Galaxy S2 screen replacement photo tutorial.

Search This thread

gndl

Feb 28, 2012
Maybe a silly question... When you change the complete screen. Is the home button a part of the new screen? My screen isn´t very good but my homebutton doesnt work at all so I need to change booth of this.. Anyone like to inform me on this?? Thanks in advance! :)

AIstudio

May 31, 2011
screen replacement

Nice Tutorial there :D

I hope I dont have to do this to mine but as I have replaced screens on loads of devices it is always nice to be able to see inside the device BEFORE you actually just dive in and rip it appart and damage something.

Thanks

Reactions: Prostheta

zed011

Jan 18, 2011
Wait so if I only want toreplace the chrome bezel, does that mean I need to buy a whole new screen? It looks like the chrome bezel is attached to it. My screen is perfect but the chrome around it has paint chipping off. Has anyone done this? Remove only the screen apart from the front frame

Last edited:

drikkk

Apr 20, 2012
Avoiding question?

Hi guys

In this 17 pgs thread one question is asked many times but newer properly answered... Atleast I can´t find any solid answer.

How do I change the glass only, not the whole display?

I can´t find any pictures or good answers on this. Heatgun is no answer, only a clue :)...
I want to know if the phone has to be in molekules first or if I can just heat the glass and rip it of? Maybe remove the battery only

Is there any connections between the glass and the display (or how you say)?

Do I have to heat up the new glass before attaching for the 3M tape to stick?
Do I tape around the whole glass or just in a few places? Is the tape precut?

Is it stupid to solve it like this even though the touch- stuff is ok?

The one who answers this answers the single most asked question in this whole thread :)

Great thread!

NoOneCanHelpMe

Jun 12, 2010
UK

I couldnt find anything specific as well except may be this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Y6an6D2PE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The glass is pretty shattered, from what I could see is that if u use heatgun and start lifting gently from one side and heat constanly u should be able to lift the glass to which the screen is stuck with adhesive as well, I think. Then u could probably separate the glass from the screen and stick the new glass back, but not sure. Someone should contact ifixyouri and ask them about specifics :)

naamankaa

Dec 19, 2010
Any ideas where could I find cheapest screen replacement assembly with shipping to Finland? Any recommendations? Or how much would it roughly cost?

It's pity that it's not possible to only replace the glass cause my display is flawless but the glass is cracked. :/

Last edited:

YaPaY

Jun 25, 2010
Zurich
Hi guys

In this 17 pgs thread one question is asked many times but newer properly answered... Atleast I can´t find any solid answer.

How do I change the glass only, not the whole display?

I can´t find any pictures or good answers on this. Heatgun is no answer, only a clue :)...
I want to know if the phone has to be in molekules first or if I can just heat the glass and rip it of? Maybe remove the battery only

Is there any connections between the glass and the display (or how you say)?

Do I have to heat up the new glass before attaching for the 3M tape to stick?
Do I tape around the whole glass or just in a few places? Is the tape precut?

Is it stupid to solve it like this even though the touch- stuff is ok?

The one who answers this answers the single most asked question in this whole thread :)

Great thread!

I have exact problem too,

How I can change only outer screen?

Prostheta

Sep 3, 2010
Raisio
Any ideas where could I find cheapest screen replacement assembly with shipping to Finland? Any recommendations? Or how much would it roughly cost?

It's pity that it's not possible to only replace the glass cause my display is flawless but the glass is cracked. :/

Hei vaan - noin €90? Ostin mun oman näytön ebay:sta englannista.
(I bought my screen from an ebay seller in the UK for about €90)

Prostheta

Sep 3, 2010
Raisio
Ehkä....tämä oli mun myyjä:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tazz5jones/
Hänellä ei ole mitään näyttöjä tällä hetkellä. Ehkä voisitte lähettää hänelle sähköpostia?

(This was the ebay seller. He does't have any screens for sale at the moment. Perhaps you should send him an email?)

Mun suomea ei ole täydellinen vielä!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Having stupidly cracked my screen last week I pulled the trigger on a replacement part from an eBay seller. Thanks go out to the people who graciously donated a few Euros/Dollars/Pounds/etc. to this cause. This tutorial is my thanks to you, and also to the wider XDA community for having provided me plenty of yummy Android fun ever since my first Galaxy S last July. Any subsequent donations are of course welcome (I have a bumper case to buy for obvious reasons) however thanks are also gladly received.
    thumbup.gif

This tutorial will be completed progressively, hence the various edits and reserved posts. Do bear with me. So here goes!

Tutorial complete! Enjoy. I am happy to help out with any questions, although please respect the following rules:

1. If you quote posts, please remove references to images. These are hosted on my own shared hosting space at the moment and I want to keep bandwidth down. Please refer to pictures either by step# or by using a URL link.

2. Please read the tutorial through from top to bottom before attempting to do this to your own phone. Despite this, neither myself or XDA can be held liable for you not paying attention or asking questions before carrying out the repair.

3. Stay on topic! I will use this at my own discretion:
    offtopic.gif

I hope this proves useful and helps recover some dead in the water S2s!!!!
    timallen.gif
    5. To part the rear plastic part of the body, a thin but stiff plastic separator was needed. A guitar pick was idea for this. Carry out these steps in a clean and organised environment! The captive buttons are easily lost and they literally drop out when you remove the rear bezel.
    ** under no circumstances use a flat-bladed screwdriver! One slip and you could find yourself with one dead phone if it scratches a PCB track or hits a component. **

I started at the corner nearest the headphone jack....

6. Then I slid the pick down the side to the bottom corner....

7. Cracked open the bottom....(fnar)

8. Before working up the other side to the top....

9. The cover came off easily from thereonin.

10. I familiarised myself with the components needing to be transplanted across. This amounts to the main L-shaped PCB and the front-facing camera/proximity detector. Everything else is part and parcel of the LED panel unit.

11. Working anticlockwise, I gently popped the five ribbon connectors with my nail. I took care not to force these as the connector density and therefore fragility are both high.

12. I found that the antenna connector was actually the hardest component to deal with. Popping it was no problem....reconnecting it however....but we'll get to that later....
    24. Reassembly of the case is made more difficult due to the captive buttons. Rather than trying to balance them whilst whanging the case back together, I progressively closed the case and slipped the buttons into the widened slots before closing the case around them. Far easier!

First, I clipped together the bottom corner of the "volume" side.

I then worked my way up to just below the opening for the volume button and slipped in the button insert.

The top "volume" corner was then closed.

Back at the bottom, I closed the "power" corner.

....then worked up to just below the button....

....slipped in the button....

....and cracked the entire case closed! Woo me.
    Almost finished the dissection!

16. The final part to remove is the front-facing camera and proximity detector. Firstly, I needed to remove the cover from the proximity detector which comprised a tiny metal plate and a small pad. This needed to be pried up from the top for which I used a knife. This was perhaps not the best choice, so a pin or a fine flathead screwdriver might have been better. After removing this, the camera and detector were lifted out carefully.

17. Next I replaced the old chassis and started the process in reverse.

18. Firstly, the camera and detector were fitted. The thin metal plate was replaced and clipped into place using a quick poke from the screwdriver.

I'M IN UR BASE REFITTED UR DOODS

19. The PCB was carefully fitted taking care not to trap any of the ribbon connectors underneath or to scrape the board on the chassis.

20. I manoeuvred the switches into place, and thankfully they still had the majority of the sticky tape left on them. I took care to position them as close as possible with the slots. I didn't want any problems with the buttons not working!! I pressed them in from the side to allow the adhesive to do its job.

21. The two PCB screws were then replaced.

22. This was probably the most difficult part of the job. Smooth the antenna cable down in the groove with your plastic tool and secure in under the PCB, bringing it up through the small notch in the side of the PCB. Apologies for the lack of focus in the photo.

The difficult part is reattaching the antenna connector. I made several attempts at this, checking and rechecking the shape of the connector and failing to make it fit. This is a FRAGILE connector! Don't force it. When it mated, it needed relatively little effort. It was all an alignment job.

23. I finally reclipped all of the ribbon cables back together. Alignment was again of paramount important as the photos show. The force required to reseat these was no greater than the force it takes to press the volume or power button on the S2. Treat these with respect.