[MOD] microUSB to Tab dock adapter (one of a kind!)

Search This thread

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I finally received my spare Tab usb cable and a few microUSB SMD sockets and have successfully hacked them together to make a very portable adapter so that all of my existing microUSB cables work on the Tab as well. No more having to carry a different cable with me!

Bobbo_b

Jan 7, 2011
Nice work. How did you mount the female micro so neatly?

Sent from my SGH-T849 using XDA App

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010
A video of it functioning would be awesome. I am interested in making this as well. I actually want to create a full USB adapter. I know there is a schematic of the cable and what each one does. Its just a matter of wiring it up right. Perhaps you can make a how-to? what if you plug a USB thumb drive using a USB to micro USB adapter. Would that work?

From the Tab.

www.twitter.com/ayman07

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I don't know if it would do anything with a thumb drive or anything else that requires a host port. For a microUSB socket, there are 5 pins, of which 1 is unused when you wire it to a regular usb dock connector like this one. I haven't looked at the pinout posted, but it's possible that 5th connection is to toggle/enable host mode on the Tab. If I get a chance I'll plug in an external drive and see what happens.

As to how I shoehorned the micro socket into the dock port connector, it just required an X-acto knife and some super glue. Soldering on those tiny smd pins is a pain, so if I make another, I'll etch a small pcb and mount it that way.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Unfortunately no. I will take pics of the inside of my next project, which is to make a dock connector adapter that'll break out into a microUSB port alongside of a miniHDMI (kind of how Samsung should've done it to begin with). I'll definitely snap some pics then, and post up the Eagle files if anyone's interested.

EDIT: Looking at the pinout thread, it looks like the HDMI dock has all sorts of stuff in there that I had assumed were inside the Tab. I'll probably make another microUSB adapter so I can prototype the pcbs.

EDIT2: For USB On-The-Go, it looks like the unused pin 4 (ID) just needs to be grounded to pin 5. I'll test that too.

Last edited:

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I'm currently trying to track down a supplier of the 30-pin connectors. Seems a very daunting task at this point, since I can't speak Chinese, and the majority of the component suppliers do. It wouldn't be cost-effective to purchase full usb cables with the connectors just to harvest the connector off of them. Also, to even test the OTG functionality would require a dock connector with all the pins (or at least pin 13 + the usb ones); most of the usb charging/sync cables only have 7 of the 30 pins. The only connector I know of that has pin 13 is from the HDMI dock, and that's an expensive way to test.

So once these connectors are more readily available, I'll look into making a batch.