[GUIDE] Insanely Better Battery Life When Idle - Battery Life Thread

Search This thread

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
UPDATE: Wanted to add from personal experience that these tricks all work on 4.4 KitKat ROMs. This information isn't stale

This guide should work for any Android phone running any ROM. (Though you do have to be rooted for most of these options. Nothing is THAT simple!)

The goal is to reduce your battery drain when your phone is idle. Nothing in this guide will improve your battery life when the phone is in use. But it will keep the battery from draining quickly (actually it will nearly keep it from draining at all) when the screen it off and the phone is not in use. And the battery savings can be extreme! As I write this guide my phone it has been 4 days, 15 hours, and 9 minutes since I last unplugged my Galaxy S4. I have 33% battery life remaining. You can have this too!

These fixes are not your typical "Lower screen brightness and delete carreir bloatware and disable auto syncing" tips. (Though all that stuff is still a good idea)

You can try all of these techniques or just some of them. Some of them will break features of your phone and might not be good options for you. Only you can decide if these fixes are right for you.

Special thanks for Mike216 and Penko956 for the endless research they did Greenifying, freezing, and disabling they did on just about every system and app on thier phone to see what all could be disabled. And to Torbitege who initially helped figure all this out with me for the HTC Sensation.

First off, what's using your battery?

If you're not already familiar with Better Battery Stats, fix that about yourself. Download it. Use it. Love it.

This app will run in the background constantly monitoring what's using your system resources 24 hours a day. It will tell you what apps are causing wakelocks, which are waking the device, etc etc etc.

The app won't do anything to help your battery life. But it will give you the information you need to adjust problematic apps.

Wakelocks and Battery Drain caused by Google Services

The battery saving impact is major.

This is my personal favorite battery saving technique. But it's not right for everyone, so read thoroughly.

Basically Google thinks your phone belongs to Google. Google Services runs A LOT even when you're not using the phone. This causes a ton of wakelocks and wake ups that use battery. I hate that. So I stopped it with a simple mod to the Google Services Framework.

Here's how....

This is a good old fashioned dirty fix, as it breaks some things. Most push notifications WILL NOT WORK AFTER DOING THIS!!!!! So this is not for everyone!!!! You've been warned. Please don't complain later in the thread that you aren't getting new mail or Twitter or whatever notifications after doing this. You're being told up front they will probably not work.

GTalk and GoogleNow (and maybe a few other things) will not work after doing this. Push notifications for any Google apps will also not work. They are casualties of the dirty fix. But if you're like me and never use GTalk or GNow this will help. Some other Google services might not work after this either. But if you're like me and the only Google service you use is the Play Store app, this will not affect you adversely. (Gmail and Google Maps run independantly of the Google Services framework and are not affected at all by this.)

Use this version of the fix for older Google Service Framework installs. You will know if you have a newer version if doing this install doesnt' prevent your wifi and data icons from turning blue (or whatever color your theme uses). If they turn blue, use the newer version below....

You need to download System Tuner from Google Play. The app will tell you to get Android Tuner instead. Don't do it. It doesn't have what you need. The icon is a blue suitcase with tools on it. Thats' the one you want.

First I froze GTalk and Gnow (Google Search). And no, you can't just freeze those two apps without touching the GSF. The GSF will still create wakelocks when trying to activate them even if they are not there. So you have to modify the GSF as well.

Go to System Tuner and select "Start Ups".

Then pick the Google Services Framework from the list and open it. You shoudl see a list of services.

Uncheck the things on the list below. (Basicall anything with GTalk or Checkin in the title)

gtalkservice.diagnostits.gtalkdiagnostics
gtalkservice.connection autherrordialog
talk.talkprovider
checkin.checinservices$reciever
checkin.checkinservices$triggerreciever
checkin.eventlogservices$receiver
gtalkservice.diagnostics.gtalkdiagnosticsbroadcast reciever
gtalkservice.serviceautostarter
gtalkservices.datamessagereciever
gtalkservice.sendxmppreciever
gtalkservices.packageinstalledreciever
gtalkservice.xmppendpointreciever
checkin.evenlogservice
gtalkservice.service.stalkservice
gtalkservice.pushmessagingregistar

You can freeze the GSF entirely with 1 easy step and that will also kill the wakelocks. But the Play Store becomes another casualty if you do that. Disabling the events above will stop the Google Services wakelocks dead in their tracks, and allow the Play Store to continue working. If you want to go that route you can do it but you'd have to unfreeze the GSF everytime you wanted to update an app.

Newer version if you have updated Google Service Framework.

Freeze the Google Services Framework entirely.
Profit.

Note: I haven't personally tried this and can't attest to it's viability to drawbacks. It was suggested by other members in this thread and confirmed to be working by several other people. Your miliage may vary.

One little quirk with both of the above versions is that when you turn on wifi or mobile data, the signal bars don't turn colors. They stay gray because you aren't connecting to the google servers anymore. (They normally change color to indicate that you are connected to the Google servers). After 1 day I stopped noticing they didn't change colors. Now it looks weird to me when I see them colored.

I highly recommend making a Nandroid backup before trying any of this. Once you go that, go nuts! You can't hurt too much when messing with the GSF because it will just shut down google elements. Worst case, you can always just reactivate everything, reboot, and it'll all work like it did before you messed with it. But if you accidentally disable Android System instead of Google Services, you will probably kill your ROM. So back a backup first.

And severely worst case, if you totally louse up your ROM, just restore the Nandroid and it'll all be back to normal in a flash. (Get it? In a 'flash'...haha I crack myself up)

The Greenify App Sollution

The battery saving impact is moderate.

This is one that you're just silly not to be doing.

Get the Greenify App from The Play Store

There is a free version. But its freakin' awesome so buy the donate version. It's $3 and the developer has more than earned it for the way he's making your phone awesome. (The donate version also includes some special experimental features. Read all about it. Do NOT just get the donate version. You need the free version too.)

This app basically lets your freeze any user app when you're not actively using it. And unfreeze it automatically when you want to open it again.

So if you have an app that likes to wake your device and run itself when you're not using the phone, you can just Greenify it and it will be prevented from using any system resources when you're not actively using the app.

You don't want to Greenify everything. Some apps need to run 24/7 like your messaing app, your phone app, etc. If you Greenify those you won't get messages or calls. The app is incredibly simple to us. You just select the app that's causing trouble and tell Greenify to 'go'. And it does the rest. It's just as easy to un-greenify an app if you greenify something you shouldn't have.

Not every app on your phone needs to be Greenified. Most apps behave themselves. Only do this to the ones that are showing as causing wakes or alarms or wakelocks in a battery monitor like Better Battery Stats.

Two that I will suggest for everyone to start with are Google Maps and T Mobile's My Account app. Both of these love to run when the phone is alseep.

If for whatever reason Greenify those apps hinders the way you use your phone, just ungreenify them! Simple as that.

Google Play Services and You

The battery saving impact is noticable.

Google Play Services wakes the phone a lot. It also does a lot. Read more about what all Google Play Services does here.

You have two options for this one. The first option is the nuclear option. Freeze Google Play Services outright. It will never bother you, but it might break some usefulness of other google apps.

The second option, thanks to XDA Member Karpfenhai , is to disable only certain aspects of the Google Play Services. This one uses the same technique mentioned above in the Google Services Framework Section, just different services to disable. (Thanks to Perseus71 for making me aware of this one and asking that it be included!) THIS HAS BEEN RECENTLY UPDATED

NEW PROBLEM AS OF MARCH 2015

The battery saving potential is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED!

Since Google updated Play Services all hell has broken loose on custom roms. You get a persistent and unkillable wakelock for SystemUpdateManager.

The battery drain is horrendous. Your phone is awake and active 100% of the time.

This affects GPS version 7.0.97

I fixed this by going to the permissions manager (built into many aosp roms. If not available in your rom, consult yoir rom thread for ways to alter permissions) and disabling the permission in Google Play Services for "wake" and "keep awake".

Note: Some phones only show "keep awake". Just do that one if that is the case.

The problem is that on custom roms no ota is available. But Google tries to get it anyway. When it fails it doesn't shut down. It just keeps trying.

If the permissions method doesn't work, try this...

http://xdaforums.com/general/general/fix-fix-systemupdateservice-wakelock-t3060548
I

Last edited:

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Just so you don't think I'm kidding around when I say you can severely increase your battery drain when idle, take a look at tehse screen shots from my Galaxy S4.

My specific set up is running CyanogenMod 10.1 nightlies with ChronicKernal. I haven't been using my phone much over the past 4 days. I have a total of 2 hours and 34 minutes screen on time and 40 minutes of phone calls during that period. So this is admittedly very light usage. But that's perfect to show you that these techniques really work to minimize battery drain when the phone is idle. And I promise you that your results will vary based on your ROM and Kernel.

This won't make the battery last longer during use. The screen will still burn a lot of battery and the cell radio does too. But if you want to make sure your phone will be charged when you need it without you having to carry a charger with you everywhere you go, these are the mods for you.

As you can see from these screen shots I am at 4 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes since unplugging. I have 31% battery left. (That's what the 31 in the upper left corner is. Thats' from an app called Big Battery Notifier. Its free on Play.)

The other screenshot is from Better Battery Stats showing my Alarms screen. Alarms are loosely the same as wakes. Everytime an app wakes the device (not neccessarily turning the screen on) it will record an alarm. If you look at your BBS alarms screen without these modifications I bet you see a lot more alarms than you see here, and keep in mind that mine screen show is showing 4 and a half days worth. Each one of those represents an app or service waking the device and using battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-09-16-29-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-09-16-29-57.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 45,673
  • Screenshot_2013-07-09-16-29-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-09-16-29-38.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 43,999
Last edited:

Pinan

Mar 19, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Just a note. If you convert Google Play Services to a User App (TB), you can then Greenify (free ver.) it. This works very well and does not affect other functions that may rely on that app.

I also Greenify Maps and Google Search. Two more heavy drainers. Convert to User App first.

*Note: You must use Greenify v1.82 to Hibernate Google Play Services! Search this thread for links to it.

Fwiw, my sleep drainage is 0.3 - 0.4%hr, with wifi on 24/7.

I get either 7-8 days standby, or so far, 5.5 days with 3.5 hours screen time, or likely 6-7hrs screen time single day. Screen shots are in my posts.

I would argue too that these settings/tweaks do indeed increase your battery time, since while sleeping, the battery is draining at a much lower rate, therefore keeping more juice for live time use. ;)

Although you and I don't use all of the same "tweaking" programs, we do seem to be on the same mission. Better battery life! :good:

Last edited:

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Just a note. If you convert Google Play Services to a User App (TB), you can then Greenify (free ver.) it. This works very well and does not affect other functions that may rely on that app.

I also Greenify Maps and Google Search. Two more heavy drainers. Convert to User App first.

I get either 7-8 days standby, or so far, 5.5 days with 3.5 hours screen time, or likely 6-7hrs screen time single day. Screen shots are in my posts.

I would argue too that these settings/tweaks do indeed increase your battery time, since while sleeping, the battery is draining at a much lower rate, therefore keeping more juice for live time use. ;)

Although you and I don't use all of the same "tweaking" programs, we do seem to be on the same mission. Better battery life! :good:

I like your way of dealing with Google play services. I'll change the op later.

That doesn't break function of the play services to run as a user app?

Sent from your phone. You should be careful where you leave that thing.

Pinan

Mar 19, 2011
Murrieta, CA
I like your way of dealing with Google play services. I'll change the op later.

That doesn't break function of the play services to run as a user app?
I have not noticed any dysfunction, though there are likely some things I don't use. But for me it's been completely functional.

Besides, if I froze it, I'd have none of it's functions at all. ;)

rodny23

Nov 29, 2008

How do I convert those services to user apps?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

kevinrubio1

Oct 13, 2012
Something disabled notifications for instagram, etc.

mike216

Nov 12, 2010
cleveland
This has saved a bunch of us from odd battery drain. Skipjacks has been there and done that. Amazing informative thread! Going on two weeks without having to worry about bringing my charger to work thanks to skip

SGH-M919_Omega, the end result

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Nope, it's something in system tuner, I unchecked all the "checking" things so it's one of the "gtalk" options. I'm narrowing it down

I don't believe it. Instagram is its own thing. It shouldn't be reliant on the google services framework at all.

Reactions: Sniff658

funkl3

Jul 13, 2010
Houston

I'm not sure whether Greenifying Google Search would save as much battery as freezing it would, but I'm going to try it out and see how it works for me. I'll report back some results in case anyone is curious

Pinan

Mar 19, 2011
Murrieta, CA
I'm not sure whether Greenifying Google Search would save as much battery as freezing it would, . .
It does. It also allows other functions to still work such as TTS. I had the issue a while back. Something to do with shared voice.

I also freeze Contacts and Calendar syncs as well. If I want them to sync I simply thaw them for a few seconds.

Last edited:

kevinrubio1

Oct 13, 2012
I don't believe it. Instagram is its own thing. It shouldn't be reliant on the google services framework at all.

Maybe one of the "gtalk" options has something to do with notifications because last night I rebooted my phone a lot checking/unchecking options, none of the "checking" did anything! So that's good, and I unchecked some gtalk but not all and it worked!

Pinan

Mar 19, 2011
Murrieta, CA
I like your way of dealing with Google play services.

Btw. I forgot to mention that after I reboot the first thing I do is turn off Google Play in Running Programs. Persistent bugger. And of course I turn off notifications and auto update in GP as well with each new ROM install.

My tweak list is extensive. Someday I'll right it all down as you have. Save me some thinking, LOL.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Wanted to add from personal experience that these tricks all work on 4.4 KitKat ROMs. This information isn't stale

This guide should work for any Android phone running any ROM. (Though you do have to be rooted for most of these options. Nothing is THAT simple!)

The goal is to reduce your battery drain when your phone is idle. Nothing in this guide will improve your battery life when the phone is in use. But it will keep the battery from draining quickly (actually it will nearly keep it from draining at all) when the screen it off and the phone is not in use. And the battery savings can be extreme! As I write this guide my phone it has been 4 days, 15 hours, and 9 minutes since I last unplugged my Galaxy S4. I have 33% battery life remaining. You can have this too!

These fixes are not your typical "Lower screen brightness and delete carreir bloatware and disable auto syncing" tips. (Though all that stuff is still a good idea)

You can try all of these techniques or just some of them. Some of them will break features of your phone and might not be good options for you. Only you can decide if these fixes are right for you.

Special thanks for Mike216 and Penko956 for the endless research they did Greenifying, freezing, and disabling they did on just about every system and app on thier phone to see what all could be disabled. And to Torbitege who initially helped figure all this out with me for the HTC Sensation.

First off, what's using your battery?

If you're not already familiar with Better Battery Stats, fix that about yourself. Download it. Use it. Love it.

This app will run in the background constantly monitoring what's using your system resources 24 hours a day. It will tell you what apps are causing wakelocks, which are waking the device, etc etc etc.

The app won't do anything to help your battery life. But it will give you the information you need to adjust problematic apps.

Wakelocks and Battery Drain caused by Google Services

The battery saving impact is major.

This is my personal favorite battery saving technique. But it's not right for everyone, so read thoroughly.

Basically Google thinks your phone belongs to Google. Google Services runs A LOT even when you're not using the phone. This causes a ton of wakelocks and wake ups that use battery. I hate that. So I stopped it with a simple mod to the Google Services Framework.

Here's how....

This is a good old fashioned dirty fix, as it breaks some things. Most push notifications WILL NOT WORK AFTER DOING THIS!!!!! So this is not for everyone!!!! You've been warned. Please don't complain later in the thread that you aren't getting new mail or Twitter or whatever notifications after doing this. You're being told up front they will probably not work.

GTalk and GoogleNow (and maybe a few other things) will not work after doing this. Push notifications for any Google apps will also not work. They are casualties of the dirty fix. But if you're like me and never use GTalk or GNow this will help. Some other Google services might not work after this either. But if you're like me and the only Google service you use is the Play Store app, this will not affect you adversely. (Gmail and Google Maps run independantly of the Google Services framework and are not affected at all by this.)

Use this version of the fix for older Google Service Framework installs. You will know if you have a newer version if doing this install doesnt' prevent your wifi and data icons from turning blue (or whatever color your theme uses). If they turn blue, use the newer version below....

You need to download System Tuner from Google Play. The app will tell you to get Android Tuner instead. Don't do it. It doesn't have what you need. The icon is a blue suitcase with tools on it. Thats' the one you want.

First I froze GTalk and Gnow (Google Search). And no, you can't just freeze those two apps without touching the GSF. The GSF will still create wakelocks when trying to activate them even if they are not there. So you have to modify the GSF as well.

Go to System Tuner and select "Start Ups".

Then pick the Google Services Framework from the list and open it. You shoudl see a list of services.

Uncheck the things on the list below. (Basicall anything with GTalk or Checkin in the title)

gtalkservice.diagnostits.gtalkdiagnostics
    gtalkservice.connection autherrordialog
    talk.talkprovider
    checkin.checinservices$reciever
    checkin.checkinservices$triggerreciever
    checkin.eventlogservices$receiver
    gtalkservice.diagnostics.gtalkdiagnosticsbroadcast reciever
    gtalkservice.serviceautostarter
    gtalkservices.datamessagereciever
    gtalkservice.sendxmppreciever
    gtalkservices.packageinstalledreciever
    gtalkservice.xmppendpointreciever
    checkin.evenlogservice
    gtalkservice.service.stalkservice
    gtalkservice.pushmessagingregistar

You can freeze the GSF entirely with 1 easy step and that will also kill the wakelocks. But the Play Store becomes another casualty if you do that. Disabling the events above will stop the Google Services wakelocks dead in their tracks, and allow the Play Store to continue working. If you want to go that route you can do it but you'd have to unfreeze the GSF everytime you wanted to update an app.

Newer version if you have updated Google Service Framework.

Freeze the Google Services Framework entirely.
    Profit.

Note: I haven't personally tried this and can't attest to it's viability to drawbacks. It was suggested by other members in this thread and confirmed to be working by several other people. Your miliage may vary.

One little quirk with both of the above versions is that when you turn on wifi or mobile data, the signal bars don't turn colors. They stay gray because you aren't connecting to the google servers anymore. (They normally change color to indicate that you are connected to the Google servers). After 1 day I stopped noticing they didn't change colors. Now it looks weird to me when I see them colored.

I highly recommend making a Nandroid backup before trying any of this. Once you go that, go nuts! You can't hurt too much when messing with the GSF because it will just shut down google elements. Worst case, you can always just reactivate everything, reboot, and it'll all work like it did before you messed with it. But if you accidentally disable Android System instead of Google Services, you will probably kill your ROM. So back a backup first.

And severely worst case, if you totally louse up your ROM, just restore the Nandroid and it'll all be back to normal in a flash. (Get it? In a 'flash'...haha I crack myself up)

The Greenify App Sollution

The battery saving impact is moderate.

This is one that you're just silly not to be doing.

Get the Greenify App from The Play Store

There is a free version. But its freakin' awesome so buy the donate version. It's $3 and the developer has more than earned it for the way he's making your phone awesome. (The donate version also includes some special experimental features. Read all about it. Do NOT just get the donate version. You need the free version too.)

This app basically lets your freeze any user app when you're not actively using it. And unfreeze it automatically when you want to open it again.

So if you have an app that likes to wake your device and run itself when you're not using the phone, you can just Greenify it and it will be prevented from using any system resources when you're not actively using the app.

You don't want to Greenify everything. Some apps need to run 24/7 like your messaing app, your phone app, etc. If you Greenify those you won't get messages or calls. The app is incredibly simple to us. You just select the app that's causing trouble and tell Greenify to 'go'. And it does the rest. It's just as easy to un-greenify an app if you greenify something you shouldn't have.

Not every app on your phone needs to be Greenified. Most apps behave themselves. Only do this to the ones that are showing as causing wakes or alarms or wakelocks in a battery monitor like Better Battery Stats.

Two that I will suggest for everyone to start with are Google Maps and T Mobile's My Account app. Both of these love to run when the phone is alseep.

If for whatever reason Greenify those apps hinders the way you use your phone, just ungreenify them! Simple as that.

Google Play Services and You

The battery saving impact is noticable.

Google Play Services wakes the phone a lot. It also does a lot. Read more about what all Google Play Services does here.

You have two options for this one. The first option is the nuclear option. Freeze Google Play Services outright. It will never bother you, but it might break some usefulness of other google apps.

The second option, thanks to XDA Member Karpfenhai , is to disable only certain aspects of the Google Play Services. This one uses the same technique mentioned above in the Google Services Framework Section, just different services to disable. (Thanks to Perseus71 for making me aware of this one and asking that it be included!) THIS HAS BEEN RECENTLY UPDATED

NEW PROBLEM AS OF MARCH 2015

The battery saving potential is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED!

Since Google updated Play Services all hell has broken loose on custom roms. You get a persistent and unkillable wakelock for SystemUpdateManager.

The battery drain is horrendous. Your phone is awake and active 100% of the time.

This affects GPS version 7.0.97

I fixed this by going to the permissions manager (built into many aosp roms. If not available in your rom, consult yoir rom thread for ways to alter permissions) and disabling the permission in Google Play Services for "wake" and "keep awake".

Note: Some phones only show "keep awake". Just do that one if that is the case.

The problem is that on custom roms no ota is available. But Google tries to get it anyway. When it fails it doesn't shut down. It just keeps trying.

If the permissions method doesn't work, try this...

http://xdaforums.com/general/general/fix-fix-systemupdateservice-wakelock-t3060548
    I
    Just so you don't think I'm kidding around when I say you can severely increase your battery drain when idle, take a look at tehse screen shots from my Galaxy S4.

My specific set up is running CyanogenMod 10.1 nightlies with ChronicKernal. I haven't been using my phone much over the past 4 days. I have a total of 2 hours and 34 minutes screen on time and 40 minutes of phone calls during that period. So this is admittedly very light usage. But that's perfect to show you that these techniques really work to minimize battery drain when the phone is idle. And I promise you that your results will vary based on your ROM and Kernel.

This won't make the battery last longer during use. The screen will still burn a lot of battery and the cell radio does too. But if you want to make sure your phone will be charged when you need it without you having to carry a charger with you everywhere you go, these are the mods for you.

As you can see from these screen shots I am at 4 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes since unplugging. I have 31% battery left. (That's what the 31 in the upper left corner is. Thats' from an app called Big Battery Notifier. Its free on Play.)

The other screenshot is from Better Battery Stats showing my Alarms screen. Alarms are loosely the same as wakes. Everytime an app wakes the device (not neccessarily turning the screen on) it will record an alarm. If you look at your BBS alarms screen without these modifications I bet you see a lot more alarms than you see here, and keep in mind that mine screen show is showing 4 and a half days worth. Each one of those represents an app or service waking the device and using battery.
    If the written instructions somehow baffle you, here's a video of the whole thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBpOl77Tm4

This will show you step by step how to do all of this.

Thanks to XDA Member Chaitanyapatel8880 for his work in putting this video together

*Note: You must use Greenify v1.82 to Hibernate Google Play Services! Search this thread for links to it.

Does anyone have a detailed guide on disabling all unnecessary services and just leave the essential running?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app
    You mean like the one this entire thread is based on? With a year long conversation about it?