[Q] Lost root, help downgrading to 4.1.2

Search This thread

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a n00b at this, so please forgive me.

I started with Android 4.1.2, Kernel 3.4.0-g298631f-02047-gec59411, build 10.1.C.0.370.

I rooted it using Doomlord's easy-root and then when attempting to flash custom recovery, I accidentally flashed some other .img and the tablet wouldn't even turn on. I cried. Like, a few good tears.

Went online, found out I wasn't screwed, and figured out how to flash SGP312_10.4.B.0.577_VMo DE_1273-3719_WIFI312G.

But, as I said, I lost root, and am confused about how to downgrade back to 4.1.2 properly without bricking.

Here is my current info:

Version 4.3, Kernel 3.4.0-g1b44cd5, build 10.4.b.0.577

In this thread, under "Downgrade your rom" and "back to 4.1.2 and rooting" it says "if you're in 4.3, Flash this SGP 351 4.1.2 FTF using Flash Tool and it will be booted in 4.1.2. if you have different Variant downgrade to your Variant FTF file"

What is a variant FTF file? Can I just use any SGP 312 4.1.2 FTF? Does anyone know a safe one to use?

Thanks!

worf_1977

Jul 28, 2011
Barcelona
Just wipe EVERYTHING on flashtools. Make sure that you have al wipe checked, and press start flashing.

But be careful, sometimes, bootloader is messed up with updates, not sure if it is your case because i don't have a SGP312. Instead i have the LTE variant, wich turned itself into an stubborn piece of technology LOL

Sent from my little big badass boy!

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
Just wipe EVERYTHING on flashtools. Make sure that you have al wipe checked, and press start flashing.

But be careful, sometimes, bootloader is messed up with updates, not sure if it is your case because i don't have a SGP312. Instead i have the LTE variant, wich turned itself into an stubborn piece of technology LOL

Sent from my little big badass boy!

Thanks for the response!

Just not sure what you mean by "wipe everything". What am I flashing it with? Which firmware? And what's "al wipe"?

I tried posting a screenshot of the flash tools but as a new user I can't do it. Sorry for being a n00b.

Cat McGowan

Apr 28, 2012
Thanks for the response!

Just not sure what you mean by "wipe everything". What am I flashing it with? Which firmware? And what's "al wipe"?

I tried posting a screenshot of the flash tools but as a new user I can't do it. Sorry for being a n00b.

I believe by "wipe everything" and "al wipe", they mean select to wipe APPSLOG, CACHE, and DATA during the flashing process. The flash tool you need can be downloaded from HERE. You can download a US version of the firmware from my post HERE.

Last edited:
Reactions: UberBaumer

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
I believe by "wipe everything" and "al wipe", they mean select to wipe APPSLOG, CACHE, and DATA during the flashing process. The flash tool you need can be downloaded from HERE. You can download a US version of the firmware from my post HERE.

THANK YOU, SIR.

I really appreciate it!

Back onto 4.1 and just rooted again. Now I just need to manage not screwing up installing CWM like I did last time!

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
Grrr...so I'm having trouble again.

When I try flashing CWM it keeps soft-bricking or whatever my tablet. It won't boot and I need to put it into fastboot mode and reflash the firmware.

I'm using the command fastboot flash boot TabZ_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-253-v01.img

Is there a better or another way to get CWM installed?

Cat McGowan

Apr 28, 2012

When I try flashing CWM it keeps soft-bricking or whatever my tablet. It won't boot and I need to put it into fastboot mode and reflash the firmware.

I'm using the command fastboot flash boot TabZ_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-253-v01.img

TabZ_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-253-v01.img is for the SGP321 running firmware 10.1.1.A.1.253.
You have a SGP312.
TabZ_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-344-v01.img is for the SGP312 running firmware 10.1.C.0.344.
You are running firmware 10.1.C.0.370.
You would probably have better luck trying to install Nut's XZDualRecovery.

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
TabZ_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-253-v01.img is for the SGP321 running firmware 10.1.1.A.1.253.
You have a SGP312.
TabZ_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-344-v01.img is for the SGP312 running firmware 10.1.C.0.344.

Jeez, dude, you're totally rocking my world. Thanks a ton for all your help.

I've successfully installed the XZ DualRecovery.

But now something weird is happening: when I try installing various roms (cm-10.2.0-pollux_windy or cm-11-20140418-nightly-pollux_windy) I get the error that it's for the wrong device. It tells me that I have a Pollux, but according to google, Pollux is the LTE version - I most definitely have the SG312 32GB WiFi version).

Did I go wrong somewhere here?

Cat McGowan

Apr 28, 2012
Jeez, dude, you're totally rocking my world. Thanks a ton for all your help.

I've successfully installed the XZ DualRecovery.

But now something weird is happening: when I try installing various roms (cm-10.2.0-pollux_windy or cm-11-20140418-nightly-pollux_windy) I get the error that it's for the wrong device. It tells me that I have a Pollux, but according to google, Pollux is the LTE version - I most definitely have the SG312 32GB WiFi version).

Did I go wrong somewhere here?

I do not install custom ROMs. No ROM has ever impressed me enough to cause me to want to install it. However, I have read posts regarding your problem in the Xperia Tablet Z Original Android Development forum. Look there and perhaps you will find the answer you need.

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
I do not install custom ROMs. No ROM has ever impressed me enough to cause me to want to install it. However, I have read posts regarding your problem in the Xperia Tablet Z Original Android Development forum. Look there and perhaps you will find the answer you need.

Hmm, I see. I was excited to install Cyanogenmod because I have it on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and enjoy the customization and ability to remove all the bloatware.

According to your signature, I see that you're on 4.2... A few questions:

Did you do this through an official update?
Can I somehow flash 4.2 through recovery mode (so if I decide I don't like it, I can just load a system backup and go back to 4.1.2)?
If I were to update through the automatic system update, I'm assuming I'll lose my root access and won't be able to get back into recovery mode (in case I figure out a way to install a custom rom in the future)?
Is there a way to remove all the sony bloatware without root access (if I were to install an official system update)?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get this all figured out before I start downloading all my apps and getting comfortable with the interface.

Thanks again so very much.

Cat McGowan

Apr 28, 2012
Hmm, I see. I was excited to install Cyanogenmod because I have it on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and enjoy the customization and ability to remove all the bloatware.

Can I somehow flash 4.2 through recovery mode (so if I decide I don't like it, I can just load a system backup and go back to 4.1.2)?
If I were to update through the automatic system update, I'm assuming I'll lose my root access and won't be able to get back into recovery mode (in case I figure out a way to install a custom rom in the future)?
Is there a way to remove all the sony bloatware without root access (if I were to install an official system update)?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get this all figured out before I start downloading all my apps and getting comfortable with the interface.

When I first received my XTZ, it was running 4.1.2. I gained root access using DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit. I also installed SuperSU Pro and enabled its Survival mode and Install SuperSU into /system settings. Doing that allowed me to update firmware builds via OTA twice without losing root access. I have chosen not to update to 4.3 for various reasons; however, I did attempt updating to 4.3 via OTA like I have in the past, but the update failed to install. And from what I have seen of 4.4.2 on my son's Nexus 7, I may chose not to update to 4.4.2 also. My 4.2.2 install is working flawlessly and my XTZ does everything I need it to do, so I see no reason for updating yet. I live by the aphorism "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

If you install 4.2.2 (via flashing, you can no longer do it via OTA), you can use Vroot - English version to gain root access. Be aware that in the past, Vroot had a bad reputation regarding its loading unwanted apps during the root process, but I believe xda-developers and Mgyun-team (Vroot developers) had a talk and Mgyun-team has since changed their ways. In my opinion, Vroot is now safe to use. Many people have posted saying they have used it and have not experienced any problems.

I do not know of any way to remove bloatware without having root access.

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
When I first received my XTZ, it was running 4.1.2. I gained root access using DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit. I also installed SuperSU Pro and enabled its Survival mode and Install SuperSU into /system settings. Doing that allowed me to update firmware builds via OTA twice without losing root access. I have chosen not to update to 4.3 for various reasons; however, I did attempt updating to 4.3 via OTA like I have in the past, but the update failed to install. And from what I have seen of 4.4.2 on my son's Nexus 7, I may chose not to update to 4.4.2 also. My 4.2.2 install is working flawlessly and my XTZ does everything I need it to do, so I see no reason for updating yet. I live by the aphorism "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

If you install 4.2.2 (via flashing, you can no longer do it via OTA), you can use Vroot - English version to gain root access. Be aware that in the past, Vroot had a bad reputation regarding its loading unwanted apps during the root process, but I believe xda-developers and Mgyun-team (Vroot developers) had a talk and Mgyun-team has since changed their ways. In my opinion, Vroot is now safe to use. Many people have posted saying they have used it and have not experienced any problems.

Damn, maybe I was a bit too hasty in rooting my tablet; why is it that I can no longer to OTA updates? If I were to buy SuperSU PRO (for survival mode) is there any benefit to me? I see that it allows for OTA updates.

I am currently rooted via Superuser (by clockworkmod).

When you say I'll need to install 4.2.2 by flashing, you mean through Flashtool, right? Which build should I get (and where, one of the development forums)?

Is the reason why one is advised to install custom roms via recovery mode in order to maintain root access (which I'm assuming doesn't happen if you flash through Flashtool)?

Something I forgot to mention earlier is that I did unlock the bootloader. I'm not sure if that helps or hinders me at this point.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all my questions. I really love this new toy, and I'm so terrified of bricking it.

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
If you install 4.2.2 (via flashing, you can no longer do it via OTA), you can use Vroot - English version to gain root access.

If I were to say flash this version: http://android.sc/official-android-4-2-2-on-xperia-tablet-z/ I should still be able to install Vroot, right?

Also, do you just manually remove the bloatware yourself, or is there a particular script/app that goes in and cleans up all the unnecessary stuff?

Cat McGowan

Apr 28, 2012
If I were to say flash this version: http://android.sc/official-android-4-2-2-on-xperia-tablet-z/ I should still be able to install Vroot, right?

Also, do you just manually remove the bloatware yourself, or is there a particular script/app that goes in and cleans up all the unnecessary stuff?

Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean 10.3.1.A.0.244 is for the SGP321. You have a SGP312, so you need firmware 10.3.1.C.0.136 (same as mine), which you should be able to download from HERE (upload credit goes to user named spectre51). Flash it then gain root access using Vroot.

Regarding SuperSU Pro versus Superuser, I use Chainfire's SuperSU Pro because it has superior functionality and more options compared to ChainsDD's Superuser. And I use SuperSU Pro because it is more likely to retain root access rights after an OTA update than the free version of SuperSU; e.g., SuperSU Pro provides OTA survival mode, the free version does not.

Regarding uninstalling bloatware, that is something you need to be careful with. Some apps you want to keep have dependencies on apps you consider bloatware and want to uninstall, especially when it concerns system apps. So, investigate the app before you uninstall it. Most times, I use Titanium Backup Pro or ROM Toolbox Pro to uninstall apps that cannot be uninstalled via the Apps list found in the tablet's Settings. At other times, I have had to use a file explorer and text editor to uninstall an app.

UberBaumer

Apr 18, 2014
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean 10.3.1.A.0.244 is for the SGP321. You have a SGP312, so you need firmware 10.3.1.C.0.136 (same as mine), which you should be able to download from HERE (upload credit goes to user named spectre51). Flash it then gain root access using Vroot.

Regarding SuperSU Pro versus Superuser, I use Chainfire's SuperSU Pro because it has superior functionality and more options compared to ChainsDD's Superuser. And I use SuperSU Pro because it is more likely to retain root access rights after an OTA update than the free version of SuperSU; e.g., SuperSU Pro provides OTA survival mode, the free version does not.

Regarding uninstalling bloatware, that is something you need to be careful with. Some apps you want to keep have dependencies on apps you consider bloatware and want to uninstall, especially when it concerns system apps. So, investigate the app before you uninstall it. Most times, I use Titanium Backup Pro or ROM Toolbox Pro to uninstall apps that cannot be uninstalled via the Apps list found in the tablet's Settings. At other times, I have had to use a file explorer and text editor to uninstall an app.

Thank you again my friend.

Is there a list of apps that are safe to uninstall, or, rather, a list of apps that I shouldn't tinker with (for fear of uninstalling an app that has a dependency on something critical)?

Also, I'm on the Google Play store and I see both Titanium Backup Pro and Rom Toolbox Pro. Should I buy both? If you had to buy just one, which would it be?

My main goal is to just make the smoothest experience possible. I want to take maximum advantage of the hardware in the tablet and have as few unnecessary programs running as possible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for the response!

You have a SGP312.