[HOW-TO] Wireless Charging Car Dock for Galaxy S4 ***Updated: 7/31***

Search This thread

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City

Hey guys,

So if anyone you follow me closely, you guys will know that I'm a big fan of wireless charging accessories (especially when it comes to making things universal). Being the big supporter that I am, I have wireless charging pads in multiple locations employed as I am trying to go completely cable-less. However, there has always been one thing missing that would be able to truly make this wireless charging experience complete; and that is a Wireless Charging Car Dock.

Well luckily ladies and gentleman, after hours of searching, I have found us a great solution to that problem! :)

This is a combination of a product that is brought to you by one of our own members here at XDA: Original Thread Here

This is called the Owl Carpad Qi Wireless Charging Car Mount - Sale Link for Galaxy S III

HMXPpvu.jpg

In addition with another product:

This is called the Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (confirmed with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
Or another listing of Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (thinnest with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
Or official Samsung Galaxy S4 Wireless Charging Back Cover - Black or White

WvQjrbz.jpg

The great thing about this wireless charging receiver/insert is that you can use ANY battery cover with it (stock, flip cover, S-View cover, etc...) and the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad should be compatible with the Galaxy S4.

If anyone wants this solution, I have currently purchased the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad and preordered the Galaxy S4 wireless charging kit and will be testing as soon as I receive it and will be sure to let you guys know but I am quite confident that these will be compatible.

Please feel free to voice your comments/question below. :)

Last edited:
Looking forward to the review! Make sure you include a long drive in it running GPS and see if it charges up the phone or loses battery - I really want to love wireless charging, but it seems like it's just limited to home use right now because it will only do 1A and this phone really does need 2A to get it charged!

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Looking forward to the review! Make sure you include a long drive in it running GPS and see if it charges up the phone or loses battery - I really want to love wireless charging, but it seems like it's just limited to home use right now because it will only do 1A and this phone really does need 2A to get it charged!

Definitely, I will likely be using this as a daily driver so will let you guys know. :good:

demusss

Mar 2, 2008
The pad insert on ebay says its 500mA. Is that normal for qi pads?

Do u think that higher ones would be available later?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
The pad insert on ebay says its 500mA. Is that normal for qi pads?

Do u think that higher ones would be available later?

500mA is a little bit on the low side but I think they put that there as a general estimate. I see another sale put one of the same but rated in description 500mA to 700mA. See Here

There's also this one but can't tell what they rate it for.

PJ_ED

Jan 1, 2011
How thick of case?

Hey guys,

So if anyone you follow me closely, you guys will know that I'm a big fan of wireless charging accessories (especially when it comes to making things universal). Being the big supporter that I am, I have wireless charging pads in multiple locations employed as I am trying to go completely cable-less. However, there has always been one thing missing that would be able to truly make this wireless charging experience complete; and that is a Wireless Charging Car Dock.

Well luckily ladies and gentleman, after hours of searching, I have found us a great solution to that problem! :)

This is a combination of a product that is brought to you by one of our own members here at XDA: Original Thread Here
In addition with another product by a company called WiQiQi: Original Site Here or Ebay Link Here (Added 5/16)

This is called the Owl Carpad Qi Wireless Charging Car Mount - Sale Link for Galaxy S III

HMXPpvu.jpg

This called the WiQiQi Samsung S4 Wireless Charger Set - Sale Link for Galaxy S4
Or another listing for Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver - Select Samsung S4 Receiver from dropdown

Y898BhQ.jpg

The great thing about this wireless charging receiver/insert is that you can use ANY battery cover with it (stock, flip cover, S-View cover, etc...) and the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad should be compatible with the Galaxy S4.

If anyone wants this solution, I have currently purchased the Galaxy S III OWL Carpad and preordered the Galaxy S4 wireless charging kit and will be testing as soon as I receive it and will be sure to let you guys know but I am quite confident that these will be compatible.

How thick of a case could you get away with? I am shopping for a good rugged case, I am really hard on phones.

jdtommy

May 22, 2013
did it work

was wondering if you had a chance to try this out an if the charge is enough to keep your phone going?

dtninc

May 7, 2013
Tampa
I'm looking forward to your review I have been interested in the wireless charging from wiqiqi and how it works.

delaneybob

Jan 23, 2013
Just received my phone today, still waiting on the receiver and car dock.

Appreciate you posting this- this is my BIG quandry- replacing my car and Desktop dock. I plan to use a Otterbox commuter case. Some you tube's are out there on HTC DNA showing wireless works even with a Defender.

Wondering if you plan to use a case and if there is a recommendation for a desk dock - or should I just use the car dock on my desk?

delaneybob

Jan 23, 2013
This is what I'm wondering too.
I've read about chargers that could work up to one and a half inches while others say "any" added case will prevent charging.

There is a 26 minute video of the guy trying this charger out. It appears that with GPS and Screen on you will hold charge and maybe charge at 100mA. The connector is also coax, not USB so i will need to redo my wiring job i did so I do not have to use a cigarette lighter. Also much was made about it getting hot with GPS on and to stick it by the AC vent.

My Droid X (replacing) got smoking hot anytime GPS was on anyway and with a wired charger- maybe charged at 1% per 20 minutes.

It comes form Korea by a couple fo guys it appears. So it looks like you need to order the dock and the S4Qi kit for the phone. I am still looking for what the best desk dock is because I need to use it for work phone (speaker mode required)

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Received my Qi receiver, NFC antenna extender, and wireless charging pad yesterday.

The actual wireless charging car dock should be coming in tonight! Will get more pics for you guys.

Also added more receivers to OP.

9t79nBW.jpg

delaneybob

Jan 23, 2013
Received my Qi receiver, NFC antenna extender, and wireless charging pad yesterday.

The actual wireless charging car dock should be coming in tonight! Will get more pics for you guys.

Also added more receivers to OP.

9t79nBW.jpg

the design of the receiver on the phone looks better than previous- wider at base and looks like adhesive for it as well?

What is the rating of the charger?- 1500mA?- will be interesting to see if GPS+Screen still allows a slight charge.

also any ideas for a deck dock would be appreciated- iI have a otterbox commuter case

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Have some photos for you guys on next post

EDIT: Didn't get a chance to test it today because the receiver I have doesn't align properly with the dock so it doesn't charge. Confirmed with the seller which receiver works and purchased that one. Should be coming next week.

Last edited:

demusss

Mar 2, 2008
You need to use a specific receiver?

Which one is recommended?

delaneybob

Jan 23, 2013
Looks like it's 1A output which is below the 1.5 amp on other wireless chargers. I ma not expert by any stretch but from what i researched that means ~700mA to the phone. Another version put 1A actually to the phone and with GPS on and screen it made 1%/10min charge,

Here is the 1A reciever which usually goes with a 1.5A charger http://www.ecrater.com/p/18004506/qi-standard-wireless-charger-charging?gps=1&id=52211034499

Seems like this will hold but not actually charge with GPS and screen- will be interesting to see.

I have found a desk charger I may get - but it's 1A which may be ok since i won't have GPS on at the house :)

http://www.tylt.com/vu/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey guys,

HMXPpvu.jpg

In addition with another product:

This is called the Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (confirmed with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
    Or another listing of Samsung S4 Wireless Receiver (thinnest with NFC working) - Sale Link (Video Review)
    Or official Samsung Galaxy S4 Wireless Charging Back Cover - Black or White

WvQjrbz.jpg

So here's a question... if the Qi and generic branded ones only need the 2 pins for wireless charging... what are the other 2 pins on the opposite side that connect to an antenna on the OEM cover? I noticed that on the OEM non-wireless charging covers (for both Verizon and US Cellular), those 2 pins rest against what looks to be an integrated antenna on the back cover. The more interesting bit is that the antenna pattern is slightly different as far as I could tell between my VZW one and the USCC one.

What is that antenna for? I thought it might be for NFC, but I thought it was odd that the pattern was different between between phones on different carriers.

Edit 1: FCC document mentions the NFC antenna is integrated in the battery -- https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1928214 but there is no mention of what those 2 contact points are for.

Edit 2: Aha! It is for NFC: http://www.exportmarkets.com/product/20313/qi-charger-antenna-with-nfc-for-galaxy-s4

---

Related to this thread, you can get the Samsung OEM wireless charging cover directly from them for $19.99 with coupon code: rv18623

White - http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-CI950IWUSTA
    Black - http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-CI950IBUSTA

The wireless charging pad comes out to $25, great deal also:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-P100IJWUSTA

TecTiles are also a decent deal at $7.49:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EAD-X11SWEGXAR
    I have been playing around with various receivers for a few days including the official back cover as well and I have determined the following so far:

• The official back cover provides the best and most reliable connection
    • The included car charger definitely has some issues keeping charge (my battery actually goes down)
    • The wall charger provides anywhere from 50-350ma charge to the wireless charging unit
    • The original thin black receiver I receive does not work due to alignment issue with the wireless charging unit
    • The newer slightly thicker white receiver works much much better and with NFC as well (but still not as good as the official back cover)
    • The wireless charging unit is definitely much weaker in general than all other desktop wireless chargers
    I'm going to try over the next few days with the wall charger into an AC converter in my car and see what happens but I feel like this is still much weaker charge than they could have made it. I have a few ideas to mod a desktop wireless charger into the casing of the wireless charging car dock unit so I may play around with that as well. Anyways, just wanted to drop by and give a quick update. Once I have a permanent solution I will be sure to give you guys lots of pics and details. Right now I just testing things out.
    My Car setup

Here is my car setup- very happy with it

http://youtu.be/I1PXlx-WUDw