[Q] AT&T HTC one rooting, conversion neeeded?

Search This thread

Wonderboy1

Sep 28, 2010
so I have an AT&T HTC one,
because i saw a thread about CONVERTING it to EU version, and i was wondering why and if i must do it in order to root.
so basically:
1. is the rooting on the AT&T HTC one done differently from any other HTC one?
2. if not, do i still have to go through this conversion guide or can i just root it normally?
3. once rooted, can I install any international ROM? (ive read it on the FAQ in this forum, but didnt understand properly)
2. how can i install a stock, clean ROM without all the AT&T rubbish, and have the OTA updates like on any other normal android?

thanks

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
so I have an AT&T HTC one,
because i saw a thread about CONVERTING it to EU version, and i was wondering why and if i must do it in order to root.
so basically:
1. is the rooting on the AT&T HTC one done differently from any other HTC one?
2. if not, do i still have to go through this conversion guide or can i just root it normally?
3. once rooted, can I install any international ROM? (ive read it on the FAQ in this forum, but didnt understand properly)
2. how can i install a stock, clean ROM without all the AT&T rubbish, and have the OTA updates like on any other normal android?

thanks

1. no proceed with these 2 tutorials
  2. no you don't need to convert to EU version to root
  3. Yes is your phone says M7_UL or M7_U in bootloader, you can flash any international rom
  4. By doing the conversion to an international version or developers edition (require root then s-off)

Wonderboy1

Sep 28, 2010
  1. no proceed with these 2 tutorials
  2. no you don't need to convert to EU version to root
  3. Yes is your phone says M7_UL or M7_U in bootloader, you can flash any international rom
  4. By doing the conversion to an international version or developers edition (require root then s-off)

so this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356401
is not needed for me to root and install any international ROM (cyanogen for instance)?
fJ4uBX0.jpg

btw is there a tutorial for installing a stock SENSE ROM?

Last edited:

alray

May 22, 2012
so this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356401
is not needed for me to root and install any international ROM (cyanogen for instance)?

btw is there a tutorial for installing a stock SENSE ROM?

You don't need to root to install a custom rom i.e. cyanogen(almost all custom rom comes pre-rooted)

But to flash a custom rom you need to unlock your bootloader and install a custom recovery. Both these step detailed in video tutorials linked in my previous post.

Last edited:

Wonderboy1

Sep 28, 2010
You don't need to root to install a custom rom (almost all custom rom comes pre-rooted)

But to flash a custom rom you need to unlock your bootloader and install a custom recovery. Both these step detailed in video tutorials linked in my previous post.

thanks alot, so the conversion tutorial is irrelevant in this case?
still wondering though how to install a STOCK ROM, with which I'll receive OTA updates...

alray

May 22, 2012
thanks alot, so the conversion tutorial is irrelevant in this case?
still wondering though how to install a STOCK ROM, with which I'll receive OTA updates...

you mean how to go back to stock after you installed a custom rom like cyanogen and receive ota? Or you mean how to install stock unbranded rom with ota?

alray

May 22, 2012
the latter,
and, according to the picture I attached, Im able to install and international ROM right?

According to the picture, you can flash custom rom that are intended for international phone (M7_UL and M7_U) not stock rom

stock rom require that CID # and MID # match to be installed and to update ota.

so if your goal is to have a stock device but unbranded from at&t, yes the conversion guide apply.

As cIsA said, and as I did with my phone, I converted to Dev edition rom which is a stock rom that receive ota first before all other. So you might want to consider this option istead of converting to a EU version.

Would be easier to say if you copy/paste the output of this commande except imei and sn

Code:
fastboot getvar all

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

the latter,
and, according to the picture I attached, Im able to install and international ROM right?

and please link me the toturial you are referring to

Reactions: Wonderboy1

Wonderboy1

Sep 28, 2010
According to the picture, you can flash custom rom that are intended for international phone (M7_UL and M7_U) not stock rom

so if your goal is to have a stock device but unbranded from at&t, yes the conversion guide apply.

As cIsA said, and as I did with my phone, I converted to Dev edition rom which is a stock rom that receive ota first before all other. So you might want to consider this option istead of converting to a EU version.

Would be easier to say if you copy/paste the output of this commande except imei and sn

Code:
fastboot getvar all

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

so, in order to flash the Dev edition i dont need to do the conversion thing right? just install a custom recovery and flash this ROM?
and i didnt understand the part if the command line code, where do i copy/paste it

alray

May 22, 2012
so, in order to flash the Dev edition i dont need to do the conversion thing right? just install a custom recovery and flash this ROM?

NO!

You can't flash stock rom (dev edition) unless you do the conversion thing (unlock bootloader, root, s-off, change mid (if required), change cid)

With only an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery, you can flash custom rom mean not stock like cyanogen, arhd, viperone etc...
and i didnt understand the part if the command line code, where do i copy/paste it

you need adb/fastboot + your drivers properly set in your computer. with phone in fastboot usb mode and connected to your computer open a cmd prompt and write ''fastboot getvar all'' then copy/paste result here so I can see.

If you don't know what adb/fastboot is, you are not ready to start change thing in your phone and you should go read about this matter.

Last edited:

Wonderboy1

Sep 28, 2010
NO!

You can't flash stock rom (dev edition) unless you do the conversion thing (unlock bootloader, root, s-off, change mid (if required), change cid)

With only an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery, you can flash custom rom mean not stock like cyanogen, arhd, viperone etc...

you need adb/fastboot + your drivers properly set in your computer. with phone in fastboot usb mode and connected to your computer open a cmd prompt and write ''fastboot getvar all'' then copy/paste result here so I can see.

If you don't know what adb/fastboot is, you are not ready to start change thing in your phone and you should go read about this matter.

Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >

getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.039s

is there a tuturial for all of this? (unlock bootloader, root, s-off, change mid (if required), change cid)

Last edited:

alray

May 22, 2012
Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: [COLOR="DarkOrange"]1.44[/COLOR].0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.26.502.12
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP [COLOR="DarkOrange"]S-ON[/COLOR]
(bootloader) serialno: [B][COLOR="Red"]please delete![/COLOR][/B]
(bootloader) imei: [COLOR="red"][B]please delete![/B][/COLOR]
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) [COLOR="DarkOrange"]m[/COLOR]odel[COLOR="DarkOrange"]id: PN0712000[/COLOR]
(bootloader) [COLOR="DarkOrange"]cid[/COLOR]num: [COLOR="DarkOrange"]CWS__001[/COLOR]
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4057mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.039s

is there a tuturial for all of this? (unlock bootloader, root, s-off, change mid (if required), change cid)

What you need to do in order (click to links for tutorials):

1. unlock bootloader using htcdev.com
  2. install a custom recovery (i'll suggest you go with TWRP 2.6.3.3)
  3. ROOT your phone
  4. s-off your phone with revone tool (for 1.44 hboot)
  5. change cid to BS__US01 (note there is 2 underscore)
    Code:
    fastboot oem writecid BS__US01
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
  6. no need to change MID (PN071200 is good for dev edition)
  7. download and run the dev edition ruu.exe

Last edited:

Wonderboy1

Sep 28, 2010
What you need to do in order (click to links for tutorials):

1. unlock bootloader using htcdev.com
  2. install a custom recovery (i'll suggest you go with TWRP 2.6.3.3)
  3. ROOT your phone
  4. s-off your phone with revone tool (for 1.44 hboot)
  5. change cid to BS__US01 (note there is 2 underscore)
    Code:
    fastboot oem writecid BS__US01
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
  6. no need to change MID (PN071200 is good for dev edition)
  7. download and run the dev edition ruu.exe

thanks alot, got it to work eventually ! (though the brightstar link you gave was not compatible with my phone for some reason)
appreciate your help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the latter,

Code:
    fastboot getvar all

the latter,