[FAQ] NT Reference Thread | Tips&Tricks | How to's | Videos | NEW USER? PLEASE READ!

Search This thread

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[FAQ] NT Reference Thread | Tips&Tricks | How to's | Videos | NEW USER? PLEASE READ!

Hello NT users after read for several days i have realised that many of you NOOBS fall into issues while rooting, reverting to stock, unrooting, etc. so i decided to create a thread about Tips & Tricks i have found so far by users that has managed to find a fix, that way we help others. Off course you can post here any tip, fix, how to that i haven't posted and i will update the OP.

~ FAQ | NOOK TABLET REFERENCE THREAD ~

nt-1.png

NEW PUBLIC MIRROR FOR USERS THAT CAN'T ACCESS THE NECESSARY FILES, APPS AND VIDEOS TO ROOT OUTSIDE USA​

IM NEW TO ANDROID, NEW TO THIS FORUM AND DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START?

16GB NT USER:
Code:
[B]CASE#1:[/B] i like and use B&N apps i was to stick with stock but i wan't be able to use the most features as possible and not figure it out and troubleshoot so many things in the way then for those people i recommend stock 1.4.0 simple than that. 
Albert and I have posted modified, rooted stock 1.4.0 ROM's so you simply get into CWM and flash them, period.
But If you are the kind of person and also want to learn how to do it from scratch and modify to your taste then use one of the so many methods posted in development section to root: there are 2 options root by [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1354487"]using adb[/URL] and root by using a [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439630&highlight=root"]bootable sdcard[/URL] - PLEASE check [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20774764&postcount=2"]post#2[/URL] for video-tutorials.

Brief history of the creation of the sdcard method: many users were having issues setting up adb and making drivers for nook tablet get recognized by windows so they were not able to root so it is why sdcard method was released. and as users were having issues setting up sdcard aswell was created the "burn this image to your sdcard with [B]win32diskimager[/B], method which still some users have issues and i remember have read of one user that after user that bricked his device using the last method mentioned... Oh well there is always risk!!!

ONCE ROOTED YOU CAN USE [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21684160&postcount=1"]recovery flasher app[/URL] TO INSTALL ClockWorkMod (CWM)

[B]PROs OF SDcard METHOD:[/B] no use of PC
[B]CONs OF SDcard METHOD:[/B] you still have to setup your sdcard, format it with fat32 file system and set first partition to Active or LBA: boot (linux) and if that does work then burn the root image to your sdcard using win32diskimager.

[B]CASE#2:[/B] By the other hand if you are the kind of user that don't use (maybe hate) B&N service/apps then good news you have 3 options to pick from: CM7, CM9 and MIUI.

Now if you want to go straight to one of the ROM's mentioned (CM7, CM9 or MIUI) then you simply can prepare a sdcard to boot ClockworkMod (CWM) from it . For that please check [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21432854&postcount=1"]here[/URL] -METHOD #1 and [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22201029&postcount=36"]here[/URL] to know how to set it up!.
Once you re able to boot into CWM from sdcard you can now go ahead and download the ROM of your preference, copy it to your internal sdcard (MyNOOK) and flash it in CWM >> Install .zip from sdcard >> choose .zip from internal sdcard >> pick the copied .zip package and flash it, reboot device and VOILA!

8GB NT USER:
Code:
[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]WARNING![/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
There is not much support for 8GB model, infact you are limited to stock 1.4.2,
CM7 sdcard ROM and CM9 internal.
Only those you can intall/flash so far & if you attempt to flash any other ROM
e.x: stock 1.4.0, CM7 internal, MIUI, acclaim-update.zip, etc...
[CENTER][B][COLOR="Red"]¡¡¡YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!![/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

You can root stock 1.4.2 using the official [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1529553"]Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)[/URL]
You can download and when necessary make use of stock 1.4.2 from [URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Tablet/379003187/"]here[/URL]
You can make use of [URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21630798/Tutorials/Nook%20Tablet/8gb-16gb_cwm_sdcard.zip"]Clockworkmod (CWM)[/URL] booting from sdcard - Thanks to @meghd00t

QUICK TIPS & TRICKS

• How to boot into CWM: hold pwr + N and wait for the N dark screen comes up then let go of the power button while still holding the N button
  • How to take screenshots on Nook Tablet: N + Volume Down
  • How to erase/deregister (Wipe Data): Go to Settings> Device Info> Erase and Deregister Device - This will clean your data (All your sideloaded apps and settings will be gone)
  • How to make a hard reset (factory system reset) - This reset will de-registers your device as well as erases all local content such as contacts, sideloaded documents, personal information, 4 digit passcodes, etc. and re-install necessary software.
-----------------------
  • Rebooting your tablet results in usbdebugg deactivation, EVEN IF IT SHOWS TO BE CHECKED. Every time you reboot you must uncheck and recheck usb debugging and uncheck automount.
  • Working must have apps for sideload: Facebook, Gmail, Youtube, Amazon AppStore, etc.
  • Use Sideload Wonder Machine to Sideload Android Apps all you want. You need to have USB debugging enabled.
  • it is better to install a launcher since the stock one doesn’t display apps that are not purchased via B&N Market by default.
  • Once you install a launcher, you can access it via Home->Search. Type the launcher name in there.
  • When the Back button isn't there, a swipe from right to left on the status does the job (this will work if you keep the stock Status Bar)
  • Use Anycut and/or Hidden Settings app to create shortcuts and have access to "hidden settings"
  • Use Nook Color Apps Manager to add other sideloaded apps to the Nook home screen.

HOW TO's MADE BY ME

CWM (ClockWork Mod) ISSUES

• WARNING: if you installed CWM do NOT perform a Hard factory reset and/or erase & deregister (within B&N settings) as it doesn't work and could possibly mess up your device even more.
    In CWM Wipe Data is the equivalent of erase & deregister and it is safe to use. To restore your system read the TIP below.
  • How to recover my system after i messed up and i have access only to CWM :eek:?
    answer: You can fix your system by installing a flashable zip or CWM backup containing a complete working system with root, apps and tweaks included (You lucky)
    1.4.0 ROM + Root + Apps + Mods flash in CWM > backup & restore > restore - thanks to me
    1.4.0 ROM + NTV4.5 Root flash in CWM > backup & restore > restore - thanks to @AlbertWertz
    1.4.1 ROM This is a flashable zip for CWM - thanks to @cobrato

-----------------------------------------

UNBRICK METHODS

GENERAL ISSUES, TIPS, TRICKS, FIXES

EYE CANDY TWEAKS

ROOTING ISSUES

REVERTING TO STOCK ISSUES

UNROOTING ISSUES

DRIVERS ISSUES

One of the nastiest problem you can face is when some other (wrong) drivers are already installed on your PC, especially if you have Android SDK installed, rooted a different Android device before, etc. In this case you’ll have to completely remove them from your PC or use a different computer. An ideal tool for this is Nirsoft’s USB Device View (download here, it is free), Unzip it somewhere in a folder and launch USBDeview.exe. Look under the description tab and remove every driver containing ADB letters and restart your PC. Try to install the downloaded USB Drivers again. In my case this procedure removed some previous ADB drivers used to root my Kindle Fire and my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket.
Source: http://reviewhorizon.com

USBDeview.png

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[VIDEO COLLECTION] For Root, Apps and General Troubleshooting

Albert Wertz has created a channel in youtube and uploaded many videos to help users with a step by step video tutorials so it gets easier to Root, troubleshoot, etc your Nook Tablet.

~ NOOK TABLET VIDEO COLLECTION ~
by @albertwertz​
Main thread: [Q and A] Root w/ Video Instructions, NEW Root PATCH ADB Hijack[12/31/11]
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/albertcwertz?feature=watch

CM9 PROGRESS - Thanks to @AndroidNemith @fat_tire @chrmhoffmann

• Bypass registration of Nook Tablet
  • How to Root Nook Tablet Part 1 USB drivers and Debugging
  • How to Root Nook Tablet Part 2 USB drivers and Debugging

• How to Block Barnes and Noble OTA for Nook Tablet
  • Indirect's ADB Root Hijack APP
  • NOOK Tablet CWM Install app and how to make Flash Zip files for CWM

• How to restore a CWM backup containing a Custom ROM
  • How to Restore back to 1.4.0, sideload, and root using SDcard on Nook Tablet
  • CWM Entry on 1.4.1 and Registering for BN content

• Another Nook Tablet Troubleshooting Root Video and more
  • Custom SD Card Rooting 1.4.1 Nook Tablet
  • How to make a Custom Nook Tablet Root SD card

Last edited:

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Thanks for the thread. It is most useful. Its just not development, so i will move it to general and sticky it. It will be useful to new users.

Moved to General

Cleaned some posts Dont be offended if i deleted your post, i just want to keep this thread nice and tidy:)

Last edited:

krier32

Nov 30, 2011
SideLoad Wonder Machine

Does the Sideload Wonder Machine allow you to sideload apps on NT 1.4.1?

TeamKATT

Jan 2, 2012
Last night I rooted my wifes NT followed everything step by step indirects thread pulled up and the videos from youtube.

Everything worked perfectly and I installed the Honeycomb Launcher.

Next went into setting up TB to prevent the OTA's...still working fine

Started putting all my wife's books and everything else of hers on there and then I get a Honeycomb Launcher (mobi.SyndicationApps) is not working. Force Close...Force Close it...the launcher loads back up...same error message...hit force close...loads back up...same error message.

It would not let me do anything else except hit force close.

So I did the reset with the power button and the volume buttons 8 times.

Gonna try to root it again when I get off of work so my question is did I do something wrong in the root process/preventing the OTAs, or is this just a bug with Honeycomb and I should try a different launcher, or was it just some freak thing that has never happened to anyone else before? (I searched the forum all day looking for an answer but did not turn up anything useful)

SCClockDr

Dec 28, 2011
SC UpState
Honycomb is working here. Rooted via Indirect's script. Seems very solid.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

R
George

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
NEW! It seems that the acclaim_update.zip file from goo-insideme.com it's having issues, so if you are having troubles making it work then download from here

Start Post Updated!

Last edited:

xToxicInferno

Jul 15, 2011
Here is a quick tip, on Indirect's newest version of his rooting script, it gives you the option to install which launcher you want right in the script (great idea btw) however when you select GO launcher it will take away the status bar on GO launcher home screen and disable (or maybe make it act as home button on single press) the n button. This is a issue as you can't go to the shop or library without going into another app first. The workaround i found for this was as such:

While rooting, choose Honeycomb launcher as your default launcher instead of GO launcher (if that is the one you so desire). Once you finish the root, go to the market place, download GO launceher EX and then simply uninstall Honeycomb Launcher.

I figured this tip will help a few people out.

Also not that i can vouch for it as i haven't done it myself, i would imagine instead of having to unroot and reroot to fix the issue, if you installed a different launcher (such as ADW launcher) then uninstalled GO launcher, then re installed it, then uninstall the other launcher, it would fix the issue. But that is simple guessing, so take it how you will.

(Just link to this post in the OP if you you like it, if you do i will delete this line via edit)

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Here is a quick tip, on Indirect's newest version of his rooting script, it gives you the option to install which launcher you want right in the script (great idea btw) however when you select GO launcher it will take away the status bar on GO launcher home screen and disable (or maybe make it act as home button on single press) the n button. This is a issue as you can't go to the shop or library without going into another app first. The workaround i found for this was as such:

While rooting, choose Honeycomb launcher as your default launcher instead of GO launcher (if that is the one you so desire). Once you finish the root, go to the market place, download GO launceher EX and then simply uninstall Honeycomb Launcher.

Also not that i can vouch for it as i haven't done it myself, i would imagine instead of having to unroot and reroot to fix the issue, if you installed a different launcher (such as ADW launcher) then uninstalled GO launcher, then re installed it, then uninstall the other launcher, it would fix the issue. But that is simple guessing, so take it how you will.

(Just link to this post in the OP if you you like it, if you do i will delete this line via edit)

Thaks for the tip :) i will link it but the one post you made in another thread which is better explained.

Edit: OP updated with NEW TIPS!

Veronica

Last edited:

MarisaAnn

Jan 3, 2012
Blocking the updater

I got a NT for Christmas and found this site to help me sideload apps. I followed the video contained in this thread: Stock Firmware]Restore Barnes & Nobel Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard....worked perfectly! However, I do not want to root my NT just want to sideload apps so I didn't follow the instructions for rooting the NT. My problem now is how do I block the updater on my NT to keep it from going back to the 1.4.1 system?? Thank you so much for your help!!

georgem2

Jan 3, 2012
ADB error: device offline

After installing drivers, if you get this message, you are in a USB 3.0 port. Switch to USB 2.0 (for ZT Systems Windows 7 machine this is the front ports).

Reactions: lavero.burgos

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I got a NT for Christmas and found this site to help me sideload apps. I followed the video contained in this thread: Stock Firmware]Restore Barnes & Nobel Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard....worked perfectly! However, I do not want to root my NT just want to sideload apps so I didn't follow the instructions for rooting the NT. My problem now is how do I block the updater on my NT to keep it from going back to the 1.4.1 system?? Thank you so much for your help!!

Hello Marissa you need to be rooted in order to block ota's updates.

Sent from XDA using one of my Android Toys :p

MarisaAnn

Jan 3, 2012
Hello Marissa you need to be rooted in order to block ota's updates.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that! I'm pretty good with a computer but this is my first "messing around" with an NT. Does rooting ruin the NT, as in can it be changed back? If people are having problems with drivers and such when the NT is rooted, is it worth rooting it? All I really want to do is use 3rd party apps like those from Amazon. Thank you for your help!

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I was hoping you wouldn't say that! I'm pretty good with a computer but this is my first "messing around" with an NT. Does rooting ruin the NT, as in can it be changed back? If people are having problems with drivers and such when the NT is rooted, is it worth rooting it? All I really want to do is use 3rd party apps like those from Amazon. Thank you for your help!

You can always go back to a stock out-of-the-box NT with the acclaim_update.zip "magic sdcard" method by AdamOutler if you mess things up or if you just don't want all the goodies anymore.
Now you have an advantage here you haven't got the update so you more than good to go. I recommend you to root with indirects method asap (as soon as possible) before you get the update then make sure you block ota immediately though I would even go and freeze the devicemanager.apk with titanium backup to feel myself safer. You could try it, if you have issues with B&N apps after freeze then just simple unfreeze, so far everything can be undone just follow step by step the instructions plus the video tutorials and this thread with tips you be more than good. However if you have any doubt,issue we will be gladly to help.

Veronica

Last edited:

MarisaAnn

Jan 3, 2012
You can always go back to a stock out-of-the-box NT with the acclaim_update.zip "magic sdcard" method by AdamOutler if you mess things up or if you just don't want all the goodies anymore.
Now you have an advantage here you haven't got the update so you more than good to go. I recommend you to root with indirects method asap (as soon as possible) before you get the update then make sure you block ota immediately though I would even go and freeze the devicemanager.apk with titanium backup to feel myself safer. You could try it, if you have issues with B&N apps after freeze then just simple unfreeze, so far everything can be undone just follow step by step the instructions plus the video tutorials and this thread with tips you be more than good. However if you have any doubt,issue we will be gladly to help.

Veronica

This site rocks! I actually had already updated my nook tablet not knowing (duh) and had to root it. I followed the instructions provided in the developers threads, watched videos provided, and just finished it. It took me a while, but I figured it out after goofing a few steps. I'm all set to go, here's hoping the Titanium backup works to blocking those OTA's! :D

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
This site rocks! I actually had already updated my nook tablet not knowing (duh) and had to root it. I followed the instructions provided in the developers threads, watched videos provided, and just finished it. It took me a while, but I figured it out after goofing a few steps. I'm all set to go, here's hoping the Titanium backup works to blocking those OTA's! :D

Wonderful, congratulations :D

mysongranhills

Dec 22, 2011
This may seem a really stupid question, but after the nook has been rooted I can't seem to find the android settings menu anywhere. All I get is the nook settings which are very limited. Is this unaccesible?

ckevinwelch

Feb 17, 2011
This may seem a really stupid question, but after the nook has been rooted I can't seem to find the android settings menu anywhere. All I get is the nook settings which are very limited. Is this unaccesible?

The full Android Settings menu is not there ... but head over to the development section and look for an app called NT Hidden Settings. It does a good job of pulling together what is there.

Reactions: boltcutter

styme001

Jan 4, 2012
Hi All...this is my first post but certainly not my first visit to this super awesome site..and I really really need your help before doing anything else an losing more of my time...Well I got my B&NNT for Xmas and I rooted it.. and of course after ~5days it got hit with the 1.4.1 update...so back to square 1. I used the microSD card to revert back to 1.4.0 and diligently rerooted and this time made sure I blocked the auto-updating...I did that 2 days ago...installed everything (apps/widgets..you name it) I had on it secure that I had done everything right..then left it to charge when I went to sleep...woke up this morning...went to add something to my GO widget calendar...then BAM!! It flashed something about unauthorized something or other and went into a factory reset...saying it's clearing all data and going to take a few minutes!!!!! Well I was at it;s mercy and couldn't do anything while it just erased away all my setting apps widgets basically ALL my hard work...so when it finally came back up...it was old stock NT...nothing was there...no Button Savior..no Go Launcher EX nothing....the one good thing is It didn't update to 1.4.1..It's still 1.4.0...My question is WTF happened???? Sorry for the profanity...but I'm still a bit peeved...and 2. Is there ANYWAY I can get all my settings and stuff back and never have this happen ever again? Can B&N do a factory reset wirelessly? If they can and keep doing that and I can't do anything about it...I may have to return my NT =( Which when it's working the way I like it pretty awesome...Someone please help?!?!?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello NT users after read for several days i have realised that many of you NOOBS fall into issues while rooting, reverting to stock, unrooting, etc. so i decided to create a thread about Tips & Tricks i have found so far by users that has managed to find a fix, that way we help others. Off course you can post here any tip, fix, how to that i haven't posted and i will update the OP.

~ FAQ | NOOK TABLET REFERENCE THREAD ~

nt-1.png

NEW PUBLIC MIRROR FOR USERS THAT CAN'T ACCESS THE NECESSARY FILES, APPS AND VIDEOS TO ROOT OUTSIDE USA​

IM NEW TO ANDROID, NEW TO THIS FORUM AND DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START?

16GB NT USER:
    Code:
    [B]CASE#1:[/B] i like and use B&N apps i was to stick with stock but i wan't be able to use the most features as possible and not figure it out and troubleshoot so many things in the way then for those people i recommend stock 1.4.0 simple than that. 
    Albert and I have posted modified, rooted stock 1.4.0 ROM's so you simply get into CWM and flash them, period.
    But If you are the kind of person and also want to learn how to do it from scratch and modify to your taste then use one of the so many methods posted in development section to root: there are 2 options root by [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1354487"]using adb[/URL] and root by using a [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439630&highlight=root"]bootable sdcard[/URL] - PLEASE check [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20774764&postcount=2"]post#2[/URL] for video-tutorials.

Brief history of the creation of the sdcard method: many users were having issues setting up adb and making drivers for nook tablet get recognized by windows so they were not able to root so it is why sdcard method was released. and as users were having issues setting up sdcard aswell was created the "burn this image to your sdcard with [B]win32diskimager[/B], method which still some users have issues and i remember have read of one user that after user that bricked his device using the last method mentioned... Oh well there is always risk!!!

ONCE ROOTED YOU CAN USE [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21684160&postcount=1"]recovery flasher app[/URL] TO INSTALL ClockWorkMod (CWM)

[B]PROs OF SDcard METHOD:[/B] no use of PC
    [B]CONs OF SDcard METHOD:[/B] you still have to setup your sdcard, format it with fat32 file system and set first partition to Active or LBA: boot (linux) and if that does work then burn the root image to your sdcard using win32diskimager.

[B]CASE#2:[/B] By the other hand if you are the kind of user that don't use (maybe hate) B&N service/apps then good news you have 3 options to pick from: CM7, CM9 and MIUI.

Now if you want to go straight to one of the ROM's mentioned (CM7, CM9 or MIUI) then you simply can prepare a sdcard to boot ClockworkMod (CWM) from it . For that please check [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21432854&postcount=1"]here[/URL] -METHOD #1 and [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22201029&postcount=36"]here[/URL] to know how to set it up!.
    Once you re able to boot into CWM from sdcard you can now go ahead and download the ROM of your preference, copy it to your internal sdcard (MyNOOK) and flash it in CWM >> Install .zip from sdcard >> choose .zip from internal sdcard >> pick the copied .zip package and flash it, reboot device and VOILA!

8GB NT USER:
    Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]WARNING![/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
    There is not much support for 8GB model, infact you are limited to stock 1.4.2,
    CM7 sdcard ROM and CM9 internal.
    Only those you can intall/flash so far & if you attempt to flash any other ROM
    e.x: stock 1.4.0, CM7 internal, MIUI, acclaim-update.zip, etc...
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="Red"]¡¡¡YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!![/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

You can root stock 1.4.2 using the official [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1529553"]Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)[/URL]
    You can download and when necessary make use of stock 1.4.2 from [URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Tablet/379003187/"]here[/URL]
    You can make use of [URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21630798/Tutorials/Nook%20Tablet/8gb-16gb_cwm_sdcard.zip"]Clockworkmod (CWM)[/URL] booting from sdcard - Thanks to @meghd00t

QUICK TIPS & TRICKS

• How to boot into CWM: hold pwr + N and wait for the N dark screen comes up then let go of the power button while still holding the N button
    • How to take screenshots on Nook Tablet: N + Volume Down
    • How to erase/deregister (Wipe Data): Go to Settings> Device Info> Erase and Deregister Device - This will clean your data (All your sideloaded apps and settings will be gone)
    • How to make a hard reset (factory system reset) - This reset will de-registers your device as well as erases all local content such as contacts, sideloaded documents, personal information, 4 digit passcodes, etc. and re-install necessary software.
    -----------------------
    • Rebooting your tablet results in usbdebugg deactivation, EVEN IF IT SHOWS TO BE CHECKED. Every time you reboot you must uncheck and recheck usb debugging and uncheck automount.
    • Working must have apps for sideload: Facebook, Gmail, Youtube, Amazon AppStore, etc.
    • Use Sideload Wonder Machine to Sideload Android Apps all you want. You need to have USB debugging enabled.
    • it is better to install a launcher since the stock one doesn’t display apps that are not purchased via B&N Market by default.
    • Once you install a launcher, you can access it via Home->Search. Type the launcher name in there.
    • When the Back button isn't there, a swipe from right to left on the status does the job (this will work if you keep the stock Status Bar)
    • Use Anycut and/or Hidden Settings app to create shortcuts and have access to "hidden settings"
    • Use Nook Color Apps Manager to add other sideloaded apps to the Nook home screen.

HOW TO's MADE BY ME

CWM (ClockWork Mod) ISSUES

• WARNING: if you installed CWM do NOT perform a Hard factory reset and/or erase & deregister (within B&N settings) as it doesn't work and could possibly mess up your device even more.
      In CWM Wipe Data is the equivalent of erase & deregister and it is safe to use. To restore your system read the TIP below.
    • How to recover my system after i messed up and i have access only to CWM :eek:?
      answer: You can fix your system by installing a flashable zip or CWM backup containing a complete working system with root, apps and tweaks included (You lucky)
      1.4.0 ROM + Root + Apps + Mods flash in CWM > backup & restore > restore - thanks to me
      1.4.0 ROM + NTV4.5 Root flash in CWM > backup & restore > restore - thanks to @AlbertWertz
      1.4.1 ROM This is a flashable zip for CWM - thanks to @cobrato

UNBRICK METHODS

GENERAL ISSUES, TIPS, TRICKS, FIXES

EYE CANDY TWEAKS

ROOTING ISSUES

REVERTING TO STOCK ISSUES

UNROOTING ISSUES

DRIVERS ISSUES

One of the nastiest problem you can face is when some other (wrong) drivers are already installed on your PC, especially if you have Android SDK installed, rooted a different Android device before, etc. In this case you’ll have to completely remove them from your PC or use a different computer. An ideal tool for this is Nirsoft’s USB Device View (download here, it is free), Unzip it somewhere in a folder and launch USBDeview.exe. Look under the description tab and remove every driver containing ADB letters and restart your PC. Try to install the downloaded USB Drivers again. In my case this procedure removed some previous ADB drivers used to root my Kindle Fire and my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket.
    Source: http://reviewhorizon.com

USBDeview.png
    [VIDEO COLLECTION] For Root, Apps and General Troubleshooting

Albert Wertz has created a channel in youtube and uploaded many videos to help users with a step by step video tutorials so it gets easier to Root, troubleshoot, etc your Nook Tablet.

~ NOOK TABLET VIDEO COLLECTION ~
    by @albertwertz​
    Main thread: [Q and A] Root w/ Video Instructions, NEW Root PATCH ADB Hijack[12/31/11]
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/albertcwertz?feature=watch

CM9 PROGRESS - Thanks to @AndroidNemith @fat_tire @chrmhoffmann

• Bypass registration of Nook Tablet
    • How to Root Nook Tablet Part 1 USB drivers and Debugging
    • How to Root Nook Tablet Part 2 USB drivers and Debugging

• How to Block Barnes and Noble OTA for Nook Tablet
    • Indirect's ADB Root Hijack APP
    • NOOK Tablet CWM Install app and how to make Flash Zip files for CWM

• How to restore a CWM backup containing a Custom ROM
    • How to Restore back to 1.4.0, sideload, and root using SDcard on Nook Tablet
    • CWM Entry on 1.4.1 and Registering for BN content

• Another Nook Tablet Troubleshooting Root Video and more
    • Custom SD Card Rooting 1.4.1 Nook Tablet
    • How to make a Custom Nook Tablet Root SD card

Customization Options Explained

Hi, I'm new owner of a Nook Tablet (16GB with 1.4.2) and I'm excited about pimping NT. My previous experience is with jailbreaking & unlocking iPhone 3GS and this is pretty much my first foray with an Android device. I also have a HTC Sensation that I will want to Pimp as well but will do that later.

I'm suffering information overload and still trying to digest the information, but one thing that really confuses me is sequence of events/tasks that need to be carried out in order to pimp the Nook Tablet. For instance....

From a fellow noob who just went through this. I'll give you my opinion on the options and what you get at each turn. Others can add the details of how you do each step..

Level 0: Your Stock NT. Gets you ebooks and apps from within the "walled garden" of B&N. Your experience is controlled by B&N and you purchase all your content from B&N only.

Level 1: Stock NT w/Basic Root. Root gives access to install 3rd party applications. What that means is you get the same B&N experience and UI as stock, but at a minimum you can install content from outside the B&N electronic store. You're still running B&N's operating environment. To do this you really are just unlocking a feature so your B&N content remains safe in their cloud and does not need to be backed up. Rooting in of itself, gives you access to more capabilities withing the software that B&N provides on the device, it does not replace the software with something else.

For us noobs this is made more complicated because B&N implemented a reversion in their "updated" firmware 1.4.1 and above that re-locks down the device and seals off the walled garden. It makes a Level 1 device downgrade to a Level 0 device. Moral: Firmware upgrades from the manufacturer are usually not a good idea. Often older devices get no new features and have "unauthorized" features disabled. That's why you see all the warnings about NOT updating to the latest B&N firmware. The root instructions will direct you to your 1st 3rd party application, to disable B&N over the air firmware updates so you won't be unwittingly unrooted.

Level 2: Rooted with UI changes. Since rooting allows installing 3rd party applications, you can choose to replace portions of the B&N UI with 3rd party launchers, ebook readers, (for example the Android Kindle Reader Software). Your underlying software is still the B&N android software, and your B&N (and Amazon) content will be backed up in their respective clouds. At this Level, you'll have to worry about backing up 3rd party data from any 3rd party apps. (There is an app for doing that.)

----Ok, up to this point it's simply customization of the B&N software...

The next levels involve wholesale replacement of the B&N software with another version of the Android OS. In these levels, you are replacing and in some cases overwriting the B&N software completely with something else, and your tablet graduates into a completely new UI and operational experience.

Level 3: Boot alternate OS (such as CM7) from SD card. This level allows you to insert a specially formatted SD card into your NT and boot into a completely different environment. In this mode, the entire internal memory and its respective content is bypassed and ignored. It is as if you swapped your hard drive for another in your PC or mac or its as if you booted into a different operating system in its own partition.

The beauty of Level 3 is that no modifications to the NT are required, and all of the existing content of the stock or basic rooted NT is copied down from the cloud to the external SD card. The existing memory of the NT is unaltered, so if you boot without the SD card the NT will boot like any other stock NT.

While discussing this approach, I'll touch on a varying problem or caveat with this method. Depending on the brand and build of the SD card you use, it is possible that you will be required to boot the NT with a USB cable attached to either the AC adaptor or another computer supplying power. This "tether" is technically only required for the first few seconds of the bootup from SD. If your NT/SD combination requires the "tether" procedure, you won't be able to boot the SD without it and it will boot to stock (ignoring the SD card). This can be really annoying if you intend to shut the tablet down to save battery, or you crash to the point where a reboot is required (and you're not near a USB cable).

Level 4: Replacing the B&N firmware internally with an alternative Android OS. This level is similar to Level 3, but now you are replacing all of the B&N software with something else. Your nook is no longer a "nook" as far as B&N is concerned. You will be erasing software on the device and replacing it, so there definately is more danger that you will get stuck with an unusable device than any of the other Levels. The payoff is you get to use the internal memory, you won't have the reboot requires tether problem described in the previous paragraph, and you'll be able to supplement the internal memory with storage from an external SD card that can be formatted to hold content.

My reccomendation is to try the basic root (Level 1 or 2) out for a few days or weeks. You might find that the additional capabilities are really all you need. For my non-technical friends, I move them to Level 2 and they are thrilled to have a fast tablet that can handle ebook and app content from the "big 2" sources.

Then, if you are so inclined, go for it and try Level 3 using a blank SD card.

Last point...regarding all the often conflicting and overlapping threads on rooting:
    As the devs have discovered new, safer, easier and better ways to unlock the NT a new or alternate thread is often started with a different approach to the same ends (achieving root). In many of these cases the devs have taken things a bit further and bundled into their unlock what they feel would be the most desired apps to have after unrooting, saving the time of having to do a lot of installing and configuring of common components. In my opinion, the best resource for finding the latest "version" and most refined techniques is to look at the first post of this thread!

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

I decided to also reply with less verbiage and direct links for those who just want the answers.

1) It seems I should back up stock device image, but is this done before rooting or after. Also Is backing up the image include the Android OS AND Bootloader, and what else?
    No need to do this. There is no content on the NT that won't get re-downloaded from B&N servers.

2) Once back up is done, is the next step to Root the device
    Yes, see below for the links. I recommend purchasing a small SD card (8gb) and using the SD Card root instructions rather than messing with ADB and drivers.

3) Once rooted, do you then install a new bootloader?

4) Is the custom Rom installed after the Bootloader?

5) When do you install the many different utilities that are mentioned.?

6) What app packages should be installed?

For a 16gb NT, I would follow albertwertz's SD Card Unlock thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439630

For an 8gb NT , you can try jichuan89's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1529553

7) When should a backup be made of the NEW pimped device?
    Once you have 3rd party apps and content, you can use an app such as Titanium Backup to do this. Titanium Backup is included in some packages or can be obtained from the Market (or a Google Search)

8) How and when should a restore be done back to stock or the pimped image?
    If you need to bring the NT back to B&N for warranty repairs (if that is possible), or if you want B&N to repartition your internal drive, you'll need to backup before you give B&N the device, and restore after you've re-rooted (and have access to Titanium Backup).

9) What sequence of steps should be taken to load a new version of a Rom or a totally different Rom?
    Each ROM will have specific instructions in its thread.

10) What, if anything, is different between running off MicroSD and running internally? Any major advantages/disadvantages between the two?
    See the paragraph discussing Level 3 and Level 4 (above) for information on SD vs. internal.

Hope this helps!

This thread OP has a link to a rar file that contains the Facebook apk among other difficult to find apk's.

Swyped from my rooted BNTV250 using Tapatalk