[MOD] Ubuntu 10.10 on Galaxy Note

Search This thread

srinik5

Feb 22, 2010
Hyderabad
attachment.php

Ubuntu 10.10 runs on Galaxy Note. Most of the info below if from other threads. Credit to hollywood528 who has outlined the instructions at http://xdaforums.com/archive/t-1325250.html

• Make sure your Note is rooted.

• You will need to download "Terminal Emulator" and "Android VNC" all free from the Android Market...

• Then make a folder named Ubuntu on your SD card and transfer them there.

• Open up termial emulator and type "su" then hit enter Next type "cd sdcard/ubuntu" After that type " sh ubuntu.sh" (ignore the warning)

• Then open Android VNC. Address: localhost ((or keep empty, it may work better for some that way))
    Password: ubuntu
    Port: 5900 ((if this doesn't work, try 5901 or leaving it blank))
    BPP 24

You're all set!! :)

Attachments

• export_01.jpg
    export_01.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 21,381
Last edited:

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
Well this is posted in wrong section. If its not made by you then do not make thread about it. If you go to ubuntu site there is already a new update and explain how install on android. This is not note development. I hate reading this posts if its in wrong section.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321268

iivuch

Oct 16, 2006
Well this is posted in wrong section. If its not made by you then do not make thread about it. If you go to ubuntu site there is already a new update and explain how install on android. This is not note development. I hate reading this posts if its in wrong section.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

The post is exactly in the right place. The remark that it was not for you was about the fact that ubuntu has nothing to do with Windows :) This is version of Linux and porting it to the Note is a great achievement. I also like to see the Note being the next HD2 :)

Reactions: skyli91 and zviki

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
The post is exactly in the right place. The remark that it was not for you was about the fact that ubuntu has nothing to do with Windows :) This is version of Linux and porting it to the Note is a great achievement. I also like to see the Note being the next HD2 :)

Haha oke but i know its not windows but its looks just like it and its probebly almost the same driving system. But its not working i see. ower android os does not support loop devises?

Last edited:

moshikko

May 3, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Haha oke but i know its not windows but its looks just like it and its probebly almost the same driving system. But its not working i see. ower android os does not support loop devises?

dude do you even know what android is?
windows and Ubuntu is almost the same?
ever tried googling it before commenting ? believe me it will help you a lot in you quest for knowledge :rolleyes:

android and Ubuntu are both OS that uses the linux kernel and sometimes it gives us the opportunity to port it ( ubuntu ) to a smaller android based device
doing so on the NOTE will be a great achievement duo to it's Gigantic screen and stylus that can come in handy when working with such an OS
:cool:

P.s
stop being a hater , if we had more like you we wouldnt had any progress at all so cut it out!!!

Reactions: moyajaya

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
dude do you even know what android is?
windows and Ubuntu is almost the same?
ever tried googling it before commenting ? believe me it will help you a lot in you quest for knowledge :rolleyes:

android and Ubuntu are both OS that uses the linux kernel and sometimes it gives us the opportunity to port it ( ubuntu ) to a smaller android based device
doing so on the NOTE will be a great achievement duo to it's Gigantic screen and stylus that can come in handy when working with such an OS
:cool:

P.s
stop being a hater , if we had more like you we wouldnt had any progress at all so cut it out!!!
Pff your not nice.

I whas wonderimg wy it not worked. I can run on top of ower device with ower kernel. I whas wondering if ower notes do suport loop devices.

andjohn

Apr 22, 2009
Edmonton
goo.gl
Haters gonna hate

You have NO idea what the hell you're talking about. How about you go back to the cave you came from. Setting up the loop mounting isn't easy, and is DEFINITELY supposed to be in this area as it is DEVELOPMENT related. Also, you clearly don't understand OS's at all. Perhaps you can tell me how to get 100,000+ Linux apps working in Android? Didn't think so. I have a use for this, and a tonne of other people do too. X11 forwarding is one BIG reason.

"Build a breakfast tower to keep the haters out" - Epic Mealtime

Also, you have a let me google that for you link, and you don't even know how to do a simple search about 'What is Linux?' 'How are Android and Ubuntu similar?' 'Why would anyone want to chainloop linux?' 'How to spell the word need?'

Last edited:

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
You have NO idea what the hell you're talking about. How about you go back to the cave you came from. Setting up the loop mounting isn't easy, and is DEFINITELY supposed to be in this area as it is DEVELOPMENT related. Also, you clearly don't understand OS's at all. Perhaps you can tell me how to get 100,000+ Linux apps working in Android? Didn't think so. I have a use for this, and a tonne of other people do too. X11 forwarding is one BIG reason.

Also, you have a let me google that for you link, and you don't even know how to do a simple search about 'What is Linux?' 'How are Android and Ubuntu similar?' 'Why would anyone want to chainloop linux?' 'How to spell the word need?'

Sorry john but wy are you so onfriendly? I am noob and your einstein. Well i am going bacl to my cave and google some more.

BigsyBiggins

Dec 15, 2009
See school has finished for the holidays already......

Has anyone actually made any progress getting this to work?

And please if you don't understand basic computing STFU and stop posting in this thread. Thanks.

Reactions: sarblohw
Oct 21, 2009
Where i am ...
Only spam is from ant_john. Problebly little gye all alone this weekend sitting in front his pc googling.

Just note that you are the more (in)active on this thread ... perhaps the most alone in front of his computer ...

And why on earth ubuntu on the note won't be in "android development", could you explain this in detail ? .... please ???

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

Ubuntu 10.10 runs on Galaxy Note. Most of the info below if from other threads. Credit to hollywood528 who has outlined the instructions at http://xdaforums.com/archive/t-1325250.html

• Make sure your Note is rooted.

• You will need to download "Terminal Emulator" and "Android VNC" all free from the Android Market...

• Then make a folder named Ubuntu on your SD card and transfer them there.

• Open up termial emulator and type "su" then hit enter Next type "cd sdcard/ubuntu" After that type " sh ubuntu.sh" (ignore the warning)

• Then open Android VNC. Address: localhost ((or keep empty, it may work better for some that way))
      Password: ubuntu
      Port: 5900 ((if this doesn't work, try 5901 or leaving it blank))
      BPP 24

You're all set!! :)
    Why do we nead windows on android? Than i would by a windows phone. Thanks anyway

This post was obviously not for you.

Personally, I love reading about stuff like this. Here's to hoping that Note is the new HD2.
    Haters gonna hate

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1390351

Lightweight Images
    Ubuntu 10.10 V3 - 1280x800

WORK!!

P.S. You need every time before starting a new Ubuntu to type in the Terminal:
    su
    cd sdcard/ubuntu
    sh ubuntu.sh
    or do not close terminal (lol)
    or install GScript from Market for automate.

UPDATE:
    If I run the script from Gscript, after disconnect AndroidVNC I do not need to run ubuntu.sh again ...
    wtf?