T-Mobile new policy on trading phones with other T-Mobile customers

Search This thread

handman29

Feb 21, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
I've been a T-Mobile customer for 9 years and enjoy trading phones, recently I traded to an S4, my S4 was traded from my brother who bought the phone from a T-Mobile corporate store 3 months prior and the store manager to me it was told it is perfectly OK to trade phones. About a month ago the S4 charging port stopped working and I was given a warranty replacement by customer care with no hassles. Well today I was contacted by T-Mobile executive responce team saying it was against T-Mobile policy to trade phones and is not allowed and that they never received my S4 with the broken charging port even thought I got the text saying it was received. I was called a lier and that I was manipulating there warranty. She said that I never sent the phone. 5 minutes later she verified T-Mobile received the phone. Now T-Mobile said I cannot trade phones or file any warranty claims because I manipulated the warranty...can they do this??? Help

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
I think they meant trading phones and then claiming warranties on them? There's nothing wrong with trading phones

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Hardcore69er

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia, South Carolina
twitter.com
I don't see how you can keep a warranty when you trade phones with somebody outside of your plan.

Within the plan they shouldn't hassle you.

Outside the plan?? well who's to say the previous owner purchased the insurance/warranty?

I work retail. Automotive at Firestone. If you sell your car to someone else we can't repair the work we did to YOUR car for free. Unless it's family.

It just makes sense to warranty what YOU purchased. Not anyone else. Granted trading phones of equal value doesn't really look like it'd make a difference but they don't know that.

This is why 99% of the retail stores ask for the original receipt and your drivers license. The ID and the card/receipt should match up. It is labeled on every receipt.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I think what happened was you traded your phone, then used your warranty to cover a phone you did not pay for. Thats the way they are looking at it.They see it as you took another device, then used the warranty that originally came with your device to get the traded device replaced.

What would have been easier was to have your brother file the warranty claim then he would be getting warranty on a device he originally paid for, then give the new device back to you.

As stated above, when the device leaves the original plan it was purchased under, the warranty is now void. This is why i don't buy new phones off craigslist of ebay.

ShinySide

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 30, 2013
IHB
I think what happened was you traded your phone, then used your warranty to cover a phone you did not pay for. Thats the way they are looking at it.They see it as you took another device, then used the warranty that originally came with your device to get the traded device replaced.

What would have been easier was to have your brother file the warranty claim then he would be getting warranty on a device he originally paid for, then give the new device back to you.

As stated above, when the device leaves the original plan it was purchased under, the warranty is now void. This is why i don't buy new phones off craigslist of ebay.

+1

You can't buy a hammer drill at a pawn shop and get it replaced by factory. Warranties are on a original purchaser basis only.

If they weren't I'd be buying broken Craigslist phones all day for 100 and having them replaced and making 150 more than I paid for it when reselling.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk