[Q] Bypassing AT&T Throttle on SGS5?

Search This thread

plarser48

Nov 19, 2011
I just got hit with the throttle at 5GB. On my old SGS2, I had a few APNs plugged in to bypass. Anyone know of any good alternatives?

Alternatively, I was attempting to follow this thread.

In particular, I wanted to disable GPRS to keep it from throttling. Normally this can be done by changing the network mode (see here).

Unfortunately the G900A variant does not have "Network Mode" (AT&T must be blocking it). Any tips on how to get to it or other ways to bypass throttling?

buffjam9011

May 22, 2012
I don't think I understand how this works. I am on a grandfathered data plan and get throttled at 5 GB. I am very conscientious in monitoring my data usage to avoid throttling.

To clarify what I think I learned in this thread, please confirm or correct the following statements: (i) when you are throttled, you are simply pushed to the EDGE network which is 2g (slow). (ii) By choosing a network preference such as LTE/CDMA (which does not include GSM (EDGE/2G)), you will instead be throttled to CDMA (4g) which isn't terrible like EDGE, but not great like LTE thereby "bypassing" the throttle.

plarser48

Nov 19, 2011
I don't think I understand how this works. I am on a grandfathered data plan and get throttled at 5 GB. I am very conscientious in monitoring my data usage to avoid throttling.

To clarify what I think I learned in this thread, please confirm or correct the following statements: (i) when you are throttled, you are simply pushed to the EDGE network which is 2g (slow). (ii) By choosing a network preference such as LTE/CDMA (which does not include GSM (EDGE/2G)), you will instead be throttled to CDMA (4g) which isn't terrible like EDGE, but not great like LTE thereby "bypassing" the throttle.

Thats the theory.

BAM1789

Dec 5, 2011
Mesa
Does switching to WCDMA actually bypass ATTs throttling? I've only been throttled once, still would be nice to know.

Top Liked Posts