In your opinion, how does the new Note compare to its predecessor? Worth it or not?

Search This thread

BclingergFJ

Sep 28, 2008
I uninstalled the hack and got the repeats again, the first keystroke replaced. Installed External Keyboard Helper Pro and still repeats. Uninstalled. Installed Null Keyboard Method and gosh, no repeats. Again, not an issue on the Note 2012.

Sent via my Note 8

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
And I love the new Book Cover. It uses magnets to stay closed (the N10.1-12's flopped around)

Are you sure about that?? I have the official Note 10.1 2014 book cover and there's certainly no magnets in that. I thought I was going crazy, but reviews state the same thing.... "Relatively simple in design, the book cover bears a slight resemblance to Apple's smart covers, though there's no magnetic attachment, and you'll have difficulty using it for anything besides keeping the screen clear of knocks and scratches".

Is yours official? :)

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Are you sure about that?? I have the official Note 10.1 2014 book cover and there's certainly no magnets in that. I thought I was going crazy, but reviews state the same thing.... "Relatively simple in design, the book cover bears a slight resemblance to Apple's smart covers, though there's no magnetic attachment, and you'll have difficulty using it for anything besides keeping the screen clear of knocks and scratches".

Is yours official? :)

Here's some pics. They're kind of dark so the magnets might be difficult to see. You can see them on your own N10.1-14 by putting brightness to 100% on a white background and closing the cover. You'll have to hit the home button with the cover closed to turn it back on again.

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
Here's some pics. They're kind of dark so the magnets might be difficult to see. You can see them on your own N10.1-14 by putting brightness to 100% on a white background and closing the cover. You'll have to hit the home button with the cover closed to turn it back on again.

Cool - I see where they are, but that's to help keep it magnetised when the tablet is in the stand up position. How does that help keep it closed...I don't get it!

grmcrkrs

Oct 28, 2013
Waco TX
Big difference between this version and the last. This version had am actual home button, the other dies not. That's a big deal for me. I had the other one for twom days and couldn't figure out why it sucked so much, but it was because they sold me last year's model. Also, the S-Pen can be used to touch the capacitive touch buttons. Huge deal. You used top have to put the pen down or to the side to hit the back button.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
Also, the S-Pen can be used to touch the capacitive touch buttons. Huge deal. You used top have to put the pen down or to the side to hit the back button.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Eh? There were no external buttons on the Note 10.1 2012 (except power and volume). I think you're making a comparison between the Note 2 and 3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just curious on your opinion.
    My newer one is coming in the mail soon, but how does the Note 2014 compare to the 2012 edition? Worth the upgrade or not?
    Much happier, or what features do you wish it kept? Etc.

I loved my N10.1-12; until I got a N3. The 386 DPI display made the 147 PPI display on the N10.1-12 downright painful. There's really nothing I'd say I miss s/w or feature wise when compared to the N10.1-14. Multiview's completely different and S Note's been updated. You'll hear people say they like the "old way" better. While it's different, once you get use to it, Samsung's logic behind the changes starts to make sense. S Pen being relocated is great because you can access it when the tablet's standing. And I love the new Book Cover. It uses magnets to stay closed (the N10.1-12's flopped around) and you can set Daynote to open when the cover's opened which gives you an enlarged Action Memo space to begin immediately taking notes as well as displaying the weather and your day's agenda. The Book Cover also shuts down the Note when it's closed. People have said the front facing speakers of the old Note were better but I mostly use headphones and haven't noticed a big difference the times I've used the external speakers.

Here what I consider the biggest improvements between the two:

• Display. I think it's gorgeous.
    • Form factor. It's pretty amazing how much bulk and weight Samsung was able to remove.
    • Software. I like the updated apps that are common, Air Command, Scrap Book, and Action Memo and the generally more contemporary feel.
    Things I question:

• In some places, like Notification Panel icons being over 1" square, the phone UI on a tablet isn't particularly well implemented.
    • The new Note is faster than the old but not by as much as the h/w should allow. Good news is the Magazine UX-equipped units at CES looked much faster and more fluid than the N10.1-14 so performance should be addressed by updates. Pinch-zooming to display all home pages on the N10.1-14 isn't particularly pretty.
    • Battery charging on the Exynos models (P-600/P-601) is slooow - slower than the old N10.1-12. The S-800 P-605 has Qualcomm's Quick Charge feature and charges unusually fast.
    I love my N10.1-14 and have no regrets buying it.