mounting /system as rw?

Search This thread

kusotare

Apr 12, 2009
Colorado
this seems simple enough since we can do it with all other android devices that have root. but it isnt, apparently. because we're running with a stock bootloader/SPL/recovery/ROM, adb wont run with SU permissions. this means abd remount doesnt work.

also, we dont know what the directory is to mount from /dev (i.e. on the G1 it was /dev/block/mtdblock3) to get system to mount as rw.

my point in asking is that i'm trying to do something i'm sure a lot of other people would like as well. custom ringtones in /system/media/audio instead of on the SD card. why? because with the ringtones on the SD card, media scanner picks them up every time and lumps them in with the actual music you have on your sd card. ugh.

so, as soon as someone can figure this out, i'd love to know how to do it so I can push the ringtones or cp them using busybox. anyone who can help...well, lets get it going.

cojonesx

Feb 15, 2009
Cincinnati
Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ su -
su -
#
# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data_tmo rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
#
busybox mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
#

once you get there, just copy whatever you want wherever you want
something like
Code:
busybox cp /sdcard/sd/myfile.mp3 /system/media/audio/

Reactions: jcespi2005

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008
Code:
$ su -
su -
#
# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data_tmo rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
#
#

something like
Code:

Whoa... Do I need to do all this just to push a apk as system app?

kusotare

Apr 12, 2009
Colorado
No, all you need to do is:
adb shell (ony if you're using adb, if you're using terminal, skip this command)
su
busybox cp /(location of the app here)/app.apk /system/app/
reboot

now, depending on where you have the app:
if its on the 14gb storage, it'll just be /sdcard/app.apk
if its on your actual sd card, it'll be /sdcard/sd/app.apk

all the stuff in the code post between # mount and the next # is what gets printed from the mount command. not actual commands.

Last edited:

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
adb remount doesn't work? I have been using it to delete stuff out of the /system/app directory... Maybe I am not getting what you are referring to.
??

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
ahh, never mind, I see the issue now

So adb push to /system/* is never going to work until we get some custom roms then?

Last edited:

LovellKid

Nov 22, 2009
Spanish Fork, UT
I used buysbox to try and re-install dlna.apk/odex and my phone boots normal, but wont every "wake up" after the Galaxy s screen, it just stays black, but the home keys are responsive? Did i screw something up?

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008
No, all you need to do is:
adb shell (ony if you're using adb, if you're using terminal, skip this command)
su
busybox cp /(location of the app here)/app.apk /system/app/
reboot

now, depending on where you have the app:
if its on the 14gb storage, it'll just be /sdcard/app.apk
if its on your actual sd card, it'll be /sdcard/sd/app.apk

all the stuff in the code post between # mount and the next # is what gets printed from the mount command. not actual commands.

Tried doing this. I have com.neevo.mobiledefense.apk in my adb folder so on my N1, I never actually had to type a location of the file but whether I use the location or not, I get file not found... Will my N1 mobiledefense system app *.zip work on this phone or no since the directories are different?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    $ su -
    su -
    #
    # mount
    mount
    rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
    proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    #
    #

something like
    Code: