HTC One slow when playing .MKV

Search This thread

nrkid9

Feb 3, 2012
I use my phone to watch movies from time to time and some of my series are in .mkv files. I use MplayerX to decompress and watch these files. I recently watched Django Unchained on my phone (in .mp4 format) and it was playing smoothly, however whenever I use .mkv files the picture seems to lag and sometimes the audio doesn't synchronize with the video. Is this because of the app or is it too much for the phone to handle?

Note: Each of these was in 720p.

mr.orange303

Aug 15, 2010
I use my phone to watch movies from time to time and some of my series are in .mkv files. I use MplayerX to decompress and watch these files. I recently watched Django Unchained on my phone (in .mp4 format) and it was playing smoothly, however whenever I use .mkv files the picture seems to lag and sometimes the audio doesn't synchronize with the video. Is this because of the app or is it too much for the phone to handle?

Definitely too much for the phone to handle. Case closed. ;)

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Serift

Oct 23, 2008
I tried to activate that, but it said that HW was not available for the file.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

mp4 and mkv are just containers. They tell us nothing about the actual codec of the video. But if HW decoding is not available, then the file might be 10 bit h264, which is too much for even some computers. You're not going to get perfectly smooth playback on a phone then.

bgmoey

Aug 27, 2013
Re: HTC one slow

Try using mxplayer but not with H/W decoder.

Use the S/W decoder. My mkv videos play seamlessly on my One.

Tesla84

Jun 2, 2008
Definitely too much for the phone to handle. Case closed. ;)

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Definitely bull****, don't listen to this, I have One X and it smoothly plays 720p, there's videos actually showing exactly that, on One X. So, it's some other issue. Try enabling hardware decoder or disabling - either or might be the key.

Serpentene

Oct 28, 2011

Use MXplayer with custom codec..optionally install elemental X kernel and even with a slight OC your HTC ONE will perform well at any app, multimedia file, etc. you throw at it.

I STREAM 1080P BLU-RAY rips w/ DTS audio from a home theater PC to my HTC ONE M7..using this method.:laugh:

neosic

May 26, 2012
Use MXplayer with custom codec..optionally install elemental X kernel and even with a slight OC your HTC ONE will perform well at any app, multimedia file, etc. you throw at it.

I STREAM 1080P BLU-RAY rips w/ DTS audio from a home theater PC to my HTC ONE M7..using this method.:laugh:

What custom codec do you use on mxplayer?