[MOD] Remap Rosie: (L) Phone | Apps (M) | Camera (R) or (Mms, Mail, Music, More) 4x5

Search This thread

JsChiSurf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
EDIT 1/4/2001: See Here, if after applying your desired Rosie mod, you wish to apply a 4x5 workspace to your Rosie using MetaMorph, and See Here to apply a 5 icon wide app drawer using MetaMorph.

The Rosie mods provided below are compatible with the 3.70 update.

To all the former Hero owners, good to see you all again! To everyone else, nice to meet you. My annual upgrade finally arrived and I picked myself up an EVO yesterday. Being new to the EVO, I'm not really sure what mods may have already been done, but I couldn't find any posts regarding remapping stock Rosie for the EVO, so I figured I'd tackle this one first in similar fashion for what I did with the Hero.

This is based off of Fresh 3.4.0.1 Espresso, but a themer could certainly take and adapt to their ROM as desired.

It should be noted that on initial boot, you will get a one-time force close on Rosie. I'm not sure why this is occurring, but only happens on initial boot and does not impact functionality. I will keep looking at it to try and resolve. <--- This issue has been resolved.

Many, including myself, find the 'add shortcut' button on the right of Rosie to be unnecessary, and find the phone button being front and center unnecessary as well. The first remap simply switches out the app drawer and phone buttons placement, leaving the add shortcut button on the right. It is essentially stock Rosie with the exception of swapping out app drawer / phone.

The remaining remaps remove the 'add shortcut' button and replaces it with more commonly used applications, such as MMS, Mail, Camera, Music, and more. For MMS and Mail versions, I've included remaps for both stock MMS & Mail, as well as Handcent, ChompSMS, Gmail, and K9.

There are additional options that remap both the left and right buttons as well. Scroll the the list in this post to see available options. Don't see a combination you like? Let me know.

These remaps allow you to continue running Sense while benefiting from similar mappings to some of the custom launchers out there.

Remap Stock Buttons:
Rosie_Remap_Stock.png

Remap Stock Buttons <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button MMS:
Rosie_Remap_MMS.png

Right Button Stock MMS <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Handcent MMS <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Mail:
Rosie_Remap_Mail.png

Right Button Stock Mail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button K9 Mail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Gmail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Stock Camera:
Rosie_Remap_Camera.png

Right Button Stock Camera <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Stock Music:
Rosie_Remap_Music.png

Right Button Stock Music <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button K9, Right Handcent:
Rosie_Remap_K9_Handcent.png

Left Button K9, Right Button Handcent <--- Flash via Recovery

EDIT 10/3/2010: Based on requests, the additional options have been added below:

Right Button Contacts:
Rosie_Remap_Contacts.png

Right Button Contacts <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Browser:
Rosie_Remap_Browser.png

Right Button Stock Browser <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Dolphin HD <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Stock MMS, Right Button Stock Music:
Rosie_Remap_MMS_Music.png

Left Button Stock MMS, Right Button Stock Music <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Gmail, Right Button Stock MMS:

Left Button Gmail, Right Button Stock MMS <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button ChompSMS, Right Button Browser:
Rosie_Remap_Chomp_Browser.png

Left Button ChompSMS, Right Button Browser <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Contacts, Right Button Gmail:
Rosie_Remap_Contacts_Gmail.png

Left Button Contacts, Right Button Gmail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Google Voice:
Rosie_Remap_Voice.png

Right Button Google Voice <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Voice Command Search:
Rosie_VoiceSearch.png

Right Button Voice Search <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Google Talk, Right Button Gmail:
Rosie_Talk_Gmail.png

Left Button Talk, Right Button Gmail <--- Flash via Recovery

Last edited:

SITH16

Feb 19, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
I like this mod, only two things though.

One, I don't want to remap my phone and app drawer, I like them where they are.

Two, I don't like the esspresso look..I perfer the sense look.

Is there any way to get a guide on how to do this ourselves so we can mod our own rosie the way we want?

teshxx

Jul 19, 2010
FL
great job bud...it would be beneficial if you can do a write up on how u achieved this.

iamthebigcheeze

Jul 25, 2010
Norf Carolana
Love the idea, but I somehow wound up with a transparent rosie background and the white buttons blend into my wallpaper. Fresh 3.3.0.1 and rEVOlution.

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Love the idea, but I somehow wound up with a transparent rosie background and the white buttons blend into my wallpaper. Fresh 3.3.0.1 and rEVOlution.
Not even sure what you mean regarding 'transparent rosie background'.

Are you running espresso? Screen shot? Which option did you flash?

I'd be curious if you see the same behavior for all, or just the particular one you chose.

looneylu

Jan 5, 2010
which one gives me the rosie icons with no labels?

Last edited:

bmtdan

Apr 5, 2010
cincinnati
iim really loving this mod its actually something ive wanted for awhile anyway to do this with a music and messaging icon?

blakeboys

Dec 17, 2008
Lake County, FL
I've been playing with LauncherPro and have fell in love! One thing though, where did you get that background? I like it, looks like it'd be fun to fish too haha.

RE687

Jan 15, 2010
I've been waiting for something like this forever. If you could somehow put the People (contacts) app in the right most section, like the Mytouch 3G Slide, it would highly appreciated!

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
iim really loving this mod its actually something ive wanted for awhile anyway to do this with a music and messaging icon?

I've been waiting for something like this forever. If you could somehow put the People (contacts) app in the right most section, like the Mytouch 3G Slide, it would highly appreciated!

Is there anyway to get the browser on the right side of rosie?
Okay, original post has been modified to include the 3 new options referenced above. Enjoy!

Reference:
rosie_remap_mms_music.png
rosie_remap_contacts.png
rosie_remap_browser.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT 1/4/2001: See Here, if after applying your desired Rosie mod, you wish to apply a 4x5 workspace to your Rosie using MetaMorph, and See Here to apply a 5 icon wide app drawer using MetaMorph.

The Rosie mods provided below are compatible with the 3.70 update.

To all the former Hero owners, good to see you all again! To everyone else, nice to meet you. My annual upgrade finally arrived and I picked myself up an EVO yesterday. Being new to the EVO, I'm not really sure what mods may have already been done, but I couldn't find any posts regarding remapping stock Rosie for the EVO, so I figured I'd tackle this one first in similar fashion for what I did with the Hero.

This is based off of Fresh 3.4.0.1 Espresso, but a themer could certainly take and adapt to their ROM as desired.

It should be noted that on initial boot, you will get a one-time force close on Rosie. I'm not sure why this is occurring, but only happens on initial boot and does not impact functionality. I will keep looking at it to try and resolve. <--- This issue has been resolved.

Many, including myself, find the 'add shortcut' button on the right of Rosie to be unnecessary, and find the phone button being front and center unnecessary as well. The first remap simply switches out the app drawer and phone buttons placement, leaving the add shortcut button on the right. It is essentially stock Rosie with the exception of swapping out app drawer / phone.

The remaining remaps remove the 'add shortcut' button and replaces it with more commonly used applications, such as MMS, Mail, Camera, Music, and more. For MMS and Mail versions, I've included remaps for both stock MMS & Mail, as well as Handcent, ChompSMS, Gmail, and K9.

There are additional options that remap both the left and right buttons as well. Scroll the the list in this post to see available options. Don't see a combination you like? Let me know.

These remaps allow you to continue running Sense while benefiting from similar mappings to some of the custom launchers out there.

Remap Stock Buttons:
    Rosie_Remap_Stock.png

Remap Stock Buttons <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button MMS:
    Rosie_Remap_MMS.png

Right Button Stock MMS <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Handcent MMS <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Mail:
    Rosie_Remap_Mail.png

Right Button Stock Mail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button K9 Mail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Gmail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Stock Camera:
    Rosie_Remap_Camera.png

Right Button Stock Camera <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Stock Music:
    Rosie_Remap_Music.png

Right Button Stock Music <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button K9, Right Handcent:

Left Button K9, Right Button Handcent <--- Flash via Recovery

EDIT 10/3/2010: Based on requests, the additional options have been added below:

Right Button Contacts:
    Rosie_Remap_Contacts.png

Right Button Contacts <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Browser:
    Rosie_Remap_Browser.png

Right Button Stock Browser <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Dolphin HD <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Stock MMS, Right Button Stock Music:
    Rosie_Remap_MMS_Music.png

Left Button Stock MMS, Right Button Stock Music <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Gmail, Right Button Stock MMS:

Left Button Gmail, Right Button Stock MMS <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button ChompSMS, Right Button Browser:
    Rosie_Remap_Chomp_Browser.png

Left Button ChompSMS, Right Button Browser <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Contacts, Right Button Gmail:
    Rosie_Remap_Contacts_Gmail.png

Left Button Contacts, Right Button Gmail <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Google Voice:
    Rosie_Remap_Voice.png

Right Button Google Voice <--- Flash via Recovery

Right Button Voice Command Search:
    Rosie_VoiceSearch.png

Right Button Voice Search <--- Flash via Recovery

Left Button Google Talk, Right Button Gmail:
    Rosie_Talk_Gmail.png

Left Button Talk, Right Button Gmail <--- Flash via Recovery
    Man you guys are unrelenting!

I mentioned previously that since I don't prefer / run a 4x5 screen, that it is not something that I would likely take a look at, but given the apparent demand, I went ahead and cracked Rosie back open to take a look.

At any rate, the best way to distribute a change like this, IMHO, is via MetaMorph, so as to prevent undoing anyone's current Rosie mods, as well as to prevent me from having to redo every rosie mod I've posted in this thread as well.

So, if you want to apply this easily, just download MetaMorph from the market, drop the attached zip file in your /sdcard/AndroidThemes folder, open MetaMorph, select 'morph_rosie_4x5.zip' and apply.

It's a simple / single XML file to replace in order to apply the change.

Now, after applying, since you are modifying a running Rosie, your phone may freeze, and require either a reboot via adb, or a battery pull.

This only affects Rosie, so you will have to find a flash elsewhere for modifying your widgets to accommodate the new 4x5 layout, as stock widgets will become messed up as a result of this change.

Also, any current widgets will likely need to be re-added after applying MetaMorph, since modifying Rosie live usually causes widgets to get deleted. It may be a moot point since you need to apply new modified widgets anyway, if you haven't already.

To reiterate: The attached is NOT a flashable zip. It is a MetaMorph file to be applied using the free MetaMorph application in the market
    JschiSurf, thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For last two months I've been harassing every themer and dev here for an espresso rosie remapped with launcher middle, phone left, and browser right, I'm pretty sure I even asked you. I posted my existing rosie files here and someone was gonna have a look at em, etc. Virus, whose roms I use always, used to have this rosie I described in one of his old roms, as an add on,but it didn't work with his newer versions (he's too busy making awesome new roms and ports to bother).

Anyhow, enough history, sorry. Thank you. Using it on virus sense based rc4.2.

I also was dying for the 5 wide app drawer. (that also was part of the old rosie I was trying to replicate). I see you posted that too. Amazing!

The 5 wide metamorph didn't work for me, and undid the rosie mods I had just flashed from you. :( so I nanded back, wiped data, dalvik, cache, and re flashed your rosie mod. Worked fine. (I've never used morph before, so it may be my fault). But I can live without the 5 wide, ad long as I've got launcher in middle.

Just really wanna give you huge huge huge thanks!
    If I can get paypal figured out, I'd love to throw something your way soon.
    Thanks mass

Scott

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
    Does anyone know how to get the 4x5 Rosie layout to play nice with the HTC Task widget?
    It's the other way around. You have to get the HTC Task widget (whatever that is) to play nice with the 4x5 layout, by doing whatever needs to be done to modify the widget to support display in a modified workspace environment.
    you asked if i'm running a gingerbread recovery...i'm not even sure GB has a separate recovery, i think latest clockwork and amon ra just support it...I'm using regular froyo rom and regular clockwork recovery...
    The Dolphin HD mod I asked for is indeed downloadable now, but couldnt flash it either - same errror, this time I got it down:

Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
    Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5
    It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
    Please switch to Edify scripting (update-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.
    Installation aborted

Some help how to install the zip would be much appreciated

The latest Clockwork recovery now uses a kernel that is Gingerbread based, but you're running it on a Froyo rom, thus part of the reason for the issue.

If you have ROM manager installed, you can use it to switch to Amon, or downgrade your version of Clockwork. The latest clockwork recovery you are running does not support old school update script, which, IMHO, is way too early to deprecate, given the number of zips out there still using the syntax.