Cerberus In ROM Manager why???

Search This thread

NexusCrazy

Feb 16, 2011
Blackpool
Not been on the forums or even had time to flash any ROM's for a few weeks but tonight I've got a couple of hours free, so just been looking through ROM Manager and came across Cerberus, I thought it was a new ROM at first so I took a look. Only to find out it's an APP not a ROM (weird really).

I was just wondering if anyone had tried it or know anything about it and does it really deserve a place in ROM Manager when its not even a ROM, even if it the best thing since sliced bread I'd still expect it to be in extras anyway.

Sorry If this has been discussed but like I've said Ive had no time so am a little out of touch :confused:

Thanks

tehgeekguy

Apr 9, 2010
Never heard of it before but I found out about it just like you did. From what I can tell it's the same as the marketplace app - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus&hl=en

I will admit I haven't tried either version (ROM manager version or marketplace), but it seems to have decent reviews. I agree though, it seems weird in ROM manager under the normal ROM listing... I expected it to be under Extras too.

NexusCrazy

Feb 16, 2011
Blackpool
UPDATE***

Flashed it through CWM although it can be downloaded from the market as pointed out.

What an amazing piece of kit. you get a weeks free trial but I paid 2.60 or there about.

I can't explain how good it is, if you have ever been concerned about loosing misplacing or having your Nexus slolen, then this most definately for you.

If you buy the full version you can add up to 5 phones.

It enables you to track, wipe take a picture, request call or sms log display a message sound an alarm even record live for up to 5 mins at a time, ether by loging on to there ste online or by sending a text message to your phone.

By far the best security app I've ever seen.

Check it out, its free for a week and if you don't buy it there must be something wrong with you.

And honestly I'm not assosiated with the app or its developers, just know a great app when I see one :D

https://www.cerberusapp.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: D5S

ajejee

Mar 13, 2009
Hi, I'm Cerberus main developer.

First of all, if you have any questions on Cerberus feel free to ask!

Then, regarding the inclusion in ROM Manager, I'd like to explain how and why it happened.
Cerberus has additional features if you integrate it into the rom. It cannot be uninstalled (I mean, it can only be deleted by flashing a new rom or using adb/terminal emulator, but I don't think a lot of thieves know how to do that), and GPS is automatically enabled when you send a "Start tracking" command. So on the website there is a flashable zip for easy installation in /system/app.
A user, who also maintains the ROM Manager repository, told me if I wanted to publish it there too, so integration into the rom would be even easier. Of course I said "Sure, that'd be great" :)

Now I don't know if there's a specific category into ROM Manager that is fit for Cerberus or whatever, if someone more expert than me wants to write his opinion I'd like to read it.

P.S. If you installed version 1.9beta, there are some nice new features that you can't see yet in the "official" dashboard. More info here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jmPnjs07y7rs9tdsMEzwUTQtV2ncjsYcVsPUbBtZAXM/edit?hl=en_US

drmacinyasha

Jun 4, 2010
Sacramento
denh.am
So to expand on what ajejee said above:

Previously, Cerberus could only be installed either as a regular app with the "Device Administrator" permissions like any other security app, and the associated flaws (like not being able to turn on GPS on 2.3.3+), or by downloading a separate APK off the website and running it on your phone, which would copy the APK to the system partition.

Long story short, putting Cerberus in ROM Manager is a way to make it easier for users to install Cerberus to /system, since most competent root users have ClockworkMod Recovery and at least know of ROM Manager. While yes, it is "odd" for an app to be in the ROM listing, it's not the only non-ROM in there. I also have radio images for the HTC EVO 4G listed as well.

In regards to placing it in "Extras": Yes, that's a nice idea, but with the way RM's manifests work, it's not really feasible. The "Extras" isn't a separate category, but just another manifest that was hosted on Koush's GitHub, and was only being used by Superuser. This means that any time Superuser had an update, or Cerberus would have an update, the developers would have to send a pull request to Koush, and someone would have to merge it in.

I say was, because Superuser and Cerberus both now have their own separate manifests (meaning no more Extras link), and show up as "ROMs" in the Download ROM menu. I've talked to Koush about making a separate "Download App" menu, but the problem with that is that the Market's ToS prevent having an app that just downloads other apps.

tl;dr, this is so Cerberus can be protected against factory resets, apps can kinda-sorta go in the Download ROM menu, and ROM Manager can't have a separate Download App menu.

Reactions: ajejee

ajejee

Mar 13, 2009
Well, you translated the app into Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian so you earned a couple free licenses :)

There are not many languages left to localize Cerberus into: Korean, Finnish, Arabic, Farsi, Indonesian and Thai.

So if anyone wants to help with some of these translations please let us know!

Awesome app and there are even way to get it for free !

edgarzin

Dec 3, 2010
I rooted my LG G2 and I want to install Cerberus in the system, but im new to this, i didnt understand the instructions at their website. Can anybody help me with this?:good:

mikimite

Apr 23, 2013
Thanks

This app is awesome,

my girlfriend's phone (nexus 5) has been stolen twice and i have found it twice! The first time i found it with the front camera photo feature when you fail your password and that person did herself a nice selfie. 10 minuts later y found her and got the phone back. The second time the thief turned it off when she just found it, this time i only could wait her to put her sim in the phone...and it happened, the phone send me her phone number and i found a lot of information (photos,adresses, student,career,year....) called her and again got it back.

But i don't understand one thing, i had bootloader locked and adb not enabled. Even with password for the phone the girl managed to install a different factory image (killing cerberus forever) and i don't know how she did it, i though the phone was completely locked. Anyway i was lucky because she put his card in to the phone before doing that but i'm still confused about that. I'll try to fix that security hole somehow.

Finally i want to thank the developer for make this app, with 3€ my girlfriend saved 700 and who nows in the future maybe more.

ohall74

Oct 4, 2014
Cerberus on rom

Not been on the forums or even had time to flash any ROM's for a few weeks but tonight I've got a couple of hours free, so just been looking through ROM Manager and came across Cerberus, I thought it was a new ROM at first so I took a look. Only to find out it's an APP not a ROM (weird really).

I was just wondering if anyone had tried it or know anything about it and does it really deserve a place in ROM Manager when its not even a ROM, even if it the best thing since sliced bread I'd still expect it to be in extras anyway.

Sorry If this has been discussed but like I've said Ive had no time so am a little out of touch :confused:

Thanks

Hello, I got this email from Cerbus asking the question would Cerberus survive a hard rest?

Only if you integrate Cerberus into the ROM of the device.

--
Chiara
Cerberus support

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I'm Cerberus main developer.

First of all, if you have any questions on Cerberus feel free to ask!

Then, regarding the inclusion in ROM Manager, I'd like to explain how and why it happened.
    Cerberus has additional features if you integrate it into the rom. It cannot be uninstalled (I mean, it can only be deleted by flashing a new rom or using adb/terminal emulator, but I don't think a lot of thieves know how to do that), and GPS is automatically enabled when you send a "Start tracking" command. So on the website there is a flashable zip for easy installation in /system/app.
    A user, who also maintains the ROM Manager repository, told me if I wanted to publish it there too, so integration into the rom would be even easier. Of course I said "Sure, that'd be great" :)

Now I don't know if there's a specific category into ROM Manager that is fit for Cerberus or whatever, if someone more expert than me wants to write his opinion I'd like to read it.

P.S. If you installed version 1.9beta, there are some nice new features that you can't see yet in the "official" dashboard. More info here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jmPnjs07y7rs9tdsMEzwUTQtV2ncjsYcVsPUbBtZAXM/edit?hl=en_US
    UPDATE***

Flashed it through CWM although it can be downloaded from the market as pointed out.

What an amazing piece of kit. you get a weeks free trial but I paid 2.60 or there about.

I can't explain how good it is, if you have ever been concerned about loosing misplacing or having your Nexus slolen, then this most definately for you.

If you buy the full version you can add up to 5 phones.

It enables you to track, wipe take a picture, request call or sms log display a message sound an alarm even record live for up to 5 mins at a time, ether by loging on to there ste online or by sending a text message to your phone.

By far the best security app I've ever seen.

Check it out, its free for a week and if you don't buy it there must be something wrong with you.

And honestly I'm not assosiated with the app or its developers, just know a great app when I see one :D

https://www.cerberusapp.com/
    It is the best app i have ever downloaded.

EDIT: Wow I just read all the comments in ROM Manager and I want to punch so many people.
    So to expand on what ajejee said above:

Previously, Cerberus could only be installed either as a regular app with the "Device Administrator" permissions like any other security app, and the associated flaws (like not being able to turn on GPS on 2.3.3+), or by downloading a separate APK off the website and running it on your phone, which would copy the APK to the system partition.

Long story short, putting Cerberus in ROM Manager is a way to make it easier for users to install Cerberus to /system, since most competent root users have ClockworkMod Recovery and at least know of ROM Manager. While yes, it is "odd" for an app to be in the ROM listing, it's not the only non-ROM in there. I also have radio images for the HTC EVO 4G listed as well.

In regards to placing it in "Extras": Yes, that's a nice idea, but with the way RM's manifests work, it's not really feasible. The "Extras" isn't a separate category, but just another manifest that was hosted on Koush's GitHub, and was only being used by Superuser. This means that any time Superuser had an update, or Cerberus would have an update, the developers would have to send a pull request to Koush, and someone would have to merge it in.

I say was, because Superuser and Cerberus both now have their own separate manifests (meaning no more Extras link), and show up as "ROMs" in the Download ROM menu. I've talked to Koush about making a separate "Download App" menu, but the problem with that is that the Market's ToS prevent having an app that just downloads other apps.

tl;dr, this is so Cerberus can be protected against factory resets, apps can kinda-sorta go in the Download ROM menu, and ROM Manager can't have a separate Download App menu.