[DEV][THE S-OFF CAMPAIGN] We need electrical engineers & experts in JTAG, OpenOCD!

Search This thread

pihug12

Nov 26, 2011
Uhhhhh...... That's what we did, long ago.
No, it's not. Nobody dumped a thing with this ENG HBOOT.

Don't take it offensive, but most of your posts are kinda useless here. If you just want to say "Come on guys !", "Yeah ! Let's do it this way !", "I don't get a thing of your last post", or post an "Hello world" in Java or ask questions about our personal lifes, just don't. Sorry if I seem mean. ;)

EDIT : And please, change this blinking signature, it gives headaches to no.human.being. :D

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011
Uhhhhh...... That's what we did, long ago.

well i did that, but we failed as we didnt have access to the radio at the time. we need to do it again with access to the radio to see what we can find. as i dont have a spare wildfire s i cannot test again. but, should anyone be in scotland with the htcdev bootloader willing to give the dump files i have the xtc clip and will clip for free.:D

W

Wolf Pup

No, it's not. Nobody dumped a thing with this ENG HBOOT.

Don't take it offensive, but most of your posts are kinda useless here. If you just want to say "Come on guys !", "Yeah ! Let's do it this way !", "I don't get a thing of your last post", or post an "Hello world" in Java or ask questions about our personal lifes, just don't. Sorry if I seem mean. ;)

EDIT : And please, change this blinking signature, it gives headaches to no.human.being. :D

No I don't. Try reading every single one of my posts. You'll see how useful I am. FYI, I do do helpful things, I made the forum that NHB started his research in, have a look. And I made a ROM. I have done so many things. I didn't post an hello world in Java. And I dont ask personal questions. what is your country isn't even that personal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, since we're back to kernels, we still getting the white screen?

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011
ok guys lets not start fighting here, we all have a common goal in mind. lets focus on the task at hand. we need to find a kernal dev willing to help us and we need to get these s-on s-off radio dumps from the xtc clip.

Reactions: EJKasteel
W

Wolf Pup

Sorry.
Like stated before, I say we work with the HTC Aria/Salsa people so we can get S-OFF.

pihug12

Nov 26, 2011
we need to get these s-on s-off radio dumps from the xtc clip.
If the ENG HBOOT is working like theq86 said, it could be easier to find the real @secu_flag than with the XTC-Clip method.

The XTC-Clip mades various changes on the device (secu_flag, SuperCID and SIM unlock) and needs a reboot at the end of the operation. With this ENG HBOOT, a S-OFF user could simply flip the real bit with "fastboot oem readsecureflag" and "fastboot oem writesecureflag" and no reboot will be needed probably.
If it works and if the @secu_flag is really on the NAND, comparing the before/after dumps will be as easy as ABC. :D

I didn't find any infos about the ENG HBOOT 0.81.2000 however. I don't know where *se-nsei. got it and I saw nobody here reports it working good. :-/

Last edited:
Reactions: no.human.being

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Nothing Phone 2
If the ENG HBOOT is working like theq86 said, it could be easier to find the real @secu_flag than with the XTC-Clip method.

The XTC-Clip mades various changes on the device (secu_flag, SuperCID and SIM unlock) and needs a reboot at the and of the operation. With this ENG HBOOT, a S-OFF user could simply flip the real bit with "fastboot oem readsecureflag" and "fastboot oem writesecureflag" and no reboot will be needed probably.
If it works and if the @secu_flag is really on the NAND, comparing the before/after dumps will be as easy as ABC. :D

I didn't find any infos about the ENG HBOOT 0.81.2000 however. I don't know where *se-nsei. got it and I saw nobody here reports it working good. :-/

An S-OFF user checked the eng hboot thing. Result was: we have the diag tool (which is copied to the sd card from the xtc clip) but not the eng hboot itself.

W

Wolf Pup

That's good to know.
Are you working on the kernel to, theq86? Or are you trying a different approach? I'm sticking with my Doctor Who story, that's for sure!! :D
When you get a stock S-OFF phone, is it just a coincidence?

no.human.being

Oct 29, 2011
I know for a fact that it's in Europe.

No it is not.

You are explicitely allowed to disassemble/decompile utilities, e. g. in order to inspect them for backdoors, etc. Of course you aren't allowed to use the implementation in your own software (the implementation is protected by copyright), but you may create your own code that functionally does the same (the "principle" can only be protected by patents and there are no software patents in Europe).

Many EULAs prohibit reverse engineering, but EULAs are not considered legally binding contracts. You may just hit "accept", it's not a thing you are in any way bound to. It's different if you use the software in conjunction with a "service" (e. g. an online game), as the "terms of service" are legally binding, but the EULA itself is not.

But there's a different thing that makes me concerned and it's the fact that we're patching the HBOOT and this software is protected by copyright. I'm not sure whether creating a software that patches it is already considered "creating a derived work" (which we would NOT be allowed to do) or if that "derived work" is only created "on the phone" and therefore by the person running the patch (after all the patch itself doesn't contain HBOOT code at all).

From my point of view I'd say that we're not creating a "derived work", but I'm not sure if jurisdiction shared my view. I really don't want to infringe any "intellectual property". It's one of the worst things you can do as a computer scientist. Could we port this one over to the phone and get rid of HBOOT entirely?

Btw, since so many asked why I didn't post for some time. I'm a bit busy at the moment and we still haven't got a functioning kernel.

Last edited:
Reactions: *se-nsei.

BeciMester

Jul 22, 2010
Dublin
Is it still illegal if you do the modification only for yourself on your own phone and do not distribute the modified code? Also: do you legally have to restore everything to stock if you sell the phone or give it away?

(I'm on my phone...)

eoghan2t7

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
OPPO Find X2 Pro
OPPO Find X5 Pro
Is it still illegal if you do the modification only for yourself on your own phone and do not distribute the modified code? Also: do you legally have to restore everything to stock if you sell the phone or give it away?

(I'm on my phone...)

its not illegal to modify your phone as it your property for example when apple took George Francis Hotz aka geohot to court about him breaking the iphone bootloaders etc the courts dropped the case because its not illegal to do ;)

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Nothing Phone 2

(I'm on my phone...)

Well, as long as you sell it for private purpose it doesn't matter.

However, nhb is right. Even if the exploit does not contain hboot code, we can not just patch hboot and distribute it.
distribute the exploit, however is leading us into a shadow corner of right.

The approach of getting uboot to work may not infringe copyright, but it would surely need some bricked wildfires before being usable.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

its not illegal to modify your phone as it your property for example when apple took George Francis Hotz aka geohot to court about him breaking the iphone bootloaders etc the courts dropped the case because its not illegal to do ;)

At least in my country, anything cracking the SIMLOCK IS illegal

Top Liked Posts