[Q] RUU or Firmware Update Failed - No screen, fastboot, anything.

Search This thread

matt135353

Nov 19, 2013
Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help. I don't know if all of this is relevant to what happened, but I'm including it in case there's some small clue.

My phone was an S-OFF running HBOOT 2.09. I have been running Deck's CM builds for a while now with no issues. Last week, I decided to update to the new firmware which included the new partition layout.

HTC's RUU executable did not work, so I used the two zip method in this post. I first renamed rom_01 to PJ75IMG.zip, placed it on the SD card, rebooted and installed, then did the same with rom_02. Loaded everything up, seemed great with the stock image. After verifying everything was working fine, I flashed a new recovery (2.7.0.0b, via PJ75IMG.zip as well), and installed the latest OmniROM (3/31) via recovery. I had some issues with the PA 0-Day GAPPs that were recommended (force close errors with Google Keyboard) so after reflashing Omni switched back to the 12/09 GAPPs in Deck's thread. Everything seemed great.

A few days later, after having the phone in my pocket, my screen turned into a rainbow of pixels. Here is what it looks like: http://imgur.com/9ef6F8z It still seemed to work, just the screen was always that rainbow.

Thinking it was an issue with the firmware, I tried to RUU back to a somewhat earlier stock by using ViperRUU 3.16.651.3. However, after going through the RUU process, it had gone about 30-40 minutes with no updates, so I thought it had crashed. I checked to see if that was normal, and saw that it was not and they recommended restarting the process. I restarted both the ViperRUU (couldn't find phone anymore) and the phone, and now I think my phone might be totally bricked.

When I turn it on, there is nothing on the screen. It vibrates once, like it's trying to start, but nothing happens and the phone is otherwise unresponsive. I can try to boot into the bootloader (volume down + power) and that SEEMS to work, but the screen doesn't turn on then either. Occasionally, it will display the same rainbow pixels after "selecting" an option on the bootloader menu (I'm assuming). I've also pulled the SD card to insure it's not trying to read any PJ75IMG.zip.

I can't seem to get it to go into fastboot mode (single power button click after thinking I'm in the bootloader) and adb only shows the device as OFFLINE when I can get it to detect. It's hard to know what's going on without the screen.

Has anyone heard of this before? I probably ****ed something up but other than ending the ViperRUU early, not sure what. Thanks in advance, I very much appreciate it.

G

GuestK0087

Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help. I don't know if all of this is relevant to what happened, but I'm including it in case there's some small clue.

My phone was an S-OFF running HBOOT 2.09. I have been running Deck's CM builds for a while now with no issues. Last week, I decided to update to the new firmware which included the new partition layout.

HTC's RUU executable did not work, so I used the two zip method in this post. I first renamed rom_01 to PJ75IMG.zip, placed it on the SD card, rebooted and installed, then did the same with rom_02. Loaded everything up, seemed great with the stock image. After verifying everything was working fine, I flashed a new recovery (2.7.0.0b, via PJ75IMG.zip as well), and installed the latest OmniROM (3/31) via recovery. I had some issues with the PA 0-Day GAPPs that were recommended (force close errors with Google Keyboard) so after reflashing Omni switched back to the 12/09 GAPPs in Deck's thread. Everything seemed great.

A few days later, after having the phone in my pocket, my screen turned into a rainbow of pixels. Here is what it looks like: http://imgur.com/9ef6F8z It still seemed to work, just the screen was always that rainbow.

Thinking it was an issue with the firmware, I tried to RUU back to a somewhat earlier stock by using ViperRUU 3.16.651.3. However, after going through the RUU process, it had gone about 30-40 minutes with no updates, so I thought it had crashed. I checked to see if that was normal, and saw that it was not and they recommended restarting the process. I restarted both the ViperRUU (couldn't find phone anymore) and the phone, and now I think my phone might be totally bricked.

When I turn it on, there is nothing on the screen. It vibrates once, like it's trying to start, but nothing happens and the phone is otherwise unresponsive. I can try to boot into the bootloader (volume down + power) and that SEEMS to work, but the screen doesn't turn on then either. Occasionally, it will display the same rainbow pixels after "selecting" an option on the bootloader menu (I'm assuming). I've also pulled the SD card to insure it's not trying to read any PJ75IMG.zip.

I can't seem to get it to go into fastboot mode (single power button click after thinking I'm in the bootloader) and adb only shows the device as OFFLINE when I can get it to detect. It's hard to know what's going on without the screen.

Has anyone heard of this before? I probably ****ed something up but other than ending the ViperRUU early, not sure what. Thanks in advance, I very much appreciate it.

This is a known hardware issue. Look here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470296

It happened to me as well. I called Sprint and they replaced my phone for no charge.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

matt135353

Nov 19, 2013
Ah, thanks for the link. I don't have TEP and it's out of warranty but I'll give Sprint repair a shot. Thanks!

G

GuestK0087

Ah, thanks for the link. I don't have TEP and it's out of warranty but I'll give Sprint repair a shot. Thanks!

I have TEP but that never even came up. I never filed a claim. They originally wanted me to go to a Sprint store to have a tech look at it but I complained that the nearest store is an hour away. So they took my word, after explaining what was happening, and sent me a new (refurbished) EVO and then I sent them the old one in the package they provided with the new one. This was back in November of 2013 and I never heard anything else about it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app