[Q] Wifi password problem ( Rooted device )

Search This thread

kingston2020

Dec 14, 2013
Hi every body

I have rooted my note 3 n900 , but I still can't view the wifi passwords that stored in the device .

This what I have :

ctrl_interface=wlan0
update_config=1
device_name=ha3gxx
manufacturer=samsung
model_name=SM-N900
model_number=SM-N900
serial_number=4d00c01646b88081
device_type=10-0050F204-5
config_methods=physical_display virtual_push_button
p2p_listen_reg_class=81
p2p_listen_channel=1
p2p_oper_reg_class=124
p2p_oper_channel=149
okc=1
ss_enc=1
autoscan=exponential:8:128

cred={
imsi="41503-"
}

network={
ssid="happybirds"
psk=86a7e933f7c97d0f40b9be1ea61432f3
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
priority=29
frequency=2412
autojoin=1
}

As you notice the psk= numbers and letters

How can I solve this ..??
Thank you in advanced

Quetsch

Apr 15, 2006
Hi!
I encountered the same thing. The psk key seems to be encrypted. Interestingly on my note 2 with 4.2.2 the wpa_supplicant.conf is unencrypted. Either this is a "feature" of 4.3 or, what I tend to think, it's samsung specific. The whole thing idea behind Knox is to "increase" security for company usage. So an unencrypted psk might seem to be a bad idea for samsung. I'm gonna flash my note 2 with a modified 4.3 original ROM and gonna take a look into the conf then if it is also encrypted then.

Did you notice the "ss_enc=1" line? Maybe this toggles the encryption. There seem to exist a system function with that name to encrypt addresses with a specified key. Gonna try to switch it off with "ss_enc=0" and see what happens.
Can anyone share some deeper insights in this issue?

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Ok, no use toggling 0. It was right reactivated after a reboot. Would have been to easy otherwise. Maybe thw behaviour is toggled somewhere in another conf, but my guess it is "hardcoded" somewhere. What a pity.

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
I don't see how not viewing stored Wi-Fi passwords is an issue. You should know the password already if it's your Wi-Fi. If you forgot it, you can access it via the Wi-Fi router, or reset it. If your companies tech support input it for you, they can input it again. Can you give me some insight as to why you need to retrieve already stored passwords?

Quetsch

Apr 15, 2006
I don't see how not viewing stored Wi-Fi passwords is an issue. You should know the password already if it's your Wi-Fi. If you forgot it, you can access it via the Wi-Fi router, or reset it. If your companies tech support input it for you, they can input it again. Can you give me some insight as to why you need to retrieve already stored passwords?
There are quite some reasons:
- Not keeping a second list for the passwords of all the networks stored in your device. Am I the only one who has 20+ networks stored?
- Many ppl think there is no way of retrieving the psk from the device once stored, like many years ago in Windows XP
- Because it should pe possible; no other linux distribution of my knowledge does it; so why is it done and how is it done?
- security by obscurity is a bad thing.

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
There are quite some reasons:
- Not keeping a second list for the passwords of all the networks stored in your device. Am I the only one who has 20+ networks stored?
- Many ppl think there is no way of retrieving the psk from the device once stored, like many years ago in Windows XP
- Because it should pe possible; no other linux distribution of my knowledge does it; so why is it done and how is it done?
- security by obscurity is a bad thing.

In my opinion "Because I have 20+" isn't a valid reason to retrieve wifi passwords. I still wait for a valid one.

You can obtain stored wifi passwords very easily from a rooted device! The only thing is you need to decode them. So even after you retrieve them it's still a P.I.A.! It would be much easier to create a list of 20+ ssid's and passwords and email them to yourself. Or keep an excel file of them on dropbox. It's a pain because once we enter our password into our phone it's encrypted. Most people use WPA-PSK encryption. I don't have a secret decoder ring for this. Do you? If so tell me what the password to my wifi with an ssid of Not_Yours_5G is. My wifi password will tell you how to retrieve wifi passwords from a rooted note 3. The information I pulled from my note 3 is below.

ctrl_interface=wlan0
update_config=1
device_name=hlteuc
manufacturer=samsung
model_name=SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
model_number=SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
serial_number=████████
device_type=10-0050F204-5
config_methods=physical_display virtual_push_button
p2p_listen_reg_class=81
p2p_listen_channel=1
p2p_oper_reg_class=124
p2p_oper_channel=149
okc=1
ss_enc=1
autoscan=exponential:8:128

cred={
imsi="310410-"
}

network={
ssid="attwifi"
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=3
frequency=2462
autojoin=1
vendor_spec_ssid=1
}

network={
ssid="Not_Yours-5G"
psk=ecf55efba6a17197586f8577509a018dc7bee71883c82fde8b8557038cb1aae6
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
priority=6
frequency=5805
autojoin=1

smartalaa

Mar 16, 2014
I got same problem also
my note 3 has X-Note 18.0 on it (4.4.2)
Any one managed to decode wifi passwords ???