[CDMA] [GB 2.3.4] [DEV] Gingerbread for vzw/sprint from source

Search This thread

oldmacnut

Jul 12, 2010
Massive update 7-19-2011

Ok, still going to retain the "Better Than Life-Future Echo's", however I need to give everyone a big fat update as to what the holdup is, and details as to what has been going on.

1. Yes, I can install the rom and kernel released in the other thread just like anyone else.

2. Yes, i did a quicky rom and released it, and basically fell on my face.

3. tried 8 ways to sunday to fix my apparent screw up with the members here regarding that disaster i released.

here is what happened.......

I did my rom mods, and attempted a recovery with the Sprint GB, and while "something" worked on my dev tab, I failed to do a test install on my daily driver, I was looking at a "Ghost install" (what I call them), so basically what I released.....would never work (I know this now)

I waisted alot of time, 16 hours a day trying to polish a turd, waisted time is key word.

This is the issue with Gingerbread......
No Recovery for the CDMA Gingerbread
Same Froyo Bootloaders
Half ass root on the system + unstable or even non working root methods for Gingerbread right now
Sprint Rom with now real source for VZW 3G data, no reference that is.

So, this is EXACTLY what is happeneing right now at this moment, and has been going on for the past few days......

I am building a new Gingerbread kernel and recovery from SOURCE for both CDMA tablets.

I have 23 failed kernels sitting in my trash just from this morning.

I am a new dog learning old tricks in Development for Android, so I am thinking outside the box on alot of things, which is good.

I have help, from a very very respected and ingenious dev from this site.

I am RELENTLESS on this Kernel for us/you/CDMA, working insane hours, pissing off the wife because its 3am and im in the bed with a bright ass laptop.

So, this is what I and Team Android Door (yeah, i joined/started a dev team) are doing at this moment......

We are going to release a Gingerbread kernel for both devices with a working CWM, and I myself am hoping this gets done before the weekend, it is priority #1 for me, everything else is on hold.

Thank you for not kicking me while i am/was down, i am trying very hard.

If someone can donate a sprint tab to me, it would help with me developing and testing on that tab, i dont mind making specific roms for each device, i just need that device.

anyone that might have something for me, shoot me an email oldmacnut@gmail.com

Jim

[/SIZE]

Last edited:

addictivepixels

Dec 4, 2006
Charlotte
Flashing now...
--------------
Edit: Flashed in Heimdall, rebooted, stalled at Samsung logo.
--------------
Edit 2: Flashed stock, booted with no issue. Flashed again with above, same thing, stuck at Samsung logo. Flashed back to stock, awaiting more ROMs/Kernels
--------------

Thanks for all you do for us VZW Tab owners :)
I don't mind bumps in the road - makes the final result all the more exciting!

Last edited:

oldmacnut

Jul 12, 2010
Flashing now...
--------------
Edit: Flashed in Heimdall, rebooted, stalled at Samsung logo.
--------------
Edit 2: Flashed stock, booted with no issue. Flashed again with above, same thing, stuck at Samsung logo. Flashed back to stock, awaiting more ROMs/Kernels
--------------

Thanks for all you do for us VZW Tab owners :)
I don't mind bumps in the road - makes the final result all the more exciting!

Think I forgot to enable ext4 before compiling.
Gonna build an eco2 overclocked tomorrow as soon as I'm done with the gingerbread kernel

Sent from my SCH-I800 using XDA App

pvtjoker42

Dec 12, 2008
I'm betting that if you can get a working Kernel and CWM for GB up and running, it will at least give us Sprint Tab owners a good starting point to see what works what's broken and where we stand.

Rodderik

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
OP jump on irc later today and find me...i started porting cwm to the sprint tab yesterday...maybe we can compare notes and work together...i just got my tab a couple of days ago and honestly i'm not too impressed with the dev scene for this device but i have been maintaining a kernel and working on roms for the Epic for quite a while. i spent all night with a cwm guru trying to work out a couple of bugs... :)

and for anyone else, there is an unofficial galaxy tab (all flavors) irc chat channel:
http://webchat.fossnet.info/?channels=gtab
or for those familiar with irc: irc.fossnet.info #gtab

all are welcome for help or to hang out

Reactions: djf8

pvtjoker42

Dec 12, 2008
OP jump on irc later today and find me...i started porting cwm to the sprint tab yesterday...maybe we can compare notes and work together...i just got my tab a couple of days ago and honestly i'm not too impressed with the dev scene for this device but i have been maintaining a kernel and working on roms for the Epic for quite a while. i spent all night with a cwm guru trying to work out a couple of bugs... :)

and for anyone else, there is an unofficial galaxy tab (all flavors) irc chat channel:

Yay Rodderik! The Tab gets an awesome dev to help jumpstart this process. I'm down for testing anything you want to bounce off another Tab so just let me know (pvt.joker on gmail/g+)

interloper

Feb 17, 2008
El Paso
I'll try to get my laptop set up tonight. I cant stop where i am in this.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using XDA Premium App

oldmacnut

Jul 12, 2010

I wasnt going to say anything till the kernel was complete, but i have to now so others might not waste?? their time? I dont know, but here, this should tell ya......

Code:
============================================
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=2.3.4
TARGET_PRODUCT=cyanogen_galaxytab
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=false
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=GINGERBREAD

Built......from source.

Again, I was not NOT going to say anything about this until the kernel and recovery were done. However......I needed to let you know I have been on this for some time, Rom compiled last night.

NO PROMISES on release date at this moment, it si alot....alot of work many people are putting forth right now. The team is trying to get this out (maybe, hopefully, if all goes well) before my pending arm surgery friday.

AGAIN< NO PROMISES ON THE KERNEL RIGHT NOW.

Jim

Reactions: pvtjoker42

pvtjoker42

Dec 12, 2008
I wasnt going to say anything till the kernel was complete, but i have to now so others might not waste?? their time? I dont know, but here, this should tell ya......

Code:
PLATFORM_VERSION=2.3.4
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=false
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=GINGERBREAD

Built......from source.

Again, I was not NOT going to say anything about this until the kernel and recovery were done. However......I needed to let you know I have been on this for some time, Rom compiled last night.

NO PROMISES on release date at this moment, it si alot....alot of work many people are putting forth right now. The team is trying to get this out (maybe, hopefully, if all goes well) before my pending arm surgery friday.

Jim

That's awesome.. Can't wait for the good news of it working! And again, if you need/want someone to test on a Sprint Tab, let me know!

interloper

Feb 17, 2008
El Paso
Keep at it Jim! Let us worry about the rom. Pvtjoker and I can come up with something then we can let some themer touch it up. Anyone wanna make a splash/boot screen? What are you calling the dev team again?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

pvtjoker42

Dec 12, 2008
If he's compiling CM7 from source, there won't be anything ROM wise for us to do. But we can still work on a stripped down stock rom.

oldmacnut

Jul 12, 2010
Keep at it Jim! Let us worry about the rom. Pvtjoker and I can come up with something then we can let some themer touch it up. Anyone wanna make a splash/boot screen? What are you calling the dev team again?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

If he's compiling CM7 from source, there won't be anything ROM wise for us to do. But we can still work on a stripped down stock rom.

Team Android Door.

Spacemoose and I, and a few others whom honestly, i have not personally talked to yet, my life is so ****ed up right now, with the arms, back, etc, its just been me and dan talking right now.

I tried an ECO2 AOSP build, and it seems samsung likes to keep alot of **** out, so it never had a chance to work, and right now i am physically working on Psirens RC3 at the moment, i am actually getting ready to pull it off the tab and flash it via heimdall on my other tab, if it works as planned, its going up today. it seems alot of bugs have been worked out this time around.

my problem is, i need a PR person to answer posts, update people/etc. Im horrible, horrible at updates, i have always been the guy that just wants to be left in a dark room, left alone to work, let me work, and ill deliver the product, always been like that, even with the Film Editing, problem is i cant get my wife to post for me, so alot of you guys are left out in the dark wondering what i am doing....

Well, this coming Friday the 22nd i am scheduled for a double arm surgery to repair what's left of both joints in both elbows, tendon damage, nerves in both wrists, and muscle damage in both hands. I do not know what recovery is looking like, how long, what i will be able to do, etc. Then, possibly within the next 30 days ill be getting my broken vertebre repaired, 2 nerve bundles moved, and all 5 discs in my back L1-L5 in lower lumbar replaced, i am vert on vert with L3-L4 right now, L1 haemorrhaged, L2 broke, L3 gone, L4 herniated, L5 torn. i assume recovery from that.....might be ****ty. So i am trying to cram out these projects, the half finished ones like Psirens(ECO2), Future Echos(2.3.4), Cassandra(ECO2 w/TouchWiz4), finalise The Android Door Website, finish uploading backups and collected Android Development stuff to the Mirror, and of course maybe organise the mirror and get my mirror thread turned into a sticky.

Im doing all of this while my hands and arms are in tremendous pain, watching my 4 and 2 year old all day, dealing with my back pain, and pissed i cant go back to work to bring more income in.

Yeah, i sound ALLL ****ed up, but im not, i do get a solid 10 hours a day on the computer, if not 16, and on the weekends I usually get close to 20. It sounds worse (well, i have never fully explained what i am going through with my arms/back for a good reason) than what it is, i do get plenty of development time believe it or not.

So, that, was it, the solid truth on why some stuff seems abandoned, why i may not reply to peoples PM's or emails, or gTalk chats. Im fairly busy trying to learn the advanced things with Android, oh, get this.....lol, I sooo knew this would happen.....

So Dan is helping me, training if you will, and i am picking this up fast right, super fast, crazy theories, ideas, ports, attemopts, just crazy stuff.
So I am nagging him for what...2 weeks on building a kernel, so we do the ECO2 kernel step by step, and it doesn't work, but a week goes by right, i mean im nagging him like my daughter nags me, cause I WANT to get a Gingerbread kernel out to the masses with EXT4 and Recovery, I know this is something the CDMA tabs NEED, and I want to do this BEFORE big red releases GB for us VZW peeps.
So finally we get phone time and im downloading even more Internet (my Android Development hard drive is 1TB) and i get ancy as I dont think I am getting to soak this information up fast enough right.....so I say "screw this i cant wait" i decide to compile a custom kernel for my Ubuntu rig i use for Dev and daily use, I compiled an Intel Core i7 only kernel, managed to up the CPU freq from 100mhz to 1000mhz, tweak it just a tiny bit more, and the damn thing worked the moment i rebooted.
So now I am really nagging, trying to read more and more on trully customising a kernel for 2.3.4, so it is coming, one of probably many, and I will release a DJ11 and ECO2 set of kernels i am sure. I loved the kernel work, and probably will turn into the kernel nut job.

So, there you have it, a real update into the life, workings, mental incapacitation of good old Jim .

So, if someone really does need to reach me, best bet is to text my tab 903-647-0096, however I am not sure how fast i can respond, especially today as i am working on Psirens RC3 on my daily driver right now.

So, for now..........Im going back to work.

Jim

Attachments

• armbrace.jpg
    armbrace.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 136

pvtjoker42

Dec 12, 2008
Jim..
Thanks soo much for your work.. Sorry for your pain, hopefully your surgery will relieve the pain and you'll have a quick recovery. In the mean time, if there's anything you need help with I'm normally around.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Massive update 7-19-2011

Ok, still going to retain the "Better Than Life-Future Echo's", however I need to give everyone a big fat update as to what the holdup is, and details as to what has been going on.

1. Yes, I can install the rom and kernel released in the other thread just like anyone else.

2. Yes, i did a quicky rom and released it, and basically fell on my face.

3. tried 8 ways to sunday to fix my apparent screw up with the members here regarding that disaster i released.

here is what happened.......

I did my rom mods, and attempted a recovery with the Sprint GB, and while "something" worked on my dev tab, I failed to do a test install on my daily driver, I was looking at a "Ghost install" (what I call them), so basically what I released.....would never work (I know this now)

I waisted alot of time, 16 hours a day trying to polish a turd, waisted time is key word.

This is the issue with Gingerbread......
    No Recovery for the CDMA Gingerbread
    Same Froyo Bootloaders
    Half ass root on the system + unstable or even non working root methods for Gingerbread right now
    Sprint Rom with now real source for VZW 3G data, no reference that is.

So, this is EXACTLY what is happeneing right now at this moment, and has been going on for the past few days......

I am building a new Gingerbread kernel and recovery from SOURCE for both CDMA tablets.

I have 23 failed kernels sitting in my trash just from this morning.

I am a new dog learning old tricks in Development for Android, so I am thinking outside the box on alot of things, which is good.

I have help, from a very very respected and ingenious dev from this site.

I am RELENTLESS on this Kernel for us/you/CDMA, working insane hours, pissing off the wife because its 3am and im in the bed with a bright ass laptop.

So, this is what I and Team Android Door (yeah, i joined/started a dev team) are doing at this moment......

We are going to release a Gingerbread kernel for both devices with a working CWM, and I myself am hoping this gets done before the weekend, it is priority #1 for me, everything else is on hold.

Thank you for not kicking me while i am/was down, i am trying very hard.

If someone can donate a sprint tab to me, it would help with me developing and testing on that tab, i dont mind making specific roms for each device, i just need that device.

anyone that might have something for me, shoot me an email oldmacnut@gmail.com

Jim

[/SIZE]

Code:
    PLATFORM_VERSION=2.3.4
    TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
    TARGET_SIMULATOR=false
    TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
    TARGET_ARCH=arm
    HOST_ARCH=x86
    HOST_OS=linux
    HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
    BUILD_ID=GINGERBREAD

Built......from source.

Jim