[Q] No NAND partitions on A13 Allwinner

Search This thread

bonfirer

Jul 9, 2013
Hi!
I recently acquired an A13 tablet and wanting to install CM10 on it I first installed CWM 6.0.2.8 according to the famous manual (if it's relevant I'll post the exact url). Anyway, it got stuck on CWM (doesn't boot normally). Now I figured it can't install since using 'adb shell' and looking at /proc/partitions -- nothing is there!
"""
cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

179 0 15558144 mmcblk0
179 1 15554048 mmcblk0p1
"""

So I have no internal memory to use -- no internal memory to install to, right?
"""
ls /dev/block
loop0 loop2 loop4 loop6 mmcblk0 nandf ram0
loop1 loop3 loop5 loop7 mmcblk0p1 platform ram1
"""

Seems that only nandf exists, which means I can't cat into nandg and sync and install new img. Right? Or am I missing something?
How do I fix this?

Thanks

bonfirer

Jul 9, 2013
update

I've figured out that although the nand kernel module is loaded (watching 'lsmod'), there isn't a nand block device registered in /proc/devices.

bonfirer

Jul 9, 2013
some more conclusions

OK so now I figured out that nand.ko fails to initialize and therefore I don't have the block device. From dmesg:

<4>[ 1.006900] hello:init_nand_libmodule,21
<4>[ 1.006920] hello:init_nand_libmodule,22
<4>[ 1.006928] nand_init,line:1282
<4>[ 1.006940] [NAND]nand driver, init.
<4>[ 1.006950] [NAND] nand driver version: 0x2, 0x10, data: 20120610
<4>[ 1.006958] [NAND] nand clk request start
<4>[ 1.006989] [NAND] nand clk request ok!
<4>[ 1.007036] [NAND] nand gpio_request
<4>[ 1.007096] [NAND] nand gpio_request fail
<4>[ 1.007111] NAND_RequestDMA ok
<4>[ 1.007153] [SCAN_ERR] search nand physical architecture parameter failed!
<4>[ 1.007163] [NAND]init_blklayer fail

What do I do?!

bonfirer

Jul 9, 2013
OK so now I figured out that nand.ko fails to initialize and therefore I don't have the block device. From dmesg:

<4>[ 1.006900] hello:init_nand_libmodule,21
<4>[ 1.006920] hello:init_nand_libmodule,22
<4>[ 1.006928] nand_init,line:1282
<4>[ 1.006940] [NAND]nand driver, init.
<4>[ 1.006950] [NAND] nand driver version: 0x2, 0x10, data: 20120610
<4>[ 1.006958] [NAND] nand clk request start
<4>[ 1.006989] [NAND] nand clk request ok!
<4>[ 1.007036] [NAND] nand gpio_request
<4>[ 1.007096] [NAND] nand gpio_request fail
<4>[ 1.007111] NAND_RequestDMA ok
<4>[ 1.007153] [SCAN_ERR] search nand physical architecture parameter failed!
<4>[ 1.007163] [NAND]init_blklayer fail

What do I do?!

Maybe can someone post a newer version of nand.ko ?... maybe that's the problem?

bonfirer

Jul 9, 2013
SOLVED

Maybe can someone post a newer version of nand.ko ?... maybe that's the problem?

LOL, no one answered but I solved it "myself". I'll write it here for future reference. Anyway, my tablet is a YEAHPAD Pillbox7. I figured out that the nand.ko was outdated. Also LiveSuit recovery with the "yeahpad" image that's available online didn't work (always had an error 0x162).
So as a last resort I e-mailed YEAHPAD support and they gave me the original stock rom image which eventually worked with LiveSuit!

Now I'm gonna try to make a CM10.1 ROM with the correct drivers for all us YEAHPAD Pillbox7 owners. Wish me luck

bonfirer

Jul 9, 2013
SOLUTION

I created an image for CWM 6.0.2.8 , for A13 Allwinner tablets with 10 partitions. It is the same as in here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2189640 only I made it with the newer nand.ko, which is suitable for my tablet (so no more "unable to mount /cache" etc).

It works great!
(But I still haven't found a proper CM rom).

Attachments

• ClockWorkRecoveryImage_A13_10Partitions.rar
    5.6 MB · Views: 3,412

icebearofbearbros

Sep 30, 2013
ICOO D50W CWM recovery boot loop

only I made it with the newer nand.ko, which is suitable for my tablet
Hey bonfirer! Thanks alot for posting info about this issue. I have the exact same problem with my ICOO D50W, which is an Allwinner A13 tablet with 10 partitions, too. I already acquired a stock firmware image and tried to extract nand.ko but without any results. I managed to unpack the recovery image from inside the stock rom and had a look at the files inside it, but failed to find nand.ko. Can you explain how to find the file or how to extract it, please? Thank you!

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
yeovert may

OMG!! I have been searching around for HOURS with a CWM bootloop. Tried all the different 9,10,11 partitions but nothing worked. Tried to install all the ADB USB drivers I came across, the stock and FaaastJB-v2.5 ROMs with all the LiveSuit versions all to no avail with lots of frustration and no sleep..apparently, I couldn't get windows to recognise the ADB driver (so I thought) for LiveSuit..

But then by accident, instead of putting it into the download mode it went into CWM and the ADB shell recognised it!
So FINALLY, I realised that I have exactly the same problem that you do with only having the 2 partitions. My device was actually 10 when I checked earlier and I installed what was claimed is the right CWM but that's when all the problems started.

So, I don't suppose you could please help me out please by telling me (and the guy above me) how u fixed ur device? Also, could you please upload the ROM they sent u somewhere and post the link so we can have a tinker with it?

FYI My device is a eZee Tab 707 (Allwinner A13)

I think that if this doesn't work then I have no idea in hell WTH will... :fingers-crossed:

Thanks!

Cellomusic82

Sep 10, 2011
Same thing

I have done the exact same thing with my Zeepad 7.0. Now it has the wrong CWM on it and it shows zero partitions. I tried to install your CWM but obviously I don't know what I'm doing. Do I have to re-partition it somehow? Please give us the steps on how you fixed yours. Thanks!

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
I have done the exact same thing with my Zeepad 7.0. Now it has the wrong CWM on it and it shows zero partitions. I tried to install your CWM but obviously I don't know what I'm doing. Do I have to re-partition it somehow? Please give us the steps on how you fixed yours. Thanks!

On just using Google, the 1st link came up with the official Zeepad support page and how to use Livesuit to flash the Stock ROM (also provided).

You have to load the image into Livesuit 1st (DO NOT CONNECT YOUR TABLET YET),

When it says to connect your tablet, restart/press the reset, then quickly hold either the volume + or - (you have to find out which one works for you), plug in the MicroUSB cable and then quickly press the POWER buttom about 10 times. (NOTHING WILL SHOW UP ON THE TABLET SCREEN)

Then you will notice that the Livesuit dialog box disappears and also the main Livesuit window minimises to the system tray.

Wait and it will ask you whether you want to do a Full or Partial format (Do a FULL since u messed up the recovery but try and back up your data if you can before using USB mount to a PC)

Then it will start flashing and takes about 4mins. (If the ROM is not designed for your tablet then a 0x164 error will come up as that's what that means - so you know)

If anything goes wrong, just press the rest button or restart into the flash mode again.

Have you actually tried doing that as that is one of the only ways you are going to be able to fix your tablet. You have to use Livesuit to flash, there is no direct CWM flashing as on other devices. I RECOMMEND NOT TO FLASH CYANOGENMOD as it will mess up your partitioning and you will be in the same position again. There are other ROMs specifically suited to the A13 tablets and which won't mess up the partitioning like CM. (Look below for the links)

In general, I would highly recommend that you use the TechKnow forums instead of XDA as they the place for A10/A13 tablet owners. You have a few different ROMs to flash and LOTS of support where people actually will answer and within a few hrs. XDA appears to me a place for developers and mostly smartphone support.

I managed to fix my tablet by flashing the Stock Manta MID705 PowerTab 4.2.2 ROM with FULL flash (which also reinstalled the original 3e recovery so it was back to normal :eek:)) THIS is the forum thread I asked for help in.

Then I was able to play around with CookedROM v1.3aa & FaaastJB v2.5 which are specially designed for the A10/A13 tablets and 99% of the time, will not lead to the same CWM partitioning errors. However, the TS (TouchScreen) may not work initially but there are patches provided, info given on how to find the exact active TS drivers you need, info on how to make the patches (a little time consuming & requiring some intelligence) or most of the time, with the correct information, someone will make it for you.

Also, I recommend a software made by TechKnow called Uberizer v1.7 (available on the TechKnow site) SPECIFICALLY for A10/A13 tablets.

If you can read French then another good place for A10/A13 support is Frandroid.fr

I hope that info helps! Let me know if you managed to fix your tablet. :good:

Last edited:

hybernation

Dec 15, 2012
Dhaka
I created an image for CWM 6.0.2.8 , for A13 Allwinner tablets with 10 partitions. It is the same as in here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2189640 only I made it with the newer nand.ko, which is suitable for my tablet (so no more "unable to mount /cache" etc).

It works great!

can I flash it from existing "wrong CWM"?

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

It works great!

How do I flash this? it is in rar format.

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
can I flash it from existing "wrong CWM"?

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

How do I flash this? it is in rar format.

I wouldn't even bother with that, it will likely mess up ur partitions and the only way to get back is to do a stock ROM flash. I suggest you ask in the relevant forum if you really want to mess around with it.

Xeeon2

Miwer

Mar 25, 2004

It works great!

Thank you very much for posting your version of CWM - this also works on my tablet, and now it is no longer stuck in booting CWM.
I still needed to flash a livesuit image to get out of it initially, but my livesuit image didn't flash a new recovery so I could still accidentally end up stuck in CWM - not anymore... :)

btw. I also still need to find a proper rom with working touch screen and all.

Swagg422

Mar 25, 2011
Atlanta

dbenet

Dec 8, 2013

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION

It works great!
    SOLVED

LOL, no one answered but I solved it "myself". I'll write it here for future reference. Anyway, my tablet is a YEAHPAD Pillbox7. I figured out that the nand.ko was outdated. Also LiveSuit recovery with the "yeahpad" image that's available online didn't work (always had an error 0x162).
    So as a last resort I e-mailed YEAHPAD support and they gave me the original stock rom image which eventually worked with LiveSuit!

Now I'm gonna try to make a CM10.1 ROM with the correct drivers for all us YEAHPAD Pillbox7 owners. Wish me luck