stripping glass

Search This thread

Dibbley247

Sep 4, 2013
Hi Guys

Been trying to google for my answer, bur haven't found what im looking for.
Basically, I bought a heat plate to start repairing the samsung/htc rang.
But there are a couple of pointers im looking for, so please point me in the right direction if this isn't the place, bit I know there's alot of very helpful/knowlegable people here.

1- im getting mixed temperatures of 60-100 degrees Celsius. Is there a limit?

2- is there a time limit to expose the lcd to such heat? As a beginner on stripping glass, im going to taking my time.

Luckily I have about 5 damaged lcd/glass to play with before doing the real thing.

Thanks very much

k-semler

Jan 6, 2009
Pullman WA
What do you mean?

IM planning on doing glass replacements as I have only done full lcd replacements. So would like to get as much information on the process as possible which I've asked above.
I would recommend you purchase a heat gun, and a infrared thermometer. 100C is too hot. You want to keep the temperature of the glass between 75 - 85 C. You will need to frequently heat the glass. If you get the glass too hot, you will damage the LCD underneath of it. If it's not hot enough, the glue holding the glass to the body of the phone won't melt, and you risk damaging the LCD.

This video may be helpful for you:

Glass only screen replacement on Samsung GS3.

Also, take a look at this picture walkthrough:

Glass Replacement on Samsunt GS3 (w/ pictures}

Reactions: Dibbley247

Dibbley247

Sep 4, 2013
I would recommend you purchase a heat gun, and a infrared thermometer. 100C is too hot. You want to keep the temperature of the glass between 75 - 85 C. You will need to frequently heat the glass. If you get the glass too hot, you will damage the LCD underneath of it. If it's not hot enough, the glue holding the glass to the body of the phone won't melt, and you risk damaging the LCD.

Thanks, ive actually bought one of those lcd stripping machines, so you set the temperature and clamp the glass/lcd down and use wire to cut through.
I was wondering if I had the temperature set at 75, can a prolonged period of time at this temperature damage the lcd? As we know, when first starting it can take time.

Thanks for the links etc!

Dibbley247

Sep 4, 2013
It shouldn't damage it if you keep the heat steadily at 75. It will be low enough that it will melt the glue, but it won't damage the LCD.

Brilliant, thanks for that. The machine does vary by 5 degrees, so will keep it at 70 and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input everyone
Much appreciated! !!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What do you mean?

IM planning on doing glass replacements as I have only done full lcd replacements. So would like to get as much information on the process as possible which I've asked above.

It shouldn't damage it if you keep the heat steadily at 75. It will be low enough that it will melt the glue, but it won't damage the LCD.