Some questions about rooting on aria 2.2

Search This thread

tt0204

Oct 29, 2010
I am quite new on android and I have never rooted.
Now I have decided to root my HTC aria but it is upgraded to 2.2 through OTA.
I have Googled for a while, and it seems that rooting is not possible on aria 2.2 OTA upgrade.
Is it true?
If yes, am I going to master reset (factory data reset) it to root?
Or are there any other ways?

Sent from my HTC Aria A6380 using XDA App

p.s. sorry for poor English I am from HK

Edit: I have already downgraded it to 2.1 Eclair but the version of hboot is still 1.02.
Also, I still can't root it.

Last edited:

JCreazy

Jan 15, 2011
Missouri
That is correct, you can't root your phone if you downloaded the 2.2 update, there is no way to root it as of yet and there is noway to downgrade

tt0204

Oct 29, 2010
So I still can't root after factory reset?

Sent from my HTC Aria A6380 using XDA App

tt0204

Oct 29, 2010
I have already downgraded my phone to 2.1 Eclair.
But I still can't root it.
Is it because the version of hboot?

chritz1179

Feb 20, 2011
im having the same issue had it rooted them did the official 2.2 update and realized att took the wifi hotspot app and disabled it unless you have the 4gb tether $60. so now i guess ill be waiting for an update so i can root it someone is probably already on it, "i hope".

chritz1179

Feb 20, 2011
i upgraded my to the official 2.2 now i cant get the free wifi hotspot feature without paying $60 bucks. Has anyone managed to root it yet?

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
i upgraded my to the official 2.2 now i cant get the free wifi hotspot feature without paying $60 bucks. Has anyone managed to root it yet?

No there is currently no way to root the newer HTC devices that have installed the Froyo update, including now the AT&T Aria. HTC has modified the HBOOT loader code on all of these devices and removed the previous root exploit that was used. At this point in time a new rootable exploit has not been found, so you are out of luck.

chilimac02

Mar 30, 2007
Texas
www.otecology.com
No there is currently no way to root the newer HTC devices that have installed the Froyo update, including now the AT&T Aria. HTC has modified the HBOOT loader code on all of these devices and removed the previous root exploit that was used. At this point in time a new rootable exploit has not been found, so you are out of luck.

Why would HTC (= not gay) allow ATT (= gay) to dictate something line locking the phone to a specific ROM and not letting users continue to root the thing?

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
Why would HTC (= not gay) allow ATT (= gay) to dictate something line locking the phone to a specific ROM and not letting users continue to root the thing?

AT&T had nothing to do with this. HTC is the one that has changed the HBOOT loader code on all of their devices, not just the AT&T Aria. If you bought an unlocked HTC Aria from Asia and installed the Froyo 2.2 update, you would have the same issue.

R2D2_SW

Feb 9, 2009
Essential Phone
Google Pixel 7 Pro
AT&T had nothing to do with this. HTC is the one that has changed the HBOOT loader code on all of their devices, not just the AT&T Aria. If you bought an unlocked HTC Aria from Asia and installed the Froyo 2.2 update, you would have the same issue.

Yes indeed. But I don't get it why they are pressed to change the HBOOT like this. Someone will end-up cracking it anyway. But anyway...

sshimomichi

Jan 24, 2009
大阪府
Dude, you can still tether w/o paying by creating apn settings for MediaNet.

You can find info about APN settings in the forum or download an app that can backup apn settings (I use HiAPN) and access your phone via computer and open up the XML file. In that file it should have the apn settings of your carrier (password, proxy, etc.) Make a new APN setting with the same values you just read. Please note that MCC is 310 and MNC is 410.

adamb2

Jul 24, 2010
Has anyone figured out how to root the new aria HBOOT ? Or are they still working on it if anyone is working on it.

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
Has anyone figured out how to root the new aria HBOOT ? Or are they still working on it if anyone is working on it.

This is a common problem with a lot of the HTC devices and is not unique to the Aria upgrade, so once a solution is discovered, hopefully it can be applied to the Aria also.

Reactions: adamb2

dmwagner

Yes indeed. But I don't get it why they are pressed to change the HBOOT like this. Someone will end-up cracking it anyway. But anyway...

Security of the platform. If you openly allow people to gain root access to your devices, no one will want to carry your device, nor develop software for it.

Rooting allows

-method to circumvent tethering restrictions
-file browsing the phone which allows easy pirating of software

Me, I want to root for the first reason.

yizhixi

May 2, 2011
im also facing this issue

Aria official android 2.2, HBOOT 1.02, SHIP ON

not able to root it, waiting for someone talented working out a solution...:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is a common problem with a lot of the HTC devices and is not unique to the Aria upgrade, so once a solution is discovered, hopefully it can be applied to the Aria also.
    Hi,
    I have S-off and HBOOT 1.00.0000 as you can see here: pictureup.cz/media/images/10052011/7bf1a69012ca2e453e2a02ad5dffd3a805e53b9d.jpg .

What is next step to flash clockworkmod or or cyanogenmod?

Since you are already radio S-OFF but not ENG S-OFF fastboot flash image won't work directly, but this will work:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip clockwork2501.zip
    fastboot reboot

MD5: 5d01f06af3ce99f27d23cf8a2df47926 clockwork2501.zip
    Thanks for your reply.! You mentions of service being available. Can u let me know of the service and what i need to do about it? If you like u can send me a PM

Also Do u know if this AMT method would work on HTC ARIA 2.2.2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1037315

If you visit the irc channel in my sig look for mashi or myself.

That AMT method is for early rom version emmc devices like Desire HD, Desire Z, G2 etc,and not MTD devices like Aria, Legend, Wildfire, Desire, etc.