Trackball Transplant

Search This thread

Elementix

Mar 27, 2010
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I just successfully replaced my trackball in my Eris with a blue blackberry replacement. If you're wanting a different color for it but are bummed that it doesn't have all the multicolored LEDs like the nexus one, this is another option. Doing this WILL void any kind of warranty/insurance you have on your phone and I take no responsibility if you screw anything up. Just get a replacement trackball from DealExtreme. Link posted below.

Then, all you have to do is remove 4 screws from the back of the phone (one under a tiny sticker) and then 2 more inside the phone that are holding the charging/usb port in place. Gently lift the circuit board and pull out the old trackball. Pop the new one in, screw everything back together and you're good to go. Keep in mind that you won't be using the chrome ring surrounding the new trackball, just the inside part of it that is the actual trackball. It's not a very difficult mod at all, and it may even work on other phones (not sure). Anyway, Good luck guys!! :)

Edit: Here's the link to DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.trackball

Edit: Here you go guys:

p4040169small.jpg

p4040170small.jpg

^^ The picture doesn't really show the glow of the blue :-( ^^

p4040174small.jpg

p4040175small.jpg

p4040176small.jpg

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

Elementix

Mar 27, 2010
I'm not sure, let me see if I can post some. I might need to get a higher post count to be able to do it..

Elementix

Mar 27, 2010
I've got the pictures ready to go, but I can't post links yet. I guess my account still needs to be verified. Any help with that??

Elementix

Mar 27, 2010
Well, I would have posted a link but I couldn't. It wouldn't let me post any kind of link (i don't think)..

sickbox

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Durr my bad I thought you were replacing it with a nexus one multicolored led trackball.

What size Torx driver did you use to remove the screws?

Great mod instructions for trackball color customization! Too bad that stupid little VOID sticker is there on the screw hole. :(

joey3002

Mar 27, 2009
can you post an after picture of your eris?

thanks

OOPS #1 - ignore my post.. im on 3 hours sleep.. damn poker...

Last edited:

Elementix

Mar 27, 2010
lol, ok.

I actually just found a small enough flathead screwdriver and used it. Worked fine with both the outside and inside screws. :)

DocTauri

Jan 3, 2010
That's pretty slick, but figure out a way to add RAM to this slow POS and I'll be REALLY impressed ;-)

Lemcott

Mar 16, 2010
That's pretty slick, but figure out a way to add RAM to this slow POS and I'll be REALLY impressed ;-)

uhm... update to 2.1, you wont need any extra RAM.

back on topic: that's freaking righteous. my scroll ball just died (wont scroll down for some reason... all other directions work) so im using that as an excuse to get a replacement eris (installed leak :( want root).

now i just need to decide to go red, or get a green similar to the android's color.

Elementix

Mar 27, 2010
so you're going to get a new phone so you can have root and then change the trackball on that new phone?

DocTauri

Jan 3, 2010
uhm... update to 2.1, you wont need any extra RAM.

I realize it's off topic, and apologies to the OP, but uhm... I have 2.1, and still need RAM. The thing doesn't have enough RAM, period. Well, I guess if I never load any 3rd party apps it might be better, but if the apps are stored in the same space as running programs, RAM will always be an issue, period.