Does this thing accept USB OTG?

Search This thread

drexvil

Jul 20, 2010
I'm interested in getting this tablet to replace my laptop while traveling. I need to somehow download microSD cards full of pictures taken from my DSLR into an external 2.5" USB drive. Can somebody verify that this tablet supports OTG and if so then it has enough juice for a 2.5" hard drive (or SSD)?

Thanks.

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
All my recemt Samsung devices have supported OTG, so no reason why this one shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tryptonite

Feb 24, 2006
You can use Total Commander and the USB plug in for it and it works fine and without root.

jball

Jan 7, 2012
Amber
Stickmount Pro works the best in my opinion and allows you to use your favorite root explorer. Just create a shortcut to your home screen and when Stickmount mounts your micro drive all you have to do then is open the home screen shortcut

Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
I'm about to order a 10.5 LTE version but need confirmation that OTG is working.

Does it give enough power to get a 500GB HDD spinning up and running? Or will I need an external power source?

Many thanks in advance :)

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo

No, a regular Western Digital "My Passport" USB HDD.

My Nexus 5 provides enough power without needing a y-cable/external power. But thats probably because it has a snapdragon 800 chipset.

The Tab S uses an Exynos 5 so I'm worried it won't be able to power up the drive.

Anyone tried a USB HDD with the tab S?

Last edited:

eastpac

Nov 9, 2013
Galaxy Tab S 10.5 USB OTG works with my 32gb PNY flash drive. I formatted it first in FAT 32 and my drive was recognised instantly. You can double check if it is recognised under the 'storage' option in settings, then in the USB OTG storage tab.

Then i reformatted it in exFAT on my computer and it still works perfectly. It was instantly recognised upon plugging it into the tablet.

The USB OTB cable (micro usb to female usb) I used was a cheap generic ebay one which does the job. So yes, this device does support USB OTG natively (though I haven't tried NTFS format yet).

maxal

Jan 17, 2012
Southampton
Galaxy Tab S 10.5 USB OTG works with my 32gb PNY flash drive. I formatted it first in FAT 32 and my drive was recognised instantly. You can double check if it is recognised under the 'storage' option in settings, then in the USB OTG storage tab.

Then i reformatted it in exFAT on my computer and it still works perfectly. It was instantly recognised upon plugging it into the tablet.

The USB OTB cable (micro usb to female usb) I used was a cheap generic ebay one which does the job. So yes, this device does support USB OTG natively (though I haven't tried NTFS format yet).

I can also confirm what you are saying is true USB OTG works on my T-800

clemson.agr

Dec 20, 2014
You can use Total Commander and the USB plug in for it and it works fine and without root.

This post was from 2014. Is your OTG still working? Mine was working up until about a year ago and now it doesn't work. I am on version 6.0.1 with the SM-T705, not rooted. I have tried using the Total Commander with USB plug in, but the tablet doesn't recognize the 16 GB USB drive at all. Any other suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm interested in getting this tablet to replace my laptop while traveling. I need to somehow download microSD cards full of pictures taken from my DSLR into an external 2.5" USB drive. Can somebody verify that this tablet supports OTG and if so then it has enough juice for a 2.5" hard drive (or SSD)?

Thanks.
    I'm about to order a 10.5 LTE version but need confirmation that OTG is working.

Does it give enough power to get a 500GB HDD spinning up and running? Or will I need an external power source?

you mean SDD ??