How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Ok, From now on if i see people asking how to update / how to keep root im going to link you to this thread, im tired of answering it.

This works if you are on STOCK RECOVERY. If you are unlocked there are lots of other options for you (such as flashing a rooted kernel) so go to development and find that. Since im not unlocked i had to do it the hard way. This method works if your OTA updates are screwed up. If you HAVE OTA updates you can just use OTA rootkeeper to backup and disable root, make sure all stock apps are restored, and proceed with root.

Note for the updater: The OTA updater is a DIFFERENCE updater, if files are missing or different versions the update will fail. Best practices say to update sequentially, never skip an update. It might not cause problems now but could cause problems in the future.

If your OTA updates have failed or for whatever reason you can not get OTA's, you have a LOCKED bootloader, or for whatever reason want to manually update and keep root then this guide is for you. Also please note the process for going from .16 to .18 is the same as going from .30 to .16.

First: Make sure you have all stock apps restored, no custom build.prop, etc.
If your not sure, wipe the tablet and reinstall. Better safe than sorry.

To reset the tablet if you dont have stock apps:
Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
plug your tablet into the usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB memory sticks or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

Make sure you are ROOTED. Use whatever method works for you.
Now would be a good time to make sure superuser is updated, mine was old so a quick update on the market and its all good.
Use OTA Rootkeeper to backup root
Download the DLPKG file apropriate for your version.

If you want to update to JB you must have .30 installed and download the .16 file, WW or US, depending on your region. Other packages are provided for convenience (This method can be used to spoof the OTA update to any version as long as you have the file)

DLPKG for .26 WW HERE
DLPKG for .30 WW HERE
DLPKG for .16 WW HERE or HERE or HERE
DLPKG for .16 US HERE or HERE
DLPKG for .18 WW HERE or HERE
DLPKG for .18 US HERE or HERE
(Make sure you only take the file for the version you want to update to, only one step at a time, so if you are on .30 WW you need .16WW before you can do .18WW)
DLPKG for US .20 HERE
DLPKG for WW .20 HERE
DLPKG for US .23 HERE or HERE or HERE or HERE
DLPKG for WW .23 HERE
DLPKG for .25 WW HERE

You will also need the command file HERE or HERE

Transfer the files to your tablet using the USB cable.
If you use a USB memory stick or SD card make sure its formatted FAT32.
Please note there have been reported problems with people using USB memory sticks or SD cards, often the files fail. I have had best success using the USB cable provided with my tablet and directly transferring the file. YMMV.
Once the files are on the tablet use Root Explorer or your favorite root file browser to move the two files
(NOT THE STOCK FILE BROWSER IT CANT SEE THE ROOT DIRECTORY)
"command" goes to /cache/recovery
"dlpkgfile" goes to /cache

Make sure the files are named exactly as shown above. No capitals, no file extensions, etc.
Make sure the permissions for both files are changed to RW-R-R for both.
Note: There has been a little confusion about "root directory" so i will explain a little further. The root directory is generally protected. You will have to be rooted (by definition, having root access, kind of like administrator access in windows) and use a file browser like root explorer. The stock file browser only lets you see a few specific areas and will not let you access the root directory of the tablet. Root explorer will also let you modify permissions which the stock browser will not let you do. Im sure there are other browser applications that work equally well as root explorer, thats just the one i have had success with. As always, Your Milage May Vary.

Go into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.
Shut down the tablet. Remove the USB cord. Remove any USB memory sticks. Eject your Micro SD card. UNdock the tablet. Lets not let anything go to chance.
Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons (volume down is closest to the power button in case you forgot like me)
Soon as the splash screen comes up you should see some text on the left side, release the power and volume down buttons and press volume up.
Now just sit back and wait, this can take a while. I got myself a snack and took this time to stretch a little.
Once your all booted up you should be running JellyBean. Open OTA Rootkeeper and restore root.

Please note i did not come up with the steps in this guide. I did not originate the files. I am nowhere near smart enough to do all this on my own. I meerly collected the information and links to files and pieced it all together. I wrote this so even my father could follow these instructions so hopefully you all succeed! If something needs clarification please let me know.

- Edit -
Added notes on restoring tablet to stock.
- Edit -
Added .18 links. Thanks to xcal321 for providing them.
- Edit -
Cleaned up the guide a little. Hopefully its less wordy and easier to follow.
- Edit -
Added links to my personal google drive for nearly all the files, should have no problem for overseas users with limited access to mediafire :)
- Edit -
Sorry it took so long, added files for .20 US and WW. Will copy them to my personal Gdrive when i have more time.
- Edit -
Still alive, added .25 WW. Nearly all the files are uploaded to my personal google docs account so if something goes screwy let me know via PM

Last edited:

doncieslacco

Jan 21, 2009
That is very helpfull !! Thanks for that !! Just one question: What about if I downgrade to .30 with clean system, root my device, update superuser app, then use OTA Rootkeeper to backup my root, next Temp unroot via OTA Rootkeeper and use upgrade to JB with OTA (not using files that you put above )?? It still works, any ideas ??

Regards
Doncieslacco

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
That is very helpfull !! Thanks for that !! Just one question: What about if I downgrade to .30 with clean system, root my device, update superuser app, then use OTA Rootkeeper to backup my root, next Temp unroot via OTA Rootkeeper and use upgrade to JB with OTA (not using files that you put above )?? It still works, any ideas ??

Regards
Doncieslacco

If OTA works for you after that then use OTA. For a large portion of us OTA did not want to work so these are the steps i used. Essentially its the same thing, OTA downloads the same files and puts them in the directories mentioned. Just make sure you do the temp unroot before updating as forgetting to do that step has lost some people root.

Reactions: Nazeroth

Syn010

Aug 6, 2012
This method never worked for me, even when it was originally posted. I keep getting the dead android bot red triangle.
It may be that I'm moving the files from win 7 NTFS to fat 32 and that is somehow modifing them???

Also is there a way on android to check/modify write permission? I just modify write permissions of the files by right clicking them and modifying them from the security tab in windows.
I'll have to examine this in further detail this week.

I'm a bit hesitant to jump to JB because of rooting and DPI setting problems. Until thats ironed out I'll stick with ICS.

Last edited:

john85D

Aug 17, 2011
Did it twice but was unsuccesful. When the whole process completed I was back on .30 and couldn't restore root. Any suggestions?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
This method never worked for me, even when it was originally posted. I keep getting the dead android bot red triangle.
It may be that I'm moving the files from win 7 NTFS to fat 32 and that is somehow modifing them???

Also is there a way on android to check/modify write permission? I just modify write permissions of the files by right clicking them and modifying them from the security tab in windows.

I'm a bit hesitant to jump to JB because of rooting and DPI setting problems. Until thats ironed out I'll stick with ICS.

It's very possible that the issue with your sd card, make sure it's 32gb or smaller, find another sd card reformat with fat32 and try again. tf700 could read your card while it's on but not in recovery mode.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Did it twice but was unsuccesful. When the whole process completed I was back on .30 and couldn't restore root. Any suggestions?

are you unlock or locked? did you try to upgrade from .30 to JB?

john85D

Aug 17, 2011
It's very possible that the issue with your sd card, make sure it's 32gb or smaller, find another sd card reformat with fat32 and try again. tf700 could read your card while it's on but not in recovery mode.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

are you unlock or locked? did you try to upgrade from .30 to JB?

I'm unlocked and started the process on. 30 rooted. I did downgrade from JB though and wanted to be rooted again. Should I try to upgrade to JB manually? How should it update to JB, OTA download?

Syn010

Aug 6, 2012

I used a USB cable 2.0 to transfer the files directly to tablet. Also, the cache folder is created on the root level of the tablet right, because originally I never had a cache folder on the tablet at the root level. thanks and cheers.

Jimmah555

Jul 27, 2009
Las Vegas
Here's what I did, and it worked beautifully.

I had unlocked with the guide, rooted .30, ran OTA root keeper, downloaded the JB file from Asus, flashed it in twrp, never lost root :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Here's what I did, and it worked beautifully.
I had unlocked with the guide, rooted .30, ran OTA root keeper, downloaded the JB file from Asus, flashed it in twrp, never lost root :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

TWRP implies unlocked, this method is for locked bootloaders.

If you are still getting the dead android try restoring the tablet to factory condition before proceeding. If you have any frozen apps, if you removed any stock apps, if you have a modified build.prop, etc. it can cause the update to fail.

i will update OP with instructions to return to stock.

pileot

Oct 16, 2010

Windows security and linux permissions are two VERY different things.
Use something like root explorer to modify the permissions of the files once they are on the tablet. Once you transfer the files to your SD card or even via USB to the tablet the permissions get changed to RW-RW-RW or similar. As far as i know you can not do this in windows.

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
I used a USB cable 2.0 to transfer the files directly to tablet. Also, the cache folder is created on the root level of the tablet right, because originally I never had a cache folder on the tablet at the root level. thanks and cheers.

Use an application like root explorer. Regular file explorers can not usually see the root directory of the tablet. If you are just using the stock file browser it will not work.

-lukin-

Jan 4, 2012

Thanks for the OP. I am having trouble getting the JB OTA.

I am running rooted and locked at .30 with some minor tweaks using Titanium backup. Those tweaks are removing ASUS and Google bloat app. In order to get JB OTA, do I have to reinstall the bloat apps or reflash .30? Does all the stupid bloat have to be there for OTA to occur? If so, I hate that.

Last edited:

pladoog

Oct 6, 2012
everytime i do, i get back to .30 and when i check /cache

dlpkgfile still there with rw-r-r
but command in /cache/recovery/ disappear

what i mistaken?

HeartWare42

Jul 17, 2012
Bagsværd
www.heartware.dk
Does all the stupid bloat have to be there for OTA to occur?

Yes. Since the OTA is a "difference file patcher", the original files need to be where they are expected to be, otherwise the instructions as to which areas of which files should be patched with which values will be invalid. There is no way a difference file patcher can operate if the files are missing or modified - it's in the nature of the beast.

That's why the only option for people who have modified their /system partition is to reflash the entire /system partition (ie. a full update, not one that relies on what is already there).

The reason for using a difference file patcher is that the update will be much smaller if it only contains the differences from the existing setup instead of a completely new file. The downside is that the existing contents needs to be present and unmodified.

-lukin-

Jan 4, 2012
Yes. Since the OTA is a "difference file patcher", the original files need to be where they are expected to be, otherwise the instructions as to which areas of which files should be patched with which values will be invalid. There is no way a difference file patcher can operate if the files are missing or modified - it's in the nature of the beast.

That's why the only option for people who have modified their /system partition is to reflash the entire /system partition (ie. a full update, not one that relies on what is already there).

The reason for using a difference file patcher is that the update will be much smaller if it only contains the differences from the existing setup instead of a completely new file. The downside is that the existing contents needs to be present and unmodified.

Makes sense, thanks for the the concise explanation.

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY
Thank you so very much. kept trying to root jelly bean before, and ended up bricking tab somehow. thankfully best buy exchanged under factory defect cause after bricking, it got super HOT. I'll donate some adult beverage money when i get paid.
thank you again.

StiiLe

Dec 25, 2010
Hello !

First of all, thank you for your post.

I have a question "Yes or No". I translated your method (thank you again) in french for the french users, and I told them that they could unlock the bootloader once the firmware is back to ICS (.30). I am not sure about it, I would like you to confirm this ?
Then the method would be :
Downgrade to ICS (v9.4.5.30 WW)
Root with RootDebugfs.bat
Unlock Bootloader
Temp unroot with OTARootKeeper
Upgrade to JB (v10.4.4.16 WW) with OTA
Restore root with OTARootKeeper​

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, From now on if i see people asking how to update / how to keep root im going to link you to this thread, im tired of answering it.

This works if you are on STOCK RECOVERY. If you are unlocked there are lots of other options for you (such as flashing a rooted kernel) so go to development and find that. Since im not unlocked i had to do it the hard way. This method works if your OTA updates are screwed up. If you HAVE OTA updates you can just use OTA rootkeeper to backup and disable root, make sure all stock apps are restored, and proceed with root.

Note for the updater: The OTA updater is a DIFFERENCE updater, if files are missing or different versions the update will fail. Best practices say to update sequentially, never skip an update. It might not cause problems now but could cause problems in the future.

If your OTA updates have failed or for whatever reason you can not get OTA's, you have a LOCKED bootloader, or for whatever reason want to manually update and keep root then this guide is for you. Also please note the process for going from .16 to .18 is the same as going from .30 to .16.

To reset the tablet if you dont have stock apps:
    Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
    Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
    plug your tablet into the usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB memory sticks or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
    restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
    If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
    Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

Make sure you are ROOTED. Use whatever method works for you.
    Now would be a good time to make sure superuser is updated, mine was old so a quick update on the market and its all good.
    Use OTA Rootkeeper to backup root
    Download the DLPKG file apropriate for your version.

If you want to update to JB you must have .30 installed and download the .16 file, WW or US, depending on your region. Other packages are provided for convenience (This method can be used to spoof the OTA update to any version as long as you have the file)

DLPKG for .26 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .30 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .16 WW HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .16 US HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 WW HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 US HERE or HERE
    (Make sure you only take the file for the version you want to update to, only one step at a time, so if you are on .30 WW you need .16WW before you can do .18WW)
    DLPKG for US .20 HERE
    DLPKG for WW .20 HERE
    DLPKG for US .23 HERE or HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for WW .23 HERE
    DLPKG for .25 WW HERE

You will also need the command file HERE or HERE

Transfer the files to your tablet using the USB cable.
    If you use a USB memory stick or SD card make sure its formatted FAT32.
    Please note there have been reported problems with people using USB memory sticks or SD cards, often the files fail. I have had best success using the USB cable provided with my tablet and directly transferring the file. YMMV.
    Once the files are on the tablet use Root Explorer or your favorite root file browser to move the two files
    (NOT THE STOCK FILE BROWSER IT CANT SEE THE ROOT DIRECTORY)
    "command" goes to /cache/recovery
    "dlpkgfile" goes to /cache

Make sure the files are named exactly as shown above. No capitals, no file extensions, etc.
    Make sure the permissions for both files are changed to RW-R-R for both.
    Note: There has been a little confusion about "root directory" so i will explain a little further. The root directory is generally protected. You will have to be rooted (by definition, having root access, kind of like administrator access in windows) and use a file browser like root explorer. The stock file browser only lets you see a few specific areas and will not let you access the root directory of the tablet. Root explorer will also let you modify permissions which the stock browser will not let you do. Im sure there are other browser applications that work equally well as root explorer, thats just the one i have had success with. As always, Your Milage May Vary.

Go into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.
    Shut down the tablet. Remove the USB cord. Remove any USB memory sticks. Eject your Micro SD card. UNdock the tablet. Lets not let anything go to chance.
    Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons (volume down is closest to the power button in case you forgot like me)
    Soon as the splash screen comes up you should see some text on the left side, release the power and volume down buttons and press volume up.
    Now just sit back and wait, this can take a while. I got myself a snack and took this time to stretch a little.
    Once your all booted up you should be running JellyBean. Open OTA Rootkeeper and restore root.

Please note i did not come up with the steps in this guide. I did not originate the files. I am nowhere near smart enough to do all this on my own. I meerly collected the information and links to files and pieced it all together. I wrote this so even my father could follow these instructions so hopefully you all succeed! If something needs clarification please let me know.

- Edit -
    Added notes on restoring tablet to stock.
    - Edit -
    Added .18 links. Thanks to xcal321 for providing them.
    - Edit -
    Cleaned up the guide a little. Hopefully its less wordy and easier to follow.
    - Edit -
    Added links to my personal google drive for nearly all the files, should have no problem for overseas users with limited access to mediafire :)
    - Edit -
    Sorry it took so long, added files for .20 US and WW. Will copy them to my personal Gdrive when i have more time.
    - Edit -
    Still alive, added .25 WW. Nearly all the files are uploaded to my personal google docs account so if something goes screwy let me know via PM
    OK, got the file. Confirmed 9.4.5.30 --> 10.4.4.25 Direct update.

Note: This is for US Eepad only!!!!

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34vg63e3sdee/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_4_25_dlpkg.zip
    How can I get the dlpkgfile Version 10.4.4.23 WW?

Isn't it possible to receive the files regular via OTA from Asus step by step?

Right here bro!
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ausece6a7246wci
    dlpkg batch file

did anyone else write a batchfile to semi-automate the dlpkg update?
    below are the commands i put in a batchfile. I created it initially because i had to downgrade to ICS to root then upgraded all the way. I was tired of typing in the commands.
    Note there are 2 batches, the SDcard location changed when it updates to JB.
    Hope it helps

------ ICS Commands:
    adb push command /sdcard/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /sdcard/command
    adb shell rm /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"

------- Jelly Bean Commands:
    adb push command /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"

Regards
    Doncieslacco

If OTA works for you after that then use OTA. For a large portion of us OTA did not want to work so these are the steps i used. Essentially its the same thing, OTA downloads the same files and puts them in the directories mentioned. Just make sure you do the temp unroot before updating as forgetting to do that step has lost some people root.