Touch Cruise Annoyances

Search This thread

UranusHertz

Mar 5, 2007
So I bought this phone 2 days ago and it was working fine. But it quickly lost its "wow" factor after about 5 hours. I hadn't even installed any softwares on it other than what the dealer put into it, and in less than 24 hours I am already getting pissed at HTC. Oh yes, the phone is great and all, but HTC sucks at making phones.

1) Word completion was working fine in keyboard mode, but after switching to other HTC inputs and then back to keyboard, word completion with keyboard is now DEAD. Not even after a soft restart fixed it.

2) No light to indicate Bluetooth/Wifi switched on

3) No blinking light to indicate phone is running

4) Start menu doesn't have the "Click" sound

5) I can't assign the god damned GPS and footprint button to do something else, what a piece of crap!

6) TouchFLO isn't smart enough to detect if I want to select multiple objects, or if I want to scroll!

7) No option to do a software soft reset

8) Need to open the back cover to do a reset

9) Menu text IS WAY TOO BIG, HTC you blind idiots!

10) The system doesn't come out from standby when I receive an SMS, meaning I have to press the fragile power button to read it.

11) I can't uninstall TouchFLO or any of the other stupid HTC softwares.

12) Manuals were unhelpful.

I already feel like flashing the damn ROM from this phone, get rid of all that stupid HTC crap. Don't get me wrong, the phone looks sleek, display is nice, response is faster than most other Dopod/HTC crap phones, the scroll button is kool, camera quality is good, but it's just so damn annoying. I'm probably going to just give it to my girlfriend, whoever she will be. My Atom Exec still rocks.

Overall rating for this phone: 5.5/10

Apparently the word completion bug seems to be HTC wanting to replace the WM dict with eT9 :(

If anyone has a way of fixing the word completion bug, and the GPS/footprint button assignments, I will be very much obliged.

erzketis

Feb 15, 2009
So I bought this phone 2 days ago and it was working fine. But it quickly lost its "wow" factor after about 5 hours. I hadn't even installed any softwares on it other than what the dealer put into it, and in less than 24 hours I am already getting pissed at HTC. Oh yes, the phone is great and all, but HTC sucks at making phones.

1) Word completion was working fine in keyboard mode, but after switching to other HTC inputs and then back to keyboard, word completion with keyboard is now DEAD. Not even after a soft restart fixed it.

2) No light to indicate Bluetooth/Wifi switched on

3) No blinking light to indicate phone is running

4) Start menu doesn't have the "Click" sound

5) I can't assign the god damned GPS and footprint button to do something else, what a piece of crap!

6) TouchFLO isn't smart enough to detect if I want to select multiple objects, or if I want to scroll!

7) No option to do a software soft reset

8) Need to open the back cover to do a reset

9) Menu text IS WAY TOO BIG, HTC you blind idiots!

10) The system doesn't come out from standby when I receive an SMS, meaning I have to press the fragile power button to read it.

11) I can't uninstall TouchFLO or any of the other stupid HTC softwares.

12) Manuals were unhelpful.

I already feel like flashing the damn ROM from this phone, get rid of all that stupid HTC crap. Don't get me wrong, the phone looks sleek, display is nice, response is faster than most other Dopod/HTC crap phones, the scroll button is kool, camera quality is good, but it's just so damn annoying. I'm probably going to just give it to my girlfriend, whoever she will be. My Atom Exec still rocks.

Overall rating for this phone: 5.5/10

Apparently the word completion bug seems to be HTC wanting to replace the WM dict with eT9 :(

If anyone has a way of fixing the word completion bug, and the GPS/footprint button assignments, I will be very much obliged.

Go and by Nokia phone then...

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
RE 10) and your device not waking up when you get an SMS. Go to Start, Settings, Sounds & Notifications, then click on the Notifications tab. Tap on the dropdown box next to 'Event', find and select 'Messaging: New SMS', then tick 'Display Message on screen' and hit OK : )

jychan28

Apr 3, 2006
California
I do agree with most of the complaint. I am very very disappointed with this Cruise 2. I thought it is a smaller size version of the Cruise 1 (Polaris) except faster and more memories. But it is NOT! It has less buttons than Cruise and two of damn buttons are just useless. HTC sucks!

UranusHertz

Mar 5, 2007
RE 10) and your device not waking up when you get an SMS. Go to Start, Settings, Sounds & Notifications, then click on the Notifications tab. Tap on the dropdown box next to 'Event', find and select 'Messaging: New SMS', then tick 'Display Message on screen' and hit OK : )

I tried that option, it doesn't work :(

As a side note, I thought there was no blue LED to indicate Wifi/Bluetooth status, but last night, I saw a brief flash of blue, and then it never happened again. So there's definitely a blue LED there, but it's not used for Wifi/Bluetooth for some reason.

Anyone wanna trade phones with me?

Last edited:

jychan28

Apr 3, 2006
California
I tried that option, it doesn't work :(

As a side note, I thought there was no blue LED to indicate Wifi/Bluetooth status, but last night, I saw a brief flash of blue, and then it never happened again. So there's definitely a blue LED there, but it's not used for Wifi/Bluetooth for some reason.

Anyone wanna trade phones with me?

Unless you want to get an older generation phone!
I also have HTC Touch 3G, it also have same annoyances.

First generation HTC phones has infrared, many buttons and LED's, Flash LED(s) for camera. Separate earplugs and power sockets. Metal bodies.

Then:
They took away the infrared, no more camera Flash light.
They cut the number of buttons.
They cut the LED's. Cut all the metal parts except the screws and printed circuit board contacts and copper traces, USB connector case.

They do make the phone smaller, lighter, more functions and more memories.

BTW, HTC have replaced the metal hook for phone string to plastic hook and smaller metal logo plate from Touch 3G to Touch Cruise(09).

I think the next version phone is going to be glassless and metal-less. Case will be just snap-on. The metal logo plate will be just a print on case or a paper sticker. They might attempt to use plastic USB connector. If anything has shorter lifetime, that means they will have better business. That might lead them to put a small timed self-destructive device just beyond the warranty period in the machine. They would love to cut the warranty time from a year to 3 months or better, 30 days. The new Sony laptops already ask customer to pay extra to extend the warranty period from 3 months to a year.

People want green earth but also want everything disposable! What gives?:rolleyes:

pikarin

Jul 17, 2008
Valladolid
Uranus, with everything you say about the HTC Iolite, I throw it out the window :D

Incidentally, my Iolite works perfectly and the problem of the dictionary (in Spanish) does not exist.

Regards!!!

Frank C

Oct 5, 2008
With some time and effort most of these annoyances can be solved or tweaked.....various good ROM's (Billabong) and many many software/tweaks around.....

What I do agree is that Polaris was more robust....but Iolite is better overall.....

In the end you can not produce a phone at reasonable price every-body is happy with.....

FC

UranusHertz

Mar 5, 2007
Update:

Hi fellas,

After over a year, I finally decided to ditch this P.o.S. to my roomie. Things I've managed to fix:

1) Word completion, via a registry tweak in \HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e0010409\
Ime File=\windows\compime.dll
Layout Text =COMP IME

(I am still using this solution today for my HD2 which I flashed on the same day I bought it, I can't stand that HTC interface I got all annoyed at it after 5 minutes LOL)

2 & 3) nueLED is cool, but doesn't work :(

4) Start menu still doesn't have the "Click" sound

5) I still can't assign the GPS and footprint button to do something else

6) TouchFLO have to be "compromised" with smarter apps.

7) Need to use 3rd party app to do software reset

9) Managed to modify the popup menu text. Still, come on...
\HKLM\System\GWE\Menu\Popup

10) The system still doesn't wake up on sms despite changing the registry key which enables wake up on SMS.

I'm MUCH more happy with S200 in contrast, only problem is the weak vibration.