HTC Desire HD or wait wait for the glacier?

Search This thread

timstanley1985

Sep 23, 2010
London
My phone is due for upgrade at the end of the month. Ever since it was announced i have had my heart set on a Desire HD and planned to upgrade to this as soon as it was released.

A spanner was thrown into the works today when I bumped into some articles dating back to May about the glacier. The spec looks a huge leap ahead of the desire hd but I could not find any recent references to this device at all.

Does anyone know anything about this device? The reports from may say the launch was planned for end of 2010 and that it has the dual core snapdragon.That is all I can find.

Cheers

Tim

Sent from my HTC Hero using XDA App

Sent from my HTC Hero using XDA App

Rixsta

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 26, 2010
Nottingham
Qualcomm began sampling the dual-core Snapdragon back in early June, promising both 1.2GHz and 1.5GHz versions. There’s no telling which the HTC Glacier might be running – doing some basic sums on the difference between the single-core 1GHz phones leaves the mysterious HTC falling somewhere in-between – but Qualcomm has said that the first devices to use the updated chips could be on the market before the year is out.

This was just my views about the Desire HD using the evo lcd screen to get the phone out quicker to make way for the new dual core. Around December/January time there we be a new phone from HTC Im sure.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/08/24/htc-smartphone-rumors-desire-hdace-glacier-paradise-more/

That being said you can wait forever and then 3 months down the line there's a new better phone and so it goes on, Im just going to get the Desire HD and then sell it on for the next model if its good enough and I like it, enjoy whats out now and upgrade later...

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
You're basically in between the generation gap.
The Glacier will be announced officially in November (around the 5th), but there's no telling when it will be available to the masses (retail).

The question is rather: what are your uses for the smartphone, and do you really need the extra power. Unless you're a dev (especially working on native/multithread apps), you won't be needing the extra HP.

Last edited:

Rixsta

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 26, 2010
Nottingham
The Glacier will be announced oficially in November (around the 5th), but there's no telling when it will be available to the masses (retail).

The question is rather: what are your uses for the smartphone, and do you really need the extra power. Unless you're a dev (especially working on native/multithread apps), you won't be needing the extra HP.

I bet theres not many of us that need the extra power but you know we're still going to upgrade :D

AndreasA88

Sep 30, 2010
The Glacier will be announced officially in November (around the 5th), but there's no telling when it will be available to the masses (retail).

How do you know that it will be announced in november? Source?

mupet0000

Sep 16, 2010
Any idea how much it will cost, I don't want to pay £470 for the DHD and find out that next month a better phone is announced for the same price. I wouldn't mind if it was next year some time but it's less than a month if you say 5th November announcement.

J

JupiterDroid

My god, you guys;/

There will always be a new phone comming out every couple of months, you will be waiting forever;)))

If i was you i would get this "great" phone, then in a year from now sell it and add about 150 -200 to get the newest phone out.. and you can keep doing this every year!

If your always waiting for the newest release, you will be waiting all your life!

Next year, samsung are supposedly gonna go into overdrive on AMOLED and S-AMOLED production, so all top of the range phones from next year will be SAMOLED and of the dual core chipset.. I will sell my HD around June next year for around 250-300 and just add 150 and get the new beast...

JD

NoEnd

Jul 28, 2010
Muharraq

it's look like it'll be announced on 25th of Oct as HTC is going to have a conference.
HTC: "We had to shift the date of #HTCLON. It's now on the 25th of October. Pardor the last minute change. Massive
"

themonkster

Apr 16, 2010
Manchester
it's look like it'll be announced on 25th of Oct as HTC is going to have a conference.
HTC: "We had to shift the date of #HTCLON. It's now on the 25th of October. Pardor the last minute change. Massive
"

I believe the conference in London in October is for the Windows 7 based HTC Phone. They had sent me an invite Facebook. Im pretty sure the'll be no Android based phones at that conference.

jmohik

Dec 17, 2008
Amman
thanks guys i am lost again :(

i just made up my mind on having the DHD, but the glacier is coming :eek:

Well I believe i will close my eyes and go for DHD ... if glacier is released i will try and sell DHD and see if i will get the glacier

BTW

So far can't find any website that sells an unlock DHD

Any one has any clue?

R.

jords12

Sep 22, 2010

Well I believe i will close my eyes and go for DHD ... if glacier is released i will try and sell DHD and see if i will get the glacier

BTW

Any one has any clue?

R.

Um... heres a few:
http://www.clove.co.uk/htc-desire-hd (My order is with them)
http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/3564/htc-desire-hd--android--sim-free-unlocked--dark-brown-
http://www.expansys.com/htc-desire-hd-203871/

SupremeBeaver

Jun 10, 2010
Nicosia

BTW

Any one has any clue?

R.

from what i've been reading, the Glacier will be released for T-Mobile US. In other words the 3G won't work here in Europe. I don't think HTC intend for that phone to be in the European market so i think you should forget about it and get the DHD.

Ethania

Apr 1, 2008
Falun
You can always wait.
Wait, and wait...

Soon you’ll be dead and is being buried with your old Nokia 3220.

Or!
Get the things you want, and sell them when something better comes along.

A word of caution tough:
Don’t take this advise when it comes to people :D