[Q] Bluetooth Tethering

Search This thread

rjpearce

Jul 22, 2008
Hi folks,

Has anyone had much luck with tethering an Internet connection using bluetooth (not wifi)

I've tried tethering from my HTC Desire HD (ICS 4.0.4) to my Archos 101 G9 (ICS 4.0.4), after pairing I can get the tablet to connect and use the Internet connection, but after a minute the bluetooth connection drops out.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

I've found a few threads on the Asus Transformer section with a very similar issue but they seems to have been fixed by a recent firmware update from Asus.

djdoc1975

Oct 26, 2010
I've gotten it to work using foxfi on my galaxy nexus and pdanet tablet on the g9

I got it to work once using pdanet tablet and foxfi. I can't get it to work anymore though.

At OP make sure you have tun.ko installed on your tablet so Bluetooth tether may work.

Sent from my X10i using M&M's MIUI v2.0 + tapatalk :-D

Djirin

Apr 22, 2012
I have a 101 G9 Turbo 8GB version I bought off Sellout.Woot back in March. I installed a rom off XDA but I don't remember which one! It was one of the 3.2.80 versions though. After some trial and error I have been able to tether my tablet to my Nokia E71 through bluetooth DUN using the command line. It isn't the easiest to do but its usable.

magahacka

Dec 10, 2011
it works good when tethering from Asus transformer to my archos g9 101 but the speed isnt the best.

rjpearce

Jul 22, 2008
I got it to work once using pdanet tablet and foxfi. I can't get it to work anymore though.

At OP make sure you have tun.ko installed on your tablet so Bluetooth tether may work.

Sent from my X10i using M&M's MIUI v2.0 + tapatalk :-D

When you got it working were you using Gingerbread or ICS? :)

Thanks
-Richard

rokkywoof

Jan 28, 2009
Works for me!

It works outstandingly for me:
Phone: Verizon XV6900 (aka HTC Touch - CDMA EVDO rev A, no wifi), WinMo 6.1 running Internet Sharing utility.

Archos 80, "Staples Special" (1 Ghz/512 MB RAM/7 GB storage - listed as 4GB, go figure), ICS, FW 4.0.6

How I did it:
1. BT pair the phone and tablet (duh ;-)
2. Make sure they are connected - tap the phone device name in the Android BT settings list so it shows connected
3. Start ICS ("Internet Connection Sharing" - they had that acronym long before any Google Android existed ;-) on the WinMo phone, tap its "Connect" soft key.
4. Android settings: "More.../Tethering & portable hotspot/Bluetooth tethering" check marked (yeah, I thought that meant the Archos would share its connection - dunno about that, but it is working in the opposite direction for me - go figure).

I streamed a TunedIn radio stream for several hours this way at a hotel recently (good thing I have the "unlimited" data plan grandfathered, but looks like I only used about 20MB, picking 40Kbps stream).

YMMV

Last edited:

nashi20002003

Mar 7, 2010
It works outstandingly for me:

3. Start ICS ("Internet Connection Sharing" - they had that acronym long before any Google Android existed ;-) on the WinMo phone, tap its "Connect" soft key.
4. Android settings: "More.../Tethering & portable hotspot/Bluetooth tethering" check marked (yeah, I thought that meant the Archos would share its connection - dunno about that, but it is working in the opposite direction for me - go figure).

It does work because the two bluetooth device are connected and if the second support being used as a modem...it will default into that Internet Sharing profile.

I don't think your step 3 & 4 is necessery. I've used Archos 80 with Nokia C3 and other Android Tablets. It seems to more work with Bluetooth 3.0 devices.

Instead of 3 & 4 above ...you should go to Bluetooth, find the paired and connected device and click on the Setting icon....you will see a check box there which checked by default "Use this to connect to the internet"

mrmartischmi

Apr 30, 2010
Gießen
I dont get the Blutooth tethering to work...

HTC HD Mini (WinMo 6.5) and G9 101 1,5GHz 8GB (ICS 4.0.7 Stock)

Pairing is no problem.
But starting ICS it tells me that a NAP network is required and the G9 does not support that...

I did exactly like rokkywoof described, but :-(

Does anybody have it running with that combination (WinMo 6.5 and G9 ICS 407)?

Thanks,
Marti

rokkywoof

Jan 28, 2009
It does work because the two bluetooth device are connected and if the second support being used as a modem...it will default into that Internet Sharing profile.

I don't think your step 3 & 4 is necessery. I've used Archos 80 with Nokia C3 and other Android Tablets. It seems to more work with Bluetooth 3.0 devices.

Instead of 3 & 4 above ...you should go to Bluetooth, find the paired and connected device and click on the Setting icon....you will see a check box there which checked by default "Use this to connect to the internet"

Cool - you are correct that step 4 is not needed (probably explains why I was so surprised by my "misunderstanding" of the Archos' tethering setting - no misunderstanding at all since, instead, that BT setting you point out is what must be setting the Archos to tether off a device such as my phone).

However, step 3, on my XV6900 phone at least, is most definitely needed. Unless the phone is running that ICS app, it has no way to share its data network connection for Internet access - it will not run it automatically. Good thing, too, or it would run the battery down in no time.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

I dont get the Blutooth tethering to work...

HTC HD Mini (WinMo 6.5) and G9 101 1,5GHz 8GB (ICS 4.0.7 Stock)

Pairing is no problem.
But starting ICS it tells me that a NAP network is required and the G9 does not support that...

I did exactly like rokkywoof described, but :-(

Does anybody have it running with that combination (WinMo 6.5 and G9 ICS 407)?

Thanks,
Marti

If my acronym lookup is correct, "NAP" means Network Access Point, and that should be what your phone connects to in order to share that connection with the Archos (tethering). The G9 really should not "care" how your phone connects to a data network, or did the G9 throw that message? If so, that would seem to indicate the G9 is trying to share a mobile data connection it does not have (assuming no 3G USB device plugged into the USB port on the back of the G9), so maybe you need to unset the Archos tethering setting that my step 4 specifies, as
nashi20002003 pointed out in correcting my instructions. I have found now that I only need to go as far as step 3 (contrary to nashi20002003's other "correction" - I have to respectfully disagree with that part in that I must manually run ICS on the phone ;) ).

Have you ever had the ICS (assuming you meant WinMo Internet Connection Sharing, as I did - not Android version, Ice Cream Sandwich) utility to work for any other device? Do you get data connections (web, email, etc) now with the phone when using it by itself?

Back to the phone setting, my ICS window shows 2 dropdown text boxes. One is "PC Connection" with choices of USB or Bluetooth PAN, the latter being what I use with the Archos. The other dropdown box is "Network Connection", and my only choice is "Data Network Connect", which is my Verizon 3G connection.

I would guess your phone has some variant of GSM technology such as my T-Mobile Dell Streak 5. It has an Access Point specified (epc.tmobile.com) under its Android Settings/Wireless & network settings/Mobile networks/Access Point Names. I would think that is what your NAP refers to, and it needs to be set and active for a data connection for your phone to share. Maybe your ICS setup needs a configuration item set for that which is equivalent to my "Data Network Connect" mentioned in the preceding paragraph? ICS has a path to those settings in its menu on the bottom right via the "Connection Settings" option, but that is too complex for me to step through right now - especially since I have not touched it for a couple years (thinking it "just worked" as installed, and likely I never "touched" it) :eek: .

HTH - share more info, and ask any further questions you might have to see if we can work through this.

mrmartischmi

Apr 30, 2010
Gießen
@rokkywoof:
sorry for the delay, I was on a short trip this weekend :)
Thanks a lot for your reply and your help.

I could not get the g9 to use the internet connection of my phone via bluetooth.

I am using the internet with my phone (3g connection) with no problem.
I never used the InternetConnectionUtility on my phone with another device.
I can pair my phone with the g9 via bluetooth.
My ICS setting on the phone shows the same 2 dropdown boxes and under "PC-Connection" I choose "Bluetooth PAN" as you do and under "Network connection" I choose "Internet GPRS" (thats my normal internet connection, I assume). I click connect (bottom left) and the phone then tells me that it cant connect to a NAP network.

I think I have to tell the phone Bluetooth that it should provide something like a "Modem-Profile" and the g9 that it has to use the paired phone as the internet-connection. But I am not able to find these two items anywhere...

I already looked through Bluetooth settings (bottom right in ICS onPhone) but was not successful in finding any valuable items or settings.

If you have any further ideas I would very much appreciate your help!

Thanks so far,
Marti

samhande

Aug 12, 2011
Bend, Oregon
www.scsbend.com
Staples Special Specs.

Archos 80, "Staples Special" (1 Ghz/512 MB RAM/7 GB storage - listed as 4GB, go figure), ICS

A further "Go Figure" on the Staples Special is that the CPU is actually 1.2 Ghz. Go figure. Finally go weigh it. Spec says 475g, actual 525g. I think they added a metal plate to the back to stop your finger from causing the swirlies. I also believe that TI recently quit making OMAP 4430 in 1 Ghz, but my guess is the literature was already produced. Maybe they stopped making 4 GB storage too!

rokkywoof

Jan 28, 2009
@rokkywoof:
sorry for the delay, I was on a short trip this weekend :)
Thanks a lot for your reply and your help.

I could not get the g9 to use the internet connection of my phone via bluetooth.

I am using the internet with my phone (3g connection) with no problem.
I never used the InternetConnectionUtility on my phone with another device.
I can pair my phone with the g9 via bluetooth.
My ICS setting on the phone shows the same 2 dropdown boxes and under "PC-Connection" I choose "Bluetooth PAN" as you do and under "Network connection" I choose "Internet GPRS" (thats my normal internet connection, I assume). I click connect (bottom left) and the phone then tells me that it cant connect to a NAP network.

I think I have to tell the phone Bluetooth that it should provide something like a "Modem-Profile" and the g9 that it has to use the paired phone as the internet-connection. But I am not able to find these two items anywhere...

I already looked through Bluetooth settings (bottom right in ICS onPhone) but was not successful in finding any valuable items or settings.

If you have any further ideas I would very much appreciate your help!

Thanks so far,
Marti

At this point, all I can suggest is focus on getting your phone's ICS to work. Are there any other settings for Network Connection than "Internet GPRS"? If so, you might want to try them to see if that gets any better results (or at least informative messages that might provide any useful clues).

Do you (or a willing friend) have any other devices with Bluetooth that can network via PAN? If so, see what results you get with them.

As for the G9 settings, when I go to the Bluetooth settings, the phone, in my list of paired devices, has a settings button (the same 3 horizontal lines with "blips" on them as used for the main overall Archos settings button image, only smaller), and when I tap that, it shows a "Profiles" section with option for "internet access" that takes a check mark to activate - do you see that on your G9? Even so, if the phone is throwing that NAP error, I doubt that will make any difference, but at least see if it is available.

BTW, I updated to the 4.0.7 "firmware", so that makes no difference on my G9 80.

HTH,
R

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

A further "Go Figure" on the Staples Special is that the CPU is actually 1.2 Ghz. Go figure. Finally go weigh it. Spec says 475g, actual 525g. I think they added a metal plate to the back to stop your finger from causing the swirlies. I also believe that TI recently quit making OMAP 4430 in 1 Ghz, but my guess is the literature was already produced. Maybe they stopped making 4 GB storage too!

Ah - Staples not catching up with all of the Archos updates might explain some, but not all, of the discrepancies.

The current Staples description only states "OMAP 4 ARM CORTEXTM dual-core A9" without specifying which TI processor. My tablet's info shows 4460, but not speed, and Archos' site specs for the 80 state still state 1Ghz, and, for the TURBO, "from 1.2GHz to 1.5GHz (at start of 2012)". Did you actually measure the speed with some utility?

I just weighed mine on a food scale, and it is just under 470 grams, so about the 465 that Archos specifies for this model, and a lot less than the 1.4 pounds (635g) the Staples listing has. No plate in mine? Not seeing the screen "warp" issues.

Also, Staples specifies 8.9" sceen, but my measurement is about 7.9" (which makes sense as the visible part of an 8" inch screen as specified on the Archos site, and what this model is listed at "everywhere".

Lesson: don't take Staples' specs at face value!

Was there ever a 4GB internal storage variant?

Last edited:

nashi20002003

Mar 7, 2010
Yes. Sorry for oversight. I only meant to say what I said for step 4. Step 3 is phone dependent. I had to do that on my old windows phone and the old 5IT. With g9 with Motorola zoom and nokia c3 I did not have to do anything else. Cheers!

mrmartischmi

Apr 30, 2010
Gießen
At this point, all I can suggest is focus on getting your phone's ICS to work. Are there any other settings for Network Connection than "Internet GPRS"? If so, you might want to try them to see if that gets any better results (or at least informative messages that might provide any useful clues).

Do you (or a willing friend) have any other devices with Bluetooth that can network via PAN? If so, see what results you get with them.

As for the G9 settings, when I go to the Bluetooth settings, the phone, in my list of paired devices, has a settings button (the same 3 horizontal lines with "blips" on them as used for the main overall Archos settings button image, only smaller), and when I tap that, it shows a "Profiles" section with option for "internet access" that takes a check mark to activate - do you see that on your G9? Even so, if the phone is throwing that NAP error, I doubt that will make any difference, but at least see if it is available.

BTW, I updated to the 4.0.7 "firmware", so that makes no difference on my G9 80.

HTH,
R

Hmmmm.... my Phones ICS works like a charm as the Internet-Access for a DELL-Notebook via Bluetooth. I paired the devices, started ICS on the phone and told the notebook to use this connection for network access.
That is what I am missing on the g9: I have the settings button for my phone on the g9 bluetooth menu as well as you have it. But when I click it, I only have 2 items to choose:
1. Rename the paired device name (thats my phone)
2. Unpair devices
A "profile" item does not exist :-(
(I do not know the exact notation because I use a german g9)

BTW, I am on 4.0.7 firmware as well...

Thanks again for your time in helping me out,
Marti

rokkywoof

Jan 28, 2009
Hmmmm.... my Phones ICS works like a charm as the Internet-Access for a DELL-Notebook via Bluetooth. I paired the devices, started ICS on the phone and told the notebook to use this connection for network access.
That is what I am missing on the g9: I have the settings button for my phone on the g9 bluetooth menu as well as you have it. But when I click it, I only have 2 items to choose:
2. Unpair devices

Marti

Ah - so the phone is proven to work with ICS - good data point.
That, along with the facts that ICS is throwing the missing NAP message, and the G9 not showing an Internet connection option for the pairing with the phone, suggest the possibility that the pairing went the "wrong way" - i.e., the phone is looking to the G9 for services instead of the other way around.

Try this:
1. Unpair the devices.
2. Start ICS on the phone. See if it will "connect" - if not, ok.
3. Make the phone BT visible.
4. Initiate pairing from the G9.
5. Now see if the G9 has an internet connection option for the phone BT.
If not, I am totally stumped.
If so, try it (start ICS connection if it would not start in step 2)!

Good luck!

HTH

Last edited:

nashi20002003

Mar 7, 2010
2. Unpair devices

Marti

Sorry to say a lot of phones are not working with this bluetooth tethering built into HOneycomb and ICS. You will need to use Android Pdanet for tablet in combination with it's associate phone app. Unfortunately that's only available on Android. Not Symbian or Windows. Even the Nokia phones which worked fine with the Archos Bluetooth Tethering App on Gen8, are not working with the ICS Builtin version. For a while I had thought Archos did not include this option until one day I noticed I can pair my tablet with a Motorolla Zoom. Then I a couple of phones I knew worked with BT Tethering in Gen8 and they did not work with my G9 tablet. But I tried Nokia C2 and it worked. I looke into finding what profile was needed on the phone side beside DUN or PAN...but I did not find what mande the difference between the Nokia C2 and Nokia E71. E71 worked fine with Archos BT Tethering on Gen 8. So did Nokia 5230 Nuron. But both would not work with G9. The only I've come up with is the BT version of the phone. Both C2 and Zoom have BT 3.0 Tried my Samsung Exhibit II but it would not work. Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4G and HTC Amaze 4G and they work.
I think old phones with BT version less than 2.1 won't work. Not sure why.
you can follow some of the discussions I've had with another Archos member here
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=64440
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=57219&hilit=+Tethering

Djirin

Apr 22, 2012
I have an old Nokia E71 myself and the rooted 4.0.6 firmware on my 101g9 tablet. In the bluetooth options on the tablet for my phone all I get are the options to rename or unpair the phone. No other options at all.

I know the E71 has the DUN profile in it. I CAN successfully use the dun profile but I have to use the command line to do it all. BUT you have to have rooted your tablet as you wont be able to use some of the commands otherwise.

You have to bind the channel the phone is using for DUN (switches between 2 and 4 oddly enough on my phone) to /dev/rfcomm then start ppp manually from the command line.

Some programs will NOT recognize the active ppp connection as a valid internet connection. The standard browser will work just fine though. I use Opera Mini for browsing to help keep my data usage down while using the tethering.