Is the wifi-issue real or not?

Search This thread

desert_mouse

Dec 17, 2011
I think you would find a heck of a lot of information regarding your question if you did a search for wifi issues.

ON my Prime the wifi is very fast and shares the signal strength of my father's ipad1.

louvass

Sep 24, 2010
WIFI - what I found

I had my Prime along side my transformer. The Transformer needle buried to -40 dBm's where the Prime would lay between -50 and -60 dBm's and fluctuate also. I am finding the Transformer has better and stronger WiFi

tdrussell

Sep 13, 2010
Dallas
The wifi issue WAS real. I do not have any issues with my unit.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

speed4134

Nov 20, 2010
oh,its real alright!
I originally bought my wife a toshiba thrive and replaced it with the prime after a week.So far,she hates the prime saying that its much slower at everything it does,and i have to agree with her. But all that speed drop is related to the wifi problem...it disconnects randomly,and when connected,web browsing is sluggish compared to the to shiba. Also had a few fc when playing games wich resulted in having to reboot the prime.
Am trying to explain to her that there will be a solution to this problem pretty soon for sure. Please note that the tablet is updated to asus latest firmware and the wifi problem is not corrected.
My conclusion is that the prime was released too early,but im sure that the issues will be resolved by the goodfolks at asus,or by the geek studs here in the xda community.
So maybe the prime is not ready for the general public,but still very desirable for the techies at heart.

tdrussell

Sep 13, 2010
Dallas
oh,its real alright!
I originally bought my wife a toshiba thrive and replaced it with the prime after a week.So far,she hates the prime saying that its much slower at everything it does,and i have to agree with her. But all that speed drop is related to the wifi problem...it disconnects randomly,and when connected,web browsing is sluggish compared to the to shiba. Also had a few fc when playing games wich resulted in having to reboot the prime.
Am trying to explain to her that there will be a solution to this problem pretty soon for sure. Please note that the tablet is updated to asus latest firmware and the wifi problem is not corrected.
My conclusion is that the prime was released too early,but im sure that the issues will be resolved by the goodfolks at asus,or by the geek studs here in the xda community.
So maybe the prime is not ready for the general public,but still very desirable for the techies at heart.

Play with your AP setting...channel, security, etc. I've had to fiddle with these for almost every new device I get, as annoying as that is.

dandmcd

Feb 6, 2011
The Wifi on my Prime has been more reliable than the Wifi on my old TF1. It is stronger, probably thanks to the dual antenna system, and have had no problem in my house, at work, or any coffee shop. Speeds seems about the same other than the browser loading pages faster thanks to the Tegra 3.

denverbuckeye

Nov 29, 2007
I managed to buy one of the original pre-shipping units that had VERY inconsistent WiFi similar to what has been pointed out in online reviews - signal fluctuating between -40 and -75 on a wireless router in the same room.

Yesterday, I traded that unit for on in the first batch shipped to Gamestop and the difference is noticeable. Pretty steady signal strength between -38 and -45.

MountainDrew

Apr 30, 2007
Toronto
Wifi on mine is fine in my house, always pretty much full strength. I have a 4 story townhouse, with an AP on floor 2 and 4. The Prime connects much more reliably than my Galaxy Nexus.

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
Getting inconsistent signal on mines while being only five ft from.my router.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II t989

skeptikal

Nov 28, 2008
I've tested mine along side my galaxy tab and they have the same WiFi strength in all areas of my house and even outside/garage etc...Picked my TFP up from GS on the 21st just for reference.

GPS on the other hand....not so great. Not so great meaning not working at all. :(

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The issue doesn't seem to be getting a signal, it seems to be maintaining it consistently. A couple of people have posted reports from Wi-Fi Analyzer showing there's a bunch of fluctuation on the Prime that doesn't appear on other devices compared side-by-side. That could be an issue when you're not at home and using sketchy signals at airports, restaurants, and hotels. It also would be invisible in things like browsing and downloads but a problem in streaming video or audio. Anyone checking or comparing Wi-Fi should do it using Wi-Fi Analyzer (or similar).

skeptikal

Nov 28, 2008
The issue doesn't seem to be getting a signal, it seems to be maintaining it consistently. A couple of people have posted reports from Wi-Fi Analyzer showing there's a bunch of fluctuation on the Prime that doesn't appear on other devices compared side-by-side. That could be an issue when you're not at home and using sketchy signals at airports, restaurants, and hotels. It also would be invisible in things like browsing and downloads but a problem in streaming video or audio. Anyone checking or comparing Wi-Fi should do it using Wi-Fi Analyzer (or similar).

I tested using wifi analyzer and have not noted any difference between my old school(but new) tab and my TFP. I have also not noticed any issue with youtube as of yet although I've only watched a video here and there. I have not done any testing away from home but I have used the prime tethered to my tab and evo with no issues so far. I will create a video if anyone is interested.

And again, sadly, GPS is a no-go.

Edit:// It should be noted too that my router is located centrally in my modest sized home. 1700 squaw feets. Or square even.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Wifi on my prime works fine. connection strength is strong. no dropped signals or anything. seems right on par with my iPad. so in all I don't have any problems with my device or wifi.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

I've tested mine along side my galaxy tab and they have the same WiFi strength in all areas of my house and even outside/garage etc...Picked my TFP up from GS on the 21st just for reference.

GPS on the other hand....not so great. Not so great meaning not working at all. :(

I haven't tested my GPS out yet. don't want to take this outside without a case :D

azzurrony

Dec 21, 2011
Guys, I'm averaging about -55dbm from my mobile hotspot. The Prime is right next to the phone. Should I be worried?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Edit:// It should be noted too that my router is located centrally in my modest sized home. 1700 squaw feets. Or square even.

1,700 square feet may be modest for TX but it's down right huge in some places. ;) You guys should post what routers you're using too. Samsung devices have a particular distaste for D-Link and perform exceptionally well with NetGear. So it might be interesting to see if the Prime interacts with all routers the same way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure if I've read anything (OR MUCH) about the actual functionality of the WIFI in regards to not working well. It's all about number of bars and wifi analyzers. Could it be that the WiFi on the TFP is fine for most people but there is a problem with how the tablet reports and displays WiFi strength? Its strange that so many people (not all) are saying that the wifi still functions like any other device but anything that just displays the strength displays it as weak. Considering the relative complexity of antenna diversity is this a possibility? If so this could be something that could be easily fixed with an update right?