Personal Review after using the Samsung for 7 days

Search This thread

fadimck

Dec 15, 2005
Cairo
Dears,

I would like to share with you my experience in the Samsung Galaxy S II after using it for one full week. My previous cell phone was Nokia N900 and I was owning too a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Currently I have my lovely Samasung Galaxy S II after losing the Nokia and Selling the Tab :mad:

So let us go into the subject, find below my personal review and please share yours as well but i want to highlight that I am a heavy user in terms of the following:

- Performing at least 2 hours of voice calling during the day (3G coverage - GSM).
- The mail is always in a sync mode (GMail and Yahoo).
- Gtalk, Yahoo messenger and Tango is always on.
- Surfing the web at least one hour a day.
- Heavy Twitter user @fadimck (if you like to follow :rolleyes:).
- Capturing at least 15 to 20 images.

Now let us check the performance in the first week:
  • First two days, the battery last for only half a day.
  • This was due to playing a lot with the setting and downloading all my previous stuff on the Market/Aptoide.
  • The last three days I started to use it with the normal pattern but i noticed a drain of the battery as it was disconnected at 7PM !!
  • I started to analyze every application to check which one is draining the battery and finally it was Twitter where it was on a push mode accordingly it was pushing Tweets all the time.
  • Since i switched off the push notification the battery is lasting since early morning (6:30AM) till now (8:10PM) and still 20% remaining and still using it with the above mentioned normal usage of mine.
Let us now share the experience of the OS:

- The interface is Ok and have no customization from Samsung and I like this since this makes the device faster.
- The camera quality is amazing and inndoor shots are great.
- Touch screen is similar to my previous iPhone 4.
- Like the swype Keboard than the stock one.
- Arabic support is amazing.
- Stock browser in not good accordingly i use Dolphin instead.
- Default office program is better than the one in the Tab where you can create 2007 documents.
- The weight is considered nothing.
- Working with the display in the sun is a real fun.
- Louspeakers are more than fine..
- Playing music on it is a different experience.
- Playing HD movies on it is great and i am waiting to test the TV out (since i don't have the kit now i will wait for a while)

That's for now and I will review it more in another week

I will post another post about the important applications to have but it will be in another discussion.

So please share with us your experience ....

Last edited:

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
Thanks for posting, ive got my GS2 a few months now and it's running flawlessly, on medium usage with Juice Defender Ultimate i can achieve very good battery life, was definitely worth the mucho €€€ i paid for it :)

D

Demon_man

When did xda turn into a phone review site thats 2 ive seen in 5 mins.

sent from my stupidly fast SGS2 using xda app

mancuk29

Mar 22, 2007
Manchester

The review is good and helps people who are thinking getting the s2, xda is a discussion forum, a review is a discussion about a phone so what's the problem

I've been a member of xda for years and to be honest I don't know what's wrong with members all I see now is "already discussed don't you use search", "your question is in the wrong forum", "why have you started a new thread"... Why can't people say thank you for sharing your experience, or why can't senior members just help the person asking instead of criticising? If a member doesn't like a thread IGNORE IT......

I for one who is very well versed on the forum find the search system on the xda application hard work and unless you can search on a pc which isn't always possible repeat questions may be asked. This week I'm away and I committed a foopar by daring to ask a repeat question because I couldn't find what I was looking for jes did I regret it!

Thank you for sharing your review its very helpful for anyone thinking about getting the s2.....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

LonelyJourney

Mar 5, 2008
I've had the phone about 10 days and I am a confessed phone junkie and this phone is the best phone in the world period. People who complain about nanosecond battery life or damaged units they received is another matter. Phone vs phone there is no phone that comes close when it comes to sheer power. Liking the OS is a subjective issue. As far as rating the PHONE and how it PERFORMS, it's as close to flawless in my opinion as you are going to find.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Declan79

Mar 21, 2011
Padang
thanks for sharing, little advice from me you might considering not to hit the automatically sycn for both your email and set to (15-30)" to refresh your tweet timeline, it might help the battery drain and yes it is the beast i mean best android dualcore smartphone till this period:)

THUDUK

Aug 12, 2007
eastbourne
Google Pixel 4a
I agree its nice to read other peoples reviews, I also have been a member for many years and never worried about what I posted, now the fun has been taken out of this place, with people criticising others for what they post.
Good to read something positive about the sgs2

mancuk29

Mar 22, 2007
Manchester
I agree its nice to read other peoples reviews, I also have been a member for many years and never worried about what I posted, now the fun has been taken out of this place, with people criticising others for what they post.
Good to read something positive about the sgs2

Glad I'm not only one....

biffsmash

Nov 19, 2007
I agree with everything except the browser. I've always used third party browsers but I switched back to stock the last couple of days and stock is much faster and a lot less buggy than all of the third party browsers. And I've tried them all.
I think going back to something after trying something else makes you appreciate it all the more :)

buxz777

Jun 22, 2011
Wish I could use stock browser.....but it defaults to mobile site display (stupid Samsung) and I hate that. Boat browser mini is amazing btw. Fastest on Android.

you need the user agent mod mate :) you can set it to desktop all the time :)

i love the sgs2 and the in-built browser is the icing on the cake for me :)

leomar2.6 and his kitchen app are immense and the support he gives is so much better then samung , htc , nokia , etc etc

its the 1st android device that i have felt ticked all my boxes and its easily the best phone ive had and i am a bit of a phone addict :)

i dont see a problem with user reviews either , i sometimes find them more helpfull then the big websites reviews as most are honest reviews , some are filled with fanboy stuff and others with new gadget love but most are an interesting read and its good to get different opinions before forking out £500 on a device or signing a 2 year contract :)

hope everyone has a good day

Propergood

Jun 1, 2011
Kent
Nice little short-term overview, As some others, I agree about the stock browser being superior (in my opinion to all other platforms), certainly in speed and rendering.

Your comment on the OS looks a little misinformed? Samsung heavily customise the default android experience with their touchwiz overlay and framework.. However I personally feel it's very intuitive and certainly superior to motorola/htc's interferences with the vanilla android interface.

I'm currently using Cyanogenmod myself, although I'll hopefully be returning to stock when the 2.3.4 (or 5) update is oficially released.

RE: stock browser -

rockky

Oct 2, 2006
chicago
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Your talking about entering the 'debug:useragent ' in the address box right...or is there an apk/zip mod?!
Entering that script doesn't stick tho...and becomes a pain.
If there IS a permanent mod 'fix' tho that enables desktop displays by default please let me know, cause gingerbread browser is great.
(but seriously,in lieu of stock, I've done fairly extensive multi site download tests and that boat browser mini is better (faster) than any third party browsers, and eqalled if not better our stock browser in download completion.
Thanks
hope everyone has a good day[/Q

you need the user agent mod mate :) you can set it to desktop all the time :)

i love the sgs2 and the in-built browser is the icing on the cake for me :)

leomar2.6 and his kitchen app are immense and the support he gives is so much better then samung , htc , nokia , etc etc

its the 1st android device that i have felt ticked all my boxes and its easily the best phone ive had and i am a bit of a phone addict :)

i dont see a problem with user reviews either , i sometimes find them more helpfull then the big websites reviews as most are honest reviews , some are filled with fanboy stuff and others with new gadget love but most are an interesting read and its good to get different opinions before forking out £500 on a device or signing a 2 year contract :)

Your talking about entering the 'debug:useragent ' in the address box right...or is there an apk/zip mod?!
Entering that script doesn't stick tho...and becomes a pain.
If THERE'S a permanent mod 'fix' tho that enables desktop displays by default please let me know, I have cause gingerbread browser is great.
(but seriously,in lieu of stock, I've done fairly extensive multi site download tests and that boat browser mini is better (faster) than any third party browsers, and eqalled if not better our stock browser in download completion.
Thanks
hope everyone has a good day

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The review is good and helps people who are thinking getting the s2, xda is a discussion forum, a review is a discussion about a phone so what's the problem

I've been a member of xda for years and to be honest I don't know what's wrong with members all I see now is "already discussed don't you use search", "your question is in the wrong forum", "why have you started a new thread"... Why can't people say thank you for sharing your experience, or why can't senior members just help the person asking instead of criticising? If a member doesn't like a thread IGNORE IT......

I for one who is very well versed on the forum find the search system on the xda application hard work and unless you can search on a pc which isn't always possible repeat questions may be asked. This week I'm away and I committed a foopar by daring to ask a repeat question because I couldn't find what I was looking for jes did I regret it!

Thank you for sharing your review its very helpful for anyone thinking about getting the s2.....