[Q] LG G2 (D802) why to buy

Search This thread

0bu

Feb 3, 2013
Brno
Hi there mates, Id like to ask You an advice. Im going to buy a new phone today and I was all in samsungs hype and wanted Galaxy S4 as the price went down since S5 is out. Than I started to read XDA S4 threads and discover this crapy Knox thing. As rooting my device is main priority for me, so I can use my device for a specific tasks only rooted apps provide and want to be able to modify the ROMs, with Knox S4 seems to be very limited for this. I really dont care about voiding warranty, but Knox seems to be causeing a lot of faults anyway and will be improved in next android updates with Knox 2.0. So S4 is no go for me. Than I started looking for other brands and ended up with LG G2. The price is to the cent Same as S4. Hardware seems to me bit better. I really like display of G2 and the overall look, compare to cheap plastics used with S4. Also like buttons on the Back. I tried to read a lot and watched some vids of G2 on youtube, but still have few uestions.

1. Im for 32 Gb G2, haveing no slot for aditional memory Id like to know if G2 can do USB OTG, and if so can I also use classic big PC HDD?

2. Can i get rid of navbar? as Im useing IMD Gestures I Dont want navbar to take display space.

3. Rooting G2 seems to be not difficult and problematic with android 4.2.2 on it, the version i want to buy is 4.2.2.
Is that right?

4. As I love my music and have Senheiser ears, Id like to know how It sounds?

5. As comming from samsungs android and seen others and also seen lg one, I really do love its look and clearnes and easy handling. Lgs android seems to have very childish/amateurish look and messy to orient myself in it. Question is are there ROMs or MODs that can change the look and feel a bit closer to samsungs android?

6. Battery seems to be all for G2 am I right? Whatabout gaming, heard it takes a lot of battery?

7. Whatabout the display, any disadvantages?

8. How solid is it Made, can it be easily broken?

9. Anything Else I soud know? Reasons why to buy or look for any other device?

10. Whatabout updating and rooting on Kitkat?

Thanks in advance to all, for help.

Last edited:

Skolotaie

Feb 16, 2011
Herborn
Greetings :)

Well i make it Step by Step i have th G2 32 GB and use it for Everything

1.Yes the G2 Supports Usb OTG and you can use Most of the Usb Sticks and also Hdd's (Ofcourse need the Big Externals theyre Own Powersource and the 2,5" ones maybe an Additional Powered Usb Hub since the G2's Usb Port might not deliver enough Power)

2.Ofcourse but i think thats only possible if you root the Phone and Install the Xposed Framweork + G2tweakbox

3.The Rooting process is indeed Pretty Easy just Follow the Nice Tutorials you can Find in the G2' Forums ;) And 4.2.2 is okay and the 4.4.2 Update is already out too.

4.The Audio Quality is Amazing especially if you give the Audiochip the Support of the Viper 4 Android app

5.There is already a Rom Who gives a Samsung S5 Look but i think its onl for the D802 G2 Variant but there are enough Themes and Mods available to Customize it the Way you like.

6.On Android 4.2.2 the battery Life is Better than on 4.4.2 (But that depends on the usage ofcourse) On Custom Roms with the Right kernel and settings the G2's Performance Range varies but you will figure that out.

7.No Disadvantages the Display is Awesome Colors are not too Saturated (Like on many Oled/Amoled Displays)

8.Thats a thing wich made me Worry a bit,the Backside seems very Scratch Sensitive and without a Case or Bumper it can Slip out of the hand...Atleast thats how it feels like.

9.Ofcourse thats up to you and what you prefer, The G2 doesnt has a Removable battery,No Hardware Homebutton and the Buttons on the Back of the Phone are strange (My opinion) And ofcourse the lack of a Micro-Sd Card slot

10.If you Buy the phone just Update it Via the Update Section in the Settings to get KK directly from LG then you can Root it (Tutorials are available on XDA)

I hope i helped a bit and sry if my English is difficult to Understand ;)

Reactions: 0bu

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
The G2 is still cheap plastic and it's better not going without a case. This thing breaks if it's dropped :cyclops:

1. Im for 32 Gb G2, haveing no slot for aditional memory Id like to know if G2 can do USB OTG, and if so can I also use classic big PC HDD?

The LG G2 supports USB OTG but whether you can use your PC HDD is something I doubt.
2. Can i get rid of navbar? as Im useing IMD Gestures I Dont want navbar to take display space.

Yes you can. Either modify build.prop or install G2Tweaksbox. The latter is preffered.

3. Rooting G2 seems to be not difficult and problematic with android 4.2.2 on it, the version i want to buy is 4.2.2.
Is that right?

Rooting the G2 is easy as eating a pie, even on 4.4.2. Just use IORoot

Sounds great with poweramp, but don't expect good sound from the loudspeaker. It's trash.

5. As comming from samsungs android and seen others and also seen lg one, I really do love its look and clearnes and easy handling. Lgs android seems to have very childish/amateurish look and messy to orient myself in it. Question is are there ROMs or MODs that can change the look and feel a bit closer to samsungs android?

That's a matter of personal opinion. For me, the Samsung and LG roms look pretty close to eachother. With G2 Tweaksbox you can tweak most of the UI and you can also flash a "flatter" notification panel. There are plenty of mods.

6. Battery seems to be all for G2 am I right? Whatabout gaming, heard it takes a lot of battery?
Battery is great - well it used to be great prior to 4.4.2. If you wanna flash, I suggest a Cloudy rom from cloudyfa + dorimanx kernel.
Asphalt 8 drains about 10% battery per 15-20minutes of gaming.

Yeah. It looks so good that it makes you wonder if this is real life?

Yup - broken screen = broken digitizer. It feels plasticy all around and doesn't have that solid build. Just slap a case on it,

G2 gives most bang for your buck (the OPO does too but it's not avaliable yet) - so no, it's a fine choice but all a matter of personal preference

You can update it to kitkat and root - no problems.

0bu

Feb 3, 2013
Brno
Thanks for an answers so far guys. So it seems better to stick with Jelly rather than Kit kat due to its performance discutability and battery life. Im I correct?

Sent from my GT-S7562 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: vPro97

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Thanks for an answers so far guys. So it seems better to stick with Jelly rather than Kit kat due to its performance discutability and battery life. Im I correct?

Performance wise, KitKat is a lot better, but the battery is a bit worse. I'm personally on KitKat because speed is more important than 1 hour extra of screen on time. I mean, I'd spend that 1 hr extra SOT watching my phone lag so it breaks even - if you know what I mean ;)

Performance wise, KitKat is a lot better, but the battery is a bit worse. I'm personally on KitKat because speed is more important than 1 hour extra of screen on time. I mean, I'd spend that 1 hr extra SOT watching my phone lag so it breaks even - if you know what I mean ;)

I think the battery life of the G2 on kitkat will still kick the S4's butt by a margin. We have been spoiled on jellybean but with kitkat it is still far better than any smart device that I have used.

archzz

Mar 14, 2011
Valmiera
The battery life still can be improved with a custom kernel like dorimanx. For me the phone is running for 27hrs straight with wifi on all the time, got 2hrs of SOT and yet I still have 83% battery left.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: harrisnehal

0bu

Feb 3, 2013
Brno
Okay I hoped for more opinions. But seems to me I made right dicision and can do no wrong going for G2. Anyways they had only 16GB version, so I have to wait few more days till I have my hands on 32GB. Will try gather some more info, bout customs and kernels around here.

Last edited:

0bu

Feb 3, 2013
Brno
custom recovery

Hi there mates,

so I finally get my LG G2 (d802). I updated to 4.4.2 KK and rooted it with IOroot, it was oh so easy. But than I started to read about custom recoveries and it is oh so mess. I pushed twrp with adb sucesfullyl, but cant reboot into recovery because some boot error and have black screen, when i hold power button i can get in to system normally. I red about autorec, but seems to be buggy and i dont want to loose knock on. Also red about Philz and CWM, but dont want to run into some kind of trouble, so I thougt it would be wise to ask someone more experienced for an advice. Would You please be so kind and give me a helping hand on this topic? Can You recommend me a custom recovery working on 4.4.2 KK without needing to unroot and downgrade and the method to push/flash/install it?

Thanks in advance mates!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings :)

Well i make it Step by Step i have th G2 32 GB and use it for Everything

1.Yes the G2 Supports Usb OTG and you can use Most of the Usb Sticks and also Hdd's (Ofcourse need the Big Externals theyre Own Powersource and the 2,5" ones maybe an Additional Powered Usb Hub since the G2's Usb Port might not deliver enough Power)

2.Ofcourse but i think thats only possible if you root the Phone and Install the Xposed Framweork + G2tweakbox

3.The Rooting process is indeed Pretty Easy just Follow the Nice Tutorials you can Find in the G2' Forums ;) And 4.2.2 is okay and the 4.4.2 Update is already out too.

4.The Audio Quality is Amazing especially if you give the Audiochip the Support of the Viper 4 Android app

5.There is already a Rom Who gives a Samsung S5 Look but i think its onl for the D802 G2 Variant but there are enough Themes and Mods available to Customize it the Way you like.

6.On Android 4.2.2 the battery Life is Better than on 4.4.2 (But that depends on the usage ofcourse) On Custom Roms with the Right kernel and settings the G2's Performance Range varies but you will figure that out.

7.No Disadvantages the Display is Awesome Colors are not too Saturated (Like on many Oled/Amoled Displays)

8.Thats a thing wich made me Worry a bit,the Backside seems very Scratch Sensitive and without a Case or Bumper it can Slip out of the hand...Atleast thats how it feels like.

9.Ofcourse thats up to you and what you prefer, The G2 doesnt has a Removable battery,No Hardware Homebutton and the Buttons on the Back of the Phone are strange (My opinion) And ofcourse the lack of a Micro-Sd Card slot

10.If you Buy the phone just Update it Via the Update Section in the Settings to get KK directly from LG then you can Root it (Tutorials are available on XDA)

I hope i helped a bit and sry if my English is difficult to Understand ;)
    The G2 is still cheap plastic and it's better not going without a case. This thing breaks if it's dropped :cyclops:

The LG G2 supports USB OTG but whether you can use your PC HDD is something I doubt.

Yes you can. Either modify build.prop or install G2Tweaksbox. The latter is preffered.

Is that right?

Rooting the G2 is easy as eating a pie, even on 4.4.2. Just use IORoot

Sounds great with poweramp, but don't expect good sound from the loudspeaker. It's trash.

That's a matter of personal opinion. For me, the Samsung and LG roms look pretty close to eachother. With G2 Tweaksbox you can tweak most of the UI and you can also flash a "flatter" notification panel. There are plenty of mods.

Battery is great - well it used to be great prior to 4.4.2. If you wanna flash, I suggest a Cloudy rom from cloudyfa + dorimanx kernel.
    Asphalt 8 drains about 10% battery per 15-20minutes of gaming.

Yeah. It looks so good that it makes you wonder if this is real life?

Yup - broken screen = broken digitizer. It feels plasticy all around and doesn't have that solid build. Just slap a case on it,

G2 gives most bang for your buck (the OPO does too but it's not avaliable yet) - so no, it's a fine choice but all a matter of personal preference

You can update it to kitkat and root - no problems.

The battery life still can be improved with a custom kernel like dorimanx. For me the phone is running for 27hrs straight with wifi on all the time, got 2hrs of SOT and yet I still have 83% battery left.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app