[ROM] Ubuntu Touch [Mar-6-2014]

Search This thread

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
could you also provide an e975 build please?

I will do that soon, I promise.

Good news is, I'm back to booting again. I'll fix it up a bit and put out a zip either later tonight or tomorrow.

At first glance, it's alot more snappy and screen rotation is working nicely. havn't played too much, as i need to make some changes to get network and such working properly. only wifi right now.. but i expected that.... anyways i'll have it up with network data and all soon..

New Build Is Up!!

Last edited:

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Well I played more on it last night. Seems to be the same bugs, like lack of alarms... Can't add Google accounts(workaround in OP for getting contacts). It seems a bit more responsive then before... Remember its still a work in progress. Ubuntu releases nightly zips and is under constant development. So it'll keep getting better.

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011

Ok, I'm currently building my first try at e975. I'll post it here when it is done. I do not guarantee it will work, I made changes to the kernel config based on differences between e970 and e975 from cyanogen. made some changes to the device repo also, just not sure what changes need to be made so not sure if i got them all.

if it doesn't boot i'll try again, see what else i can find.

*I cant test this myself, I think it is safe but I've never built for e975.*

Give this a try, let me know how it goes.

Last edited:

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
still not booting ;(

but thanks for your work :)

Damn.... OK. I'll take another look and see what I can do.

If, after installing, it sits on a black screen at boot. Hold the power down to reboot the phone. It will again boot to a black screen, but let me know if you can turn your screen on/off with the power button at that point. Even with a black screen you'll see the difference.

steffenbakke

Jun 6, 2013
Really wanna see this get to work... If there's anything I can do for testing it, PLS tell.

Sent from my LG-E975 using xda app-developers app

amedian

Jan 31, 2012
ankara
General Mobile GM 5 Plus
Damn.... OK. I'll take another look and see what I can do.

If, after installing, it sits on a black screen at boot. Hold the power down to reboot the phone. It will again boot to a black screen, but let me know if you can turn your screen on/off with the power button at that point. Even with a black screen you'll see the difference.

i tried your last e975 files and yea at fist boot it was only black screen and power button not working. when i reboot the phone power button start to work.

Reactions: Haze028

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
i tried your last e975 files and yea at fist boot it was only black screen and power button not working. when i reboot the phone power button start to work.

Power button doesn't work until the second boot for e973 as well, so that's good... It means its booting.. Just issue with display. I'll get to trying a few things and put a few different zips up to see if I can get you guys booting. It could means a lot of time spent booting to black screens, but lacking ability to test myself best I can do.

amedian

Jan 31, 2012
ankara
General Mobile GM 5 Plus
Power button doesn't work until the second boot for e973 as well, so that's good... It means its booting.. Just issue with display. I'll get to trying a few things and put a few different zips up to see if I can get you guys booting. It could means a lot of time spent booting to black screens, but lacking ability to test myself best I can do.

Thank you so much man for your all efforts,and i am ready to test your zips :)

Reactions: huy_gm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Better explaination of Ubuntu OS and how it relates to us.

Ubuntu OS currently run on top of an Android "shell". The android layer contains the boot.img(kernel/ramdisk), initd, vendor specific drivers etc.. This is what first boots then the ubuntu file system is loaded within this Android "shell". This is why we need flash two zips to have it working(Android and Ubuntu). Ubuntu uses CM10.1 repos for the Android shell portion of the OS. This still works for us as we had official cm 10.1, though development wasn't long lived before moving to 10.2.
    There is an AOSP 4.4.2 branch Ubuntu is working on to maybe replace the CM based Android component, but it is currently less stable than the CM based. Hopefully the AOSP branch becomes more stable in the near future as the development for our device is active there.

Built from source using modified mako tree/kernel
    Working:
    Most things..
    Power key works to turn screen on and off after a reboot
    Phone/SMS
    3G/Wifi
    Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
    1. Cannot seem to add account with numbers in the email. The back button is active under the keyboard and is activated when trying to switch to numerical keypad
    To Import Google Contacts from computer terminal:
    adb shell

sudo -u phablet -i

syncevolution --configure --sync-property "username=email@gmail.com" --sync-property "password=secret" Google_Contacts

syncevolution --sync refresh-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook
    2. Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported as the ui is made for not having them.
    3. Wifi not remembered after reboot
    4. Alarms don't work

Install from recovery:
    1. Make your Nandroid to return to
    2. Full Wipe
    3. Install geeb zip
    4. Install ubuntu zip - This is SLOW
    5. Reboot and try - There is no boot animation so just be patient.. it boots

Downloads:
    Geeb Zip

Ubuntu Zip
    Ubuntu Touch change log

Don't Forget to hit the Thanks!

I will do that soon, I promise.

Good news is, I'm back to booting again. I'll fix it up a bit and put out a zip either later tonight or tomorrow.

At first glance, it's alot more snappy and screen rotation is working nicely. havn't played too much, as i need to make some changes to get network and such working properly. only wifi right now.. but i expected that.... anyways i'll have it up with network data and all soon..

New Build Is Up!!

Ok, I'm currently building my first try at e975. I'll post it here when it is done. I do not guarantee it will work, I made changes to the kernel config based on differences between e970 and e975 from cyanogen. made some changes to the device repo also, just not sure what changes need to be made so not sure if i got them all.

if it doesn't boot i'll try again, see what else i can find.

*I cant test this myself, I think it is safe but I've never built for e975.*

Give this a try, let me know how it goes.
    Can i flash this on geehrc?why do we need to flash geeb.zip?thanks.

Sent from my Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Its not for sprint yet.....I'll work on that this weekend hopefully.

The geeb.zip is needed because of how Ubuntu touch works. Its currently using a mako device tree that has been converted to flash on my e973, the at&t is pretty much the exact same which is why it works for them.

First you flash a cm10.1 based Ubuntu tweaked android sysyem-- geeb.zip
    Second is the Ubuntu rootfs that goes atop the android base-- Ubuntu zip
    Just for something new to try.......Ubuntu Touch(Trusty) for the Geeb. Though not a daily driver by any means.....barely useable in most respects currently.

Built from source using modified mako tree/kernel

Working:
    Phone/SMS
    3G/Wifi
    Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
    Keyboard crashes
    Unable to add account
    Unable to install programs which is due to 2...which is do to 1....barely functional until fixed
    Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported.

There are really alot more bugs...alot...but those are the two key

Install from recovery:
    1. Make your Nandroid to return to
    2. Full Wipe
    3. Install geeb zip
    4. Install ubuntu zip - This is SLOW
    5. Reboot and try - There is no boot animation so just be patient.. it boots

Downloads:
    Geeb Zip
    Ubuntu Zip

Don't Forget to hit the Thanks!

I don't know if this thread is helpful for you, or maybe you've alreay seen it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2587823

i tried it and it booted successful on my geehrc. Wifi worked, also keyboard and i could add an account too. Phone/SMS didn't work due no signal. The keyboard had also one severe bug: In the terminal the enter key didn't work.
    It's worth a try, you can easily remove it, you just have to reflash your recovery ( in my case TWRP ).