CyanogenMod 7 for Captivate Q&A

Search This thread

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
It was mentioned in another post that Nexus S modems are compatible with I897.
What's the advantage of those modems over native Captivate modems ?

This is the thread about the Nexus modems:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1493225

I've been testing them out lately, with bad luck. They don't seem to work for everyone. Also, they don't have 850 band, which is important to many, but some have reported getting exceptional service. Data speeds are okay but not the best it seems. However, people say the sound quality is great, but I didn't really notice much in a side to side comparison.

So try at your own risk.

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne
I've been testing them out lately, with bad luck. They don't seem to work for everyone. Also, they don't have 850 band, which is important to many, but some have reported getting exceptional service. Data speeds are okay but not the best it seems. However, people say the sound quality is great, but I didn't really notice much in a side to side comparison.

So try at your own risk.

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate

I don't need band 850 so I think I'll try out those modems.

GravityBoots

Oct 7, 2010
Here's my problem, I keep all my music on the external sd card and for some reason my captivate keeps randomly adding multiple versions of the same files everytime I pull up a directory, however there's only one version on the SD card, and it always just skips over the seemingly blank versions when I actually select a file.

Is there any file I need to wipe in order to fix this?

Last edited:

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne
I'm not surprised, I wouldn't expect those modems to work. Any modem should work fine. It's a matter of trial and error

Sent from my ICS Samsung Captivate

A few of the modem I've tried cause the sound quality on the other end of the call to sound like I'm calling from a cave. Why is that happening ?
It is not clear to me if some of the modems are pre-set to utilize only certain frequencies and not ANY frequency supported by the hardware.
Is it possible that a modem was created for a specific carrier and thus only supports the frequencies used by that carrier?
Is there an app or any other way to check what GSM & 3G bands are actually being used by the modem in real time ?

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
Some modems just don't sound very good, I think it's just that sure of them don't really do well with the audio hardware, or different bands are being used. They probably are carrier designed, but many carriers share the same frequencies. A modem from a different carrier could even work better for you. You can monitor/change the frequencies by using service mode. It should be *#*#0011#*#* to view current status, and *#*#2263#*#* for band selection

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne
Some modems just don't sound very good, I think it's just that sure of them don't really do well with the audio hardware, or different bands are being used. They probably are carrier designed, but many carriers share the same frequencies. A modem from a different carrier could even work better for you. You can monitor/change the frequencies by using service mode. It should be *#*#0011#*#* to view current status, and *#*#2263#*#* for band selection

I'm not sure the service mode is supported by CM7 or is it modem specific ?
Back in Froyo days I had a I9000 based rom where service mode did work.
Now with CM7 none of the modems seem to support service mode.

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
I'm not sure the service mode is supported by CM7 or is it modem specific ?
Back in Froyo days I had a I9000 based rom where service mode did work.
Now with CM7 none of the modems seem to support service mode.

Perhaps the codes are different. I know they are listed somewhere.

jw111

Dec 5, 2008
CM7.2 RC2 Video Out Not Working for Videos

I have CyanogenMod 7.2 RC 2 installed on my Captivate. When I connect the video cable to a screen and enable video out then I can see all the screens like home screen etc fine. I can see photos in gallery fine also. If I try to play any movies back then I do not see anything on the external screen even though they show up fine on the phone screen.

The odd thing is that if I touch the phone screen so the fast forward, reverse, pause buttons and slider come up then I do see those on the external monitor, but the video is blank even though I do see it on my phone.

I am using NTSC.

The video out was working fine with the stock gingerbread rom that I was previously using.

Any ideas or is this a bug?

tanujt

Jun 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Noob question: Why is it that a lot of ROMs (Apex, Serendipity, Fasty II etc) ask you to flash to a stock ROM first, if you have CM7 installed? This has proved a little problematic for me, as I'm on a Mac and somehow none of the Heimdall one-click stock "jar"s never discover my Samsun Captivate connected in the download mode.

What happens if I flash a new ROM directly from CWM without flashing back to a stock first?

Gromlakh

Aug 7, 2011
Noob question: Why is it that a lot of ROMs (Apex, Serendipity, Fasty II etc) ask you to flash to a stock ROM first, if you have CM7 installed? This has proved a little problematic for me, as I'm on a Mac and somehow none of the Heimdall one-click stock "jar"s never discover my Samsun Captivate connected in the download mode.

What happens if I flash a new ROM directly from CWM without flashing back to a stock first?

CyanogenMOD uses a completely different partition structure than Samsung does for its OS. If you try to flash a Samsung-based custom ROM over a CyanogenMOD install via CWM, it won't work. That could mean anything from basically nothing happens to soft bricking your phone,I don't know because I've never tried it. But it definitely won't work.

You have to flash some kind of stock Samsung firmware first so that your partition structure will get put back in the right order, then you can flash. It doesn't matter which stock package you use.

Sent via Captivate (powered by CyanogenMOD)

Threezees

Dec 28, 2010
Notifications

Hi - I've got a goofy question. This isn't really a big deal, but I'm a bit OCD and it's kind of been driving me nuts. I'm running Cyanogenmod 7.2 StableMod. For some reason, my notification sounds are out of alphabetical order, which kind of makes finding them a pain. I've tried clearing the Media Storage, caches, you name it. It seems to put any new ones that I get under the last set notification sound... i.e., last using "Incoming Message", it will place the new ones (such as ones starting with the letter Z) directly below that and then move on to the letter J. I'm not sure if it's a bug with CM or what, but although it's a minor issue it still drives me nuts. Just wondering if there's a way to re-initialize them or something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike_RC

Jun 29, 2012
Toronto
CM7.2 Capacitive Button Issue

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the captivate but have flashed many roms before without issue. I recently tried several tutorials(see below) and all of them have the same problem. Everything on the ROM works except the capacitive buttons(menu, home, back, search).

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Captivate:_Full_Update_Guide
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1350266
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBPu-GqM9RE

A couple strange things happened:

1. I flashed the Glitch Kernel V13.1, after the above tutorials, then the buttons worked for a while then one day just stopped working again. Have tried applying it again and restoring nandroids of the time when it was working but this did not help.

2. I went to activate the virtual keyboard, then chose the android default keyboad and the buttons started working until I rebooted the phone, then it never worked again.

3. Going back to stock fixes the buttons. So I know it's not a hardware problem.

Please let me know what I need to do to fix the buttons or if you need any more info!

Thanks in advanced,
Mike

Edit: Just to clarify the problem with the capacitive buttons starts right after I flash the latest stable cm7.2 build. I'm trying to figure out a way to get cm7.2 working with or without Glitch kernel

Last edited:

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the captivate but have flashed many roms before without issue. I recently tried several tutorials(see below) and all of them have the same problem. Everything on the ROM works except the capacitive buttons(menu, home, back, search).

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Captivate:_Full_Update_Guide
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1350266
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBPu-GqM9RE

A couple strange things happened:

1. I flashed the Glitch Kernel V13.1, after the above tutorials, then the buttons worked for a while then one day just stopped working again. Have tried applying it again and restoring nandroids of the time when it was working but this did not help.

2. I went to activate the virtual keyboard, then chose the android default keyboad and the buttons started working until I rebooted the phone, then it never worked again.

3. Going back to stock fixes the buttons. So I know it's not a hardware problem.

Please let me know what I need to do to fix the buttons or if you need any more info!

Thanks in advanced,
Mike

Hmm... I feel like there was a released version that had this issue. You may want to read the last few pages of the Glitch thread to see if you can find any posts regarding the issue.

Reactions: Mike_RC

Mike_RC

Jun 29, 2012
Toronto
Hmm... I feel like there was a released version that had this issue. You may want to read the last few pages of the Glitch thread to see if you can find any posts regarding the issue.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll check out the Glitch thread. Let me clarify my first question a bit, the capacitive buttons didn't work after flashing latest stable cm7.2. So I'm wondering if there is another fix unrelated to the glitch kernel? I only mentioned the Glitch kernel cause it seemed to fix cm7 for a little bit.

Thanks again!

Edit: After Checking the Glitch kernel threads all I could find were problems related to Back Light Notifications(using the capacitive buttons back lights for notifications) not problems with actually using the buttons.

Last edited:

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks for letting me know. I'll check out the Glitch thread. Let me clarify my first question a bit, the capacitive buttons didn't work after flashing latest stable cm7.2. So I'm wondering if there is another fix unrelated to the glitch kernel? I only mentioned the Glitch kernel cause it seemed to fix cm7 for a little bit.

Thanks again!

That's weird that it worked for a while. I believe the glitch issue was that they didn't work at all, so you must have a different issue. Perhaps you should try going back to stock, and doing everything from scratch again to rule out anything that may have gone wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I897

Mike_RC

Jun 29, 2012
Toronto
That's weird that it worked for a while. I believe the glitch issue was that they didn't work at all, so you must have a different issue. Perhaps you should try going back to stock, and doing everything from scratch again to rule out anything that may have gone wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I897

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried from stock 3 times(with each of the above methods). Each time I flashed the stock 2.1 rom with Odin 1.7(not one-click), 512pit, and csc file. Then if the procedure called for gingerbread bootloaders I flashed stock gingerbread(just as pda through odin). Then I followed the above 3 guides. Please let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

I am very happy with the performance with this ROM. But there are things I miss in certain apps.

I really liked the stock Calendar, Contacts, Clock/Alarm and the Calculator.

I did a search but was unable to find . How can I get just those specific apps back?

Thanks,

EDIT:
    Add Camera app to this list as well. This one does not seem to have Panorama mode...

Unfortunately those same Samsung apps wont work with this ROM, but that's kind of the idea behind CM7- take out all the "fancy" features and give the user bare bone apps that work well. And what you get in the end is an ultra fast ROM, super snappy navigation, and a clean look. I miss some of those features too but the benefits of CM7 far outweigh that of Samsung ROMs. ..for me anyway :p

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
    CyanogenMod 7 (w/ Gingerbread 2.3.4) for Galaxy S

The only rule of CyanogenMod: you don't ask for ETAs. You install, your warranty is void.

Warning : Not for new users, flash this build only if you know what you are doing !!!

INSTRUCTIONS:

INSTRUCTIONS:

Latest version: http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=captivatemtd

Check the md5sum if you want to be sure that the download worked (different OSes have different programs that do md5, on ubuntu it is md5sum that you run against the zip you download and compare to the md5sum number shown on the download website). ROMManager does this automatically for ROMs you download via ROMManager.

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

Easy way:
    1. Start with a rooted Eclair/Froyo running Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders (do not ask us how to do this).
    2. Install ROMManager Premium.
    3. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 2.x).
    4. Make sure you can reboot into ClockworkMod recovery from ROMManager. Reboot and get back into ROMManager Premium.
    5. Choose download ROMs.
    6. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    7. Check the Google Apps addon.
    8. Check Backup current ROM!
    9. Check wipe data, cache, dalvik cache.
    10. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Harder way:

1. Make sure you're running a Eclair/Froyo Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) and Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders!
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid backup!
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally install the Google Addon (through ROMManager is easiest)

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
    1. Install ROMManager Premium.
    2. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 3.x).
    3. Choose Download ROMs.
    4. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    5. Check the Google Apps addon.
    6. Check Backup current ROM!
    7. Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
    8. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:

1. Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    4. Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for MTD devices, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps.

FAQ (Please Read!!)

Q: I don't have working three button recovery, is there anything I can do?
    A: There is a CWM flashable zip that should be able to fix this at 3 Button Fix. That program is not part of CyanogenMod and we do not support it.

Q: Can I flash over a previous version of CM7?
    A: If updating from an already CM7 running SGS phone, just flash the latest update zip file as it contains all the fixes from previous updates.

Q: I just installed and I don't see the Marketplace, cannot see GMail, cannot sync Contacts.
    Q: I just installed and I don't see any Google Apps.
    A: You need to install the Google apps. They are available in ROMManager. ROMManager also asks you if you want to install the Google Apps addon when you install via ROMManager.

Q: I restored from Titanium Backup but my applications are not working
    A: Do not restore system data, only restore application+user data. CM7 uses new system data and if you restore on top of it, things will not work.

Q: My battery life is simply awful, any tips?
    A: Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and GPS are major battery killers. Wi-Fi and bluetooth are particularly hungry, so turn them off when you don't need them.

Q: The phone booted but I'm not getting any signal, what gives?
    Q: My phone takes a few minutes to establish a 3g signal after I turn it on, what gives?
    A: Known issue with polling when staring up the network. Put the phone to sleep by pressing the power button and waking it up a few times and it will usually come up with a signal.

Q: I lost my SMSC information, how to I get it back?
    A: Follow these steps to restore.

Q: When will Voodoo sound/color/sharpness be integrated?
    A: Maybe some parts will be integrated someday, but there some UNSUPPORTED kernels available on the threads that do this already. Please direct any issues related to these to the appropriate developers, not us.

Q: Your notification toggles are different than mine, how can I change them?
    A: Go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Notification power widget, Widget buttons

Q: I really miss the accurate battery mods, can I flash these?
    A: No, but you can go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Status bar tweaks, "Battery percentage"

Q: Where can I get themes for this?
    A: A quick search for "theme engine" on the market will produce a number of results, but there are some in the general Android Themes section

Q: Can I use the video player/music player/contacts/phone/launcher from a Samsung ROM?
    A: No, anything hooking into Samsung's framework will not work on this ROM, there are plenty of alternatives in the market.

Q: Where can I get the Nexus S drivers?
    A: Download and install the Android SDK here then download "Google USB Driver package, revision 4"
    Once downloaded, right click on "Computer", "Manage", "Device Manager", "Nexus S", "Update Driver Software", and point it to wherever you isntalled the SDK

Q: How do I go back to a Samsung stock ROM?
    A: The easiest way is to go back to stock using Odin and flashing a full firmware (including PIT file) with repartition checked (Odin One-Click does this by default on Captivate)

Q: Can I use ROM Manager to install or back up this ROM?
    A: Yes.

Q: Why do I not see the nightlies in ROM Manager?
    A: Nightly builds are only visible in the premium version of ROM Manager. Koush, the developer of ROM Manager is a key reason behind Galaxy S phones having CM7. You can buy it to show your support.

Q: The phone turns on whenever I plug it in, is there any way to prevent this?
    A: This is also related to the kernel and for now is an annoying side effect we have to put up with.

Q: Why can't I play .avi or .mkv files? They worked fine with Samsung's ROM.
    A: Due to codec licensing issues, this can't be provided out of the box. Several apps from the marketplace should be able to replicate this feature (such as RockPlayer)

Q: How do I flash a different modem? The one included doesn't work well with my phone.
    A: Other modems are available here
    Please do not attempt to flash ones from other threads as they use a different method of installing not compatible with our ROM.

Q: Can I use another kernel like Speedmod with this?
    A: Yes, but you have to make sure it is compatible. We do not support any kernels except the one we install.

Q: GTalk doesn't work with FFC?
    A: We can either have a fully fixed camera without gtalk video chat support (samsung libcamera)
    or we can have a buggy camera with gtalk video chat support (opensource libcamera). We went with the fully working camera without GTalk FFC support. Once we have updated libs from Samsung for camera, it'll work.

Q: I encountered a bug, how do I find out if it's known and where can I report it?
    A: You can look through the issue tracker here. If you do not see your issue, please report it. If someone else has it, please star it (but please do not file "Me too!" reports). Try to also attach the logcat output and last_kmsg to the bug report by:
    Code:
    desktop$ adb logcat > logcat.txt
    desktop$ adb shell
    # cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg (only if you had crash/reboot)
    # dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
    # exit
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg .
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/dmesg.txt .

Attach the logcat.txt and last_kmsg files to the bug report. Of course, you need to have the android SDK installed to do this.
    @Kaik541

"flipfonts from the market (and other sources) will not work this ROM as it is not a Samsung ROM. if you want to change your font, use "Font Changer" from the marketplace and supply a ttf font file you want (may free ones available on www.dafont.com)"

i just installed font changer, it gave me many warnings, those possible problems, are they are present in CM7?

there's always the risk of breaking something when replacing fonts, just do a nandroid before and restore if it fails.

Same here. Can't change anything.

try clearing cache in recovery or launcher defaults... and if you're using ADW, make sure you haven't "locked" the screen
    Uploaded new 20110506 update. Notice that initial install is different and much easier now as well. Changelog in first post on the development thread.
    Noticed something interesting.

I just downloaded todays (the March 9th) update onto my PC and then bluetoothed it to my Captivate.

The Captivate is not uploaded yet. We are testing it to make sure it behaves the same as on Galaxy S. I will update the thread header when there is a new build with a date for the "current best build date"