vipermod

BSMan1011

Sep 14, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Attempt 2 failed....got halfway then died....any ideas anyone?

UPDATE:
2rd attempt failed as well died around 1/3 way, 2nd probably died at the same point I just didnt pay enough attention....3rd try was plugged in, I am at 45% so that shouldnt be the issue but thought I would try....going to remove root and try again

Last edited:

colbyb25

Feb 26, 2011
Mine seems to work just fine. Not sure why, but my prime is FLYING now...everything is super fast and smooth. Before it was fast, but not like this and every once in a while there would be a little lag. No more. This is even from "Normal" Mode. I can confirm that it breaks root however. My Prime no longer has root privileges.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea, I've been trying this update for a couple days now. Still no success. :(

Seems like a routing issue. My home and work connections (both RCN) couldn't get to it, but I tried tethering through ATT and got it right away.
    Yes, I did delete some /system files, like email and calculator, that I would never use (since I use K-9 and Real Calc instead). I always have deleted those on custom ROMs on my OG Droid, so it's probably a bad habit I should have broken for my Prime.

Is there a system dump for the ICS update? I saw a couple that were posted before the ICS update and one deodexed version of ICS, but I'm not sure deodexed would work.

I had removed system apks as well before the update. The way I fixed mine was by going to Asus site and redownloaded the the US_epaduser9_4_2_7 Update firmware. It re-downloaded 4.0.3 and recovered all my missing sys apks. Just finished downloading the latest just now with no issues.
    For anyone not able to take the OTA, I posted the manual update file last night and NoxiousNinja reposted/hosted it on multiple servers for download.

This should work for those of you in the US not getting it yet, or who have the unknown serial number and can't get OTAs.

If this was helpful please add a thanks to both myself and NoxiousNinja! (BTW it is posted in android dev forum)
    This is not a GPS fix at all, people reporting GPS improvement are mostly going through Placebo due to firmware version change. GPS is obstructed just as much as before, the driver might be better handling GPS signals it finds, but it cannot find more signals and you cannot use it for navigation. Otherwise people would post about improvements all around, but that's not the case, some have it and some don't is the same situation as before.

According to ASUS UK this fix was to fix the screen banding issues and graphical glitches.