[Q] Video Player for MKV (720p)

Search This thread

Alias84270

Feb 16, 2013
Aix en Provence
Hi everyone,

Well, i'm very happy of my surface RT, but i have one big problem : read my favourites series on my surface.

At the moment, i use "press play video" and my movies freeze all the time...

I tried to read the same movie from the sd card or from the internal storage, and the result is the same : freeze.

The result is the same with all my mkv.

does anyone have a solution?

thank's

cx1

Aug 14, 2007
I haven't heard of any MKV player that work with any reliability. VLC player is in the pipeline but looking like vaporware at the moment.

I would suggest conversion or streaming them via Plex or similar that can transcode.

BIade

Apr 11, 2013
Cologne
Hi everyone,

Well, i'm very happy of my surface RT, but i have one big problem : read my favourites series on my surface.

At the moment, i use "press play video" and my movies freeze all the time...

I tried to read the same movie from the sd card or from the internal storage, and the result is the same : freeze.

The result is the same with all my mkv.

does anyone have a solution?

thank's

HD.Mobile Media Player ;)

Reactions: ashwin1234

reggie14

May 29, 2010
Is that still working for you OK? I tried the stock Xbox video app and mobile.HD media player and both have poor audio/video sync. The video trails behind the audio by a few tenths of a second, despite the same files playing back fine on Windows 7 WMP, my Nexus 7 2nd gen, and my Roku.

Videos synced and played back through Plex are fine, and Netflix is fine, too, but I can't seem to find a basic video player app that works correctly.

gkarg

Oct 22, 2010
Is that still working for you OK? I tried the stock Xbox video app and mobile.HD media player and both have poor audio/video sync. The video trails behind the audio by a few tenths of a second, despite the same files playing back fine on Windows 7 WMP, my Nexus 7 2nd gen, and my Roku.

Videos synced and played back through Plex are fine, and Netflix is fine, too, but I can't seem to find a basic video player app that works correctly.

Hi

FilesFolders Pro works great for me.

gkarg

reggie14

May 29, 2010
Hi

FilesFolders Pro works great for me.

gkarg

Hmmm, no luck for me. I get the same audio/video sync problems.

What do you use to encode your videos? I use a slightly modified version of the High Profile preset in Handbrake. All the relevant video stuff is unchanged from the preset, which the exception being that I limit the resolution width to 1280. I'm going to try encoding something using the baseline profile just to see what happens.

Jorgkuiper

Jul 15, 2008
Since there is still no VLC, i'm using power media player (power dvd).

Streaming 1080p from My NAS Works fine, besides some stuttering at the first few seconds .

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

reggie14

May 29, 2010
Since there is still no VLC, i'm using power media player (power dvd).

Streaming 1080p from My NAS Works fine, besides some stuttering at the first few seconds .

Thanks!

The key seems to be the encoding settings. I tried re-encoding one movie using the H.264 baseline profile. The resulting file was about 50% bigger, but plays without any issue. I'd hate to have to use such non-optimized settings, though.

Are you playing back full blu-ray rips (e.g., rips using MakeMKV)? Or, if they're re-encoded, do you know what the encoding settings were? Otherwise I guess I'll just have to play around with some different encoding schemes, adding more H.264 high-profile features until the A/V sync breaks.

Update: Anything about baseline profile gives me audio/video sync problems. That's really disappointing, given that the Tegra3 should have no problem with high-profile content.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts