[Q] Official Galaxy S II Car Dock / Holder USB to Car Stereo problem

Search This thread
May 23, 2011
Hi all :),

I've just bought the official Samsung car holder / dock.
i1.expansys.com/img/b/217880/samsung-car-holder-for-galaxy-s-ii.jpg

It's well made and a perfect fit for the phone (without case) but I'm having problems connecting to my car stereo.

After a bit off fiddling with settings (turning on USB debugging) I can connect my GalaxyS2 directly to my Pioneer DEH-2300UB headunit with the USB cable.

GalaxyS2 then detects that it's connected by USB. Pulling down the notification bar and clicking the USB icon turns it on. It is then detected by the headunit like it would any USB mass storage device and plays MP3 files.

But if I connect the car holder to the headunit with the USB cable, then clip my GalaxyS2 into the car holder, the phone goes into car dock mode.
I can get out of car dock mode by pulling down the notifications bar and turning it off but I can't get the the phone into USB mass storage mode.

Any idea how I can get my GalaxyS2 to detect the USB connection and not the car dock?

Last edited:
May 23, 2011
I'm a newb so can't post direct pics or links so you'll have to cut and paste the link below.

h t t p ://i1.expansys.com/img/b/217880/samsung-car-holder-for-galaxy-s-ii.jpg

May 23, 2011
The head unit detects that something has been connected and tries to scan it but because the GalaxyS2 is not in mass storage mode the headunit displays an error.

erazer007

Apr 2, 2011
Bangalore
www.youtube.com
Maybe theres a 3rd party app that can change it or maybe we can trick the phone into detecting connection into something else first and then putting it into the car dock. thus it might not go into the car dock mode

May 23, 2011
Been looking around the market. There are a few apps but "NoDock" seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for.

market.android.com/details?id=com.nothize.nodock

There is a trial version. I'll re-root my phone and give it a try.

erazer007

Apr 2, 2011
Bangalore
www.youtube.com
Cool. Let us know after you give it a try

BTW have you tried plugging in a female USB port and then connecting the male end to your head unit? Or maybe you could try an aux input after docking it.

Last edited:
May 23, 2011
I think what is happening is that the USB connection is just supplying power to the car holder.

There is an AUX-out on the car holder and an AUX-in on the headunit. I'll see if I can find an AUX cable and try it. Connected that way I think I'll be able to control the MP3s from the phone instead of the headunit.

scarmona

Nov 7, 2010
Toronto
Maybe this is a bit off-topic but can you tell me if you notice any interference noise through the dock's audio line out when the phone is not playing anything? This is an annoying issue in the I9000 with its official car dock.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

erazer007

Apr 2, 2011
Bangalore
www.youtube.com
I think what is happening is that the USB connection is just supplying power to the car holder.

There is an AUX-out on the car holder and an AUX-in on the headunit. I'll see if I can find an AUX cable and try it. Connected that way I think I'll be able to control the MP3s from the phone instead of the headunit.

lol. thats it then I guess. if there is already an aux out, it must be that Did they include a 3.5mm cable?

scarmona

Nov 7, 2010
Toronto
What type of interference? I get the usual RF interference just the same as if you put the phone next to a speaker when in GPRS mode. You'd get that with all phones IMO.

I didn't mean RF interference, that will depend on the proper shielding your audio system has (I think). The noise I'm talking about is different, sometimes it's random noise and some other times it is a buzzing that goes high and low depending on the acceleration/deceleration of the car engine... I know... weird. This does NOT happen if I connect the phone directly through its 3.5 jack and not the dock's.
Maybe they sorted it out in the I9100 car dock.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App