[ROOT] unrEVOked 3.21: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading

Search This thread

dadsterflip

Aug 31, 2010
i hate not having any root...... guess the new ota is tough to crack or were just sol now. any way to install roms without s-off and root? lol. really been itching to get skyraider back on. stupid refurb phones with ota.

androiddude81

Nov 21, 2010
It doesn't even feel like t
he same phone when not rooted. Once you root you never go back. I'm literally checking every hour for the unrevoked update. Please come soon. Definitely donating after this update. Can't live without these guys haha

xFoCaLx

Nov 18, 2010
Is there a way to root manually after the Nov update? Or is everyone waiting for the easy unrevoked way?

Last edited:

androiddude81

Nov 21, 2010
Well can't just install as a .zip, so I'm assuming i have to put the files in my root directory and then run the scripts in the META-INF/com/google/android folder. I know how to do this just want to make sure this is what I'm supposed to do. I already have these files in the root directory. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

RegnierD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Well can't just install as a .zip, so I'm assuming i have to put the files in my root directory and then run the scripts in the META-INF/com/google/android folder. I know how to do this just want to make sure this is what I'm supposed to do. I already have these files in the root directory. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

If you can get into clockwork, then you should just be able to flash the superuser .zip. Unless there is an issue? I could post my copy up here.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

androiddude81

Nov 21, 2010
Alright So I just finished rooting my phone WITH DINC NOV update (i.e vcast and SlackerRadio update). First YOU MUST HAVE S-OFF prior to the latest update to do this.

Download the PB31IMG.zip and put it in your /sdcard directory.

Boot into HBOOT by holding down the volume down button and the ON button. It will recognize the PB31IMG.zip and ask if you want to update.

Select yes with the up volume button. This will install CWM.

Once done delete the PB31IMG.zip from your sdcard. I repeat DELETE PB31IMG.zip.

unzip su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip and put the Superuser.apk and su files on your sd card

now restart back into HBOOT and select RECOVERY with the Volume buttons and the ON button. This will start the CWM menu.

Use the Mount option and Mount the /system directory.

The next few commands is what unrevoked normally does in a script, but since it's not working here are the commands to do by hand. The script is in the su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip if you want to check it out.

open your adb shell (make sure it is root. Should have a #~ not a $)

Code:
chmod 6755 su

mv su /system/bin/

mv Superuser.apk /system/app/

ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su

while your in here might as well get ride of the bloatware. Here's my list:

Code:
RSS.apk
Flickr.odex
com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
com.htc.MusicWidget.odex
com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.odex
com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk
HtcRingtoneWidget.apk
HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
com.htc.FMRadioWidget.odex
NewsReader.odex
AppSharing.apk
HtcRingtoneWidget.odex
HtcRingtoneTrimmer.odex
VZWInstaller.apk
VCast.apk
teeter.apk
WifiRouter.apk
NewsReader.apk
HtcCarPanel.apk
WifiRouter.odex
Stock.odex
HtcPhotoWidget.odex
HtcCarPanel.odex
teeter.odex
SlackerRadio.apk
HtcMusic.odex
HtcCalculatorWidget.odex
HtcMusic.apk
com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk
htcmailwidgets.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.apk
htcbookmarkwidget.apk
HtcCalculatorWidget.apk
HtcPhotoWidget.apk
HtcRingtoneTrimmer.apk
Calculator.odex
VZW_Skype.apk
Calculator.apk
CityID.apk
Stock.apk
htcmsgwidgets.odex
htcmailwidgets.odex
htccontactwidgets.odex
HtcFootprints.apk
VzNav.apk
RSS.odex
htcmsgwidgets.apk
amazonmp3.apk
Flickr.apk
HtcFootprintsWidget.odex
HtcFootprints.odex
htccontactwidgets.apk
htcbookmarkwidget.odex
VZW_MyVerizon.apk
com.htc.NewsReaderWidget.apk
HtcTwitter.odex
com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
VVM.odex
AppSharing.odex
HtcTwitter.apk
HtcFMRadio.odex
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
VVM.apk
com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
HtcFMRadio.apk
com.htc.NewsReaderWidget.odex

/system/etc/CDROM.ISO.disable

/system/customize/resource/VZW_Droid.mp3.disable

The END

Attachments

• PB31IMG.ZIP
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip
    289.9 KB · Views: 15

geekmug

Nov 11, 2010
Question is how did you get a custom recovery loaded without having root? And since you were able to get a custom recovery loaded and having gone S-off wouldn't you just be able to roll back to the previous update and re-root that way?

With gathered knowledge and tools from the forums and from the unrevoked IRC folks, I was able to disable the flash protection temporarily and flash a clockwork recovery onto it. And yes, once you have achieved that, you can go S-OFF with unrevoked forever, and consequentially downgrade or flash to any other ROM (which I did, I flashed the latest Virtuous).

I don't feel like I am in a position to distribute anyone else's tools, so I won't. I just wanted to tell people that if they try hard enough, it can be done; this revision of the firmware isn't unbreakable.

espmetalhead

Jul 24, 2010
With gathered knowledge and tools from the forums and from the unrevoked IRC folks, I was able to disable the flash protection temporarily and flash a clockwork recovery onto it. And yes, once you have achieved that, you can go S-OFF with unrevoked forever, and consequentially downgrade or flash to any other ROM (which I did, I flashed the latest Virtuous).

I don't feel like I am in a position to distribute anyone else's tools, so I won't. I just wanted to tell people that if they try hard enough, it can be done; this revision of the firmware isn't unbreakable.

Let us know how to do this!

dadsterflip

Aug 31, 2010

puff of smokes is what i say. im sure unrevoked will break it soon and don't have to listen to some people saying it could be done but oh i won't tell anyone how to do it or help anyone.

Last edited:

xFoCaLx

Nov 18, 2010

I dont think anyone is asking you to redistribute anyone's tools. However, I dont see any harm in linking the tools, or providing the name or creators name of the tools you used. So like others, Im calling BS...

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA

Please share the steps you used, giving credit where credit is due...

You don't have to distribute anyone's tools, but links to them, or at least provide the name & version of the tools used to make it easier to search would be appreciated.

nathanlewan

Oct 16, 2009
SOLUTION! - downgrade to 3.21.605 even if u have s-on

hello,

i didn't write any of these exploits, just figured out the right order. If you do this, you will be able to successfully downgrade to 3.21.605, and then use the normal un-revoked from there to get s-off, at which point you can follow the other directions posted in other threads to upgrade to the latest OTA and re-root

* NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BORK YOUR PHONE*

here's the basics:

1. get the RUU for 3.21.605 from shipped-roms.com, and extract the rom.zip file from the RUU, rename to PB31IMG.zip and put on the root of your sd card.

2. download the HTC Incredible downgrade package from the cyanogen mod wiki

3. put the downgrade files in your android sdk tools folder, and push them to your phone. you don't need the rageagainstthecage exploit, because we use z4root later on.
Code:
adb push flash_image /data/local
adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/

1. download z4root from the market, and obtain temporary root by running it on your phone

2. connect to the phone via adb, and type:
Code:
su

3. mount system as rw with this commmand:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system

4. follow these instructions from the cyanogen mod wiki (in adb shell):
Code:
cd /data/local
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
cd /data/local
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img
reboot bootloader

when your phone re-boots, you will have to select to go into bootloader, and then select to apply the update.

it will look like it fails the first time, but it will go through the process again and succeed.

If people need more detailed instructions, I can post more precise directions later.

i just had success with this. cool :)

again, I did not write any of these exploits, just found the right order to do them in to downgrade from the latest OTA, even with s-on

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

We've been working pretty hard to bring you unrEVOked 3.2 with out-of-the-box, one-click support for all Android versions on the Incredible.

Available for Linux, Mac, and Windows:
    http://www.unrevoked.com/recovery/

Please start by visiting the help page and reading it through:

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/unrevoked3

1. Windows users MUST install the HBOOT drivers for this to work:
    http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:windows_hboot_driver_install

2. Windows users need to uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). Disabling HTC Sync from the system tray is not enough. They interfere with the root process and will cause problems.

3. When asked for USB connection type, select "Charge Only" and "Remember this".

Special thanks to Sebastian Krahmer for the rageagainstthecage exploit.
    Go into drivers and find Android* and delete. This time when you install the drivers, select the root directory of the extracted modified drivers instead of 32-bit / 64-bit specifically. You should get some message that they are not signed. Accept to install anyway.

Launch the unrevoked program without your phone connected. When prompred, connect your phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
    Just an update, I rerooted with 3.21 and Amon's Recovery and everything worked great. Is there any perk to using Clockwork or should I just stick with what is working me me?
    Didn't wipe anything when I rooted my phone or my friend's. Superuser gets installed automatically, not sure about busybox.
    D
    Deleted member 2776902
    http://noobgui.de/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_if_you're_S-OFF_but_can't_get_root

So i can't get root on my friends incredible. I went to the irc room for unrevoked, and no one responded to my queries, so i found that article, and would really like to know if it applies only to Evo, or if those files in there would work for the incredible?

So it IS S-OFF right? If so, than the instructions are pretty much the same. Different files for recovery though.

CWM 2.5.1.2 Link

CWM 3.0.0.8 Link

Just rename "PB31IMG.zip" and place on root of SD card. (Formatted FAT 32). It will install ClockWorkMod recovery. You can the flash a file to get root, or even better. Flash one of the great ROM's around here on XDA. But of course, flashing a ROM will wipe your phone, if that's important.