Update Awareness Thread

Search This thread

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Just reply when you know the update is being sent in OTA so JCase can release root.

So if anyone intends on getting the update and not rooting,give us a heads up when you receive the update.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Thanks for using this thread.
I could have also said to reply if any form of root becomes available to Fire TV before the OTA update.
I am already rooted,and have already fixed up my hosts file for blocking the OTA links using a hosts editor app from google play..

deanemj

May 2, 2014
I would imagine an update must be coming soon now that a root exploit has been made public. Better make sure you're DNS settings are solid and best to root and block updates sooner rather than later.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
For those who have rooted, you can run this command in adb shell to completely disable the updater:

pm disable com.amazon.dcp

You can verify in the system -> about it says "Checking now" for "Last Checked" on the update.

Last edited:

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
I just did that,and it said killed.
I still see the last date it was checked.
When should I see "checking in "last checked" option?

So in the terminal app I use to sideload other apps on my Fire TV I type:

adb shell pm disable com.amazon.dcp

Is that right?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I would try just

adb shell

and then at the prompt type

You might need to reboot to get the menu to change.

Resnoid

Jun 16, 2014
I would try just

adb shell

Does killing the updater survive a hard reboot, for example after a power cut?

If not, how could I set the command to run at boot ?

Thanks for all the work on this great device so far :good:

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Yes the pm disable is permanent.

Yes you can rename the apk, but why rename the apk when the pm disable is infinitly easier? The apk is /system/app/com.amazon.dcp.apk

byrdcfmma

Sep 26, 2012
Central FL
I am using js terminal on my android tablet to sideload everything. How can I execute this command this way?

I tried adb shell but got an error. Thanks!

Nevermind, I found some directions for that!!!

Last edited:

vyktym

May 31, 2014
I would try just

adb shell

I plan to disable updates per the above instructions, but are these commands reversible as well? If Amazon releases an update that brings additional functionality down the road, I may reconsider my decision to update (and potentially re-root with another method).

JPDeckers

Apr 16, 2014
I plan to disable updates per the above instructions, but are these commands reversible as well? If Amazon releases an update that brings additional functionality down the road, I may reconsider my decision to update (and potentially re-root with another method).

pm enable com.amazon.dcp will, well, enable it again.

Reactions: vyktym

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
Blocking URL's

Not ready to root until ClockWorksMod Recovery is available but want to be able to root when this is true.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2760884

Found this thread about blocking URL's. Seems like this is what is needed if we don't root until more options and tools are available for rooted FTV..

I am using Linksys E4200 and using Access Restriction > Parental Controls option. Pasted the plain text copies of URLS's which were transferred to router version below. Since URL 1's translation was too long I had to manually paste cut off ".net" in URL 1. Set access to always.Target Devices > Restrict Internet Access need to add FTV device.

Block Specific Sites
amzdigitaldownloads.edges.net ****Edit: this should be **** amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net ****
firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com

Schedule Block Internet Access
Always

Target Devices Restrict Internet Access
android-c770a088dec6570f
android-f28e25ac80891726
Android_A10000138BBBB8

Two questions. Not sure what FTV is listed as. Other devices showed up with name so I know not to add them. Guessed the three "android" names above that one was FTV. Does anyone know if this is correct and if correct which one is my FTV? If not correct what is is called?

For Block Specific Sites is the first URL necessary and does blocking it cause problems with some of the current FTV apps?

Last edited:

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
You are missing part of the digital downloads site.

It should be "edgesuite" not edges.

The amzdigitaldownloads link can cause services to fail,but services do not fail when only blocking the "firs-ta-g7g" page.
Even the PolarisGo app fails to work,but the website works fine.

Reactions: lschroeder

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010

The amzdigitaldownloads link can cause services to fail,but services do not fail when only blocking the "firs-ta-g7g" page.

I switched to only blocking firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com. This should be ok, right? What people at thread were blocking.

Used my router to find FireTV was 192.168.1.126. Checked Status > Local Network > DHCP Client Table

Saw that android-f28e25ac80891726 was mapped to 192.168.1.126 which FireTV said it was using. Deleted other entries.

Last edited:

bradr00lzd00d1

Oct 1, 2011
I just bought a fire TV from best buy for my dad I'm about to set it up for the first time then root has an update that kills root came out yet or am I good to go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Shinyhead

Jun 18, 2010
Fullerton
I just bought a fire TV from best buy for my dad I'm about to set it up for the first time then root has an update that kills root came out yet or am I good to go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I just bought a FTV last night from best buy as well. I booted it up and updated it prior to rooting it. Not sure if next week's update will patch this rooting method, but I do not want to make that mistake again. I updated my chromecast when they first came out like an idiot... and can't ever root those :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

pm enable com.amazon.dcp will, well, enable it again.